Commentary: Stonewall Columbus Pride Parade reminiscent of a Fourth of July parade

Jun 23, 2013 Full story: The Lantern 605

A Pride Parade walker looks to throw bracelets at crowds that lined the street. Pride Parade, part of Stonewall Columbus Pride Festival 2013, took place June 22 on High Street.

Full Story

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Hightstown, NJ

#65 Jun 26, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
So...even if you put your mind to it, you couldn't do it.
Say what you mean, and mean what you say.
I could still perform the physical activity, which was my point and I think you know that. I can play basketball, football, pour concrete, tile a roof, fix a transmission and many other things that are considered male-only activities. Being a female or male does not preclude an activity.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Hightstown, NJ

#66 Jun 26, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct, but because bi-people can choose, does not make it a sexual "preference" for hetero or gay people.
We duck the word "preference" for very real political reasons.
Personally, I think it's semantics, but I follow your point. To prefer something is to choose one thing over another, but some people think the word preference infers "choice." I get that you're saying sexual orientation is not a choice and I agree with you. I just don't politicize the word "preference."

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#67 Jun 26, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally, I think it's semantics, but I follow your point. To prefer something is to choose one thing over another, but some people think the word preference infers "choice." I get that you're saying sexual orientation is not a choice and I agree with you. I just don't politicize the word "preference."
Others do, to our very great harm, so we don't allow it's usage in our discussions.

In politics, the moment you have to start explaining or defending you've lost initiative, and need to divert energy away from your own progress in order to deal with defeating the assault.

To certain sectarian religionists, we are evil because we "choose sin". In fact, that is the basis of millions of dollars of donations to measures against us. We then must spend millions to counter them. See how it works.

In politics, it's not "just semantics" ... not when the struggle is for control of the narrative, and that means LANGUAGE.

There's an old adage in business and politics: "The one who sets the agenda, controls the discussion and wins the arguments."

It has a corollary: "The one who defines, is the one who controls the perception of what is defined."

Our opposition has arrogated to themselves the power of definition by shear numbers and volume. We can't afford to give away anything.

To wit:

&fe ature=related

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#68 Jun 26, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
I could still perform the physical activity, which was my point and I think you know that. I can play basketball, football, pour concrete, tile a roof, fix a transmission and many other things that are considered male-only activities. Being a female or male does not preclude an activity.
But it would be awfully difficult for you to write your name in the snow.

Location hidden

#69 Jun 26, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what hulahoops trained for.

Planet Earth

#70 Jun 26, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what hulahoops trained for.
Sure, if your name's Ooooooooo

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Hightstown, NJ

#71 Jun 27, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Others do, to our very great harm, so we don't allow it's usage in our discussions.
In politics, the moment you have to start explaining or defending you've lost initiative, and need to divert energy away from your own progress in order to deal with defeating the assault.
To certain sectarian religionists, we are evil because we "choose sin". In fact, that is the basis of millions of dollars of donations to measures against us. We then must spend millions to counter them. See how it works.
In politics, it's not "just semantics" ... not when the struggle is for control of the narrative, and that means LANGUAGE.
There's an old adage in business and politics: "The one who sets the agenda, controls the discussion and wins the arguments."
It has a corollary: "The one who defines, is the one who controls the perception of what is defined."
Our opposition has arrogated to themselves the power of definition by shear numbers and volume. We can't afford to give away anything.
To wit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =j9IJyFaI3_MXX&feature=rel ated
I'm well aware of all of this. Political and personal discussions are not the same, however. I'm a gay rights advocate, but I reserve the careful choice of language for more meaningful conversations (not to say these aren't important conversations, but I think you know what I mean).

For me, anytime a person gives religion as a reason why they are for or against something, they've lost the argument. Religion exists in that person's own head and has no place in public.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Hightstown, NJ

#72 Jun 27, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not as difficult as you might think! Helps if you have a short name...

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Hightstown, NJ

#73 Jun 27, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, if your name's Ooooooooo
Women who do their kegels have excellent control over the stopping/starting process.

Planet Earth

#74 Jun 27, 2013
My flow stops whenever I fart.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Hightstown, NJ

#75 Jun 27, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
My flow stops whenever I fart.
Probably the proudest moments of your day.

Location hidden

#76 Jun 27, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm well aware of all of this. Political and personal discussions are not the same, however. I'm a gay rights advocate, but I reserve the careful choice of language for more meaningful conversations (not to say these aren't important conversations, but I think you know what I mean).
For me, anytime a person gives religion as a reason why they are for or against something, they've lost the argument. Religion exists in that person's own head and has no place in public.
It's great for starting stampedes, though.

Never try to stop a stampede by mocking or discounting it. Better to climb a tree ... if one is handy AND you've got the arms for it.

Planet Earth

#77 Jun 27, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably the proudest moments of your day.
More like thankful :)

Location hidden

#78 Jun 27, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
More like thankful :)
Eat more live culture yoghurt and get on topic.

Planet Earth

#79 Jun 27, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Eat more live culture yoghurt and get on topic.
I don't eat anything that sounds like it's already been eaten.

Location hidden

#80 Jun 27, 2013
[QUOTE/ who="TonyD2"] I don't eat anything that sounds like it's already been eaten.[/QUOTE]

You don't like honey (bee vomit) or beer or wine (yeast piss)?

Location hidden

#81 Jun 27, 2013
Drat it! I can't remember the programming grammar for "reply". I thought I did. Maybe it's just a command function that doesn't work at all anymore.

Planet Earth

#82 Jun 27, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't like honey (bee vomit) or beer or wine (yeast piss)?
I don't drink alcoholic beverages. And it's not what it is, it's what it SOUNDS like.

Location hidden

#83 Jun 27, 2013
Ok. So slices of a slab of dead pig muscle gives you probelms, but if it's called "bacon" it's just fine.

I think I care about what something IS.

I like bovine mammary secretions and bee vomit mixed into my caffeine-bearing plant tanins, served in a warm vessel of vitrified dirt.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#84 Jun 27, 2013
snyper wrote:
Ok. So slices of a slab of dead pig muscle gives you probelms, but if it's called "bacon" it's just fine.
I think I care about what something IS.
I like bovine mammary secretions and bee vomit mixed into my caffeine-bearing plant tanins, served in a warm vessel of vitrified dirt.
Clever.

If you interpreted your same-sex sexual behaviors as graphically, you might understand why sane folks are thoroughly disgusted by them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gas Prices Dip Below $2 A Gallon Across Central... 23 min Neutral Party 8
2 magical days until Christmas 24 min Dr Phillips PhD 71
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 36 min Neutral Party 4,927
Armengau, 5 other lawyers face misconduct charges 1 hr Big Johnson 1
Who do you side with in New York and why? 1 hr They cannot kill ... 19
Central Ohio filmgoers lining up to see - The I... 1 hr Big Johnson 1
COPS lives MATTER 3 hr Neutral Party 183
Merry Christmas everybody 13 hr Duke for Mayor 35
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus