Sequester cuts to hit Columbus public health, housing, work-force programs, Coleman says

Feb 28, 2013 Full story: Business Journal 76

Bloomberg Political Analyst Matthew Dowd discusses the consequences of sequester.

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
dpx55

New York, NY

#1 Feb 28, 2013
This is nothing more than mikey "the trolleyman" coleman spouting the company line per his puppetmaster, barry soetoro.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#4 Feb 28, 2013
People don't believe that the money from the feds is real money. Or that the local economy receives any benefit from things like the purchase of WIC products.

So--folks are gonna have to learn the hard way.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#5 Feb 28, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
People don't believe that the money from the feds is real money. Or that the local economy receives any benefit from things like the purchase of WIC products.
So--folks are gonna have to learn the hard way.
It's time to see the failure of the Keynesian illusion

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#6 Feb 28, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
It's time to see the failure of the Keynesian illusion
Check back in a week, OK?

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#7 Feb 28, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
People don't believe that the money from the feds is real money. Or that the local economy receives any benefit from things like the purchase of WIC products.
So--folks are gonna have to learn the hard way.
Thankfully, it's the takers who will suffer the most, that is if anyone really believes in this phony-baloney "crisis."

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#8 Feb 28, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Check back in a week, OK?
The idea that these cuts will mean WROL, is bizzare

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#9 Feb 28, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Thankfully, it's the takers who will suffer the most, that is if anyone really believes in this phony-baloney "crisis."
Yeah, and you're about to get some insight into exactly who all the takers are.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#11 Feb 28, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and you're about to get some insight into exactly who all the takers are.
Defense contractors provide a product, Reader. WIC mothers and the like do not.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#12 Feb 28, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
The idea that these cuts will mean WROL, is bizzare
Spot on. The federal government shut down for a total of 28 days in 1995-1996 and exactly who suffered? Nobody.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#13 Feb 28, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Defense contractors provide a product, Reader. WIC mothers and the like do not.
Sure they provide a product, votes, straight D.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#14 Feb 28, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
The idea that these cuts will mean WROL, is bizzare
WROL?

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#15 Feb 28, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Defense contractors provide a product, Reader. WIC mothers and the like do not.
Well, seems like just yesterday someone was claiming that those folks at DSCC don't really do anything.

And we know your opinion of anyone else who works for the government in any capacity.

I suspect that your just putting contractors on the good guys list to suck up to GoKeefe--she'll go off on you if you try to call her a taker.

And what about VADoc--you know the guy who thinks he's the only government employee who does any work.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#16 Feb 28, 2013
that should be "you're"

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#17 Feb 28, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, seems like just yesterday someone was claiming that those folks at DSCC don't really do anything.
And we know your opinion of anyone else who works for the government in any capacity.
I suspect that your just putting contractors on the good guys list to suck up to GoKeefe--she'll go off on you if you try to call her a taker.
And what about VADoc--you know the guy who thinks he's the only government employee who does any work.
DSCC drones are federal employees. Big difference.
I was referring to companies like Boeing, Lockheed and General Dynamics. Your bizarre and petty reference to GoKeefe merits a single word reply...Meow.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#18 Feb 28, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
WROL?
Without rule of law

Chaos, riots, etc.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#19 Feb 28, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
The idea that these cuts will mean WROL, is bizzare
Unless it's "manufactured".

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#21 Mar 3, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, seems like just yesterday someone was claiming that those folks at DSCC don't really do anything.
And we know your opinion of anyone else who works for the government in any capacity.
I suspect that your just putting contractors on the good guys list to suck up to GoKeefe--she'll go off on you if you try to call her a taker.
And what about VADoc--you know the guy who thinks he's the only government employee who does any work.
No, because even YOU don't understand how those contracts are structured. George seems to.

Hate to tell you this, it's just those on direct federal payroll who are being furloughed. We're also in an IT environment. Figure it out, Reader. We've also been working long days. Salary, no OT. You are so poor at pitting folks against one another, rather apparent.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#22 Mar 3, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Spot on. The federal government shut down for a total of 28 days in 1995-1996 and exactly who suffered? Nobody.
Well, George, that is true that the federal employees didn't suffer--they got backpay.

But I worked in Dayton at the time, and the payroll taxes that dropped did affect the local communities though--WPAFB has a very heavy civilian workforce. That did make a big dent into the budgets for necessary stuff like fire/police protection in communities like Beavercreek, Fairborn, etc. 28 days with a reduced income for these communities does hurt them.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#24 Mar 3, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, George, that is true that the federal employees didn't suffer--they got backpay.
But I worked in Dayton at the time, and the payroll taxes that dropped did affect the local communities though--WPAFB has a very heavy civilian workforce. That did make a big dent into the budgets for necessary stuff like fire/police protection in communities like Beavercreek, Fairborn, etc. 28 days with a reduced income for these communities does hurt them.
I guess I was looking at it from a big picture perspective in the sense of long term damage that wasn't felt by the general public as a whole. I agree that it would have been no day at the beach for federal employees and government towns.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#25 Mar 3, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>I guess I was looking at it from a big picture perspective in the sense of long term damage that wasn't felt by the general public as a whole. I agree that it would have been no day at the beach for federal employees and government towns.
You're right in that there is really no overall general damage. When it happened back in the 90s, the payroll taxes seemed to have caught up with the backpay for those on the federal payroll.

No real long-term damage other than it's possible to see regional unemployment spikes, particularly in areas like Dayton. The intent, as I see it, is to actually SHRINK the federal workforce.(And I don't disagree with that...there is much redundancy and stovepiping as I see it, but that is just my opinion.) I am willing to bet too that workforce shrinkage to happen through attrition and early retirement. Federal workers -- those on direct federal payroll -- have actually much more job security than anyone in the private sector. A contractor can be cut, funding can be removed, etc.

Federal workers are actually quite lucky if they would only sit down and think about it. Had they been in the private sector in 08, they may have been on unemployment. A 20% pay cut for six months hurts, but it's better than a kick in the ass back out into the streets. And they have way better benefits than most. If a contract gets cut, contractors have one of two things happen:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
homosexuality is a "lifestyle choice" 11 min d pantz 256
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 19 min Pale Rider 5,569
Why not White History Month? 2 hr Big Johnson 3
American Sniper - the superhero movie 5 thumbs up! 2 hr Caucaziod 89
taday in black hitsory 2 hr Latrina Waters 10
Franklin County impounds fewer stray dogs, redu... 3 hr Catman Dave 7
Are you planning to see the movie American Sniper 3 hr Duke for Mayor 80
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) Sat Old Timer 1,041
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:43 am PST

NFL 8:43AM
Jimmy Haslam: Browns have to get a QB in 2015
Bleacher Report 9:17 AM
Jimmy Haslam Speaks on Browns' 2015 QB Situation
Bleacher Report12:23 PM
Manziel's Teammates Discuss QB's Rookie Season
Yahoo! Sports12:24 PM
Report: Cleveland Browns 'wrecked' by Johnny Manziel's rookie season
NBC Sports12:46 PM
Teammate: Manziel was a "100 percent joke" as a rookie