|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't read the entire opinion, just skimmed the first few pages. In a nutshell, it looks like the Court found that Section 4 was a Constitutional restriction upon states' rights to administer elections when it was first enacted, but times have changed, and the locales previously falling under Section 4 no longer meet the criteria demonstrating evidence of racial discrimination in election processes necessary for enforcement.
I tend to agree, but racism still exists. This forum is clear evidence of that.
woof
I'm a bit ashamed to be pimping SCOTUSblog out so hard (though I'm not massively engaged in this area, so they're about the only folks I follow for it) but I'm in love with their Shelby commentary re: rigidity as it relates to location in combating race based voting rights violations in a flexible, changing world.

http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/06/shelby-comm...

Though I'm not entirely confident that we're going to wind up with a modern fix that's as effective and flexible in a context where less public attention is pointed at the issue.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Ain't it funny that people only seem to cry about "judicial activism" when they don't like how the case turned out?
I don't think this is so much activism as it is stopping activism. Nothing wrong with requiring a government to prove a need for something before they enact it.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think this is so much activism as it is stopping activism. Nothing wrong with requiring a government to prove a need for something before they enact it.
Exactly.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
"Judicial activism" is a non-issue in evaluating this matter. It played no role when the VRA was passed, and its irrelevant now as well.

People are free to argue whether this was a proper or improper decision, but its solidly grounded in the applicable principles of Constitutional Law governing states' rights, and what is required to Constitutionally permit federal oversight.

woof

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
You have got to be kidding me. You don't consider referring to a black man as a "pavement ape" is racist?
Not when it's a description of BEHAVIOR as opposed to skin color.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Not when it's a description of BEHAVIOR as opposed to skin color.
There's no term other than a clearly racist epithet that could be used to describe someone's behavior, huh Tony?

woof

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no term other than a clearly racist epithet that could be used to describe someone's behavior, huh Tony?
woof
Maybe, maybe not. But the fact that some of a certain race are NOT described that way points away from it being a reference to race.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

I posted this video on another thread, but I'll post it here as well. Seems like the same conversation is going on here.

http://www.upworthy.com/watch-a-teacher-make-...

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Activism by whom?
Congress, 48 years ago.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny. George can call someone who he believes is black all kinds of pejorative terms and it is excused. One person points out that a priest raped a child and the church covered it up and he's crying about "Anti-Catholic" bigotry.
So if George calls 100 black people "pavement ape" or "stymie" and 1 black person "Sir," to you that means he isn't a racist?
Yes, absolutely. It proves that "color of skin" is not the overriding factor, so it's not racist. If you don't want to be associated with apes, don't act like them.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Come on. Georgie uses that term when someone who he believes is black has the audacity to disagree with him. He knows nothing of any poster's behavior.
He knows the behavior those posters are defending.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to have ignored the word "judicial" in the phrase "judicial activism."
As if an adjective excuses it.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Doing something 1% of the time and the opposite the other 99% makes the 1% the norm? Really? That's just stupid.
A racist by definition believes that ALL (100%) of a race are inferior. It's an absolute... all or nothing, yes or no, one or zero. George may be opinionated, but I do not believe he's racist.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean like suggesting that Trayvon Martin shouldn't have been shot? That makes someone a "Stymie?" You are as sad and pathetic as he is.
I'm afraid I don't understand the reference. A stymie is something or someone who hinders progress. So in that sense it is based on something the person does that blocks progress (or perhaps is closed-minded and if that's the case, most of the population could be called that at times, including George) and still not skin color.

I think this is just your victimhood mentality yearning for some reason to be offended. Well, pally... offense is in the eye of the beholder and is completely the beholder's CHOICE how to feel or react. That's why they call it "taking offense".
They cannot kill a spook

Mishawaka, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 25, 2013

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you mean like suggesting that Trayvon Martin shouldn't have been shot? That makes someone a "Stymie?" You are as sad and pathetic as he is.
Trayvon was bound to get shot soonee than later. If not by an upstanding citizens like George Zimmerman than by a fellow thuglet.

Zimmerman should not be on trial but shoukd have been treated as the hero he is.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Hightstown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm afraid I don't understand the reference. A stymie is something or someone who hinders progress. So in that sense it is based on something the person does that blocks progress (or perhaps is closed-minded and if that's the case, most of the population could be called that at times, including George) and still not skin color.
I think this is just your victimhood mentality yearning for some reason to be offended. Well, pally... offense is in the eye of the beholder and is completely the beholder's CHOICE how to feel or react. That's why they call it "taking offense".
Stymie was the name of a little black boy on The Rascals.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Hightstown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

They cannot kill a spook wrote:
<quoted text>
Trayvon was bound to get shot soonee than later. If not by an upstanding citizens like George Zimmerman than by a fellow thuglet.
Zimmerman should not be on trial but shoukd have been treated as the hero he is.
I won't argue that Martin was an upstanding kid. But Zimmerman wasn't much better. There's nothing great about him. He's a wanna-be.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, has George ever called a white person "Stymie?" How about "Rastus?" What's the definition of the that term? You can try to rationalize it all you want. It doesn't change reality.
Catholic priests are, as spook likes to say, peter puffers.

Oh my...did I say that?

woof
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Stymie was the name of a little black boy on The Rascals.
So was Buckwheat. They both were very funny, and added much to the show.

unfortunately I bet like the 3 stooges, the Little Rascals got squat for their performances. None of them.

same time period I believe.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Hightstown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2013

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
So was Buckwheat. They both were very funny, and added much to the show.
unfortunately I bet like the 3 stooges, the Little Rascals got squat for their performances. None of them.
same time period I believe.
I'm aware of that. Tony apparently was not. I was just clarifying for him.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 60 of86
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

69 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 2 min nominated_1 1,971
Congress Cost FYI 4 min They cannot kill a Spook 38
Pope Francis - Another Obama Failure! 12 min yeah baby oh yeah 13
HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius Resigning 14 min Wait what 114
why is chelsea clinton so ugly? 16 min yeah baby oh yeah 19
Muslim Drivers 18 min They cannot kill a Spook 7
Is Nevada rancher a freeloader? 53 min TonyD2 145
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••