Foster parents may get flat rate | Th...

Foster parents may get flat rate | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 25 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Dec 11, 2009, titled Foster parents may get flat rate | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Franklin County Children Services is considering a plan to pay all of its foster parents the same daily rate, a change from a longstanding policy of paying different rates based on a foster child's age and day-care needs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
connie M

Columbus, OH

#1 Dec 11, 2009
I'm sorry - paying people $1,000 a month for taking care of a child is crazy. It's just an incentive for people who need money. That's more than the majority of divorced parents get for child support. It should be a reimbursement of the actual costs of necessities, not a source of income.
Nana

Columbus, OH

#2 Dec 11, 2009
I agree Connie - this is outragious for one child, let alone a couple. Someone who is fostering more than one child is making out. No one needs $1000 to pay for a child that is of school age. Daycare child maybe.
BDD

Westerville, OH

#3 Dec 11, 2009
Wow, what harsh opinions without any first hand knowledge. Foster parents dedicate days to get their permits, take children in the middle of the night on a phone call, take them to the doctor, take them to the psychologist, take them to the parental meetings, take them to meet with children services, open their homes to inspections, deal with issues that people outside of the system politely ignore. No one takes on the issues of fostering for the money. The emotional toll is much much too high. If it is easy money then place your money where your mouth is and donate your time, go to the sheriffs office and get fingerprinted and have the FBI and BCII check your background, and wait for the 2am phone call that there are three kids coming in 20 minutes, do you have clothes and supplies ready for them? I am just saying walk the line then you can state your opinion from a position of knowledge.
Michelle

Marengo, OH

#4 Dec 11, 2009
A person receiving child support, assuming both parents work, should be 50% responsible for supporting their own child themselves. However, I agree, being a foster parent shouldn't be a source of income. There should be an accounting of actual expenses incurred.
Anon

Columbus, OH

#5 Dec 11, 2009
I disagree with the statement that foster parenting should not be a source of income. These foster parents provide 24 hour childcare for children in the custody of the county. Paying $30.00 a day ($1.25/hour) for round the clock babysitting is a pretty good deal for the county. I'm sure some custodial parents would love to find a rate like that.
MCC

Columbus, OH

#6 Dec 11, 2009
connie M wrote:
I'm sorry - paying people $1,000 a month for taking care of a child is crazy. It's just an incentive for people who need money. That's more than the majority of divorced parents get for child support. It should be a reimbursement of the actual costs of necessities, not a source of income.
My daycare costs $200 a week (my child goes to a Y so this is not a "fancy" daycare)$1,000 wouldn't be enough to cover necessities of a child for a working foster parent let alone let them turn a profit... If they reimbursed for "necessities" like you suggest, it would be even more.
rebel

Columbus, OH

#7 Dec 11, 2009
These are taxpayer dollars, so they need to reign in spending any way they can. ANY complainers go stuff it!
parent

Columbus, OH

#8 Dec 11, 2009
BDD wrote:
Wow, what harsh opinions without any first hand knowledge. Foster parents dedicate days to get their permits, take children in the middle of the night on a phone call, take them to the doctor, take them to the psychologist, take them to the parental meetings, take them to meet with children services, open their homes to inspections, deal with issues that people outside of the system politely ignore. No one takes on the issues of fostering for the money. The emotional toll is much much too high. If it is easy money then place your money where your mouth is and donate your time, go to the sheriffs office and get fingerprinted and have the FBI and BCII check your background, and wait for the 2am phone call that there are three kids coming in 20 minutes, do you have clothes and supplies ready for them? I am just saying walk the line then you can state your opinion from a position of knowledge.
I agree that its a lot of work and that most people do a lot for the children, but lets be honest there are some people who do it for the money and dont right by the children. Ive seen it done as a social worker.
wondering

Columbia, SC

#9 Dec 11, 2009
Nana wrote:
I agree Connie - this is outragious for one child, let alone a couple. Someone who is fostering more than one child is making out. No one needs $1000 to pay for a child that is of school age. Daycare child maybe.
Until the both of you walk a mile in a foster parent's shoes, you need to keep your comments to yourself. I was a foster parent for many years and I felt like I definitely earned what I received every month. My husband and I also worked outside the home, but we still had to transport those children to their doctor's appointments, counseling sessions and visits with their natural parents. Not only that, you also have to feed, clothe, provide personal care items, and any thing that you would do for your own child. The monies you get is to also take care of that child. So please, get your facts straight before you make off hand comments.

I know a lot of you people are more intelligent than you let on and just like to make unreasonable comments to get the people riled. But please, do it on another topic. Most foster parents are honest hard working people who just want to make it a little easier for a child who is going through.

Peace be with you.

rtrw

Columbus, OH

#10 Dec 11, 2009
i'd say if someone cannot afford to care for a child, they should not be foster parents. maybe they can submit day care expenses to fccs.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#11 Dec 11, 2009
rtrw wrote:
i'd say if someone cannot afford to care for a child, they should not be foster parents. maybe they can submit day care expenses to fccs.
And then, who would care for the children who are left-over after we run out of folks with lots of money and good hearts?
Bekki W

Conyers, GA

#12 Dec 15, 2009
I agree with you Connie. While I also think that some sort of system should be set up to insure that these foster children's needs are properly taken care of when they are in these homes. While I was a foster child from the time I was seven to the age of thirteen, my many foster parents barely clothed and fed me properly.

I must say I am not complaining in any way about the foster care system. It saved my life, so to speak. In many ways gave me the advantage to want to grow and be a loving, mindful, and responsible parent.

Caseworkers never checked behind my foster parents to make sure I received the proper clothing or food. Now, while I understand money has to be used to pay utilities and living expenses. Also this money should be used for the basic needs of the child. My foster parents (ALL OF THEM) spent the systems money (money for my care) on the personal wants and needs of their own families and friends. It wasn't until I was out of the foster care system that I even found that money was being given to my foster parents. Upon me leaving the very last foster home, my foster mother expressed to me how my leaving was messing up her life. Oh. not because I was leaving and she would miss me. Because her money (for me) would stop.....GO FIGURE!!! NEEDS A BETTER SYSTEM SET UP.
SportsFan

West Chester, OH

#13 Dec 16, 2009
I work for a foster care agency and I can tell you that some foster parents don't get paid enough! Let's see you people on here take a kid who's a sex offender status and has to go to therapy DAILY, plus he is placed outside his own county; so when foster mom has to drive him to his weekly visit, that's almost an hour each way. With his mental health conditions, plus his treatments, plus his visits -- not to mention his food/clothing/allowance (required), this family is NOT making money. None of this even mentions the turmoil he puts the family into when he's in one of his "moods" that he gets into.

As others have said: Walk a MILE in their shoes or do it yourself and tell us all how easy it is.

Read "A Place at the Table" and then tell me how easy it sounds.
pengirl

AOL

#14 Jun 14, 2011
I was a foster parent for Montgomery country for many years. They honestly do work hard for the money. Sure we loved the children, but it's not like a daycare center. They are our own children. At least they were to me. And I adopted two that nobody else wanted due to their medical needs; prematurity and drug dependency. But there is a huge mess with the payment. They should set a one rate for across the board. For years, I know of many who were treated unfair. Some families received more even if the child didn't require a lot of extra effort like doctor appointments etc. Then there were kids who had tons of medical needs; doctor appointments, speech therapy, physical therapy, etc. and these parents, or I should say the mother could not work as the child required a lot of care that couldn't be met in a normal daycare setting etc. So the pay was slightly higher, but again even that depended on what the nursing personel determined the rate should be. If you were in basically cahoots with them, you got a higher board pay, some of the parents with special needs children though didn't get what they deserved for twenty four hour nursing care/parenting, and that was not fair. I say let the state determine one rate across the board for the kids without special needs, and set a rate for the ones with special needs, quit paying the parents thirty five dollars an hour for classes, instead let them go online and do it free with only two instructors per the webpage for all 88 counties etc. You talk about saving money??? I added it up. It is well into the millions. Sure some may quit, but then again you'll find out who was in it for the money. And I say, only have two or even one nurse per agency. I know they don't do that much. I seen it first hand. CUT CUT CUT them out and stop having tax payers pay for unnecessary jobs. I know of two nurses that sit a lot in the office and push a pencil and gosspip.
pengirl

AOL

#15 Jun 14, 2011
SportsFan wrote:
I work for a foster care agency and I can tell you that some foster parents don't get paid enough! Let's see you people on here take a kid who's a sex offender status and has to go to therapy DAILY, plus he is placed outside his own county; so when foster mom has to drive him to his weekly visit, that's almost an hour each way. With his mental health conditions, plus his treatments, plus his visits -- not to mention his food/clothing/allowance (required), this family is NOT making money. None of this even mentions the turmoil he puts the family into when he's in one of his "moods" that he gets into.
As others have said: Walk a MILE in their shoes or do it yourself and tell us all how easy it is.
Read "A Place at the Table" and then tell me how easy it sounds.
that's not true. They get paid plenty. It depends on who is determining the rate and who is in cahoots with who. In montgomery county they lie to you when the child comes into care. MOst don't know until they have the child two days later what the rate would be, but for the most part ... they are over paid. I know all about it. Been there and done it.
Racheal

Cleveland, OH

#16 Feb 10, 2014
"connie" and "nana" I can't believe you think that a monthly stipend of $1000 is too much to pay a foster parent! Are either of you parents or foster parents? If you are a parent I challenge you to total how much you spend on YOUR child in one month including electricity, water, heat, AC, food, clothes, shoes, hair cuts, dr. visits, and any outings or toys that are in addition to basic needs. In addition to those costs you are totally forgetting about the people that take on this challenge. Many of these kids have been in the system for a long time and they come with behavioral issues and traumatic childhoods. The foster parent provides and loving and stable environment how much is that worth? More than $250 a week I think!!!
grammy

Reynoldsburg, OH

#17 Feb 11, 2014
I have raised two children and helped raise my grandchildren. I was a teacher for many years. My own children and grandchildren don't have that much money spent on them for necessities. I have to say, from observation, that many of these foster parents are making a lot of money. I know someone who has many foster children. They get $1,000 a month per child. Neither parent has held down a job for any length of time. They don't need to. With 9 foster children they get $9,000 a month. That's more than I ever made as a teacher with a master's degree plus. As a parent I was up at night, up at the crack of dawn, took my children to many doctor's appointments as they both had medical problems, took them to their activities etc. I wasn't paid for it. I did it out of love.
I recently saw an article in the paper that foster children are petitioning to have the government continue support payments until they are 21. They want the support while they further their education. Really? That is offensive. Let them do what most children do who want to go to college, work part time and go to school. I did it. They can do it too. They are not entitled. If people want to be foster parents, wonderful. Let them be like a regular parent and do it out of love.$500 a month once a child reaches school age is plenty to support a child. The parents should do what other parents do. Go to work to support the children. The rest of us do it. Otherwise you don't really want to be a parent. You just want to stay home and live off the rest of us.
grammy

Reynoldsburg, OH

#18 Feb 11, 2014
Sportsfan. A lot of parents are doing all the medical visits etc. They don't get paid. And yes they travel for hours to get help medical help for their children. As for the difficult children, do you really think regular parents have children who don't have medical issues and emotional problems? They have to do it without financial help. And if they don't have financial help they can't do it. Your sense of entitlement reflects the attitude of so many people out there.(Yes, I know that you only work for foster care.) Regular parents have to deal with the medical issues. Regular parents have to deal with children who are SBH. When their child has a bad day they have to deal with it without the government's assistance. Remember the government actually owns nothing and has no money. It all comes from people paying taxes like me. No one is entitled to anything.

ps SBH stands for severe behavior issues.
grammy

Reynoldsburg, OH

#19 Feb 11, 2014
What foster parents are failing to see is that regular parents do the same things and THEY DON'T GET PAID! Your comments about how you don't get enough money for what you do show that you are foster parents for the money, not the children!
grammy

Reynoldsburg, OH

#20 Feb 11, 2014
One more thing, all these unfit parents who are dumping their kids should be sterilized after the first one. Many of these children come from homes where there are many children. Give the parents help with one free rehab or emotional help. Then if they fail no more children. Period.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Extra. Extra. Read all about it! 14 min Spot for Guvnah 2
Obama rated 5th best POTUS in history! 22 min Pope Che Reagan C... 93
Robert Krutko's new nickname, TURDKO CRAPKO OR ... 1 hr Krutkoneighbor 39
Carolyn Bruck, channel 6 (Jan '12) 2 hr Russ N 374
News Serial batterers: Repeat domestic-violence offe... (Nov '09) 2 hr Big Johnson 86
Arby's ground zero in war on cops 2 hr Duke for Mayor 11
Poll ISSUE 3 - Marijuana Reform In Ohio - How will y... 3 hr Maybe Voting YES ... 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages