Savings Bank spending $3.5 million on...

Savings Bank spending $3.5 million on new Circleville headquarters

There are 19 comments on the Business Journal story from Jun 16, 2014, titled Savings Bank spending $3.5 million on new Circleville headquarters. In it, Business Journal reports that:

Savings Bank CEO Stephen Gary says the company's under-construction headquarters likely is the largest such project in Circleville in 80 years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Business Journal.

JLB

Columbus, OH

#1 Jul 8, 2014
It's good to see a long time local bank invest in downtown's future.
That's a 3.5 million dollar investment folks. This shows that they
are optimistic about our downtown area. We've lost so many
historic buildings the last several years that can never be replaced.
Hopefully they will invest in small family owned businesses that
can keep the downtown area thriving and maybe the project
on Court and Main that has been stalled for several years now can
be finished. It just takes the right person or people,financial backing
The Savings Bank can provide, and an excellent business plan.
There are success stories of many small towns reviving their
downtown areas. The community's support makes all the difference.
Tommy Hunt

Newark, OH

#2 Jul 8, 2014
JLB wrote:
Now all the drug dealers in that cesspole of a town can have a decent place to deposit their hard earned profits. Bet the Fowlers and Crosby's are doing the happy dance. Great place to build another bank for a town without jobs.
JLB

Circleville, OH

#3 Jul 9, 2014
I'm surprised that drug dealers would even open a bank account. I always
heard they deal directly in cash. I doubt most would walk into a place where they have to make transactions with tellers who live in the real world and have their wits about them. Circleville does have a lot banks in town
but I think it's mostly agriculture, farmers, seniors, and people raising
families.Yes this town needs jobs because we've lost so much manufacturing. If it wasn't for the Rickenbacker area the younger
generation would be hit hard. I don't have all the answers but I do
think and hope that with the new school campus and a good solid downtown core it could help bring the big companies back to this area.
It would give people some hope and lead this town towards a better
quality of life. Let me know your view on that?
Of course

Wooster, OH

#4 Jul 9, 2014
Fowlers and crosbys only deal in cash for fear Obama would find out their scamming the system. No more HUD EBT healthcare, wouldn't that be something? The government actually overseeing welfare?! Never happening ! So party on all you junkie dealers,enjoy all that America has to offer! Drug testing scammers and junkies before welfare, would be wonderful, but that would be profiling ! Mustn't do that!
JLB

Ashville, OH

#5 Jul 15, 2014
I'm just curious as to why that last two post are so cynical. I didn't post this to have a conversation about drug dealers and people who rely
on government assistance.Why all the politics? I guess I wanted to see
if anyone wanted to share ideas about how we can bring back the tourist dollars and hopefully bring back some businesses to Circleville. I firmly and optimistically think that the main issues in this town are getting the people who want to work and better themselves the opportunity to do so. The Pickaway Partnership (P3) is supposed to be marketing this area and it's proximity to being centrally located not only in Ohio, but the Mid-west region as well. You know after writing those last few sentences maybe it should be about politics? I guess if we make are voices' heard and let the current city administration know that people in Circleville need these jobs then maybe, just maybe things will turn around. It's going to take a lot of work I know that but we need someone with the right corporate contacts and the vision to give us the chance to make it a reality. I'd appreciate any intelligent comments
in response.
Okay

Columbus, OH

#6 Jul 15, 2014
One thing that might help is to stop focus on down town. I see shops and and bars and eateries . Of course people don't have alot of money to spend at theses places. It also might be helpful to fix Houston and western ave.Have you drove those streets? And there sits container in all its glory. What's happening there? Drugs and crime which is rarely in the paper is rampant in town and county. So the fact that the court house is all remodeled and there is a new bigger and better bank, doesn't really mean much to us regular taxpayers, John. As long as the streets are ready for pumpkin show forget about potholes so deep you see bricks. Driving scioto south of mound is like driving on a mine field.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#7 Jul 15, 2014
JLB wrote:
your dream is a good one. I agree with you completely.

community support is your roadblock.
Okay

Columbus, OH

#8 Jul 15, 2014
Yada yada yada. You both live in a bubble. I must say though, hopefully with the court house being all new and shiny,that the powers that be start handing out justice. Instead of slap on the wrist to all the junkie,thieving drug dealers. Don't you think?
isawbloodinmypoo p

Circleville, OH

#9 Jul 15, 2014
Sweet. The Savings Bank investment doesn't mean a thing. Just another bank to suck the blood of the have nots. They will make triple that investment in a matter of a couple years. They are not doing it because they love this town, they are doing it because people are dumb enough to live on credit and beyond their cap. And if they fail,(lmao) they'll get an uncle Sam bail out. Must be nice to be "too big to fail". But cheers to them, for finding out how stupid we are as a people.
Okay

Sunbury, OH

#10 Jul 16, 2014
What happened ? I mentioned some things that might bring business to the area. Of course they involved area south of downtown. I know you're not used to involving yourself with "southenders" but I pay city tax , county tax etc. so get your head out of the clouds and deal with real people with real concerns about our community . I think you are a snob who hasn't a clue about the real day to day life of regular people
JLB

Circleville, OH

#11 Jul 16, 2014
Okay you guys have some valid points, that's more like it. Yes we have
a drug problem, and hopefully that gets resolved by the system. We
also have the highest unemployment in the central Ohio area. Of all the surrounding counties of Franklin we are the highest of 7.5% last time I checked.So did the drugs and crime get worse after so many people
lost their jobs and maybe a bit of hope for the future? I think so, just my humble opinion though.Yes I agree that the area south of downtown
needs some help, the streets, the empty properties, so yes the city
could do better in that respect.I don't think the Savings Bank has the attitude of too big to fail, maybe the nationally known banks but I like to believe this bank has our collective interest at heart. They are local;
meaning the surrounding villages.If more people were financially literate
and lived within their means, they wouldn't be in debt. I know... I know
things happen job loss, medical issues, divorce, etc. I do understand
dire circumstances beyond someone's control.I disagree about living in
a bubble and I'm not a snob I am a working class person and I do
know hardship but I don't make excuses. I do want Circleville to
be in better shape because I think the future generations after us,
if they choose to stay and raise their families here can make a difference and restore the city's reputation and outlook.
Hitler

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Jul 16, 2014
What reputation and outlook are ya talkkin about? What manufacturing, RCA? Local taxes drove Lowe's to chillicothe, or they would still be here! Ralston Purina, carnation? Wynn plastics? A short, simple answer would be fine..
Think about it

Marion, OH

#13 Jul 16, 2014
Okay wrote:
Yada yada yada. You both live in a bubble. I must say though, hopefully with the court house being all new and shiny,that the powers that be start handing out justice. Instead of slap on the wrist to all the junkie,thieving drug dealers. Don't you think?
Hey it keeps all the local authorites and court house and Lawyers and Welfare office in business. Circleville is thriving like gang busters off of all the drug addicts in pickaway County, that is probably why they don't bring in any good paying new jobs and they keep letting the drug dealers and addicts out of jail so quickly.
Okay

Sunbury, OH

#14 Jul 16, 2014
That's a bit of a stretch don't you think?
JLB

Ashville, OH

#15 Jul 17, 2014
I'd rather not talk about the drugs, dealers, etc. they are everywhere
in small towns and large cities. Most will ruin their lives, the others
will lose their lives. I doubt there is any conspiracy theories because if you look around town most people are not on drugs and screwed up.

As for Hitler I'm talking about if the Pickaway Progress Partnership
can find away to get a big company interested in locating to Circleville
we would find ourselves obviously with a more healthy local economy. There is a lot of open land on North Court St., 22 West, and 23 North. What I'm trying to say is the city needs to look at hiring someone with the expertise and experience and who is a visionary to do the networking and make the contacts with any company who would show any interest in locating to Circleville.We would get a return on our investment tenfold. They'll need skilled workers of course, who can make the company successful. I''ll use this as a hypothetical scenario, What if we could land something similar to Marysville, The Honda Plant? Not Honda itself folks but another automaker? It wouldn't solve all the issues facing Circleville but it would ease many people's minds
and provide a nice life for many families. Sorry I couldn' t make this short and simple but it's never that easy or simple. So let me know and
don't forget to check out the P3 website and feel free to post some constructive solutions and opinions, thanks.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#16 Jul 17, 2014
Love to Roundtown, great news.

woof

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#17 Jul 18, 2014
Hitler wrote:
What reputation and outlook are ya talkkin about? What manufacturing, RCA? Local taxes drove Lowe's to chillicothe, or they would still be here! Ralston Purina, carnation? Wynn plastics? A short, simple answer would be fine..
Finally! Are you back or just teasing?
pawprint

Medina, OH

#18 Jul 19, 2014
Why does every single conversation on this site have to turn into a drug conversation!!! I am so sick of always having to hear about drugs everywhere I turn! They have most definitely taken over this town. It is a disgrace.
JLB

Circleville, OH

#19 Aug 11, 2014
I agree with you "pawprint" it seems that it is a big topic of conversation
for this town which can not be good for Circleville's reputation.
I frequently talk to people who used to live here and word has reached to them and for some that is the reason they left with their families and sold their homes and moved. I have tried to bring about constructive conversations for us to share some ideas about how for some of us who want the best for Circleville. I hope that it gets better but we may need more than hope because we need to ask and find out if and or what exactly is the master plan that the Pickaway
Progress Partnership (P3), the mayor, City Council, and Chamber of Commerce plan to do to help make this town safer? Is there a proposal or an artist's rendering of what we can expect with new development?One with better paying jobs and give this town a reputation as a good place to raise a family and the people are known as good skilled workers. That would be a Circleville to be proud to call home.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump...the evasive 10 min Zeeba 12
Donald Trump - Dangerous 11 min Duke for Mayor 7
Don't trust Google... 39 min Seriouslady 26
African-American man shot over politics 1 hr Male 13
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 4 hr Pale Rider 6,536
Open season on Cops 12 hr d pants 112
News Man sentenced to 10 years in Ross County tortur... 12 hr 404 not found 4
Wasserman Schultz to step down amid uproar over... 12 hr Hillary4Prison 87

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web