First Prev
of 52
Next Last

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#1 Feb 12, 2013
I listened to the address and Obama saying the minimum wage should be raised to $9.00 an hour and I have a couple of questions.

Isn't this raise going to cut the standard of living for those making over the new minimum?

What did they do to deserve this intentional infliction of distress?

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#2 Feb 12, 2013
Tony, can't disagree. This has been an ongoing debate since the inception of the minimum wage. Every time it's raised, it causes costs of a lot of things to increase, including basic commodities such as groceries and gas or it actually decreases the number of those employed at minimum wage in economically distressed regions.

I didn't listen. I can't stomach any longer. I get fed doses of the political schwing all day long right now...
adif understanding

Lancaster, OH

#3 Feb 12, 2013
That's one of the problems with democrats. They don't look into the deep implications of what they intend to do. If it just feels good or elevates their standing, it must be the right thing to do. The problem with them practicing their Keynesian economics is that it defaults to having deep impacts into society that aren't often superficially obvious. There are loads of areas in which half assed solutions have made things worse while the claim of making it better was tossed out. Healthcare since the 1960's is one of them.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#4 Feb 12, 2013
I'm not sure that the arguments of "Dem bad", "Repub good" are making the mark here.

Minimum wages have been raised under both liberal and conservative administrations. It's simply a "feel good, get the popularity ratings up" move. But yes, it is generally a superficial move that really doesn't stimulate the economy. It pushes the cost of some marginal goods up (things that are generally price sensitive like commodities and gasoline) and it marginally increases the buying power of those on the lower end of the spectrum. It doesn't increase economic activity overall, it doesn't increase or trigger any consumer movement (large purchases such as houses, cars, big ticket items), and it only very marginally increases the monies lining the state and federal tax coffers.
adif understanding

Lancaster, OH

#5 Feb 12, 2013
I didn't day republicans are good. I said the dems have a problem of not thinking things through and history supports this.

Raising the minimum wage pleases the peasants but as has been noted carries a lot of baggage which is a big problem.

However, minimum wage was never designed to be a living wage, it was always just the minimum that those with minimum work skills and qualifications would start with. It is designed for high school students and people still living with mom and dad so they aren't being taken advantage of. It allows companies to higher and train employees who later become productive to the enterprise they are part of. In short, minimum wage jobs are supposed to be stepping stones to real employment. If that is not happening, if 35 year old people are trying to earn a living from 35 hours a week at McDonald's, or the local sweatshop factory doesn't pay any more then that then the failing is not in how much the pay is but other areas that need to be addressed.

Failing to address these real problems is a prime reason single income working families are largely a thing of the past. Government likes multiple income families because it provides a larger tax base. It allows them to spend more. It allows them to fix problems that are never fixed. It gives idiots purpose and a following demanding results. the problem with democrats is when they find themselves in a hole, they don't stop digging, they just place the shovel into the other hand.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#6 Feb 12, 2013
Minimum wage primarily throws black and Latin teens out of work.

For a party that claims to be for "youth and minorities" the Ds can't be legitimate on minimum wage.
VADoc

United States

#7 Feb 13, 2013
Ah yes let's raise the minimum wage and cause massive inflation while anyone with a college education will have their wages frozen as the costs of everyday necessities increase in cost as well as their health insurance.

Lets race to the bottom with Obama.
Dude Watson

Cleveland, OH

#8 Feb 13, 2013
Let's put Obama on minimum wage. He does the minimum and is minimal as a President.
animal control

Marengo, OH

#9 Feb 13, 2013
Obama saying the minimum wage should be raised to $9.00 .....????.

it allrady iz

Datz only $40 buckz extra per week......Baby!

~no charge

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#10 Feb 14, 2013
The minimum wage law is a bagatelle, I would much rather see a MAXIMUM wage law.

The POTUS makes $400,000 a year, is responsible for all the nukes and military, and has about 3 million employees. No way anyone else should make more than 10 times that in salary, i.e.$4 million.

They can be granted a 20% bonus to buy their own stock today at today's prices. If their company does great, they can cash that in and profit accordingly. If not, they'll suffer accordingly.

No way anyone NEEDS more than $5 million a year.
Spivey

Dunn, NC

#11 Feb 14, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
I listened to the address and Obama saying the minimum wage should be raised to $9.00 an hour and I have a couple of questions.
Isn't this raise going to cut the standard of living for those making over the new minimum?
Well, very interesting but not well thought out points.

Here's an idea: How about addressing those ideas to the members of Congress and the Senate who are totally out of touch with the entrenched poverty in this country? Maybe they could, oh, forfeit their salaries for two years? Or, do you prefer continuing to apply pressure to the throats of your fellow citizens struggling to eke out an existence while the president the majority of them nominated is fought at every turn?

Oh. Right. You don't WANT to think about those things. Alright then. Well, you could just admit it instead of obfuscating with neo-con rhetoric.

Ivy League-ISIS

#12 Feb 14, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
The minimum wage law is a bagatelle, I would much rather see a MAXIMUM wage law.
The POTUS makes $400,000 a year, is responsible for all the nukes and military, and has about 3 million employees. No way anyone else should make more than 10 times that in salary, i.e.$4 million.
They can be granted a 20% bonus to buy their own stock today at today's prices. If their company does great, they can cash that in and profit accordingly. If not, they'll suffer accordingly.
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100461801

It probably costs more than 5 mil to fuel that up for one trip, clearly some need more than 5 million

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#13 Feb 14, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.cnbc.com/id/100461801
It probably costs more than 5 mil to fuel that up for one trip, clearly some need more than 5 million
Nobody NEEDS a yacht.

Ivy League-ISIS

#14 Feb 14, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody NEEDS a yacht.
Your jealousy is reeking off onto the rest of us.

The yacht industry employs tens of thousands of people.

If you are rich, yes, you need a yacht.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#15 Feb 14, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody NEEDS a yacht.
Nobody NEEDS air conditioning, a second car or booze. Right?

Ivy League-ISIS

#16 Feb 14, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody NEEDS air conditioning, a second car or booze. Right?
No one "Needs" to live past 65...think what we could redirect the SS money into...

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#17 Feb 14, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
It's a 24% increase out of the gate. When did you ever get a 24% raise?
Frankly, some employees aren't worth the $7.25 an hour. The ones that excel, move up.
It will speed up the already increasing inflation (watch what gasoline goes to) and it will cause more massive unemployment as
'mom n pop-pop' businesses can't pay it and stay afloat.
It's just another Obama entitlement to keep him popular and the dems in control.
Sounds good. Won't be.
You can't help the economy with other people's money.

Of course, what Obama says and what he actually does never match up.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#18 Feb 14, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
You're nuts. When the government starts telling us how much we 'need' or can 'earn'....I am out of here. Are you insane?

My boss needs more than 5 million a year. He11, he gives away 3 million to charity and pays 2.5 million just in federal income tax. Lord knows what he generates in salaries to others (well, I know) and consumption of goods and services that create jobs.

The evil, wicked man.
Spookhere F trollsp

United States

#19 Feb 15, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
You're nuts. When the government starts telling us how much we 'need' or can 'earn'....I am out of here. Are you insane?
My boss needs more than 5 million a year. He11, he gives away 3 million to charity and pays 2.5 million just in federal income tax. Lord knows what he generates in salaries to others (well, I know) and consumption of goods and services that create jobs.
The evil, wicked man.
I see it this way when the government i.e. Hussein Obama says I don't need any more money, wells, land or guns then I say Hussein Obama doesn't neeed anymore sunlight or oxygen. Whay Hussein Obama does need is a a good strong rope around his neck.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#20 Feb 15, 2013
Spivey wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, very interesting but not well thought out points.
Here's an idea: How about addressing those ideas to the members of Congress and the Senate who are totally out of touch with the entrenched poverty in this country? Maybe they could, oh, forfeit their salaries for two years? Or, do you prefer continuing to apply pressure to the throats of your fellow citizens struggling to eke out an existence while the president the majority of them nominated is fought at every turn?
Oh. Right. You don't WANT to think about those things. Alright then. Well, you could just admit it instead of obfuscating with neo-con rhetoric.
I just think long term it does nobody any good to raise it. The money has to come from somewhere to pay for it.

They could raise prices, but what good does it do to give raises if they're going to be paying more? And then there's the possibility that consumers will buy less due to their lower purchasing power. This especially will lower the standard of living among fixed-income retirees.

Or they cut hours or layoffs; or delayed/canceled expansion plans. This will put more pressure on social services, which will require more taxes, further eroding purchasing power.

It may also further encourage moving labor overseas.

I just don't see any plusses, except for the temporary increase in purchasing power to those whose wages are increased.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 52
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rod Parsley says ministry threatened by lack of... (Dec '09) 38 min Chris 760
COPS lives MATTER 1 hr They cannot kill ... 48
Should Suspected Pedophiles be Tortured? 1 hr yeah they are 14
Hand outs 1 hr White cop 10
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr Police Crimes 4,838
I found Mr Tea 2 hr White cop 8
Parsley urgently appeals for cash | The Columbu... (Dec '09) 4 hr Joyce 393
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 5 hr Reality Speaks 312
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]