Comments
1 - 20 of 52 Comments Last updated May 21, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#1 May 16, 2013
YOU explain to the chronically ill, who have precious little money for extras as it is, why they might not be able to eat - and make sure you take ownership for it. You know who you are.

_____

Cancer patients could face high costs for medications under President Barack Obama's health care law, industry analysts and advocates warn.

Where you live could make a huge difference in what you'll pay.

To try to keep premiums low, some states are allowing insurers to charge patients a hefty share of the cost for expensive medications used to treat cancer, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other life-altering chronic diseases.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57584221/...
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#2 May 16, 2013
You can certainly tell a former insurance exec helped write this thing. I think the media is turning, as I hear stories about how the bronze plan - that available for subsidies - is actually bare bones coverage. You know, they're talking about all those things I was "whining" about. Lobbyists? Kickbacks? No, never - I was simply a racist.

Have you thanked a lib lately?
wtfever

Lancaster, OH

#3 May 16, 2013
Wait what wrote:
YOU explain to the chronically ill, who have precious little money for extras as it is, why they might not be able to eat - and make sure you take ownership for it. You know who you are.
_____
Cancer patients could face high costs for medications under President Barack Obama's health care law, industry analysts and advocates warn.
Where you live could make a huge difference in what you'll pay.
To try to keep premiums low, some states are allowing insurers to charge patients a hefty share of the cost for expensive medications used to treat cancer, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other life-altering chronic diseases.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57584221/...
could face high cost for medications? they fucking do face high costs for medications. that was thanks to MMM signed into law on Dec 08 2003. Do you remember your outrage when the pharmaceutical company actually DID write the law of the land for the Medicare Precription Drug Modernization Act? Do you remember what happened IMMEDIATELY after the act was passed. Oh yeah, the price of prescription medications skyrocketed across the board and Medicare is now unable to negotiate the prices of those prescriptions thanks to the law like the insurance companies are able to.
HOW SOON WE FUCKING FORGET.
So you live in your land of COULD HAPPENS while the rest of us live in the world of IT DID HAPPEN.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#4 May 17, 2013
Wait what wrote:
YOU explain to the chronically ill, who have precious little money for extras as it is, why they might not be able to eat - and make sure you take ownership for it. You know who you are.
_____
Cancer patients could face high costs for medications under President Barack Obama's health care law, industry analysts and advocates warn.
Where you live could make a huge difference in what you'll pay.
To try to keep premiums low, some states are allowing insurers to charge patients a hefty share of the cost for expensive medications used to treat cancer, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and other life-altering chronic diseases.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57584221/...
I believe that your data is accounting for what IS, rather than what WILL BE.

Not saying that Obamacare is poised to make positive changes in any and all problems. But, it is a far different case to recognize that it failed to fix and already existing problem than to charge that it broke something that was previously working.

UCR payments have been geographically variable for as long as I have understood what they are--and that goes back a good ways.

And with regard to the Bronze level of coverage, the question you never seem able to answer is whether the folks who receive subsidies for this coverage are those who are currently not covered (hence receiving a half-loaf where there was none before), or if they are somehow going to backslide into this category because they were somehow previously covered by something better.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#5 May 17, 2013
Wait what wrote:
You can certainly tell a former insurance exec helped write this thing. I think the media is turning, as I hear stories about how the bronze plan - that available for subsidies - is actually bare bones coverage. You know, they're talking about all those things I was "whining" about. Lobbyists? Kickbacks? No, never - I was simply a racist.
Have you thanked a lib lately?
You're spot on on this, WW. And MANY doctors are not going to accept it.
There is so much we don't know, and as a country, we can't afford it.
Pray it will be repealed.
And ALL my medical info is going to be in the hands of the IRS? I'll self pay 100% myself before I let that happen. Think of those possible ramifications.
The Mrs

Dublin, OH

#6 May 17, 2013
wtfever wrote:
<quoted text>could face high cost for medications? they fucking do face high costs for medications. that was thanks to MMM signed into law on Dec 08 2003. Do you remember your outrage when the pharmaceutical company actually DID write the law of the land for the Medicare Precription Drug Modernization Act? Do you remember what happened IMMEDIATELY after the act was passed. Oh yeah, the price of prescription medications skyrocketed across the board and Medicare is now unable to negotiate the prices of those prescriptions thanks to the law like the insurance companies are able to.
HOW SOON WE FUCKING FORGET.
So you live in your land of COULD HAPPENS while the rest of us live in the world of IT DID HAPPEN.
The point is that this health reform was sold as being affordable. It is anything but.
The Mrs

Dublin, OH

#7 May 17, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that your data is accounting for what IS, rather than what WILL BE.
Not saying that Obamacare is poised to make positive changes in any and all problems. But, it is a far different case to recognize that it failed to fix and already existing problem than to charge that it broke something that was previously working.
UCR payments have been geographically variable for as long as I have understood what they are--and that goes back a good ways.
And with regard to the Bronze level of coverage, the question you never seem able to answer is whether the folks who receive subsidies for this coverage are those who are currently not covered (hence receiving a half-loaf where there was none before), or if they are somehow going to backslide into this category because they were somehow previously covered by something better.
Another silly one. What good is a health insurance plan with subsidies if you can't get a better job while on it? The "data" in that post IS what for WILL BE. It is no secret that many people will be harmed with higher costs to accommodate a few, if the few are willing to have the IRS go over their bank accounts AND have patience to fill out the extensive application.
The Mrs

Dublin, OH

#8 May 17, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that your data is accounting for what IS, rather than what WILL BE.
Not saying that Obamacare is poised to make positive changes in any and all problems. But, it is a far different case to recognize that it failed to fix and already existing problem than to charge that it broke something that was previously working.
UCR payments have been geographically variable for as long as I have understood what they are--and that goes back a good ways.
And with regard to the Bronze level of coverage, the question you never seem able to answer is whether the folks who receive subsidies for this coverage are those who are currently not covered (hence receiving a half-loaf where there was none before), or if they are somehow going to backslide into this category because they were somehow previously covered by something better.
You have a young son, don't you? Turns out he will be amongst the group who will be hit with the highest rate increase. I guess he has a really good job and extra money to spare. Good for him, because not everyone does these days.
The Mrs

Dublin, OH

#9 May 17, 2013
Yes, Ms. Reader, they may have limited insurance but will not be able to make one dollar more via a raise or a second job or a promotion to better their station in life or purchase one of the better plans with better coverage. It will be keeping them down and if they were that down already, they should be qualifying for Medicaid. I do happen to know many poor folks, who are leery of even applying because they are afraid the IRS will come after them for making more money in 2014 than they did in 2013 and, by law, the IRS can do exactly that. It is unfortunate that you and others champion such a system in the name of social justice.

And let's not forget that the government is asking private entities to help with hiring people to navigate the applications at a tune of $150B, because the government has already blown their budget.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#10 May 19, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
And with regard to the Bronze level of coverage, the question you never seem able to answer is whether the folks who receive subsidies for this coverage are those who are currently not covered (hence receiving a half-loaf where there was none before), or if they are somehow going to backslide into this category because they were somehow previously covered by something better.
Nobody knows because this is essentially an experiment at this point - an experiment which has already run out of money. Keep in mind the state exchanges which were supposed to help all of those with pre-existing who couldn't afford health insurance. Well, they were no longer denied but they couldn't afford it, either, even at reduced cost.

Folks who can't afford their employer-based healthcare because the family plan is too expensive - but whose plan meets the benchmark for single coverage - will not be able to apply for the exchanges. What are they supposed to do at this point?

As to the bronze coverages, keep in mind while the specifics of coverage are not being released until the last minute (and this should raise a red flag), the bronze coverages are admittedly poor coverage as noted in the Supreme Court hearings. If you are not adequately covered, Dear Reader, you may as well not have any insurance at all. Either way, someone will be left to pay those bills and that will undoubtedly be the better insured with some help from the taxpayers.

And last but not least, the government is already asking for money from private companies to help people apply for the exchanges because there isn't enough money. Another red flag and more to the point than "but what about".

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#11 May 20, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>

Folks who can't afford their employer-based healthcare because the family plan is too expensive - but whose plan meets the benchmark for single coverage - will not be able to apply for the exchanges. What are they supposed to do at this point?
These are folks who would most likely be able to receive assistance through S-CHIP. Recall that expansion of eligibility for children was the reform that followed the collapse of Hillarycare. If there is only one working adult, that may leave an adult uncovered--unless that adult is pregnant, in which case they may fall under S-CHIP.

But, the key question to keep asking is whether this is a net gain or a net loss.

There are a lot of single-payer advocates who went along with Obamacare on that basis. What I have always gotten from you is the sense that no loaf is better than half a loaf--and yet, no real conceptualization of what a whole loaf might look like or how to get there.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#12 May 20, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
You're spot on on this, WW. And MANY doctors are not going to accept it.
Remember that many said the same things about Medicare. And yet it has proven to be a benefit overall to the health and wealth of the elderly in this country, as well as to the health care industry, which includes doctors.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#13 May 20, 2013
The Mrs wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a young son, don't you? Turns out he will be amongst the group who will be hit with the highest rate increase. I guess he has a really good job and extra money to spare. Good for him, because not everyone does these days.
Both of my children have benefitted from the expansion that allows children to stay on a parents health care past the age of 21. Yes, it was a cost that I have paid. With no regrets.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#14 May 20, 2013
The Mrs wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a young son, don't you? Turns out he will be amongst the group who will be hit with the highest rate increase. I guess he has a really good job and extra money to spare. Good for him, because not everyone does these days.
BTW--I asked on another thread, but I don't believe you responded (or I haven't seen it yet).

You seem to know me, yet I am at a disadvantage with regards to you. Are you a long-time lurker who has just chosen to give voice to your thoughts? I am curious about the name you have chosen. Are you the Mrs. of someone who posts here, or just someone's Mrs.?

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#15 May 20, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Both of my children have benefitted from the expansion that allows children to stay on a parents health care past the age of 21. Yes, it was a cost that I have paid. With no regrets.
So your kids are losers.
What. A. Shock.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#17 May 20, 2013
-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
<quoted text>So your kids are losers.
What. A. Shock.
Given that your kids are both still in school, it seems prudent to ask who is providing THEIR health coverage.

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#18 May 20, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Given that your kids are both still in school, it seems prudent to ask who is providing THEIR health coverage.
My company plan covers to age 23 IF they are full time students, and I have to provide HR with my daughter's class schedule from OSU every semester.
Are your kids full time students under age 23?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#19 May 20, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember that many said the same things about Medicare. And yet it has proven to be a benefit overall to the health and wealth of the elderly in this country, as well as to the health care industry, which includes doctors.
Medicare and medicaid are NOT accepted by many doctors now and haven't been for 10 years. I can name two I know personally. Not too many private practitioners can afford to be 'out of pocket' for a quarter million of more for 12 to 24 months.

Obamacare is going to add more to the list for two reasons. Tt lowers what the doctor will be reimbursed and it is going to require participation in abortions.

They will not do it. They will walk away in droves. What you fail to accept, is that anti-abortion folks do not have a political agenda at all. It is purely a moral issue. "Thou shalt not kill." Period. Black and white. No gray.

Obamacare is a bad concept, put forward on a partisan vote and will cause one gigantic screw up all over the country, while bankrupting us even further.

You simply cannot keeping living on a credit card. Not an individual, not a government.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#20 May 20, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
What you fail to accept, is that anti-abortion folks do not have a political agenda at all. It is purely a moral issue. "Thou shalt not kill." Period. Black and white. No gray.
Hey stupid, when you attempt to impose your morality on others, it becomes political.

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#21 May 20, 2013
Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey stupid, when you attempt to impose your morality on others, it becomes political.
Tell that to the homosexuals.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Duke has Won, Paco has Lost 2 min Duke for Mayor 11
Where are all the original legacy posters? 30 min d pantz 194
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 40 min Pope Che Reagan C... 30,601
Second American Journalist beheaded 42 min They cannot kill ... 23
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 52 min Male 3,216
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 53 min Liar liar 2,312
The Michael Brown Case 1 hr Male 58
The non-troll discussion thread. 1 hr BizzyBee 18
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••