Ohio State football notebook: Offensi...

Ohio State football notebook: Offensive linemen trying to fill many holes | BuckeyeXtra

There are 26 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Apr 16, 2011, titled Ohio State football notebook: Offensive linemen trying to fill many holes | BuckeyeXtra. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

One of the most valued characteristics of an offensive line - continuity - has been hard to find at Ohio State this spring.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Stuck in the Stone Age

Phenix City, AL

#1 Apr 16, 2011
The guard positions are the key for the offensive line. I think Hall is a more than capable replacement for Adams. Lets hope they stay healthy, or less the offense will struggle, moreso than it likely will adjusting to a new starting quarterback.
Ted

Reynoldsburg, OH

#2 Apr 16, 2011
Well I sure hope it was the foot that was the issue for Shugarts last year. Because he was just horrible.
Hail to the Victors

Monument, CO

#3 Apr 16, 2011
The beat down is coming!
Go Heat!
mittymjs

Shippensburg, PA

#4 Apr 16, 2011
OK Ken, now you are on the right track! As I have said many times over these past few years, a Championship football team has to have three things going for it. It needs a dominant defensive front, a dominant offensive line and a solid QB. The QB does NOT have to be great. And TP IS plenty good enough to get the job done for us. I am pretty confident we will have a dominant defensive front this season. And we have TP starting game 6, so yes, games 1-5 right now are an issue. But more to the point is the offensive line. These guys are our meal ticket. They will be the difference between a pretty good season and a potential NC. ALL teams across the country very rarely have all three of the attributes I suggest. So while we probably have at least 2 out of 3 - that does not mean we will not have a nice season - maybe 3 losses max so 10-3 worst case. A really competitive Oline and WOA!!
So I personally am hoping to see relatively more discussion about the OLine going forward!

Since: Nov 09

Findlay, OH

#5 Apr 16, 2011
A struggling offensive line (which has happened before at Ohio State in recent years) with a QB under center with limited or no experience would not bode well for the Buckeyes for the first part of the season, especially against Miami and MSU.
Chittenden

United States

#9 Apr 16, 2011
Steve in Findlay wrote:
A struggling offensive line (which has happened before at Ohio State in recent years) with a QB under center with limited or no experience would not bode well for the Buckeyes for the first part of the season, especially against Miami and MSU.
A bigger punishment for the head coach would be to make him coach offense those 5 games and get full credit for the mess.
mittymjs

Shippensburg, PA

#10 Apr 16, 2011
I have one furthar thought on the OL. We have every reason to believe that Adams and Brewster will be dominant this season. If we can get one or two other guys over at right tackle to develop quickly ( i.e. before game 1 ) into consistant and competitive players, then in my mind those 3-4 lineman would be enough. Don't get me wrong - I am not suggesting we only play with 3-4 lineman. These 1-2 right tackles do not have to play at the level of Adams and Brewster but just consistant and competitive.
BUT BUT BUT those 3-4 lineman CANNOT get hurt! I would hope the coaching staff would give these 3-4 players a lot of down time over the early part of the season and yes, I understand Adams does not play the first 5 games. Is it unreasonable to suggest that it is a blessing in disguise that Adams won't play the first 5 games??
MisterTOO

Aurora, IL

#11 Apr 16, 2011
Another reason why the this season will only yeild 5 or 6 wins.
bob

Bolton Landing, NY

#12 Apr 16, 2011
Stuck in the Stone Age wrote:
The guard positions are the key for the offensive line. I think Hall is a more than capable replacement for Adams. Lets hope they stay healthy, or less the offense will struggle, moreso than it likely will adjusting to a new starting quarterback.
I sure hope you are right. Adams is probably the best returning tackle in the conference and one of the best in the country. He went one on one most of last year against the BIG 10 defensive ends who were among the best in the country.
Columbus Idiots

Columbus, OH

#13 Apr 16, 2011
MisterTOO wrote:
Another reason why the this season will only yeild 5 or 6 wins.
I don't think it will be that bad.I see a 8-4 regular season at best.
Earl Brews

Carlsbad, CA

#14 Apr 16, 2011
So why did Sam Longo transfer again? Seems as if he could have gotten some good playing time if he'd stuck around.
GATOR GARY

Tampa, FL

#15 Apr 16, 2011
A questionable offensive line and a questionable QB for the five games. Could be a rough season in Cowlumbus! GO GATORS!!! GO CANES!!!

“GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, OH

#16 Apr 16, 2011
8-4 season? Have you flipped your lid and forgotten about the experience our defense has??? Look OSU had the entire defense with 2nd and third stringers coming in throughout the season because of serious injuries. OSU is stacked on Defense!!! OSU's Brewster said this about our O-line this year:
The offensive line has had a much different spring than we've had before. We are working with only 11 linemen, so guys have been bouncing around playing many different positions. Guys like Marcus Hall, Andrew Norwell, and Jack Mewhort are playing four or five different positions on the line every practice. In the end though, this will help our unit if guys are versatile and can play a little bit of everything. I am super ecstatic about the O-line this year since it is probably the coolest and most chill group of guys I have ever been around. I am certain we have gotten a lot better, and after we work out all the kinks I am sure this will be one of the best lines I have ever been a part of. We just have to stay focused for these next two weeks so that we can end spring ball knowing we made as much progress as we possibly could; with the group of guys we have I know we will get it done.

The O-line last year broke down against Illinios and Iowa and a lot of the times it was the very guys that are being replaced that caused the issues. I'm actually pretty enthusiastice with our team, being we have two big QBs with strong arms and running capabilities along with Sika, Washington, Sanzenbacher, and not to mention Stoneburner!!! Yeah this team may have been ranked 15th in recruiting but they are stacked this year.
HailHail

Monument, CO

#17 Apr 16, 2011
Matt from Columbus wrote:
8-4 season? Have you flipped your lid and forgotten about the experience our defense has??? Look OSU had the entire defense with 2nd and third stringers coming in throughout the season because of serious injuries. OSU is stacked on Defense!!! OSU's Brewster said this about our O-line this year:
The offensive line has had a much different spring than we've had before. We are working with only 11 linemen, so guys have been bouncing around playing many different positions. Guys like Marcus Hall, Andrew Norwell, and Jack Mewhort are playing four or five different positions on the line every practice. In the end though, this will help our unit if guys are versatile and can play a little bit of everything. I am super ecstatic about the O-line this year since it is probably the coolest and most chill group of guys I have ever been around. I am certain we have gotten a lot better, and after we work out all the kinks I am sure this will be one of the best lines I have ever been a part of. We just have to stay focused for these next two weeks so that we can end spring ball knowing we made as much progress as we possibly could; with the group of guys we have I know we will get it done.
The O-line last year broke down against Illinios and Iowa and a lot of the times it was the very guys that are being replaced that caused the issues. I'm actually pretty enthusiastice with our team, being we have two big QBs with strong arms and running capabilities along with Sika, Washington, Sanzenbacher, and not to mention Stoneburner!!! Yeah this team may have been ranked 15th in recruiting but they are stacked this year.
Dude let me guess your favorite flavor of Kool aid is scarlet red right? Exactly how much OSU pixie dust do you snort daily?

“GO BUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, OH

#18 Apr 16, 2011
And your sniffing that Maize and blue kool aide over there. Your talking about the Buckeyes after that Mississippi St drubbing of the Mushigan Idiots.
HailHail wrote:
<quoted text> Dude let me guess your favorite flavor of Kool aid is scarlet red right? Exactly how much OSU pixie dust do you snort daily?
Hail

Monument, CO

#19 Apr 16, 2011
And your sniffing that Maize and blue kool aide over there. Your talking about the Buckeyes after that Mississippi St drubbing of the Mushigan Idiots. <quoted text>
I'm not the one thumping my chest. The bucks are gonna be average at best you need to tone it down a bit.
Can See It Now

Hilliard, OH

#20 Apr 16, 2011
And your sniffing that Maize and blue kool aide over there. Your talking about the Buckeyes after that Mississippi St drubbing of the Mushigan Idiots. <quoted text>
Did you learn the new chant yet...instead of OHIO...they will bechanting

O...L...I...E...O!!!!
Dude

North Royalton, OH

#21 Apr 16, 2011
Hail wrote:
<quoted text> I'm not the one thumping my chest. The bucks are gonna be average at best you need to tone it down a bit.
Your name is not Gator Gary Boy, so why are you trying to tell us what to do. Prove it and then brag.....

Oh, forgot you are from that place up North, gets cold up there and freezes a lot of things.
Clint

Cincinnati, OH

#22 Apr 16, 2011
Andrew Norwell is supposedly doing a very good job + is a nasty OL at 6'5" 305 lbs + Big Jack Mewhort 6'7" 297 lbs can play any position on the OL ..The Toledo St John's OL is going to be a Good One ... Go Bucks !
Hail

Monument, CO

#23 Apr 16, 2011
Dude wrote:
<quoted text>
Your name is not Gator Gary Boy, so why are you trying to tell us what to do. Prove it and then brag.....
Oh, forgot you are from that place up North, gets cold up there and freezes a lot of things.
ouch you're clever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crooked Hillarybilly 41 min Seriouslady 8
Wasserman Schultz to step down amid uproar over... 46 min Seriouslady 4
Wikileaks Shows DNC Colluding With CBS News 50 min Male 12
Leaked Emails Show DNC Officials Planned Anti-T... 50 min UTrashy 4
Thousands Hit Philadelphia's Steamy Streets to ... 55 min Seriouslady 12
Another Liberal Failure: Explosive device goes... 1 hr Zoe Regen 1
Australia boycott Rio athletes village, 'not sa... 3 hr Posting as myself 1

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance