Affirmative Action Foreign Policy

Affirmative Action Foreign Policy

Posted in the Columbus Forum

Enzyte Bob

Garden City, MI

#1 Sep 6, 2013
WALTER RUSSELL MEAD: If Obama Doesn’t Bomb Syria Now, He’s Toast.
It is precisely the President’s credibility as a spokesman for the “international community”(whatever that is) and for US foreign policy that is glaringly and horribly on the line. An effective leader would have consulted with key people in Congress and made sure of his backing before making explicit threats of force. Now the President is twisting lonesomely in the wind, and the question is whether Congress will ride to the rescue. If it doesn’t, it will be the closest thing the American system has to a parliamentary vote of “no confidence”, where Congress explicitly declares to the world that the President of the United States does not speak for the country.

That would be very dangerous. Foreigners will no longer know when and whether to take anything this President says as representing American policy rather than his own editorial opinions. We hate to say it, but that is so dangerous that there’s a strong argument for Congress to back the Syria resolution simply to avoid trashing the credibility of the only President we’ve got.

If Congress declines to support what even proponents of a Syria strike must agree is a massively screwed up policy, then the President will face another choice. He can do a “Clinton”(President Clinton bombed Serbia in the teeth of congressional disapproval), or he can fold like a cheap suit. If he chooses the latter course, Clint Eastwood’s “empty chair” stunt at the 2012 GOP convention will look eerily prophetic.

Oh, it already does. And Obama’s problem is that if he does bomb Syria, it will either do nothing much — underscoring his irrelevance — or it will topple Assad, which will likely lead to an Islamist Syria hostile to the United States. He really shouldn’t have departed from the teleprompter with that “Red Line” comment.

http://blogs.the-american-interest.com/wrm/20...
Enzyte Bob

Garden City, MI

#2 Sep 6, 2013
Will Democrats Forgive Obama for Blowing His Second Term?“Obama’s most stalwart fans will blame ‘obstructionist Republicans’ who they will say managed to overcome broad public mistrust to block the president’s agenda. But this, too, is a damning verdict on Obama’s presidency. If an unpopular GOP can govern the country from one chamber of Congress where a relatively popular president could not, what does this say about the president’s competency in office?”

Everything

http://www.mediaite.com/online/will-democrats...
Enzyte Bob

Garden City, MI

#3 Sep 6, 2013
JAMES TARANTO: Quagmire At Home: Did Obama even have a war plan for Capitol Hill?
The committee vote shows that both parties are divided. As the Washington Post notes, two of the panel’s 10 Democrats, Connecticut’s Chris Murphy and New Mexico’s Tom Udall, voted “no.” Three Republicans voted “yes.” The Senate’s most junior member, Massachusetts Democrat Ed Markey (elected in June to fill the John Kerry vacancy), voted “present,” although his comments suggest he was leaning toward “no” owing to “my worry about a greater involvement in Syria.”

One is tempted to mock Markey for that old Obama gambit–”he vowed to make a decision by next week,” the Globe reports–yet one resists the temptation when one reads his rationale:“Asked why he didn’t just oppose the authorization, as did some of his colleagues who had similar concerns, he said,‘A “no” vote would have indicated I had sufficient information on which to base the decision. Which I did not.’” Given the way this administration bullied through ObamaCare and other domestic legislation, it is easy to believe that concern is well-founded.

Committees are not necessarily representative of the Senate as a whole (except in terms of their partisan makeup), but if we assume for the sake of argument that this one is with respect to this question, Senate passage will be a very close-run matter. Seven “no” votes out of 17 amount to a hair over 41%, just enough to sustain a filibuster. Add in Markey to make it eight votes of 18, and you’re at 44%.

And that’s in the chamber the president’s party controls....

Republicans also have reason to suspect that Obama’s decision to request congressional approval was an effort to put them on the spot–and his ludicrous denial yesterday that he “set a red line” or that his credibility is at stake reinforces that view.

The fierce watchdogs of the press, confronted with this brazen falsehood, show themselves once again to be Obama’s pet hamsters. Instead of giving a “pants on fire” rating, PolitiFact.com ’s Jon Greenberg claims Obama was “reframing comments rather than denying them.” Greenberg can’t even say the statement is half true, so he withholds a rating altogether. Peter Baker of the New York Times has his own euphemisms, writing that Obama was “citing longstanding international norms” and “trying to break out of his isolation.” The funniest dodges come from Shawna Thomas of NBC News, who on Twitter calls Obama’s whopper “a definite change in tone” and an attempt “to unilaterally widen the circle of responsibility.”

That last one is priceless. Next time someone accuses you of trying to weasel out of a commitment, say you’re just trying to widen the circle of responsibility.

The press will abandon Obama last. Their loyalty is their honor.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#4 Sep 6, 2013
I repeat: How can any American not agree that Obama is a stupid SOB?

Three more years slogging through this sh!t.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#5 Sep 6, 2013
... Klein said in the Post that Bill Clinton previously had openly expressed his disdain for Obama during a private meeting, saying, "I’ve heard more from Bush, asking for my advice, than I’ve heard from Obama. I have no relationship with the president — none whatsoever.

"Obama doesn’t know how to be president," Klein quotes Clinton as saying. "He doesn’t know how the world works. He’s incompetent. He’s an amateur!"

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/klein-obama-...
Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#6 Sep 6, 2013
JONAH GOLDBERG: Clear-Cut Stupidity On Syria: Everyone’s on the hook for Obama’s “red line” comments. Except Obama. “Obama doesn’t believe he needs authorization from Congress to strike Syria, he just wants it. He’s like a kid desperate for a prom date, but too vain to admit it. In Libya, Obama had the U.N. and NATO on each arm, so he didn’t bother with asking the dog on Capitol Hill for a date. But now, faced with the prospect of going it alone, he’s in effect telling Congress, ‘Hey, it’s not like I need your company, but you’d be crazy not to go to war with me.’”

Diamond Eugene

Since: Jun 13

Hilliard, OH

#7 Sep 6, 2013
-tip- wrote:
I repeat: How can any American not agree that Obama is a stupid SOB?
Three more years slogging through this sh!t.
I wouldn't bet on that. Obama is absolutely Nixonian...don't be surprised if he exits in that fashion as well.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#8 Sep 6, 2013
Again...Barack Hussein Obama: The First Teen President.
His gay friends are a higher priority than his economy.
And ongoing wars serve as the perfect distraction.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#9 Sep 6, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>I wouldn't bet on that. Obama is absolutely Nixonian...don't be surprised if he exits in that fashion as well.
Barry is Carter without the sense of doing something for the good and not as competent.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#10 Sep 6, 2013
^^^ Barry is Carter without the sense of doing something for the GREATER good and not as competent. Carter at least wanted to do good things ... Barry has all the ego of a hoodrat who spikes the football but none of the skill or accomplishment.

He thought talking and acting presidential would be all it takes. It takes common sense, the ability to size up situations and draw the proper conclusions, and the ability to hire the right people around you.

Name one thing in Barry's background that indicate he has any of these skills.

This is truly going to be the lost decade they were predicting. And THAT'S if we're lucky. We are already 6 years since the crash, plus three more of Barry, plus three more for the next President to turn things around. We will probably have another recession (not that we still dont have one) given the timeframe.

Batten down the hatches.

Since: Dec 11

Dayton, OH

#13 Sep 6, 2013
Puleeez stop with the argument, "we must back the president", no matter how stupid he is so America's world cred doesn't suffer????? According to HIM it's not his cred so vote NO you spineless twerps. He's going to do it anyway, he said so. So let the fiasco be on his fly laden head.
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#15 Sep 6, 2013
I agree wholeheartedly with poster 13.
sincerely,
dunadd

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill Clinton And Loretta Lynch Meet 28 min Pope Che Reagan C... 19
MURICA: illicit drugs and illegal fireworks 33 min yeehaw 1
I <3 The BBC 38 min racist observations 5
News Officers shoot armed suspect 45 min racist observations 2
News City of Columbus issues nitrate warning for tap... 54 min They cannot kill ... 7
Hillary's speech - thread is missing 3 hr Beentheredonethat 162
Where will you go if Topix goes 404? 3 hr Buba 26

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages