#1 Jun 25, 2013
No link yet

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#2 Jun 25, 2013
Try the live feed.

http://www.scotusblog.com/

While not a plain English feed it's pretty accessible.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

#3 Jun 25, 2013

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#4 Jun 25, 2013
http://wtvr.com/2013/06/25/supreme-court-over...

WASHINGTON (CNN)— The U.S. Supreme Court has overturned a key enforcement provision of the landmark 1965 Voting Rights Act.

The case involves Section 5, which gives federal authorities open-ended oversight of states and localities with a history of voter discrimination. Any changes in voting laws and procedures in the covered areas — which include all or parts of 16 states — must be “pre-cleared” with Washington.

After the provision was reauthorized by Congress in 2006 for another 25 years, counties in Alabama and North Carolina filed suit, saying the monitoring was burdensome and unwarranted.

Civil rights groups say Section 5 has proved to be an important tool in protecting minority voters from local governments that would set unfair, shifting barriers to the polls. If it is ruled unconstitutional, they warn, the very power and effect of the entire Voting Rights Act would crumble.

But opponents of the provision counter that it should not be enforced in areas where it can be argued that racial discrimination no longer exists.

Columbus, OH

#5 Jun 25, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
Try the live feed.
http://www.scotusblog.com/
While not a plain English feed it's pretty accessible.
Obviously I found it. TV was faster than internet...go figure.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#6 Jun 25, 2013
I will wait for the supposed protectors of separation of powers and the opponents of "judicial activism" to becry the SCOTUS legislating from the bench.
They cannot kill a Spook

Detroit, MI

#7 Jun 25, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Obviously I found it. TV was faster than internet...go figure.
Greenteeth is always trying to stir sh1t. Since it chose to be a subject it should keep it's co-cks ucker shut about issues in the US.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#8 Jun 25, 2013
And I will applaud SCOTUS for recognizing and restricting federal encroachment upon states' rights.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#9 Jun 25, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
No good deed goes unpunished.
They cannot kill a Spook

Detroit, MI

#10 Jun 25, 2013
-tip- wrote:
And I will applaud SCOTUS for recognizing and restricting federal encroachment upon states' rights.
Yet they ruled that Arizona can not require proof if citizenship to register to vote. The hordes of beaners will pour over the border to vote straight democrat and for every tax increase.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#11 Jun 25, 2013
-tip- wrote:
Yeah. Ain't it funny that people only seem to cry about "judicial activism" when they don't like how the case turned out?

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 25, 2013
-tip- wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong Tip. I believe their decision left the door open for Congress to still get involved.

Forgive me, sleep deprived and going off the snippet I found and a breaking news break.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

#13 Jun 25, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
No good deed goes unpunished.
In all fairness, the full doc is a bit out of the general public's legal literacy level.

SCOTUSblog's feed is still entirely worth general attention, though. I've fallen in love with their plain English summaries and write ups for trying to explain cases.

And they're just generally lovely. Accurate, well written, great commitment to research.

Location hidden

#14 Jun 25, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. Ain't it funny that people only seem to cry about "judicial activism" when they don't like how the case turned out?
You remain as ignorant as ever.
SCOTUS effectively severed activism by this ruling.

Location hidden

#15 Jun 25, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>Correct me if I'm wrong Tip. I believe their decision left the door open for Congress to still get involved.
Forgive me, sleep deprived and going off the snippet I found and a breaking news break.
True, however, from the majority opinion:

Outside the strictures of the Supremacy Clause, States retain broad autonomy in structuring their governments and pursuing legislative objectives. Indeed, the Constitution provides that all powers not specifically granted to the Federal Government are reserved to the States or citizens. Amdt. 10….

Not only do States retain sovereignty under the Constitution, there is also a “fundamental principle of equal sovereignty” among the States….

The Voting Rights Act sharply departs from these basic principles. It suspends “all changes to state election law—however innocuous—until they have been precleared by federal authorities in Washington, D. C.”….

And despite the tradition of equal sovereignty, the Act applies to only nine States (and several additional counties). While one State waits months or years and expends funds to implement a validly enacted law, its neighbor can typically put the same law into effect immediately, through the normal legislative process….

Nearly 50 years later, things have changed dramatically....

Congress may draft another formula based on current conditions. Such a formula is an initial prerequisite to a determination that exceptional conditions still exist justifying such an "extraordinary departure from the traditional course of relations between the States and the Federal Government." Presley, 502 U. S., at 500–501.

And SCOTUS just informed Congress that "exceptional conditions" do not exist today.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

#16 Jun 25, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you tell me what you think this this ruling means.

Glitter seems to be the closest so far at grasping the scope of the ruling.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#17 Jun 25, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
It did no such thing. Read it.

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#18 Jun 25, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
In all fairness, the full doc is a bit out of the general public's legal literacy level.
SCOTUSblog's feed is still entirely worth general attention, though. I've fallen in love with their plain English summaries and write ups for trying to explain cases.
And they're just generally lovely. Accurate, well written, great commitment to research.
I haven't read the entire opinion, just skimmed the first few pages. In a nutshell, it looks like the Court found that Section 4 was a Constitutional restriction upon states' rights to administer elections when it was first enacted, but times have changed, and the locales previously falling under Section 4 no longer meet the criteria demonstrating evidence of racial discrimination in election processes necessary for enforcement.

I tend to agree, but racism still exists. This forum is clear evidence of that.

woof

“Meh.”

Location hidden

#19 Jun 25, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
I tend to agree, but racism still exists. This forum is clear evidence of that.
woof
It sounds silly but the forum gives me hope, re: racism. Racist and homophobic (sexist attitudes seem to be longer enduring) attitudes have eroded massively in the shared public in the last few decades. Where these attitudes would have recently been widely shared, you're seeing them decline massively and self limit to anon exchanges.

Back in the day, everyone would have thought these things, said these things and it would have been acceptable in high value personal exchanges. At work, in schools, anywhere.

And, on a personal level, I've really enjoyed watching these ideas move into a more class bound system. If you look for racist posters here, you're going to see that the same folks who have a problem with other races also have a problem with basic literacy. And while I recognize that helping people address their class and educational limitations can work to eradicate these biases while providing a more equitable and fair cultural market for all, I'm delighted that the folks who retain these biases aren't in a position of power in our culture.

It would be great if we could address poverty and educational gaps in an effort to eradicate racism amongst the less privileged. But for now, it's great that these folks are too dumb/poor/devoid of agency to do much more than mutter darkly.

And when you combine these trends, to note that even amongst the lower classes this kind of speech is being limited to anon exchanges, that demonstrates that even among these less capable groups, that there's a growing understanding that these biases are unacceptable.

Tl;dr: It's kinda ok, only the lower classes really still seem to be racist in direct expression. And even they seem to know not to trot that nonsense out in the real world. Systematic racisim still sucks.

Columbus, OH

#20 Jun 25, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
True, however, from the majority opinion:
Outside the strictures of the Supremacy Clause, States retain broad autonomy in structuring their governments and pursuing legislative objectives. Indeed, the Constitution provides that all powers not specifically granted to the Federal Government are reserved to the States or citizens. Amdt. 10….
Not only do States retain sovereignty under the Constitution, there is also a “fundamental principle of equal sovereignty” among the States….
The Voting Rights Act sharply departs from these basic principles. It suspends “all changes to state election law—however innocuous—until they have been precleared by federal authorities in Washington, D. C.”….
And despite the tradition of equal sovereignty, the Act applies to only nine States (and several additional counties). While one State waits months or years and expends funds to implement a validly enacted law, its neighbor can typically put the same law into effect immediately, through the normal legislative process….
Nearly 50 years later, things have changed dramatically....
Congress may draft another formula based on current conditions. Such a formula is an initial prerequisite to a determination that exceptional conditions still exist justifying such an "extraordinary departure from the traditional course of relations between the States and the Federal Government." Presley, 502 U. S., at 500–501.
And SCOTUS just informed Congress that "exceptional conditions" do not exist today.
Pundits saying they, being congress, will not touch the decision. Thanks for more info.

I find the decision interesting yet perplexing; it's like there was no real decision. Just my interpretation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
happy thanksgiving everyone! 54 min Pale Rider 28
Gallup: Obama Approval Plunges with Working-Cla... 1 hr Neutral Party 7
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr Neutral Party 4,653
Ferguson Missouri safer than Walmart in Circlev... 4 hr Duke for Mayor 14
Ferguson Cop Darren Wilson Will Never Police Again 5 hr Zoe Regen 2
Will Cosby Be Charged With Hate Crimes For Drug... 5 hr Zoe Regen 2
Inmate pleads guilty to 1999 murder of prison g... (Jan '10) 7 hr john williams 2
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:04 pm PST

Bleacher Report12:04PM
Complete Preview for Bucs vs. Bengals