Whoreallycares

Columbus, OH

#263 Feb 17, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got news for you, Reader - you can write your representative, go see them in person, call them, email, etc., all you want - but in the end, they do what those who feed them financially tell them to do. And the "people" are not who I mean. In the case of health reform, it was the insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies, etc.
I surprisingly completely agree. But dont ignore that they had a racket going before that, along with physicians. They inflated the costs of everything under the premise of their mutual benefit. They'd charge you three thousand for a procedure that cost them 800 even after factoring in equiptment costs (I mean the original cost of the overpriced equipment strung along for the lifetime the machine is active and divided into an individual amount, as well as operating costs), and the insurance would pay out 1,500 for it while still claiming the three thousand cost... and everyone wins out except the person recieving the care.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#264 Feb 17, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>As did Reid and Obama in their respective positions.
Having a bad night tonight, Reader?
Obama adjourned what again?

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#265 Feb 17, 2013
Whoreallycares wrote:
<quoted text>
I surprisingly completely agree. But dont ignore that they had a racket going before that, along with physicians. They inflated the costs of everything under the premise of their mutual benefit. They'd charge you three thousand for a procedure that cost them 800 even after factoring in equiptment costs (I mean the original cost of the overpriced equipment strung along for the lifetime the machine is active and divided into an individual amount, as well as operating costs), and the insurance would pay out 1,500 for it while still claiming the three thousand cost... and everyone wins out except the person recieving the care.
It's "inflated" to recover the costs of treating Medicare and Medicaid patients. Those of us with private insurance pick up the slack. And in the case of hospitals, to cover the cost of the uninsured.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#267 Feb 17, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Obama adjourned what again?
His availability to work with Congress. Just as he did at Christmas, until he was forced to return and do his job. Then it cost us two round trips to Hawaii.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#268 Feb 17, 2013
Whoreallycares wrote:
I hate congress. I'll indescriminately come out and say it. Both parties have so many deadbeats leeching the blood right out of the countries veins, and thats ignoring the lobbyist dilemma. I do not see how they could ever make a sound decision to benefit the people of this country (the original implication) rather than the corporations, activist groups, etc. Its a bipartisan thing, don't take it so personally.
I don't much like the president's performance either, but you can't hang every hat you have on him and call it a day. I'm not sure who could've done much better with what they've had to work with over the past few years. Yah the progressive approach hasn't amounted to much but it was worth a shot as much as anything else. Besides how he operated politically (made some outright bad calls) he didn't do much to hurt our economy more than the economy hurt itself.
I bash Republicans on this forum so much because they make fucking ludicrous posts and spout off and act out with their dicks out more than anybody else.
No, you bash Republican because you're a leftist tool.
Try some honesty, kid. It might fill in for intelligence in your case.
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#269 Feb 17, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no magic in the published schedule and they are days away from their next sequestration crisis. Some members of the house preferred to extend the session to get some needed work done. As Speaker, Boehner chose instead to adjourn.
You said Congress, not the House. Googling again?
Whoreallycares

Columbus, OH

#270 Feb 17, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>It's "inflated" to recover the costs of treating Medicare and Medicaid patients. Those of us with private insurance pick up the slack. And in the case of hospitals, to cover the cost of the uninsured.
I was uninsured for awhile, had to pay out of pocket for everything. Sure there was a pamphlet and some forms I filled out that got my costs knocked down to only slightly higher than what the insurance companies pay... but Where is this free hospital care I keep hearing about?

If it was to "cover a cost" there shouldn't have been extreme capital gains all around from the whole thing. But hey, those high-costs meant the hospitals we're emptier! That justifies it all right?!
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#271 Feb 17, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, I do.
Even the most self-obsessed should be aware than poor health has ramifications that go far beyond the individual.
Pity that the self-obsessed Congress didn't recognize such when they wrote the bill.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#272 Feb 17, 2013
Whoreallycares wrote:
<quoted text>
I was uninsured for awhile, had to pay out of pocket for everything. Sure there was a pamphlet and some forms I filled out that got my costs knocked down to only slightly higher than what the insurance companies pay... but Where is this free hospital care I keep hearing about?
If it was to "cover a cost" there shouldn't have been extreme capital gains all around from the whole thing. But hey, those high-costs meant the hospitals we're emptier! That justifies it all right?!
When you learn what a "capital gain" is, you get back to us.
You're embarrassing yourself, kid.
VADoc

Warrenville, SC

#273 Feb 17, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
WW, it will never happen by 2014. They will never have their act together. IRS is so screwed up now that they are only accepting and processing 1040 short forms and it 2/16. Any return with prior year gains or losses, or a garden variety of simple issues, say, depreciation expense, they are not accepting and are unable to tell us when they will be set up to accept them. And you get no apology. Just the refusal to accept. I have never in my career seen any agency behave so unprofessionally and never had a return refused.
Now Twister will call this a lie, backed up by Che.
Anybody having better luck filing, let me know how. I'll tell you what, the baby mama getting triple her withholding given to her got it early this week. A whole two weeks after her 1040 was filed.
Yep did my taxes 3 weeks ago. Returns just for accepted 2/15. No idea how long it will take to process it. I'm excited. With moving expenses, mortgage interest, student loan interest, and paying out the maximum in taxes for my wife and i all year, we actually don't owe the feds a dime this year and only owe ohio $87. It felt like christmas! Yet my friend who does taxes has told me many of the baby mama crowd are already getting their refunds. And from the looks of all the flat screens I saw rolling out of Walmart this morning as I stopped to get my co-workers some donuts, it looks like most of the 47%'ers are already enjoying their large refunds.

And we wonder why our country has budget problems.
VADoc

Warrenville, SC

#274 Feb 17, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Now think about what happens to all kinds of things as a result, including spending on everything from groceries to automobiles to houses. Consider particularly what this does to the ability of the middle class to pay taxes, save for the future, send their children to college and on and on.
No problem?
And what do you think will happen if Obama gets his way and raises the minimum wage? See your rant above. That's what will happen. Those on the system will see no change in their lives for the long term but in the short term will have more money. The middle class will pay more for healthcare, pay more for gas, utilities, groceries, etc. and all while experiencing stagnant wages.

The rich aren't the problem. The rich are not who is pulling the middle class down.
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#275 Feb 17, 2013
VADoc wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep did my taxes 3 weeks ago. Returns just for accepted 2/15. No idea how long it will take to process it. I'm excited. With moving expenses, mortgage interest, student loan interest, and paying out the maximum in taxes for my wife and i all year, we actually don't owe the feds a dime this year and only owe ohio $87. It felt like christmas! Yet my friend who does taxes has told me many of the baby mama crowd are already getting their refunds. And from the looks of all the flat screens I saw rolling out of Walmart this morning as I stopped to get my co-workers some donuts, it looks like most of the 47%'ers are already enjoying their large refunds.
And we wonder why our country has budget problems.
It is...interesting to talk to one of those big box tax preparers at this time of year. And frankly, I'm tired of hearing people bragging about their return and what they will do with it (nothing responsible so far).
Whoreallycares

Columbus, OH

#276 Feb 17, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>When you learn what a "capital gain" is, you get back to us.
You're embarrassing yourself, kid.
If you accept capital is money, and a gain is... well a gain then I don't see whats so wrong with putting that there. So its a service and not a commodity, point is they're making out with more than their putting in by passing the costs to the consumer. You might as well be picking on my grammar again because you are still completely ignoring content in your posts alltogether. You make a couple quips, declare something unfounded, then do it again a few minutes later. Do you have any personal ideas (you know the ones that come from careful reflection) that aren't influenced by your ceaseless bias? I really don't have any love for the liberal agenda... I think republicans are just higher on my annoyance spectrum right now, there are 5 republican blowhards for every outspoken democrat. You're making your own bad reputation, and argue/attack/complain more than you propose. It'll get you nowhere.
VADoc

Warrenville, SC

#277 Feb 17, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how the gracious benefits that come with government employment are not mentioned at all.
woof
Gracious? Not really. They match the same as my previous employers for 401k. I pay the same for my wife and I to have health insurance. Dental and vision are extra. My deductible is slightly smaller than it was at my previous job but still not a huge change.

Now the folks on the old civil servant system which are those working before the 90's have some great benefits. The postal workers have better benefits than we va employees.

You want to talk about some benefits we can look at what the girl I used to date who was a teacher in Ohio received in benefits.

Now if you aren't educated and can get a job at the VA then yeah you get a good job. We pay our secretary over 30k a year and she barely graduated high school and has the personality of a wet paper bag. She wouldn't last 10 minutes at Burger King before they'd can her for her attitude. She's been moved 4 times (we are lucky office number 5 to get Ms. Personality) and still not fired.

If you like our benefits so much then get hired on as a lawyer with us. If you really are one that is.
Spookhere F trolls

United States

#278 Feb 17, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
It is...interesting to talk to one of those big box tax preparers at this time of year. And frankly, I'm tired of hearing people bragging about their return and what they will do with it (nothing responsible so far).
Refund, hell I have to send the parasite money every quarter. I have not had a refund for decades.
Whoreallycares

Columbus, OH

#279 Feb 17, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
It is...interesting to talk to one of those big box tax preparers at this time of year. And frankly, I'm tired of hearing people bragging about their return and what they will do with it (nothing responsible so far).
I sense a touch of envy and an abandonment of your belief that tax-breaks stimulate the economy. Oh, I get it, that only works if they give money to YOU, I see, you're just another taker. What about all those corporate tax breaks, do they make you jealous too? Wonder where that money will go. Think they'll pass that on to their employees to spend in the natural economy? or hand it out in bonus's or pass more big-bucks to their lobbyists to do it all over again, who i'd guess have little need to spend more because

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#280 Feb 17, 2013
Whoreallycares wrote:
<quoted text>
If you accept capital is money, and a gain is... well a gain then I don't see whats so wrong with putting that there. So its a service and not a commodity, point is they're making out with more than their putting in by passing the costs to the consumer. You might as well be picking on my grammar again because you are still completely ignoring content in your posts alltogether. You make a couple quips, declare something unfounded, then do it again a few minutes later. Do you have any personal ideas (you know the ones that come from careful reflection) that aren't influenced by your ceaseless bias? I really don't have any love for the liberal agenda... I think republicans are just higher on my annoyance spectrum right now, there are 5 republican blowhards for every outspoken democrat. You're making your own bad reputation, and argue/attack/complain more than you propose. It'll get you nowhere.
Kid, you're just an annoying pest. You're uneducated beyond your low IQ. If you want to continue embarrassing yourself, that's up to you. But you're also dishonest, and that will draw a lot of flak.
Now, for my good deed of the day, I'll teach you something you didn't know before:

Definition of 'Capital Gain'
1. An increase in the value of a capital asset (investment or real estate) that gives it a higher worth than the purchase price. The gain is not realized until the asset is sold. A capital gain may be short term (one year or less) or long term (more than one year) and must be claimed on income taxes. A capital loss is incurred when there is a decrease in the capital asset value compared to an asset's purchase price.

2. Profit that results when the price of a security held by a mutual fund rises above its purchase price and the security is sold (realized gain). If the security continues to be held, the gain is unrealized. A capital loss would occur when the opposite takes place.

Read more: http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/capitalga...
VADoc

Warrenville, SC

#281 Feb 17, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>It's "inflated" to recover the costs of treating Medicare and Medicaid patients. Those of us with private insurance pick up the slack. And in the case of hospitals, to cover the cost of the uninsured.
Shhhhh don't try and explain it to the little fella. Let him keep thinking we overcharge because we all secretly love money and and hate caring for patients. Don't ruin his fantasy!
Whoreallycares

Columbus, OH

#282 Feb 17, 2013
VADoc wrote:
<quoted text>
Gracious? Not really. They match the same as my previous employers for 401k. I pay the same for my wife and I to have health insurance. Dental and vision are extra. My deductible is slightly smaller than it was at my previous job but still not a huge change.
Now the folks on the old civil servant system which are those working before the 90's have some great benefits. The postal workers have better benefits than we va employees.
You want to talk about some benefits we can look at what the girl I used to date who was a teacher in Ohio received in benefits.
Now if you aren't educated and can get a job at the VA then yeah you get a good job. We pay our secretary over 30k a year and she barely graduated high school and has the personality of a wet paper bag. She wouldn't last 10 minutes at Burger King before they'd can her for her attitude. She's been moved 4 times (we are lucky office number 5 to get Ms. Personality) and still not fired.
If you like our benefits so much then get hired on as a lawyer with us. If you really are one that is.
I'd take the job at an 18k salary, probably do a better job, and give no one any sass. I keep my political, social, and personal opinions out of the workplace and treat everyone with the professional respect they deserve. Thats at work though, I thought everyone did that... people can really get away with being generally abhorrent in the workplace? That's a shame.
Whoreallycares

Columbus, OH

#283 Feb 17, 2013
VADoc wrote:
<quoted text>
Shhhhh don't try and explain it to the little fella. Let him keep thinking we overcharge because we all secretly love money and and hate caring for patients. Don't ruin his fantasy!
Well considering you're making 1/3 of what you made in private practice I'd say thats a pretty well founded accusation. Honestly the doctors are at the bottom of the chain when it comes to that. Pharmaceuticals have been at the top of ladder scraping more and more off the top for around twenty years.

But every cog in that machine plays a role, whether directly or by not taking action against it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Should the GOP cut its loses? 5 min Mimzy 909
News Former manager of Italian-ice shop pleads guilt... 46 min Seriouslady 6
This Forum Does No Such Thing! 49 min Beentheredonethat 21
Please help me find the love of my life 1 hr Slim Pickens 15
Is Drumpf Campaign Chief A Voter Fraud Felon? 1 hr They cannot kill ... 8
Trump spent campaign monies on own book 3 hr Linda 5
No Life, But Topix. 3 hr Linda 25
Trump the Liar 3 hr BizzyBee 930

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages