First Prev
of 25
Next Last

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#2 Jun 20, 2013
Ha! Apparently I changed her name to aula.

Columbus, OH

#3 Jun 20, 2013
Is anyone surprised? Bringing up something that has been brought up on this forum before; why is it okay for a black to call someone the "n" word, but not a white person to utilize that name?

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#4 Jun 20, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
Bringing up something that has been brought up on this forum before; why is it okay for a black to call someone the "n" word, but not a white person to utilize that name?
Whenever I hear this argument I can never tell if the person is honestly that thick or is just trying to complain that they can't use racial slurs through a passive aggressive question.

You think, surely an average adult would have a working awareness of context, weight and tone. There's no real way that a moderately educated white American can't understand why they're actively discouraged from the use of racial slurs.

But then again, it seems like more and more of my time is spent being quietly amazing at the lack of knowledge and awareness that dwells in my peers.

Columbus, OH

#5 Jun 20, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
Whenever I hear this argument I can never tell if the person is honestly that thick or is just trying to complain that they can't use racial slurs through a passive aggressive question.
You think, surely an average adult would have a working awareness of context, weight and tone. There's no real way that a moderately educated white American can't understand why they're actively discouraged from the use of racial slurs.
But then again, it seems like more and more of my time is spent being quietly amazing at the lack of knowledge and awareness that dwells in my peers.
1. I would never use that word to describe anyone, white or black
2. I get offended when I hear that word utilized, regardless of connotation and race.
3. Your pompousness of your brilliance compared to others on this forum is nauseating. You are not all that.
4. Continuing to squelch a conversation, albeit, it may have been had before, does not allow us to move forward. Possibly with different thoughts, which leads to education. The way a sentence is worded may change the way someone responds thus leading to more discussion.
5. Not thick...get your head out of the sand and digest your surroundings

Columbus, OH

#6 Jun 20, 2013
aula Deen has come under fire for allegedly using racial slurs in the past, but according to her lawyer, she’s not a racist.

“Contrary to media reports, Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable,” her lawyer, Bill Franklin, told ABC News in a prepared statement.“She is looking forward to her day in court.”

The celebrity chef and her brother are being sued for racial and sexual discrimination by Lisa Jackson, a former manager of their restaurant. According to The Associated Press, in a court deposition filed Monday in federal court, Jackson’s attorney asked Deen, 66, if she’d ever used the N-word. She allegedly responded,“Yes, of course.”

Deen reportedly added that she likely used the derogatory term decades ago, when a black man put a gun to her head during a bank robbery.

***taking a stab that topix didn't like my link. Here's the article.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#7 Jun 20, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
aula Deen has come under fire for allegedly using racial slurs in the past, but according to her lawyer, she’s not a racist.
“Contrary to media reports, Ms. Deen does not condone or find the use of racial epithets acceptable,” her lawyer, Bill Franklin, told ABC News in a prepared statement.“She is looking forward to her day in court.”
The celebrity chef and her brother are being sued for racial and sexual discrimination by Lisa Jackson, a former manager of their restaurant. According to The Associated Press, in a court deposition filed Monday in federal court, Jackson’s attorney asked Deen, 66, if she’d ever used the N-word. She allegedly responded,“Yes, of course.”
Deen reportedly added that she likely used the derogatory term decades ago, when a black man put a gun to her head during a bank robbery.
***taking a stab that topix didn't like my link. Here's the article.
Aula is the pseudonym she uses when going to that famous muslim owned restaurant on the outskirts of town. All the rancid camel butter she desires whipped up by sand....you know.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#8 Jun 20, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I would never use that word to describe anyone, white or black
2. I get offended when I hear that word utilized, regardless of connotation and race.
3. Your pompousness of your brilliance compared to others on this forum is nauseating. You are not all that.
4. Continuing to squelch a conversation, albeit, it may have been had before, does not allow us to move forward. Possibly with different thoughts, which leads to education. The way a sentence is worded may change the way someone responds thus leading to more discussion.
5. Not thick...get your head out of the sand and digest your surroundings
Working with your claims that you're not thick and not just casting about for attention, working through this logical process should be fairly straightforward.

As we can (hopefully) assume you understand concepts like context, tone and gravity, from here we can unpack some basic ideas to navigate the question you've posed.

Try asking yourself why you find the term offensive? Why might others? How might the historical and modern uses of the term vary between different users? What other kinds of dual status words or phrases can you think of which are connected to other minority groups? Have these words or phrases evolved in ways that mirror this term? Why or why not? Why does this term remain powerful? In what ways is it powerful? How are these ways different when it is used in different contexts?

I don't really imagine that this will be difficult for you to puzzle out, but if you do need any support through the process or help finding resources, just ask!

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#9 Jun 20, 2013
You all realize that the plaintiff is white...correct?

Location hidden

#10 Jun 20, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
Working with your claims that you're not thick and not just casting about for attention, working through this logical process should be fairly straightforward.
As we can (hopefully) assume you understand concepts like context, tone and gravity, from here we can unpack some basic ideas to navigate the question you've posed.
Try asking yourself why you find the term offensive? Why might others? How might the historical and modern uses of the term vary between different users? What other kinds of dual status words or phrases can you think of which are connected to other minority groups? Have these words or phrases evolved in ways that mirror this term? Why or why not? Why does this term remain powerful? In what ways is it powerful? How are these ways different when it is used in different contexts?
I don't really imagine that this will be difficult for you to puzzle out, but if you do need any support through the process or help finding resources, just ask!
Try this favorite ol' Irish phrase:

Feck off, ya feckin' condescending gobsheen.
yeah baby and hey now

Columbus, OH

#11 Jun 20, 2013
Yea, what -tip- said...ya Buggering Brit.

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 20, 2013
-tip- wrote:
You all realize that the plaintiff is white...correct?
Tip at least use a Southern drawl...

"Y'all" more appropriate. Sound smart like transgendered please.

Location hidden

#13 Jun 20, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Tip at least use a Southern drawl...
"Y'all" more appropriate. Sound smart like transgendered please.
It aggravates me when Yankees make the attempt.
And it's even worse with the gaybois' affectation and accompanying limp-wristed gesture.

Columbus, OH

#14 Jun 20, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
It aggravates me when Yankees make the attempt.
And it's even worse with the gaybois' affectation and accompanying limp-wristed gesture.
Well crud, I have all of those down to a science. Sorry to disappoint y'all. lol

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#15 Jun 20, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Well crud, I have all of those down to a science. Sorry to disappoint y'all. lol
Some chicks from here can get away with it...a few drinks help.

Columbus, OH

#16 Jun 20, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>Some chicks from here can get away with it...a few drinks help.
Don't talk about gokeefe like that!

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#17 Jun 20, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Don't talk about gokeefe like that!
Get your bony ass off of that!
They cannot kill a Spook

Detroit, MI

#18 Jun 20, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
This folks is one brit the muslims should cut the head off

Columbus, OH

#19 Jun 21, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Get your bony ass off of that!
Ugh! You know better than to throw me lines like that. You are evil...

“Zuzu's Petals”

Since: Sep 10

Bedford Falls

#20 Jun 21, 2013
Paula a racist? If she is a democrat, she is!
Oliver Canterberry

Columbus, OH

#21 Jun 21, 2013
Zoe Regen wrote:
Paula a racist? If she is a democrat, she is!
Calling someone a "racist" is part of the whole White Guilt nonsense, to make those who built powerful civilizations feel guilt for the treatment of the aboriginal people who exterminate each other on a regular basis - Rwanda, Somalia, Sudan, Haiti.
White Guilt arises from the concept of something called "The White Man's Burden" and term coined in 1899 as regards the obligation for White Europeans - Americans, British, Portuguese, Spain, France - to uplift all aboriginal people to the standards of European Culture regardless of the will of the aboriginal peoples themselves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 25
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thrift Stores High PRices 57 min Greedy 1
Marriage Vows 2 hr sidekick 10
rebecca wild 4 hr They cannot kill ... 7
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 4 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 4,986
Mana s Skeleton Found In Woods In Central Ohio 5 hr They cannot kill ... 3
Where has Rowdy been? 5 hr They cannot kill ... 6
Joe Cocker is dead. 6 hr Politics anyone 70
COPS lives MATTER 13 hr Police Crimes 227
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance