Black English and a Bad Saint Bernard...

Black English and a Bad Saint Bernard (And 300 # of Ghetto Attitude)

Posted in the Columbus Forum

-Clayton Bigsby

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#1 Jul 2, 2013
It’s true: some people on Twitter criticized last week’s courtroom testimony of Rachel Jeantel, a friend of Trayvon Martin’s who was speaking with Mr. Martin shortly before he died in a fight with George Zimmerman on the evening of February 26, 2012.

Most of the criticism was about the content of her testimony and her aggressive behavior when being cross-examined, saying “Yes, sir” with dripping antipathy about two dozen times. Some others criticized her manner of speaking, namely what Professor McWhorter calls “Black English,” though pushback against those people in the Twitterverse was relentless, and Ms. Jeantel’s supporters seemed to at least match her critics in quantity of social media activity with notes such as “Rachel Jeantel hold your head Babygirl…”(from a gentleman named Ghostface Killah, a rapper and member of the Wu-Tang Clan, who has nearly 450,000 Twitter followers.)

If Ms. Jeantel was telling the truth, she can indeed hold her head high. But that doesn’t make the questions raised by “Black English” go away.

But what is the future for 19-year-old Ms. Jeantel (or others who speak, if you will,“blacker” English than she does) when they attempt to enter the workforce? After all, in most jobs an ability to communicate with customers and colleagues is of the utmost importance. Yet there are few jobs — and extremely few with excellent long-term prospects — in which the large majority of co-workers and customers speak Black English. If you ever want to get out of your neighborhood McDonald’s or Walmart, it helps to speak English.

For a variety of reasons, whether we like it or not, speaking only Spanish in the United States seems less of an impediment to at least a modestly successful life than speaking “Black English.” In the most recent data release from the U.S. Department of Labor, Hispanic unemployment in the U.S. was 9.1 percent whereas among blacks, the rate is 13.5 percent, a number which masks the devastating rate of roughly 40 percent among 16- to 19-year-old blacks. Among blacks, whites, and Hispanics, it is only blacks whose unemployment rate is essentially unchanged from a year ago.

The black population of America, at 13.1 of the country, is about 80 percent the size of the Hispanic population, at 16.7 percent of the population. Yet (and this probably has a lot to do with immigration status but remains an important marker), 40 percent of welfare recipients are black, versus 16 percent who are Hispanic.

Something is not working for American blacks. Whether Black English is a cause or an effect — or most likely both — is an important question for the future of an eighth of the nation’s population — a group that is also burdened by functionally racist government policies such as the rise of the welfare state, the failed “war on drugs,” and Democratic hatred of school choice.

Could some of the failure of blacks to succeed in the workforce be due to racism within American society? Sure it could. But when so many young blacks refuse to speak English because they don’t want to “seem white,” it is difficult for whites to respond by saying “OK, you’re hired.” Whatever the reasons may be for Hispanics in the United States not learning English, being afraid of seeming white is probably not on the list.

It is not just that someone who speaks Black English (exclusively) is likely to be less qualified for almost any job than someone who speaks American English, but, at least for this white guy, I have to wonder whether the person speaks the way he speaks because he is a victim of government schools or because he buys into a new black version of “separate but equal”— which is of course far more separate than equal — but this time by blacks’ own doing.
http://spectator.org/archives/2013/07/02/blac...
Oliver Canterberry

Columbus, OH

#2 Jul 2, 2013
History has shown that those who refuse to learn the language of a nation will remain at the bottom socially and economically.

Hispanics are already ahead of Blacks and will soon make a three way sandwich, Whites and Asians on top, Hispanics in the middle and Blacks on the bottom, "servants of servants" just like Father Noah said many years ago.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#3 Jul 2, 2013
There are no excuses.
The Larry Elder Pledge is again applicable.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#4 Jul 2, 2013
Blacks don't want to be assumed "soft". Why in the world would speaking proper english be considered uncool? It's also a sign of ghetto acceptance to boost an ego where culture is acted to stand out.
And lets not forget the slang thrown around in rap music. I truly believe that a lot of young black people are followers to the wrong leaders or mentors of their choice. And that choice of "who" they want to accept them... is who they want to impress,(In a nut shell-Bad role models).
They cannot kill a spook

Taylor, MI

#5 Jul 2, 2013
Very few Spanish speakers are in the US most speak the beaner vernacular of Spanish, thus conveying immediately that they are sub human trash , the blend of slow ugly indians with the low lifes of Spain. When you mix sh1t with manure it doesn't magically become a chocolate candy.

Now take "black english" formally known as Ja baba. It is the combination of mispronounced English with grunts and howls.

Both are disgusting forms of vocal communications which can only be cured by tongue removal.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#6 Jul 2, 2013
They cannot kill a spook wrote:
Very few Spanish speakers are in the US most speak the beaner vernacular of Spanish, thus conveying immediately that they are sub human trash , the blend of slow ugly indians with the low lifes of Spain. When you mix sh1t with manure it doesn't magically become a chocolate candy.
Now take "black english" formally known as Ja baba. It is the combination of mispronounced English with grunts and howls.
Both are disgusting forms of vocal communications which can only be cured by tongue removal.
I've heard some mexican's from Oaxaca speak aztec spanish. It sounds like someone slurring while pinching their nose.
I used to work with a guy from Peru, which he said all the Mexicans spanish sounded like rumble from the jungle.
They cannot kill a spook

Taylor, MI

#7 Jul 2, 2013
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
I've heard some mexican's from Oaxaca speak aztec spanish. It sounds like someone slurring while pinching their nose.
I used to work with a guy from Peru, which he said all the Mexicans spanish sounded like rumble from tdhe jungle.
See even South Americans hate beaners. The beaner and the skinny are two examples of trash walking erect.
Duke for Mayor

United States

#8 Jul 2, 2013
They cannot kill a spook wrote:
<quoted text>
See even South Americans hate beaners. The beaner and the skinny are two examples of trash walking erect.
I enjoy seeing your personal example of the white American male version of trash. Keep up the good work maintaining standing.

woof

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#9 Jul 2, 2013
-tip- wrote:
There are no excuses.
The Larry Elder Pledge is again applicable.
Sorry...I forgot to post a link to the pledge.
I know that Reader is sworn to it.

http://www.unfitnews.com/authors/larryelder/L...
They cannot kill a spook

Taylor, MI

#10 Jul 2, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry...I forgot to post a link to the pledge.
I know that Reader is sworn to it.
http://www.unfitnews.com/authors/larryelder/L...
Thanks. Duchess's aka duke pledged to suck Obama 's a$$ even if he eats hot peppers and raspberries

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Donald J. Trump 2 hr White Fangs 2
Democrats Will get Best Possible Deal. Republic... 4 hr They cannot kill ... 2
T Minus 4 3 2 1 ,,,, | Mueller Gone! 4 hr They cannot kill ... 182
AEP silences #MeToo complaint 5 hr d pants 60
Trump BALD HEAD 5 hr d pants 234
News More snow, below-freezing temperatures expected... 5 hr C Kersey 3
DEPORT ILLEGALS TODAY ! If you have a problem w... 5 hr T TigerWoods 10
John Corby died Jan 20. 2018 6 hr 35angel 36
News WTVN-AM radio host John Corby dies at age 61 6 hr Reality Speaks 14
Republicans: Shut Down Gov't, Cover some Tax Re... 6 hr Reality Speaks 79
News Scandal forces appraisal of gay issues | The Co... (Oct '10) Sat 404 not found 345

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages