Scioto Mile: City banks on river in w...

Scioto Mile: City banks on river in waterfront makeover | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 188 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 7, 2011, titled Scioto Mile: City banks on river in waterfront makeover | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The Scioto Mile, which opens today, is the city's latest effort to attract visitors to the Downtown riverfront.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#1 Jul 7, 2011
[quote]That means $8 million to $10 million a year to sustain the level of free programming visitors expect, he said.[/quote]

The gift that keeps on taking.
Publius

Zanesville, OH

#2 Jul 7, 2011
Sounds like a perfect place for a 25 foot wide park, along the bank of a river that is essentially an open sewer ! This should be quite an attraction -- especially when the wind changes direction !!
the truth

Streetsboro, OH

#3 Jul 7, 2011
coleman the clown spend more and tax more so jobs go to Texas
the truth

Streetsboro, OH

#4 Jul 7, 2011
Clown dont challeange my manhood Mike needs to make a nice view for his puppet master to look down from their towers at Nationwide at all of their slaves in cow town
Chris

Grove City, OH

#5 Jul 7, 2011
Publius wrote:
Sounds like a perfect place for a 25 foot wide park, along the bank of a river that is essentially an open sewer ! This should be quite an attraction -- especially when the wind changes direction !!
Multi-million dollar homes with docks are built along that very river in the Dublin area. Perspective is a funny thing, isn't it?
Mike

Columbus, OH

#6 Jul 7, 2011
Biked through half of the "mile" yesterday. It is beautiful, and connects the Arena District with downtown. Now it needs food vendors. Maybe a Beer Garden.
Wowza

Columbus, OH

#7 Jul 7, 2011
Oh the water is so beautiful... oh wait.. is that a turd?!
happy cbus

Hilliard, OH

#8 Jul 7, 2011
this will be a truly great park for the city. i wish we could say the same for the columbus commons...that is purely a waste of space.
SuLee

Grove City, OH

#9 Jul 7, 2011
the truth wrote:
Clown dont challeange my manhood Mike needs to make a nice view for his puppet master to look down from their towers at Nationwide at all of their slaves in cow town
Is there ANYTHING you DO like? It seems no matter what the subject is, you attempt, in some uninformed, illiterate way, to tear it apart.
Dave

Lancaster, OH

#10 Jul 7, 2011
This is awesome! I can now be mugged in beautiful surroundings and the homeless have a lovely park to hang out in. Good job Mayor Coleman!

JPA

Since: Jan 10

Columbus, OH

#11 Jul 7, 2011
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Multi-million dollar homes with docks are built along that very river in the Dublin area. Perspective is a funny thing, isn't it?
Location..Location..Location PLUS not as many Gars and bottom feeders messing around the river further north.

JPA

Columbus, OH

#12 Jul 7, 2011
Dave wrote:
This is awesome! I can now be mugged in beautiful surroundings and the homeless have a lovely park to hang out in. Good job Mayor Coleman!
Not to worry...It is just part of Urban Renewal. All the bums that had congregated under the freeway on Short St. and in the abandoned area on the Whittier peninsula had to be re-located.
Bob

Buford, GA

#13 Jul 7, 2011
Chris wrote:
<quoted text>
Does Dublin have the same amount of sewage running into it ?

JPA

Columbus, OH

#14 Jul 7, 2011
Mike wrote:
Biked through half of the "mile" yesterday. It is beautiful, and connects the Arena District with downtown. Now it needs food vendors. Maybe a Beer Garden.
A few taco carts would be nice...Maybe start having the bonfires in the river on a hot sultry night.
Tax and waste

Westerville, OH

#15 Jul 7, 2011
This will be the Michael Coleman legacy to Columbus that show how much this moron spends of tax dollars that contribute little to the needs of a city.
While Coleman and Council threatened to cut city services in order to fraudulently intimidate voters to pay a tax increase, Coleman and Council dropped over 200 million dollars in 2 lame parks and a bridge to nowhere downtown.
I would much rather have 200 more police on the streets to address the out of control crime.
Columbus needs a new mayor and city council that know how to provide the basic city services first.

Since: Dec 09

Mcconnelsville, OH

#16 Jul 7, 2011
Dublin doesn't have the sewer issue. In fact once you get above Griggs dam the reservoir serves drinking water to a good chunk of Columbus. Olentangy gets the sewer overflow as you go north.
Forgot One Thing

Columbus, OH

#18 Jul 7, 2011
"Early last century, plans called for large civic buildings: City Hall, the federal courthouse and the building that now houses the Ohio Supreme Court among them."

Herin lies the problem. All these government buildings are staffed by suburbanites who flee downtown by 5:00pm. Nobody, repeat, nobody, will be hanging around downtown - especially in the evenings to even look at this place.

The other cities mentioned have housing, retail and popular restuarants built along their downtown rivers...not State Supreme Court buildings.
reality check

Columbus, OH

#19 Jul 7, 2011
The comments are silly, as usual.

Anyone who knows anything about urban planning (hands? no one?) knows that parks, green space, OPEN AREAS, water, etc. are key to livability. It's easy to bash sewer overflows (which hardly ever happen) and say this part of the fountain is stupid or that bench is facing the wrong way, etc. Everyone has an opinion. But DOING SOMETHING is key.

Not everyone who visits "the bean" in Chicago loves it. BUT THEY VISIT. IN DROVES. This park is set up to be similar -- and tied to the Commons, with multiple performance venues, clean spaces, interesting design, moving water, food, drink, etc., it's a HUGE step in the right direction.

KUDOS to the planners and fund raisers who got this done. I can't wait to check it out.
Lindsay

Columbus, OH

#21 Jul 7, 2011
This sounds pretty great (though possibly very wasteful of water, depending how they are handling it)... but although it is a 15 minute drive from my place, it's an hour bus ride, and we don't have a car. Public transportation needs mass improvements if they want to be as successful as possible with these redevelopment projects! I'd love to spend time downtown, but it's absurd to even try to take a toddler on the bus for a full hour..
Middle Wing

Columbus, OH

#22 Jul 7, 2011
and just 2 blocks over we have the beautiful downtown with at least 25 COTA bust stops and numerous homeless people panhandling high street.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cruz 6 min Reality Speaks 49
California rejects John Wayne Day due to commen... 48 min Duke for Mayor 176
935000 signatures to boycott Target 1 hr Mr Cumberbatch 116
is caitlin jenner still a man? 1 hr Mr Cumberbatch 73
Trump? 1 hr Mr Cumberbatch 45
News Tanger Outlets looking to fill 900+ positions f... 2 hr The Game Show Host 2
karen brown channel 6 (Sep '15) 2 hr CONTRARIAN 8
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages