Foster parents may get flat rate | Th...

Foster parents may get flat rate | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 34 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Dec 11, 2009, titled Foster parents may get flat rate | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Franklin County Children Services is considering a plan to pay all of its foster parents the same daily rate, a change from a longstanding policy of paying different rates based on a foster child's age and day-care needs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nicky

Conshohocken, PA

#21 Mar 8, 2014
rtrw wrote:
i'd say if someone cannot afford to care for a child, they should not be foster parents. maybe they can submit day care expenses to fccs.
I think you should shut up rich people don't care about nobody but there self they not helping nobody but there self they don't know the trouble it is when u don't have cuz they rich so I think if u broke and u got a good heart and wanna help a kid then do it
Pink Elephant

Blacklick, OH

#22 Mar 8, 2014
Nicky wrote:
<quoted text>I think you should shut up rich people don't care about nobody but there self they not helping nobody but there self they don't know the trouble it is when u don't have cuz they rich so I think if u broke and u got a good heart and wanna help a kid then do it
A rich person here... a very rich person, so you need to listen because I am rich and you are poor. It is you who should shut up, po' girl. I light my cigars with the hair of people like you... while it's still on their heads.
waverly Resident

Carroll, OH

#23 Mar 11, 2014
grammy wrote:
I have raised two children and helped raise my grandchildren. I was a teacher for many years. My own children and grandchildren don't have that much money spent on them for necessities. I have to say, from observation, that many of these foster parents are making a lot of money. I know someone who has many foster children. They get $1,000 a month per child. Neither parent has held down a job for any length of time. They don't need to. With 9 foster children they get $9,000 a month. That's more than I ever made as a teacher with a master's degree plus. As a parent I was up at night, up at the crack of dawn, took my children to many doctor's appointments as they both had medical problems, took them to their activities etc. I wasn't paid for it. I did it out of love.
I recently saw an article in the paper that foster children are petitioning to have the government continue support payments until they are 21. They want the support while they further their education. Really? That is offensive. Let them do what most children do who want to go to college, work part time and go to school. I did it. They can do it too. They are not entitled. If people want to be foster parents, wonderful. Let them be like a regular parent and do it out of love.$500 a month once a child reaches school age is plenty to support a child. The parents should do what other parents do. Go to work to support the children. The rest of us do it. Otherwise you don't really want to be a parent. You just want to stay home and live off the rest of us.
.........I know a set of foster parents that have 6 foster kids. They get 1000 dollars for each These people are rolling in the dough because of the money they get for foster care.plus a medical card and clothing vochers for their clothing. The foster parents buy their own clothes with the vochers plus have 4 New vehicles and live in a new house. They also have rental property that they collect thousands off of. Me on the other hand am raising 2 grandchildren who was in the care of childrens services because their parents died. I went to court, got custody of the kids and the money I get for them is 551 dollars for each kid per month. It is plenty for taking care of them. The only help I got from childrens services was 1 toy each at Christmas time. The money they get comes from social security from their fathers work history. I don't think it is right that they pay foster parents more. Not that I think I should get more. I think foster parents should get less. If I do well on less money they can too. I also have to deal with the doctor visits, grief counciling, going to the schools but it is enough to take care of their needs. Might I also add that these foster parents I know take the kids to a sitter quite frequently and when someone doesn't have much money 40 dollars a day is a bargain to them to watch these foster kids when the foster parents need a break for 2 to 3 days a week. The sitter has the kids almost as much as the foster parents.

Newark, OH

#25 Dec 23, 2014
grammy wrote:
I have raised two children and helped raise my grandchildren. I was a teacher for many years. My own children and grandchildren don't have that much money spent on them for necessities. I have to say, from observation, that many of these foster parents are making a lot of money. I know someone who has many foster children. They get $1,000 a month per child. Neither parent has held down a job for any length of time. They don't need to. With 9 foster children they get $9,000 a month. That's more than I ever made as a teacher with a master's degree plus. As a parent I was up at night, up at the crack of dawn, took my children to many doctor's appointments as they both had medical problems, took them to their activities etc. I wasn't paid for it. I did it out of love.
I recently saw an article in the paper that foster children are petitioning to have the government continue support payments until they are 21. They want the support while they further their education. Really? That is offensive. Let them do what most children do who want to go to college, work part time and go to school. I did it. They can do it too. They are not entitled. If people want to be foster parents, wonderful. Let them be like a regular parent and do it out of love.$500 a month once a child reaches school age is plenty to support a child. The parents should do what other parents do. Go to work to support the children. The rest of us do it. Otherwise you don't really want to be a parent. You just want to stay home and live off the rest of us.
Wow an your a teacher ! Shame on all of you for judging people you don't know , taking in children that no one else will. "Staying home and living off the rest of us " ... I would like to see a foster parent strike !!! Then what ? As a school teacher you should know first hand what some of these children are like and that in some cases there is not a dollar amount to place on them and the love they need . Maybe you should be a teacher out of love ! How many teacher strikes have we seen because you think your not paid enough of our tax dollars just to spend the day with all our children . You sound like a bad influence on children , find another job
Rhonda

New Lebanon, OH

#26 May 20, 2015
connie M wrote:
I'm sorry - paying people $1,000 a month for taking care of a child is crazy. It's just an incentive for people who need money. That's more than the majority of divorced parents get for child support. It should be a reimbursement of the actual costs of necessities, not a source of income.
ok then where do you except these children to go ? Why don't you open your home up for free and take care of kids . No you wouldn't do that . And no one would ! I open my home up to children's services to help provide a home for children who need a place to call home while their parents get help ( if they get help ). I do get paid . Enough to provide for the 4 kids I got . Have you looked at the prices of clothes and food and gas latey? I go threw a private agency and I don't get $1,000 a month . Your crazy to think this is a way to make money ! I get enough to provide for them. Connie you need to get a life ! Until you can open your doors up for free and let 4 kids in your home for free then keep your mouth shut ! Foster parents need that money to help raise these children ! This is a stressful heart braking job ! I do it out of love for kids and to help our country ! I get less then a $.80 cents an hour . Now do you think it's a way to get rich! You have no idea !
Moi

Reynoldsburg, OH

#27 Jun 21, 2016
connie M wrote:
I'm sorry - paying people $1,000 a month for taking care of a child is crazy. It's just an incentive for people who need money. That's more than the majority of divorced parents get for child support. It should be a reimbursement of the actual costs of necessities, not a source of income.
You do realize that you are looking at this from an uninformed perspective right? You are mistakenly looking at this from your experience as a parent. These children that are coming into your home are all traumatized. Most have been severely neglected, physically abused and in some cases all of the above as well as sexually abused. These are broken kids. There is a LOT more going on that merely "providing child care"

Current legal requirements are that as a prospective foster parent you have to go through a substantial amount of training much of it centered around dealing with the trauma these kids have dealt with.

The foster parent is responsible for any damage that occurs in their home when one of these kids acts out. If the child destroys a wall or furniture, breaks windows dishes or appliances.... that out of YOUR pocket. And yes, Connie it happens regularly.

It would be wise to have ALL of the facts before you display your ignorance for all to see....My wife and I are considering becoming foster parents are are in the middle of the classes... the more I hear about the trauma these kids have experience the more concerned I am that we may not be equipped to deal with these kids.
Moi

Reynoldsburg, OH

#28 Jun 21, 2016
grammy wrote:
What foster parents are failing to see is that regular parents do the same things and THEY DON'T GET PAID! Your comments about how you don't get enough money for what you do show that you are foster parents for the money, not the children!
You are an dingbat
Oh my

Mason, OH

#29 Aug 3, 2016
pengirl wrote:
<quoted text>
that's not true. They get paid plenty. It depends on who is determining the rate and who is in cahoots with who. In montgomery county they lie to you when the child comes into care. MOst don't know until they have the child two days later what the rate would be, but for the most part ... they are over paid. I know all about it. Been there and done it.
Even if I got paid $1000 a month, which I don't that would average out to be $1.34 an hour.$1.34 an hour to love, nurture, teach, feed, cloth, bathe, change, and provide for children that have been unloved, uncared for, abused, and neglected. Screaming fits and many sleepless nights. Sick drug addicted babies in so much pain it breaks your heart every time you look at them. We love them like they're our own knowing they may have to go back to the horrible situation they came from. Trust me, it's not about money!
Dottiew

