“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#21 Feb 15, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I just think long term it does nobody any good to raise it. The money has to come from somewhere to pay for it.
They could raise prices, but what good does it do to give raises if they're going to be paying more? And then there's the possibility that consumers will buy less due to their lower purchasing power. This especially will lower the standard of living among fixed-income retirees.
Or they cut hours or layoffs; or delayed/canceled expansion plans. This will put more pressure on social services, which will require more taxes, further eroding purchasing power.
It may also further encourage moving labor overseas.
I just don't see any plusses, except for the temporary increase in purchasing power to those whose wages are increased.
It furthers a push for automation, if I was a "transhumanist" I would support jacking up the minimum wage, it will incentivize automation and "memory and skill upgrades"

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#22 Feb 15, 2013
Spookhere F trollsp wrote:
<quoted text>
I see it this way when the government i.e. Hussein Obama says I don't need any more money, wells, land or guns then I say Hussein Obama doesn't neeed anymore sunlight or oxygen. Whay Hussein Obama does need is a a good strong rope around his neck.
Now, now, Spookerini. Careful.

I'm telling you, we all change the dependents on our W-4's on Monday to 13. No FWT, or very little will be withheld. Nothing due till an estimated payment on 4/15. Let the government operate on no taxes coming in for two months, and then try it again for the next 3. Perfectly legal. Self employed only deposit their estimated taxes on 4/15, 7/15, 10/15 and 1/15. You have to pay your taxes, but there is no law saying you have to have them deducted from your weekly check.
mike

Akron, OH

#23 Feb 15, 2013
The rate will not go up to 9 an hour. Its a mute point. Obama only pulls this stuff out of his azz so he can go to Chicago and pretend to care about his poor black brothers and sisters.

Ivy League-ISIS

#24 Feb 15, 2013
mike wrote:
The rate will not go up to 9 an hour. Its a mute point. Obama only pulls this stuff out of his azz so he can go to Chicago and pretend to care about his poor black brothers and sisters.
On the federal level, not in this congress, except in a sequestration deal.

On the state level, 10/hr is proposed in several blue states.

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#25 Feb 15, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Several years ago, a number of fast food restaurants had signs on their windows they were hiring at $10 to start, because they were so desperate for workers. It's ok when it's their idea, they just don't want to be mandated to do it. Which makes so sense. If they could afford it then, they can now.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#26 Feb 15, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
It'll be there soon in a couple. It's $9.19 in Washington state and $8.95 in Oregon. Both are tied to cost of living legislation.

Ivy League-ISIS

#27 Feb 15, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
<quoted text>
Several years ago, a number of fast food restaurants had signs on their windows they were hiring at $10 to start, because they were so desperate for workers. It's ok when it's their idea, they just don't want to be mandated to do it. Which makes so sense. If they could afford it then, they can now.
Where, North Dakota's oil patch?

Fast food is a major employer of illegals.

When did you see these signs, that 10/hr would be equivalent to 15/hr now, I don't recall any labor shortages in the post WWII era?

Ivy League-ISIS

#28 Feb 15, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>It'll be there soon in a couple. It's $9.19 in Washington state and $8.95 in Oregon. Both are tied to cost of living legislation.
Hey, how is their unemployment doing?

What, its around 1 point higher (WA) and 2 points higher (OR) than Ohio?

Seems like Kasich is doing a great job!

http://www.bls.gov/lau/

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#29 Feb 15, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Where, North Dakota's oil patch?
Fast food is a major employer of illegals.
When did you see these signs, that 10/hr would be equivalent to 15/hr now, I don't recall any labor shortages in the post WWII era?
In the late '90s, we had 2% unemployment here in Franklin County. Delaware County was closer to 1%. I remember signs for fast food starting at $10 an hour. There were manufacturing jobs available for 18 year old high school grads for $15 an hour with real benefits. Building an average home here took nine months instead of four months with the labor shortage.

Ivy League-ISIS

#30 Feb 15, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>In the late '90s, we had 2% unemployment here in Franklin County. Delaware County was closer to 1%. I remember signs for fast food starting at $10 an hour. There were manufacturing jobs available for 18 year old high school grads for $15 an hour with real benefits. Building an average home here took nine months instead of four months with the labor shortage.
Didn't know that, Cleveland economy has sucked my entire lifetime. Rates probably haven't been that low since WWII.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#31 Feb 15, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
<quoted text>
There's enough of a range of cost of living in this country that a higher wage makes more sense in some regions than in others.

Ivy League-ISIS

#32 Feb 15, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
There's enough of a range of cost of living in this country that a higher wage makes more sense in some regions than in others.
The higher minimum wages on the west coast, have likely fueled increases in the cost of living.

Planet Earth

#33 Feb 15, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
The higher minimum wages on the west coast, have likely fueled increases in the cost of living.
And increases in cost of living generate new calls for raising the minimum wage, and the cycle repeats...

Ivy League-ISIS

#34 Feb 15, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
And increases in cost of living generate new calls for raising the minimum wage, and the cycle repeats...
It is correct that the minimum wage once had higher purchasing power.

Around the same time, we had high inflation as well.

As long as society thinks that men playing kids games should get paid piles of cash, it has no money to demand that it "deserves" more. If the lower income bracket quit spending money on vice, lottery tickets and cable, there would be much less poverty.

But as long as there is an underclass, there will still be poverty, some ideas cannot be fixed by government, and some people are just not compatible in this society.

Location hidden

#35 Feb 15, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
<quoted text>
The key phrase is 'several years ago.' No where near the number of $ are going into the economny now, and much less eating out...eaven at fast food places. Lots have closed since 2008.

Location hidden

#36 Feb 15, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
It is correct that the minimum wage once had higher purchasing power.
Around the same time, we had high inflation as well.
As long as society thinks that men playing kids games should get paid piles of cash, it has no money to demand that it "deserves" more. If the lower income bracket quit spending money on vice, lottery tickets and cable, there would be much less poverty.
But as long as there is an underclass, there will still be poverty, some ideas cannot be fixed by government, and some people are just not compatible in this society.
The Bible says 'The poor will always be among us.'

When the economy dove under Carter I was worried because the family business was horse racing, and, I was scared. My much older brother told me, "Don't worry, the tracks will never close. Whenever there was a depression, people still gambled, because it gave them hope, and spent money on things that made them feel good." He was right.

There is a chaplaincy on every racetrack in North America with clergy present 24 X 7. And now that I think of it, very little violence.

My Dad's men got paid once a month and usually they had 'borrowed' most or all of it from him. He still had a rule: "No one gets an empty pay envelope." The man that had nothing coming, or owed him, still got a $10.00 bill. Quite a man, my Dad. I follow that rule today.

Location hidden

#38 Feb 15, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Then the feds should stop printing worthless money.

Planet Earth

#39 Feb 15, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Then the feds should stop printing worthless money.
I absolutely agree. It only steals value from the money already in existence.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#40 Feb 16, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible says 'The poor will always be among us.'
When the economy dove under Carter I was worried because the family business was horse racing, and, I was scared. My much older brother told me, "Don't worry, the tracks will never close. Whenever there was a depression, people still gambled, because it gave them hope, and spent money on things that made them feel good." He was right.
There is a chaplaincy on every racetrack in North America with clergy present 24 X 7. And now that I think of it, very little violence.
My Dad's men got paid once a month and usually they had 'borrowed' most or all of it from him. He still had a rule: "No one gets an empty pay envelope." The man that had nothing coming, or owed him, still got a $10.00 bill. Quite a man, my Dad. I follow that rule today.
You give your men envelopes with $10 in them?
Spookhere F trollsp

Toledo, OH

#41 Feb 16, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, now, Spookerini. Careful.
I'm telling you, we all change the dependents on our W-4's on Monday to 13. No FWT, or very little will be withheld. Nothing due till an estimated payment on 4/15. Let the government operate on no taxes coming in for two months, and then try it again for the next 3. Perfectly legal. Self employed only deposit their estimated taxes on 4/15, 7/15, 10/15 and 1/15. You have to pay your taxes, but there is no law saying you have to have them deducted from your weekly check.
I already file and pay quarterly. Everyone should have to do that. If there were no payroll deductions you can be people would be standing on the throat of the elected officials pissing away money .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 3 min Seriouslady 192
Obscene Bumber Stickers 26 min Big Papa Tea 5
Topix gets rid of Canton and Twinsburg posters!!! 29 min Big Papa Tea 4
Eric Garner died over cigarette tax enforcement. 1 hr justsayin 71
Another Epic Obama Accomplishment 1 hr BizzyBee 9
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 1 hr So sad 2,541
Should Witchcraft or Pagan Shops be 18+ ? 1 hr What Else 8
CIA Torture Report Comes Out Tomorrow 4 hr Dr Phillips PhD 252
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 13 hr Xenosteen 1,023
Columbus Dating