Teen charged in fatal South Side shoo...

Teen charged in fatal South Side shooting

There are 24 comments on the The Columbus Dispatch story from Nov 3, 2012, titled Teen charged in fatal South Side shooting. In it, The Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Kylan Cunningham, 19, died at Grant Medical Center at 8 p.m. Thursday, about an hour after he was shot on Smith Road on the South Side.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tora Stevens

Hilliard, OH

#1 Nov 5, 2012
After hearing this new's we was shocked , it has left us scratching our head's. Before I say anything else please know our prayer's & thought's are with the Cunningham family , we are so sorry for you're loss. We know Micheal Cantrell & his family well , Mikey has saved our son's life on a couple of occasions . Mikey is no monster , he really is no different then any other teenage boy. Yes he would fight if needed , but it just don't seem right that they are saying he shoot this kid. I am saying it isn't like Mikey to use any weapon there has to be so much more to this story. & if any one know's the true story , please come forth call crime stopper's or the Columbus police. This is truly sad our prayer's are with both families , this is a tragedy for both families. God bless
What I Think

Blacklick, OH

#2 Nov 5, 2012
The tragedy is Columbus's. With any luck Michael Cantrell will be handed over for prosecution as an adult, found guilty and spend the rest of his life in prison. If that comes to pass I wish 'Mikey' a long life. There's more than one way to remove defectives from the gene pool.
Tora Stevens

Hilliard, OH

#3 Nov 7, 2012
Micheal Cantrell is only 16 yrs old , yes he did make a fatal decision , yes he does deserve punishment. But life , really? You do not know what happened leading up to this horrific crime , "Mikey" could have been defending himself. I pray that Mikey get's a chance , he is a kid. God my heart & prayer's go out to the Cunningham family , I know what they are halving to deal with is the hardest thing ever. Losing a child due to a natural death is hard , so I can only imagine how hard it is to have you're child's life taken. I do feel in my heart that Mikey does deserve a chance , after spending some year's in jail. He could come out a very changed man , & he could speak out about his horrific crime to teen's. I do not feel what Mikey did was right in any way. But I do know there is so much more to this story , he has a side also. I feel if they try him here in Columbus the kid won't get a fair trail. He deserves a fair trial so he can tell his side of the story.. Everyone is going to have a opinion & they have a right to say what they think or feel. But I know the Cantrell family & they are good people , I know something had to happen. I know Mikey would never kill anyone just for fun or just out of cold blood. My prayer's & thought's are with both families. R.I.P Kylan Cunningham , may God help you're family through this terrible trying time.
I have seen

Parkersburg, WV

#4 Nov 10, 2012
I dont know either of the familes, But I do know what its like the loss a child to a person with a gun. mikey as you say. should of never had the gun in the first place. and he wouldnt be facing the time. A chance for what???? to get out and kill another person?These young kids with guns ... and in gangs. need to just stop the killing. and if youve noticed its been people under the ages of 25 thats been killed or charged with murder. They say everything happens for a reason. you tell me the reason for killing somone, Im sorry theres not a reason for it.Its a very sad thing people go through anymore
mad

Pataskala, OH

#5 Nov 11, 2012
mikey is my cousin and i know there had to be a reason. dont judge till you know the whole story. mikey dont deserve life. he has a story to. so maybe you should find out wht happened tht lead to this before you say what should happen. self defense is seld defence and it dont matter who killed who. just saying. if my life was threatned id done the same thing. so with that said just leave him alone till you find out the trueth!!!
mad

Pataskala, OH

#6 Nov 11, 2012
What I Think wrote:
The tragedy is Columbus's. With any luck Michael Cantrell will be handed over for prosecution as an adult, found guilty and spend the rest of his life in prison. If that comes to pass I wish 'Mikey' a long life. There's more than one way to remove defectives from the gene pool.
you dont know mikey. so how do u think it is fair to try him in anyway as a adult? you dont even know wht happened. he could of been protecting himself. and when the trueth comes out along with all the evidence your gonna feel real stupid about jumping to have him do life over something someone else caused. he is a good kid always has been. maybe bullies need to leave people alone and things like this wouldnt happen. so dont judge before u know all the facts
I have seen

Parkersburg, WV

#7 Nov 11, 2012
mad wrote:
<quoted text>you dont know mikey. so how do u think it is fair to try him in anyway as a adult? you dont even know wht happened. he could of been protecting himself. and when the trueth comes out along with all the evidence your gonna feel real stupid about jumping to have him do life over something someone else caused. he is a good kid always has been. maybe bullies need to leave people alone and things like this wouldnt happen. so dont judge before u know all the facts
If he hadnt had the gun he wouldnt be facing the charges that might come his way, He will get what God feels right for him. sorry he is dealing with this but he done the shit so now pay for the life , simple as that
Oliver

Springfield, OH

#8 Nov 12, 2012
Tora Stevens wrote:
After hearing this new's we was shocked , it has left us scratching our head's. Before I say anything else please know our prayer's & thought's are with the Cunningham family , we are so sorry for you're loss. We know Micheal Cantrell & his family well , Mikey has saved our son's life on a couple of occasions . Mikey is no monster , he really is no different then any other teenage boy. Yes he would fight if needed , but it just don't seem right that they are saying he shoot this kid. I am saying it isn't like Mikey to use any weapon there has to be so much more to this story. & if any one know's the true story , please come forth call crime stopper's or the Columbus police. This is truly sad our prayer's are with both families , this is a tragedy for both families. God bless
Tora Stevens Quote: "Mikey is no monster , he really is no different then any other teenage boy."

Oliver says, I almost coked when I read this ludicrous statement. "Most" teenage boys are not killers.

You people need to control your impulses and not produce so many children out of wedlock. In such an environment with no fathers to administer strong discipline, young men like Mikey are a danger that makes them indeed "monsters" who kill for little or no reason, like brute beasts that cannot control their basic instincts and impulses.

Wake up Tora.
TEAM KYLAN

Columbus, OH

#9 Dec 26, 2012
It took me some time to reply 2 any of the comment re: Kylan Cunningham. Well, TORA, and MAD, "mikey" is sumthin u call a kid, a young man, a good, upstandin kinda guy. But one being charged wit murder? No, dat would b Michael Cantrell. A MURDER. Kylan, was someones, son, baby brother, some ones father who will never know him, only for people in da neighborhood tellin him bout da wagon walks his dad took him on every day. Angry, I'm not, bcuz anger is sumthin mean n malicious, I'm so, so sad, my heart hurts. Its a gut wrenching pain dat no one knows. I now watch sumone else walk his son daily and it doesn't seem right.... no its NOT RIGHT. Mayb had Micheal been in sum after school activities like a NORMAL 16yr old, he wouldn't had time 2b out murdering. So stopit wit da "boy nxt door" make up of him. No one put dat gun in Micheals hands, bt MICHEAL, and dats who should b held 100% accountable for it.
jason ritchie

Reynoldsburg, OH

#10 Jan 3, 2013
i was in jail wit mikey and i know y he did what he did its not my place to tell y but let me say this he is a damm good frend an i fell sorry for the other person but what he tryed to do mikey he got what was comein to him an yes as i said i know what happend i was in jail wit hem for like a month an have talked to hem a lot so trust me if u know what had went down u wouldnt be as mad at him hold your head mikey ...
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#11 Jan 3, 2013
read thread headline

Teen.....Teen......sixteen

that would mean illegal to have firearm without guardian or adult present.

next case please.
Dagney Coalman

Columbus, OH

#12 Jan 3, 2013
You gottsta wonder if obama is afraid this is one of those guns he smuggled to the Mexican cartels during his international law breaking conspiracy known as Fast and Furious.
TEAM KYLAN

Columbus, OH

#13 Feb 13, 2013
If he were so innocent, he wouldn't be goin to adult court, being tried as adult. Again, had he been involved in some "productive" after school activities "Mikey" would b at home TODAY studying for OGT testing, insteada costing tax payers more money. Instead,he chose to use his leisure time murdering some ones son, father, love one, brother,cousin bestfriend, nephew and grandson. No one has any idea what Micheal's actions has cost Kylan's family. Kylan was his grandmother's favorite, though ill, Ky gave her every reason 2 smile n continue on, she heard of his death, and died 31 days after Kylan. God bless the judge and jury to punish him accordingly.
Observor

Silver Spring, MD

#14 Feb 14, 2013
Don't make no sense. From what I hear, Mikey was just gettin his life together, too. Was gonna marry one of the baby-mommas someday. He got thrown outta that charter school so was gonna get his GED too. Like I said, don't make no sense
family

United States

#17 Jun 9, 2013
fall ya all who talk crap bout mikey. u dont know wht happened. maybe ol boy wasnt so innocent after all. he died so now he is the perfect person... get real. once a thug and bully always a thug and bully. maybe people should learn to quit actin hard and they wouldnt end up shot.. just sayin people
thinking

Parkersburg, WV

#18 Jun 11, 2013
family wrote:
fall ya all who talk crap bout mikey. u dont know wht happened. maybe ol boy wasnt so innocent after all. he died so now he is the perfect person... get real. once a thug and bully always a thug and bully. maybe people should learn to quit actin hard and they wouldnt end up shot.. just sayin people
maybe we dont know why or what happen but what we all know is he shouldnt of ever had the gun in the first place.I have no sympathy for him. what I do have sympathy for is the families of both sides. now they have to carry on with the pain after what happen. My son was shoot and murder in columbus and its because he had money and someone else wanted it. they are mudering for $1000 dollars so Im sorry i dont feel sorry for mickey if he hadnt of taken the gun he would be free today and the boy would still be alive.
Leon Benbo

Silver Spring, MD

#19 Jun 11, 2013
thinking wrote:
<quoted text>
maybe we dont know why or what happen but what we all know is he shouldnt of ever had the gun in the first place.I have no sympathy for him. what I do have sympathy for is the families of both sides. now they have to carry on with the pain after what happen. My son was shoot and murder in columbus and its because he had money and someone else wanted it. they are mudering for $1000 dollars so Im sorry i dont feel sorry for mickey if he hadnt of taken the gun he would be free today and the boy would still be alive.
him bein a knee grow has alot ta do wit it too
TEAM KYLAN

Canal Winchester, OH

#20 Jan 2, 2014
Now the end has come, and all the finger pointin can stop. JUSTICE has been served! "Mikey" has been given, 18 LONG DARK YEARS. He is no longer a part of our society, he is jus another number in the system. Kylan has been layed to rest and his God fearing family KNOWS that he is with the creator of all things. They are comforted with God's faithful love, tho saddened at times, there no heavy hearts no broken spirits, nor sleepless nights. Bt as for the CANTRELL'S....... Micheal loved his family soooo much, that he's takin their thoughts, hearts, n fears of what will become of their "dear mikey" TO PRISON 4 18YRS. Sad, bt reality is,he's no longer "mikey" bt justa number... no different than a dirty rock on a curb. No one cares. Goodbye for AT LEAST 18YRS MIKEY, MICKEY, MURDERER, WHATEVER THE CALL U!- TEAMKYLAN!!
pissed off

Toledo, OH

#21 May 21, 2014
Your only saying he is a monster cause u dont know him. Or probley pissed cause someone u know has been killed. That ain't mickeys problem what happened to you and yours. So get over it. He is doing his time and he WILL be out again. Love you lil cuz z keep our head up .
SpookyZ

Hilliard, OH

#22 Jul 19, 2014
Keep your head ......luv u bro....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Ask about Obama? America has Only One Presi... 1 min DT made Un blink 143
wow. 50% of Marriages Fail in US 12 min Dan 76
Republican Politicians have Courted Rascism FOR... 16 min d pants 88
Dems in disarray- Well, yeah! 18 min Male 1,240
OSU After Game 21 min Dan 13
Vinegar Is Racist 29 min Dan 4
Trump Will Win Again in 2020 34 min Reality Speaks 84
Finally, Donald Trump Ousted from KKKloset 2 hr Mojo Risen 84

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages