Foster parents may get flat rate | Th...

Foster parents may get flat rate | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 25 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Dec 11, 2009, titled Foster parents may get flat rate | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Franklin County Children Services is considering a plan to pay all of its foster parents the same daily rate, a change from a longstanding policy of paying different rates based on a foster child's age and day-care needs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nicky

Media, PA

#21 Mar 8, 2014
rtrw wrote:
i'd say if someone cannot afford to care for a child, they should not be foster parents. maybe they can submit day care expenses to fccs.
I think you should shut up rich people don't care about nobody but there self they not helping nobody but there self they don't know the trouble it is when u don't have cuz they rich so I think if u broke and u got a good heart and wanna help a kid then do it
Pink Elephant

Reynoldsburg, OH

#22 Mar 8, 2014
Nicky wrote:
<quoted text>I think you should shut up rich people don't care about nobody but there self they not helping nobody but there self they don't know the trouble it is when u don't have cuz they rich so I think if u broke and u got a good heart and wanna help a kid then do it
A rich person here... a very rich person, so you need to listen because I am rich and you are poor. It is you who should shut up, po' girl. I light my cigars with the hair of people like you... while it's still on their heads.
waverly Resident

Wilmington, OH

#23 Mar 11, 2014
grammy wrote:
I have raised two children and helped raise my grandchildren. I was a teacher for many years. My own children and grandchildren don't have that much money spent on them for necessities. I have to say, from observation, that many of these foster parents are making a lot of money. I know someone who has many foster children. They get $1,000 a month per child. Neither parent has held down a job for any length of time. They don't need to. With 9 foster children they get $9,000 a month. That's more than I ever made as a teacher with a master's degree plus. As a parent I was up at night, up at the crack of dawn, took my children to many doctor's appointments as they both had medical problems, took them to their activities etc. I wasn't paid for it. I did it out of love.
I recently saw an article in the paper that foster children are petitioning to have the government continue support payments until they are 21. They want the support while they further their education. Really? That is offensive. Let them do what most children do who want to go to college, work part time and go to school. I did it. They can do it too. They are not entitled. If people want to be foster parents, wonderful. Let them be like a regular parent and do it out of love.$500 a month once a child reaches school age is plenty to support a child. The parents should do what other parents do. Go to work to support the children. The rest of us do it. Otherwise you don't really want to be a parent. You just want to stay home and live off the rest of us.
.........I know a set of foster parents that have 6 foster kids. They get 1000 dollars for each These people are rolling in the dough because of the money they get for foster care.plus a medical card and clothing vochers for their clothing. The foster parents buy their own clothes with the vochers plus have 4 New vehicles and live in a new house. They also have rental property that they collect thousands off of. Me on the other hand am raising 2 grandchildren who was in the care of childrens services because their parents died. I went to court, got custody of the kids and the money I get for them is 551 dollars for each kid per month. It is plenty for taking care of them. The only help I got from childrens services was 1 toy each at Christmas time. The money they get comes from social security from their fathers work history. I don't think it is right that they pay foster parents more. Not that I think I should get more. I think foster parents should get less. If I do well on less money they can too. I also have to deal with the doctor visits, grief counciling, going to the schools but it is enough to take care of their needs. Might I also add that these foster parents I know take the kids to a sitter quite frequently and when someone doesn't have much money 40 dollars a day is a bargain to them to watch these foster kids when the foster parents need a break for 2 to 3 days a week. The sitter has the kids almost as much as the foster parents.

Newark, OH

#25 Dec 23, 2014
grammy wrote:
I have raised two children and helped raise my grandchildren. I was a teacher for many years. My own children and grandchildren don't have that much money spent on them for necessities. I have to say, from observation, that many of these foster parents are making a lot of money. I know someone who has many foster children. They get $1,000 a month per child. Neither parent has held down a job for any length of time. They don't need to. With 9 foster children they get $9,000 a month. That's more than I ever made as a teacher with a master's degree plus. As a parent I was up at night, up at the crack of dawn, took my children to many doctor's appointments as they both had medical problems, took them to their activities etc. I wasn't paid for it. I did it out of love.
I recently saw an article in the paper that foster children are petitioning to have the government continue support payments until they are 21. They want the support while they further their education. Really? That is offensive. Let them do what most children do who want to go to college, work part time and go to school. I did it. They can do it too. They are not entitled. If people want to be foster parents, wonderful. Let them be like a regular parent and do it out of love.$500 a month once a child reaches school age is plenty to support a child. The parents should do what other parents do. Go to work to support the children. The rest of us do it. Otherwise you don't really want to be a parent. You just want to stay home and live off the rest of us.
Wow an your a teacher ! Shame on all of you for judging people you don't know , taking in children that no one else will. "Staying home and living off the rest of us " ... I would like to see a foster parent strike !!! Then what ? As a school teacher you should know first hand what some of these children are like and that in some cases there is not a dollar amount to place on them and the love they need . Maybe you should be a teacher out of love ! How many teacher strikes have we seen because you think your not paid enough of our tax dollars just to spend the day with all our children . You sound like a bad influence on children , find another job
Rhonda

Cincinnati, OH

#26 Wednesday May 20
connie M wrote:
I'm sorry - paying people $1,000 a month for taking care of a child is crazy. It's just an incentive for people who need money. That's more than the majority of divorced parents get for child support. It should be a reimbursement of the actual costs of necessities, not a source of income.
ok then where do you except these children to go ? Why don't you open your home up for free and take care of kids . No you wouldn't do that . And no one would ! I open my home up to children's services to help provide a home for children who need a place to call home while their parents get help ( if they get help ). I do get paid . Enough to provide for the 4 kids I got . Have you looked at the prices of clothes and food and gas latey? I go threw a private agency and I don't get $1,000 a month . Your crazy to think this is a way to make money ! I get enough to provide for them. Connie you need to get a life ! Until you can open your doors up for free and let 4 kids in your home for free then keep your mouth shut ! Foster parents need that money to help raise these children ! This is a stressful heart braking job ! I do it out of love for kids and to help our country ! I get less then a $.80 cents an hour . Now do you think it's a way to get rich! You have no idea !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Muslim hunter, Now hunted 5 min Reality Speaks 29
Worst President in History 22 min Pope Che Reagan C... 331
News Kasich Not Invited To Speak At Big Conservative... 29 min Pope Che Reagan C... 31
dana turtle 1 hr RichnBlessings 21
News Contact lens supplier adding 50 jobs in Columbus 2 hr Big Johnson 1
Do Atheist Firemen go to Hell or Heaven? 3 hr d pantz 186
If There is Anything I Can't Stand! 4 hr Pale Rider 87
The End is Nigh! 9 hr Reality Speaks 31
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]