United States

#30 Oct 6, 2016
pengirl wrote:
I was a foster parent for Montgomery country for many years. They honestly do work hard for the money. Sure we loved the children, but it's not like a daycare center. They are our own children. At least they were to me. And I adopted two that nobody else wanted due to their medical needs; prematurity and drug dependency. But there is a huge mess with the payment. They should set a one rate for across the board. For years, I know of many who were treated unfair. Some families received more even if the child didn't require a lot of extra effort like doctor appointments etc. Then there were kids who had tons of medical needs; doctor appointments, speech therapy, physical therapy, etc. and these parents, or I should say the mother could not work as the child required a lot of care that couldn't be met in a normal daycare setting etc. So the pay was slightly higher, but again even that depended on what the nursing personel determined the rate should be. If you were in basically cahoots with them, you got a higher board pay, some of the parents with special needs children though didn't get what they deserved for twenty four hour nursing care/parenting, and that was not fair. I say let the state determine one rate across the board for the kids without special needs, and set a rate for the ones with special needs, quit paying the parents thirty five dollars an hour for classes, instead let them go online and do it free with only two instructors per the webpage for all 88 counties etc. You talk about saving money??? I added it up. It is well into the millions. Sure some may quit, but then again you'll find out who was in it for the money. And I say, only have two or even one nurse per agency. I know they don't do that much. I seen it first hand. CUT CUT CUT them out and stop having tax payers pay for unnecessary jobs. I know of two nurses that sit a lot in the office and push a pencil and gosspip.
So i have had a child that is nine years old , have had him since he was three months old .(ON AND OFF) BUT THE MAJORITY OF NINE YEARS .HE HAS FIVE SIBLINGS , ALL TEEN GIRLS AND THEY HAVE BEEN THROUGH MILL.We get nothing at all for our god child no help at all because hes not a blood relation. Had i been smart i would have became a foster parent to all five .Now they are seperated in different homes . And need alot of attention and care .FOR A TRUE FOSTER PARENT 1,000$ A MONTH ISN'T NEARLY ENOUGH TO TAKE CARE OF CHILDREN PROPERLY!!!! IN CASE ANYONE READING IS WOUNDERING I HAVE CHILDREN OF MY OWN AGES 28,27,24.AN OFFICER A NURSE ,AND A SENIOR PHARMACY TECH.AND IT COST MY HUSBAND AND I MORE THAN A 1,000 $ A MONTH .
hogetta

Marysville, OH

#31 Oct 6, 2016
Moi wrote:
<quoted text>

You are an dingbat
Negative
hogetta

Marysville, OH

#32 Oct 6, 2016
Moi wrote:
<quoted text>

You do realize that you are looking at this from an uninformed perspective right? You are mistakenly looking at this from your experience as a parent. These children that are coming into your home are all traumatized. Most have been severely neglected, physically abused and in some cases all of the above as well as sexually abused. These are broken kids. There is a LOT more going on that merely "providing child care"

Current legal requirements are that as a prospective foster parent you have to go through a substantial amount of training much of it centered around dealing with the trauma these kids have dealt with.

The foster parent is responsible for any damage that occurs in their home when one of these kids acts out. If the child destroys a wall or furniture, breaks windows dishes or appliances.... that out of YOUR pocket. And yes, Connie it happens regularly.

It would be wise to have ALL of the facts before you display your ignorance for all to see....My wife and I are considering becoming foster parents are are in the middle of the classes... the more I hear about the trauma these kids have experience the more concerned I am that we may not be equipped to deal with these kids.
Negative
shannon l

Philadelphia, PA

#33 Oct 24, 2016
rtrw wrote:
i'd say if someone cannot afford to care for a child, they should not be foster parents. maybe they can submit day care expenses to fccs.
That's absurd. Someone had to care for these children. You don't turn a profit fostering. The money HELPS cover gas, time off work, food, clothing, activities provided, and other essentials required tip properly Take care of children. That's AFTER you've spend time out of work for the home care interviews, the certification classes, and the background checks. Are there some people who are finding ways to cut corners? Of course there are. But for the most part these are people trying typ give children a safe place to sleep and live while the wait for their own personal storm to pass and either be reunited with their families or until they find their new home.
Ryan

Portsmouth, OH

#34 Oct 28, 2016
A thousand a month is good pay for foster children considering the fact we pay about thirty thousand a year per inmate in prison. Good pay helps people out and it gives the children a chance to have a great life considering half of the children out there have parents in prison and will eventually follow there footsteps. Anyone that agree with the first two comments need put to sleep because there probably voting for Hillary anyways.
Kande

Sandusky, OH

#35 Saturday Feb 11
SportsFan wrote:
I work for a foster care agency and I can tell you that some foster parents don't get paid enough! Let's see you people on here take a kid who's a sex offender status and has to go to therapy DAILY, plus he is placed outside his own county; so when foster mom has to drive him to his weekly visit, that's almost an hour each way. With his mental health conditions, plus his treatments, plus his visits -- not to mention his food/clothing/allowance (required), this family is NOT making money. None of this even mentions the turmoil he puts the family into when he's in one of his "moods" that he gets into.

As others have said: Walk a MILE in their shoes or do it yourself and tell us all how easy it is.

Read "A Place at the Table" and then tell me how easy it sounds.
I will read, A Place at the Table...Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dems Progress To A New Low 10 min d pants 205
President Trump Rally 2017 Florida 16 min Trouser Cough 34
If Trump conspired with Russia all his Supporte... 28 min Duke for Mayor 4
Why don't the liberals have a dam protest? 29 min Duke for Mayor 1
News Dublin lawyer charged in federal pill-mill case (Jan '13) 50 min SoulGardener 11
The " Blind Sheikh " has died. 54 min They cannot kill ... 8
What is happening in Sweden? 1 hr They cannot kill ... 6

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages