mike

Akron, OH

#223 Feb 17, 2013
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that what Obama does. Plays golf, Ski's, plays basketball, goes to Hawaii. And just travels around and gives speeches. Never governs. Which is his job. Obviously he does not like that part, because he has never ran anything and has no inclination to try. But he is god at snowing others into believing he is their savior. All on the TAXPAYER DIME!
Exactly right. Obama should be in Washington working with congress to pass his new initiatives, etc. Instead, he goes on the road where all the Obama voters will tell him how wonderful he is. Nothing gets done and then he can complain and blame it all on those mean republicans.

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#224 Feb 17, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Patronizing? Sound like you just want to b!tch.
First you posted here you said a meal out is about $50 and now you say you have to work to spend that much at a chain? Don't think you'd have to work all that hard. Most entrees on that menu were $12-$18 each. Minimum,$24 alone for the entrees. Add in your drinks and tips, and you're at $40.
I will give you one thing--eating at a chain isn't worth all that much. The food is only so-so in most chains. And $50 isn't worth what it was 20 years ago, either. It's a tank of gas these days. Think about that and get some perspective. If you don't want to, then don't. I eat at home quite a bit. But I don't find it something to moan about either to pay for a restaurant meal.
Cranky because the wife expected something more than a night at McDonald's for Valentines Day?
Linking me to the menu when I already stated I had been there plus the following quote from you "This isn't 1960 where a burger sells for 50 cents and you're going to the malt shop with your steady using the money you made as a paperboy..." is patronizing. As is the crack about Valentine's Day. You obviously think I'm some kind of dolt. Much as you would like to think so, I am not.

And what I said is paying $50-$60 for a steak is too much. That's ONE steak, not a meal for two. Look again at post #54. There are restaurants out there where they charge $50-60 for one steak, and in some of those the sides and everything else is extra.

Sorry, when all food you eat gets converted to the same waste product one to two days later, I am not spending a huge amount for food. You want to, go ahead, but in my opinion you are wasting your money.

I have yet to spend $50 on a tank of gas. Because I drive a fuel-efficient car that has some nice features. Don't need a status symbol.

We routinely eat at the chains, getting the entrees that they are good at, and spend $30 with tip,$35 tops. We don't get alcohol, we don't buy appetizers, we don't buy dessert. That's what we are happy with.

Now go on about your snobby self.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#225 Feb 17, 2013
Adif understanding wrote:
<quoted text>I've said it for a long time and I have seen little to indicate it is not true. The democrats tend to not think things through and instead concentrate more on appearing to be "doing something". And it doesn't matter if doing something actually touches what the problem was, the only thing is that they did something. Biden's gaff the other day about all this new gun control not preventing mass shootings like Aurora or Sandy Hook or saving a single life illustrates this.
OK, fair enough. Let's think this thing through.

How long do you think we can go on with large chunks of the population relying on Emergency Rooms and crises for their primary health care? We live in a closed system. That is the number one most expensive way to give health care and the cost doesn't just go away because the recipient doesn't have insurance or money in the bank.

You have any kind of solution to that problem?

The problem I see with a lot of conservatives is that they think that tearing apart a solution makes the problem go away.

Location hidden

#226 Feb 17, 2013
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly right. Obama should be in Washington working with congress to pass his new initiatives, etc. Instead, he goes on the road where all the Obama voters will tell him how wonderful he is. Nothing gets done and then he can complain and blame it all on those mean republicans.
Ummmm, Congress isn't in Washington.

Boehner sent them home.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#227 Feb 17, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Boehner sent them home.
Did he send Barry to Florida and Moochelle to Aspen, too?
And since when does Boehner have the power to send the Senate home?
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#228 Feb 17, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
How long do you think we can go on with large chunks of the population relying on Emergency Rooms and crises for their primary health care? We live in a closed system. That is the number one most expensive way to give health care and the cost doesn't just go away because the recipient doesn't have insurance or money in the bank.
The problem I see with a lot of conservatives is that they think that tearing apart a solution makes the problem go away.
In Massachusetts, where health insurance is mandated, ER use is up. Why? Long wait times to get in to see the doctor, and high deductibles which people can't afford. This is expected to be the case with our new mandated Obamacare as well (it is already known that the premiums costing the lowest will have the highest deductibles and cost-sharing). Please stop with the political rhetoric. The bronze plan - the one with the subsidies - has a high deductible and a 40% cost share, not all of which will be covered by subsidies. Which makes more sense for someone living paycheck to paycheck? To pay that or to have the costs written off at the hospital, and have those costs passed on to those with decent insurance?
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#229 Feb 17, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Boehner sent them home.
Really? I didn't know Boehner was in charge of the Senate. I guess I need to back to school.
Duke for Mayor

Canton, OH

#230 Feb 17, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Did he send Barry to Florida and Moochelle to Aspen, too?
And since when does Boehner have the power to send the Senate home?
Maybe that happened when Obama got the power to control gun crimes in Chicago.

woof

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#231 Feb 17, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe that happened when Obama got the power to control gun crimes in Chicago.
woof
His bathhouse buddy has it. Yet the beat goes on...
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#232 Feb 17, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Boehner sent them home.
If you're interested, the 2013 session calendar is published on the internet for both the House and the Senate. My apologies if you already knew this./s
Duke for Mayor

Canton, OH

#233 Feb 17, 2013
<quoted text>His bathhouse buddy has it. Yet the beat goes on...
Actually I think that power resides in the state legislature, city council, and most importantly, those sitting on the bench.

But hey, what do I know? I didn't go to Colby.

Carry on Paco.

woof
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#234 Feb 17, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem I see with a lot of liberals is that they assume political rhetoric is fact.

http://www.coloradotrust.org/news/news-releas...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/06/02/us-...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusett...

http://healthblog.ncpa.org/hospital-er-visits...

"It’s hard to access a doctor’s office or clinic under Medicare and Medicaid,” he said.“I think the real issue is how quickly we can create better infrastructure.”

http://capsules.kaiserhealthnews.org/index.ph...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/04/28/13...

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#235 Feb 17, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I think that power resides in the state legislature, city council, and most importantly, those sitting on the bench.
But hey, what do I know? I didn't go to Colby.
Carry on Paco.
woof
So the mayor of Chicago is powerless?

The Mayor of Chicago is the chief executive of Chicago, Illinois, the third largest city in the United States. He or she is charged with directing city departments and agencies, and with the advice and consent of the Chicago City Council, appoints department and agency leaders.

The Mayor appoints the Commissioner of the Chicago Fire Department and Superintendent of the Chicago Police Department. Under Richard M. Daley, the Illinois legislature granted the mayor power to appoint the Chief Executive Officer of the Chicago Public Schools and subordinated the district under the mayor's authority; the district had long been an independent political field.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayor_of_Chicago

You're a "lawyer," right?
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#236 Feb 17, 2013
<quoted text>So the mayor of Chicago is powerless?
The Mayor of Chicago is the chief executive of Chicago, Illinois, the third largest city in the United States. He or she is charged with directing city departments and agencies, and with the advice and consent of the Chicago City Council, appoints department and agency leaders.
The Mayor appoints the Commissioner of the Chicago Fire Department and Superintendent of the Chicago Police Department. Under Richard M. Daley, the Illinois legislature granted the mayor power to appoint the Chief Executive Officer of the Chicago Public Schools and subordinated the district under the mayor's authority; the district had long been an independent political field.
Woof woof woof!!!
Duke for Mayor

Canton, OH

#237 Feb 17, 2013
<quoted text>So the mayor of Chicago is powerless?
I'd say the Mayor has much less power to stop endemic crime than city council, the state legislature, and sitting judges before whom convicted criminals and defendants appear...absolutely.

But once again...I didn't go to Colby.

woof

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#238 Feb 17, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say the Mayor has much less power to stop endemic crime than city council, the state legislature, and sitting judges before whom convicted criminals and defendants appear...absolutely.
But once again...I didn't go to Colby.
woof
Really? Funny...Rudy Giuliani managed it in a city two and a half times the size. Murders decreased by 70% over the eight years his was in office.
Did I mention he was a Republican?

Location hidden

#239 Feb 17, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
In Massachusetts, where health insurance is mandated, ER use is up. Why? Long wait times to get in to see the doctor, and high deductibles which people can't afford. This is expected to be the case with our new mandated Obamacare as well (it is already known that the premiums costing the lowest will have the highest deductibles and cost-sharing). Please stop with the political rhetoric. The bronze plan - the one with the subsidies - has a high deductible and a 40% cost share, not all of which will be covered by subsidies. Which makes more sense for someone living paycheck to paycheck? To pay that or to have the costs written off at the hospital, and have those costs passed on to those with decent insurance?
Again, long on criticism, short on solutions.

Location hidden

#240 Feb 17, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
If you're interested, the 2013 session calendar is published on the internet for both the House and the Senate. My apologies if you already knew this./s
And ...?

Location hidden

#241 Feb 17, 2013
<quoted text>Really? Funny...Rudy Giuliani managed it in a city two and a half times the size. Murders decreased by 70% over the eight years his was in office.
Did I mention he was a Republican?
But you agree that the power does not rest with the President, correct?
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#242 Feb 17, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, long on criticism, short on solutions.
What? Criticism? Those are FACTS that were not studied by me. Is it easier to make a remark like that rather than admit you were, as SL says, "skunked"? I suppose you'll be telling me to leave Topix again. Well, I'm not. Try doing your homework before you get off on a long, wordy, faulty response under the guise of "discussion". KISS, KWIM?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Any body know her? 9 min HoOtyWoO 2
Squeez 9 min Mitch 8
Hog on the trough or can? 11 min HoOtyWoO 2
What do you think? Pretty cool, huh? 39 min HoOtyWoO 6
Trump Borrowed $ From Russians, A Tax Secret Mu... 41 min Duke for Mayor 18
Lawn 43 min HoOtyWoO 23
President Trump Begs Congress to Hurt Healthcar... 51 min jimbob 7
Why are Trump's Kids so ugly? 1 hr HoOtyWoO 94
Dems in disarray- Well, yeah! 4 hr Reality 986
Robert Mueller Investigating Donald Trump 11 hr 404 not found 583
News Scandal forces appraisal of gay issues | The Co... (Oct '10) Sun Real Curious 305

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages