Obama supporters shocked, angry at ne...
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wait what

Columbus, OH

#22 Jan 6, 2013
JoJo wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely right. Several years ago I reduced my withholding to almost nothing and I put that same money aside into a separate savings account each month. Instead of loaning it interest-free to Uncle Sam all year long, I earn interest on it all year long. When tax time rolls around, I write a check using some of the money I've set aside and I keep the remainder for myself.
I'm amazed that there are still people in this day and age who have large sums withheld from their pay all year long only to think they're coming out ahead when they get a big tax refund which is nothing more than the money they loaned Uncle Sam. Of course, they usually blow the money on a vacation or a big screen tv and then repeat the cycle for the next year.
I have always been told by people who have money that the idea is to break even and not allow Uncle Sam to make interest that belongs to you. I have to disagree with Sterling; in my opinion, it's those who want to spend a lot of money quickly who are anticipating those large tax refunds because "it's the only way I can save anything". Many of those are, indeed, Democrats in the lower income brackets.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#23 Jan 7, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
<quoted text>
In my experience the less knowledgeable people are conservatives, and vote lock-step Republican.
Let's take this example in your first post. This person says they are gonna lose between $93 and $94 on the 15th. That tells me they get paid twice a month, and not badly either. Let's call it $93.50, divided by 0.02 (the 2%, same as multiplying by 50 for you slowpokes), and that turns out to be a salary of $112,200 per year. Anybody making that much that can't miss $187 a month, and didn't realize this was coming, clearly doesn't deserve that salary and should go back to burger-flipping for minimum wage. I'm guessing they are actually a Republican trolling on that site.
Alternatively, they can adjust their FIT withholding so they get it back. Anybody this stupid, again most likely Republican, is probably having way too much withheld anyway, they are one of those dumb sheep who let's Uncle have an interest-free loan all year so they can get that big refund.
Sorry, no sale.
You are absolutely right. This whole hubub is a bunch of teabaggers who make up a concept in their minds of who an Obama voter is and then search internet messages boards to find someone to fit that profile.

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#25 Jan 7, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
I have always been told by people who have money that the idea is to break even and not allow Uncle Sam to make interest that belongs to you. I have to disagree with Sterling; in my opinion, it's those who want to spend a lot of money quickly who are anticipating those large tax refunds because "it's the only way I can save anything". Many of those are, indeed, Democrats in the lower income brackets.
Everybody I work around and my neighbors that I talk to all set it up so they have large refunds and 90% of them say they vote Republican. And they are all solid middle-class people, making household incomes of 80K+, is my guess.

None of these people are smart enough or motivated enough to set it up so they break even, they have no clue how to do the math. Also, none of the co-workers are able to set up their FSAs so they get that to even out at the end of the year either. I hear the complaining about that every December.

One year I wrote a check for $4.52 on April 15, and that was less than one-one thousandth (1/1000th) of my fed income tax liability. I do my entire year's budget on a spread sheet, including taxes, and every two weeks I can see how things will be at the end of the year. Set it all up myself. I have offered many times to do it for co-workers and neighbors, but they all want to loan money to Uncle all year.

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Location hidden

#26 Jan 7, 2013
Karl Monday wrote:
<quoted text>
Check the exit polls, most high school dropouts vote straight D, the Cuyahoga machine lives off of the dropout vote.
Sure the piled high and deeps vote D, but many of them are essentially in state funded jobs.
You're equating educational level with knowledge, and that's a VERY loose correlation. If YOU had any smarts you'd already know that.

And you're claim might be true for Cuyahoga County, but not what I heard in the rural areas.

Bottom line, anyone who followed the news knew the 2% reduction was only temporary, and to call it a tax hike is wrong. Same as if something you buy regularly goes on sale for 50% off, you buy it, then the next time you try to claim they doubled the price. No no.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#28 Jan 7, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
<quoted text>
You're equating educational level with knowledge, and that's a VERY loose correlation. If YOU had any smarts you'd already know that.
And you're claim might be true for Cuyahoga County, but not what I heard in the rural areas.
Bottom line, anyone who followed the news knew the 2% reduction was only temporary, and to call it a tax hike is wrong. Same as if something you buy regularly goes on sale for 50% off, you buy it, then the next time you try to claim they doubled the price. No no.
You make two assumptions that are easily challenged:
1) That the majority of voters (regardless of political leanings) follow any sort of news beyond their city or concerning "celebrities."
2) That the MSM reports with enough vigor to ensure that people are exposed to the issue.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#30 Jan 7, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
<quoted text>
Everybody I work around and my neighbors that I talk to all set it up so they have large refunds and 90% of them say they vote Republican. And they are all solid middle-class people, making household incomes of 80K+, is my guess.
None of these people are smart enough or motivated enough to set it up so they break even, they have no clue how to do the math. Also, none of the co-workers are able to set up their FSAs so they get that to even out at the end of the year either. I hear the complaining about that every December.
One year I wrote a check for $4.52 on April 15, and that was less than one-one thousandth (1/1000th) of my fed income tax liability. I do my entire year's budget on a spread sheet, including taxes, and every two weeks I can see how things will be at the end of the year. Set it all up myself. I have offered many times to do it for co-workers and neighbors, but they all want to loan money to Uncle all year.
I think it's mostly the me generation who, if they have money in their pocket now, they'll spend it now. No discipline.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#31 Jan 7, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it's mostly the me generation who, if they have money in their pocket now, they'll spend it now. No discipline.
The same crew that if given a six month supply of food to ride out social/economic/political turmoil would chow through it in less than half that time out of a lifetime of bad habits.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#32 Jan 7, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>You make two assumptions that are easily challenged:
1) That the majority of voters (regardless of political leanings) follow any sort of news beyond their city or concerning "celebrities."
2) That the MSM reports with enough vigor to ensure that people are exposed to the issue.
A good example of that is their failure to report anything about the medications these serial shooters are on or have recently stopped taking. Ever look up the potential side effects of some of these drugs, or of stopping them?

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Location hidden

#33 Jan 7, 2013
Karl Monday wrote:
<quoted text>
In our math, if a tax rate ever goes up, its a "tax hike".
Just as "temporary tax hikes" are never temporary, so are "temporary tax cuts"
If you look at the rural areas of Appalachian Ohio, they are the swing counties of the state. Strickland won most of them in 2010, and Brown won a few in 2012.
I use real math, not wingnut new math. Case in point, your contention there are no temporary tax cuts...and yet the Social Security on was just that, temporary for two years. Everybody whose brain waves aren't flat understood that. Maybe one day you'll grow up and understand it too.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#34 Jan 7, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
<quoted text>
I use real math, not wingnut new math. Case in point, your contention there are no temporary tax cuts...and yet the Social Security on was just that, temporary for two years. Everybody whose brain waves aren't flat understood that. Maybe one day you'll grow up and understand it too.
But saying that the Bush tax cuts are temporary is about as factual as Jonathan Harris' billing as "special guest star" in all 83 episodes of Lost in Space.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#35 Jan 7, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
A good example of that is their failure to report anything about the medications these serial shooters are on or have recently stopped taking. Ever look up the potential side effects of some of these drugs, or of stopping them?
Agreed. I've seen some of them up close. I'd never take Effexor or anything like it after hearing about the side effects and withdrawal process.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#36 Jan 7, 2013
JoJo wrote:
<quoted text>
Absolutely right. Several years ago I reduced my withholding to almost nothing and I put that same money aside into a separate savings account each month. Instead of loaning it interest-free to Uncle Sam all year long, I earn interest on it all year long. When tax time rolls around, I write a check using some of the money I've set aside and I keep the remainder for myself.
I'm amazed that there are still people in this day and age who have large sums withheld from their pay all year long only to think they're coming out ahead when they get a big tax refund which is nothing more than the money they loaned Uncle Sam. Of course, they usually blow the money on a vacation or a big screen tv and then repeat the cycle for the next year.
Did you make quarterly estimated payments to IRS to avoid late payment penalty and interest?

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Location hidden

#37 Jan 7, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>But saying that the Bush tax cuts are temporary is about as factual as Jonathan Harris' billing as "special guest star" in all 83 episodes of Lost in Space.
They had a statutory sunset date...which just passed. The Congress just made them "permanent"...until they decide to raise or lower them again.

Try and keep up.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#38 Jan 7, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
<quoted text>
And you don't make quarterly estimated payments during the taxable year?

Good on the $4.52. The IRS would not have minded if you rounded that off...but it would have had to go to $5.00.

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Location hidden

#40 Jan 7, 2013
Seriouslady wrote:
<quoted text>
And you don't make quarterly estimated payments during the taxable year?
Good on the $4.52. The IRS would not have minded if you rounded that off...but it would have had to go to $5.00.
No dear, I have bi-weekly withholding, like anyone else with a regular salaried job.

Since: Oct 12

United States

#41 Jan 8, 2013
It appears liberals believed everything he said. No one really investigated what his agenda really was and is. Hope you all will be very happy with your ever decreasing paychecks. Just wait until we all start paying for Obumacare.
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#42 Jan 8, 2013
Frugalady wrote:
It appears liberals believed everything he said. No one really investigated what his agenda really was and is. Hope you all will be very happy with your ever decreasing paychecks. Just wait until we all start paying for Obumacare.
http://www.topix.com/forum/columbus/TS2F9KTH7...
lol haha

Summerville, SC

#43 Jan 19, 2013
yes i enjoyed my ntax hike in my check im losing 67 dollars week times that in a year and i got pay health insurance after my hours were cut form fullkto 39 hours u people make me sick voted for this piece of shyt obama pray to god i hope bad things happen to you assholes

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
R.I.P. Gregg Allman 5 min Brice N Livingston 2
News Wea re No. 14! Columbus tops Indianapolis in po... 50 min They cannot kill ... 4
America Held Hostage Day 127 1 hr Trouser Cough 10
!!Add a word drop a word !! (Jun '12) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 574
older women needing spanked? 1 hr jackk52 23
Obama's NSA Spied on Americans illegally 2 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 7
Giant Coyote near Marysville 3 hr Mimzy 20

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages