First Prev
of 17
Next Last
The Virtue of Truth

San Antonio, TX

#1 Oct 4, 2012
Why do you believe

That everything found written in the Bible is all correct?

Tell me why.
lazy atheist

Reynoldsburg, OH

#2 Oct 4, 2012
It is what man said your god said.
Conservative

Cincinnati, OH

#3 Oct 4, 2012
Not all of the bible is literal, it's written in parable, illustrating a moral or religious lesson.

Belief is a matter of Faith. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1).

A moral reminder, the idea that we are not alone to struggle through life, the idea that there is some higher purpose to our existence.

Since: Sep 10

Columbus, OH

#4 Oct 4, 2012
Conservative wrote:
Not all of the bible is literal, it's written in parable, illustrating a moral or religious lesson.
Belief is a matter of Faith. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen (Hebrews 11:1).
A moral reminder, the idea that we are not alone to struggle through life, the idea that there is some higher purpose to our existence.
Most importantly the instruction of the New Testament was to the individual and not societal.

Too many people loose sight that if they choose to believe and follow, the guide applies to them and no one else.

My issue with religion always comes in where it tries to be a societal influence rather than a personal, spiritual one.
Conservative

Cincinnati, OH

#5 Oct 4, 2012
Society is the make up of many individuals. When that makeup is largely religious based their beliefs, as those who do not believe, will almost always follow.

The guide applies to all. Individually, you accept or reject.

The 10 Commandments are religious based but can be applied to every day life and the law of man without religious connotation.

There is no argument when an Atheist opposes abortion (or any subject) but when one with a religious belief states that they oppose abortion, it's, "Don't force your religion on me". The Atheist formed is opposition by one of many forms of decision making and sources of information, the religious, included as one of his forms of information, the Bible.

Religion is a convenient whipping boy and excuse to stop debate.
Tim

Akron, OH

#6 Oct 4, 2012
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
My issue with religion always comes in where it tries to be a societal influence rather than a personal, spiritual one.
The NT is quite blatant in saying that society is to be changed, unlike the OT it doesn't mandate a governing system. But to say that it tells the believer to shut up and leave others alone, is inaccurate.
Big Johnson

Lancaster, OH

#7 Oct 4, 2012
Jesus rocks.
imagine2011

United States

#8 Oct 4, 2012
A free society cannot last without enforced moral laws.
Big Johnson

Lancaster, OH

#9 Oct 4, 2012
Big Johnson wrote:
Jesus rocks.
WTF?
imagine2011

United States

#10 Oct 4, 2012
Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF?
There will be no cursing on this thread. Thanks for your co-operation.
imagine2011

United States

#11 Oct 4, 2012
Conservative wrote:
Do you think that Faith comes from only what you are taught, say, brought up to believe by your parents or does faith come from some deeper, more spiritual occurence that confirms what you believe?

Why do you think a firm Faith in Jesus' salvation is so hard to describe or defend to unbelievers?
lazy atheist

Reynoldsburg, OH

#12 Oct 4, 2012
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
There will be no cursing on this thread. Thanks for your co-operation.
Is "WTF" really cursing or have you made up your mind in advance the F always means the F-Bomb was dropped?
Conservative

Cincinnati, OH

#13 Oct 4, 2012
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that Faith comes from only what you are taught, say, brought up to believe by your parents or does faith come from some deeper, more spiritual occurence that confirms what you believe?
Why do you think a firm Faith in Jesus' salvation is so hard to describe or defend to unbelievers?
I can only speak for myself but my introduction to my Religion was through my parents. What I learned about it at first was a combination of Parochial School, Parents and Church.

I believed because as a child it's what you do. Never really gave it much thought. In my teens I was rebellious and didn't attend church as I should but I started noticing that for some reason I felt like I was missing something, I felt unfulfilled. That feeling intensified in Vietnam. I saw things you shouldn't see, did things I never thought I'd do but I had this feeling that I was there for a reason. Maybe it was to experience it, you have to know evil to appreciate good, sorrow for happiness and hunger for plenty, maybe to help in whatever way. I was a kid, I wasn't afraid of dying or anything.

I was drawn. While there, I started attending Mass whenever I could. It filled that void. It wasn't out of fear or just in case but an honest feeling of, I belong here.

I can sit alone in the pews, not a person in sight and be at peace with myself and the world.

I don't try to explain my religion or feelings to others. I can't. I just believe. I see the miracle in my wife, children, grandchildren. I choose to believe my life was not an accident.

I sometimes hope though a little hesitant to admit it but that my family, my wife of 41 years, my life are my commitment to my faith.

I hope others see it.

My brother is a Priest. He jumped head on in it. The FULL MONTY.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#14 Oct 4, 2012
Big Johnson wrote:
Jesus rocks.
I disagree.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#15 Oct 4, 2012
Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF?
I agree.

Columbus, OH

#16 Oct 4, 2012
Conservative wrote:
Society is the make up of many individuals. When that makeup is largely religious based their beliefs, as those who do not believe, will almost always follow.
The guide applies to all. Individually, you accept or reject.
The 10 Commandments are religious based but can be applied to every day life and the law of man without religious connotation.
There is no argument when an Atheist opposes abortion (or any subject) but when one with a religious belief states that they oppose abortion, it's, "Don't force your religion on me". The Atheist formed is opposition by one of many forms of decision making and sources of information, the religious, included as one of his forms of information, the Bible.
Religion is a convenient whipping boy and excuse to stop debate.
The problem that you skirt is that we are a secular society by the Constitution. Each and every one of us is free to worship or not as we see fit. Congress can not make any laws with respect to the establishment and exercise of religion, however in that vein they are restrained from passing any law that will favor any one belief over any other.

You want government to enforce your personal beliefs, that's not what they're there for. If you believe than live your life in a manner that it might reflect your belief.

Jesus was found hanging out with the publicans and sinners, not with the temple folk.

Columbus, OH

#17 Oct 4, 2012
Tim wrote:
<quoted text>
The NT is quite blatant in saying that society is to be changed, unlike the OT it doesn't mandate a governing system. But to say that it tells the believer to shut up and leave others alone, is inaccurate.
Point me to any place in the New Testament that Jesus instructed societal change. It's simply not there. How many protests did he organize? How many times did he lobby the Roman Senate to have the 10 commandments placed in public buildings?

St. Francis of Assisi put it best "preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words." i.e. live it, don't talk it.

Columbus, OH

#18 Oct 4, 2012
imagine2011 wrote:
A free society cannot last without enforced moral laws.
The implementation of someone else's moral laws removes the freedom from society. In a free society there will be things that you may find offensive or downright evil, your freedom is not to partake. To take someone else's freedom to enter into a behavior they see fit that does not run contrary to the laws of our nation is stripping them of their freedom.

You're not free to take anyone else's rights away.

Columbus, OH

#19 Oct 4, 2012
imagine2011 wrote:
<quoted text>
In your case, your actions don't match your preaching. People see hypocrisy and you're the living definition of it.

Columbus, OH

#20 Oct 4, 2012
lazy atheist wrote:
<quoted text>
Is "WTF" really cursing or have you made up your mind in advance the F always means the F-Bomb was dropped?
keep in mind that you're addressing one who doesn't buy into her false preaching as a "pos"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 17
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Live Anthrax inadvertently sent to labs around... 27 min BizzyBee 4
Worst President in History 57 min BoneYard 197
Hillary Clinton 2016? (Apr '13) 1 hr BoneYard 230
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 4 hr realizeobjectivet... 1,166
Do Atheist Firemen go to Hell or Heaven? 7 hr d pantz 132
News Mother Enters Plea After Son Falls Into Clevela... 8 hr Chester Cheeto 1
News Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions (Jun '06) 8 hr murb1 2,769
Al Sharpton coming to Cleveland...... 15 hr d pantz 90
dana turtle 21 hr Lady Jane 13
More from around the web