Posted in the Columbus Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#1 Jan 6, 2013
Sometimes, watching a Democrat learn something is wonderful, like seeing the family dog finally sit and stay at your command.

With President Obama back in office and his life-saving “fiscal cliff” bill jammed through Congress, the new year has brought a surprising turn of events for his sycophantic supporters.

“What happened that my Social Security withholding’s in my paycheck just went up?” a poster wrote on the liberal site DemocraticUnderground.com .“My paycheck just went down by an amount that I don’t feel comfortable with. I guarantee this decrease is gonna’ hurt me more than the increase in income taxes will hurt those making over 400 grand. What happened?”

Shocker. Democrats who supported the president’s re-election just had NO idea that his steadfast pledge to raise taxes meant that he was really going to raise taxes. They thought he planned to just hit those filthy “1 percenters,” you know, the ones who earned fortunes through their inventiveness and hard work. They thought the free ride would continue forever.

So this week, as taxes went up for millions of Americans — which Republicans predicted throughout the campaign would happen — it was fun to watch the agoggery of the left.

“I know to expect between $93 and $94 less in my paycheck on the 15th,” wrote the ironically named “RomneyLies.”

“My boyfriend has had a lot of expenses and is feeling squeezed right now, and having his paycheck shrink really didn’t help,” wrote “DemocratToTheEnd.”

“BlueIndyBlue” added:“Many of my friends didn’t realize it, either. Our payroll department didn’t do a good job of explaining the coming changes.”

So let’s explain something to our ill-informed Democratic friends. In 2009, Mr. Obama enacted a “holiday” on the payroll tax deduction from employees’ paychecks, dropping the rate from 6.2 percent to 4.2 percent. But like the holidays, the drop ended, and like New Year‘s, the revelers woke up the next morning with a massive hangover and a pounding head.

“Bake,” who may have been trolling the site, jumped into the thread posted Friday.“My paycheck just went down. So did my wife’s. This hurts us. But everybody says it’s a good thing, so I guess we just suck it up and get used to it. I call it a tax increase on the middle class. I wonder what they call it. Somebody on this thread called it a ‘premium.’ Nope. It’s a tax, and it just went up.”

Some in the thread argued that the new tax — or the end of the “holiday,” which makes it a new tax — wouldn’t really amount to much. One calculated it would cost about $86 a month for most people.“Honeycombe8,” though, said that amount is nothing to sneeze at.

“$86 a month is a lot. That would pay for … Groceries for a week, as someone said. More than what I pay for parking every month, after my employer’s contribution to that. A new computer after a year. A new quality pair of shoes … every month. Months of my copay for my hormones. A new thick coat (on sale or at discount place). It would pay for what I spend on my dogs every month … food, vitamins, treats.”

The Twittersphere was even funnier.

“Really, how am I ever supposed to pay off my student loans if my already small paycheck keeps getting smaller? Help a sister out, Obama,” wrote “Meet Virginia.”“Nancy Thongkham” was much more furious.“****ing Obama!**** you! This taking out more taxes s*** better ****ing help me out!! Very upset to see my paycheck less today!”

“_Alex™” sounded bummed.“Obama I did not vote for you so you can take away alot of money from my checks.” Christian Dixon seemed crestfallen.“I’m starting to regret voting for Obama.” But “Dave” got his dander up over the tax hike:“Obama is the biggest ****ing liar in the world. Why the **** did I vote for him”?

Hilliard, OH

#2 Jan 6, 2013
Of course, dozens of posters on DemocraticUnderground sought to blame it all (as usual) on President George W. Bush.“Your taxes went up because the leaders need to dig us out of this criminal deficit hole we are in which has been caused because taxes were too low during the Bush years. Everyone has to help by spreading the wealth around a little. Power to the correct people!” posted “Orinoco.”

But in fact, it was Mr. Obama who enacted the “holiday,” and, to be clear, the tax cut that he pushed throughout the campaign — remember? 98 percent of Americans will get a cut under his plan?— was really the extension of the Bush tax suts. Thus, it was Mr. Obama who raised taxes on millions of Americans, not Mr. Bush.

How many Americans? The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center in Washington put the total at 77.1 percent of all wage earners. In fact,“More than 80 percent of households with incomes between $50,000 and $200,000 would pay higher taxes. Among the households facing higher taxes, the average increase would be $1,635, the policy center said,” according to a Bloomberg News article. Hilariously, the tax burden will rise more for someone making $30,000 a year (1.7 percent) than it does for someone earning $500,000 annually (1.3 percent).

A whole new wave of Obama supporters still don’t even know: They’ll get their first 2013 paychecks on the 15th of the month. So when you’re shooting the breeze in the lunchroom with your grumbling co-workers on the 16th, just ask them,“Who’d you vote for in November?” When they say Mr. Obama, just tell them:“Well, you got what you voted for. You did know he was going to raise taxes, right?”

The looks on their faces will be priceless.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/...
Follow us:@washtimes on Twitter
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#4 Jan 6, 2013
George enraged that Obama supporters shocked, angry at new tax increases; retaliates by copy/pasting in the Topix forum.

Hilliard, OH

#5 Jan 6, 2013
Big Johnson wrote:
George enraged that Obama supporters shocked, angry at new tax increases; retaliates by copy/pasting in the Topix forum.
Enraged? LOL! I'm delighted that you morons got smacked by your messiah ;-)
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#6 Jan 6, 2013
Big Johnson wrote:
That is truly shocking!!!

woof

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#7 Jan 6, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Enraged? LOL! I'm delighted that you morons got smacked by your messiah ;-)
The hilarity has only just begun.

As the uninformed voters watch their fuel and utility costs rise over the next couple of years to "save the planet" and inflation becomes harder to hide and inevitably rises as a result of the producers passing their increased cost on to the consumers....I will be mad but, still LMAO.

If the paycheck deduction p's them off, wait till their electric bill "necessarily doubles or triples.....

Voters will find a lot of freebies "expiring" now that the election is over.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#8 Jan 6, 2013
The official release from the White House did not mention this little tidbit. Add to that the increase in health care premiums for all that free stuff, allowed under the reform. Ooops.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#9 Jan 6, 2013
Big Johnson wrote:
On this one, George is right. Shame on those who rely on modern technology for their information, instead of using their brains to actually read and research. They *should* be called out on their stupidity.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#10 Jan 6, 2013
Of course, dozens of posters on DemocraticUnderground sought to blame it all (as usual) on President George W. Bush.“Your taxes went up because the leaders need to dig us out of this criminal deficit hole we are in which has been caused because taxes were too low during the Bush years. Everyone has to help by spreading the wealth around a little. Power to the correct people!” posted “Orinoco.”
But in fact, it was Mr. Obama who enacted the “holiday,” and, to be clear, the tax cut that he pushed throughout the campaign — remember? 98 percent of Americans will get a cut under his plan?— was really the extension of the Bush tax suts. Thus, it was Mr. Obama who raised taxes on millions of Americans, not Mr. Bush.
How many Americans? The nonpartisan Tax Policy Center in Washington put the total at 77.1 percent of all wage earners. In fact,“More than 80 percent of households with incomes between $50,000 and $200,000 would pay higher taxes. Among the households facing higher taxes, the average increase would be $1,635, the policy center said,” according to a Bloomberg News article. Hilariously, the tax burden will rise more for someone making $30,000 a year (1.7 percent) than it does for someone earning $500,000 annually (1.3 percent).
A whole new wave of Obama supporters still don’t even know: They’ll get their first 2013 paychecks on the 15th of the month. So when you’re shooting the breeze in the lunchroom with your grumbling co-workers on the 16th, just ask them,“Who’d you vote for in November?” When they say Mr. Obama, just tell them:“Well, you got what you voted for. You did know he was going to raise taxes, right?”
The looks on their faces will be priceless.
Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/jan/...
Follow us:@washtimes on Twitter
It's the same as the reform, George. Those exchanges, touted as affordable, are nothing more than yet another "gotcha". If you are chronically ill, you will have to buy THE most expensive plan to get the best coverage - and the plans with good coverage do not qualify for tax credits (subsidies). That little shocker comes next year. Schadenfreude!

Hilliard, OH

#11 Jan 6, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the same as the reform, George. Those exchanges, touted as affordable, are nothing more than yet another "gotcha". If you are chronically ill, you will have to buy THE most expensive plan to get the best coverage - and the plans with good coverage do not qualify for tax credits (subsidies). That little shocker comes next year. Schadenfreude!
Agreed. And wait until the confusion, corruption and cost lead to the death spiral of private insurance. That's been the plan all along...single-payer through the back door. You'll see it by 2025. Then watch the horror of the takers when they experience the worst of Canada..times ten.
Wait What Second Read

Dublin, OH

#12 Jan 6, 2013
“BlueIndyBlue” added:“Many of my friends didn’t realize it, either. Our payroll department didn’t do a good job of explaining the coming changes.”
And honestly, someone is posting on a political website and hasn't a clue that the payroll department is *not* responsible for explaining what Congress voted on at the very last possible second?

Yes, George, you had every right to post this.

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#13 Jan 6, 2013
What a joke of a thread. Knowledgeable people, liberals and conservatives both, knew this was only temporary. To call it a tax hike is disingenuous. In fact, there were many of us who disagreed with cutting Social Security taxes in the first place, temporary or not. And Obama never promised the middle class would have a tax cut, only to keep the temporary Bush tax cuts.

Spin all you want, those of us in the know know better.

Hilliard, OH

#14 Jan 6, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
What a joke of a thread. Knowledgeable people, liberals and conservatives both, knew this was only temporary. To call it a tax hike is disingenuous. In fact, there were many of us who disagreed with cutting Social Security taxes in the first place, temporary or not. And Obama never promised the middle class would have a tax cut, only to keep the temporary Bush tax cuts.
Operative word: "Knowledgeable." That describes a distinct minority of Obama voters.
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#15 Jan 6, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
And that was the whole point, Sterling: That so many *didn't* know. Besides which, Obama already stole from SS to help pay for the health care reform and who else would pay that back but the little people?

Location hidden

#16 Jan 6, 2013
6was9 wrote:
<quoted text>
The hilarity has only just begun.
As the uninformed voters watch their fuel and utility costs rise over the next couple of years to "save the planet" and inflation becomes harder to hide and inevitably rises as a result of the producers passing their increased cost on to the consumers....I will be mad but, still LMAO.
If the paycheck deduction p's them off, wait till their electric bill "necessarily doubles or triples.....
Voters will find a lot of freebies "expiring" now that the election is over.
All the new regulations will really be a knee slapper.

Look at the delightful price increases they will cause. Ranchers and farmers can't follow them and not raise the price of their products.

I promise you, the ones making over $400K will not feel the increase and do not care. UNLESS it is privately owned a business filing by 1040.

Location hidden

#17 Jan 6, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
And that was the whole point, Sterling: That so many *didn't* know. Besides which, Obama already stole from SS to help pay for the health care reform and who else would pay that back but the little people?
Medicare $714 Billion. Wait till they start cutting SS. That's the only 'entitlement' either sides mentions and it's NOT an entitlement.

“Hi-Yo Silver! Away!”

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#18 Jan 6, 2013
<quoted text>Operative word: "Knowledgeable." That describes a distinct minority of Obama voters.
In my experience the less knowledgeable people are conservatives, and vote lock-step Republican.

Let's take this example in your first post. This person says they are gonna lose between $93 and $94 on the 15th. That tells me they get paid twice a month, and not badly either. Let's call it $93.50, divided by 0.02 (the 2%, same as multiplying by 50 for you slowpokes), and that turns out to be a salary of $112,200 per year. Anybody making that much that can't miss $187 a month, and didn't realize this was coming, clearly doesn't deserve that salary and should go back to burger-flipping for minimum wage. I'm guessing they are actually a Republican trolling on that site.

Alternatively, they can adjust their FIT withholding so they get it back. Anybody this stupid, again most likely Republican, is probably having way too much withheld anyway, they are one of those dumb sheep who let's Uncle have an interest-free loan all year so they can get that big refund.

Sorry, no sale.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#19 Jan 6, 2013
<quoted text>Agreed. And wait until the confusion, corruption and cost lead to the death spiral of private insurance. That's been the plan all along...single-payer through the back door. You'll see it by 2025.
That long?

Location hidden

#20 Jan 6, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
<quoted text>
In my experience the less knowledgeable people are conservatives, and vote lock-step Republican.
Let's take this example in your first post. This person says they are gonna lose between $93 and $94 on the 15th. That tells me they get paid twice a month, and not badly either. Let's call it $93.50, divided by 0.02 (the 2%, same as multiplying by 50 for you slowpokes), and that turns out to be a salary of $112,200 per year. Anybody making that much that can't miss $187 a month, and didn't realize this was coming, clearly doesn't deserve that salary and should go back to burger-flipping for minimum wage. I'm guessing they are actually a Republican trolling on that site.
Alternatively, they can adjust their FIT withholding so they get it back. Anybody this stupid, again most likely Republican, is probably having way too much withheld anyway, they are one of those dumb sheep who let's Uncle have an interest-free loan all year so they can get that big refund.
Sorry, no sale.
Oh sure. Great idea. Adjust your fed withholding so you make up the extra FICA and then owe withholding at the end of the year, and maybe penalty and interest on top of it. Bad advice.

I agree with you that the 2.0% jump in FICA withholding only works out to $2.00 per $100. earned and shouldn't be felt that badly. And I think we need to build up that fund.

What we don't know is if these folks have hikes in local taxes.
JoJo

Columbus, OH

#21 Jan 6, 2013
Kemosahbe wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, no sale.
Absolutely right. Several years ago I reduced my withholding to almost nothing and I put that same money aside into a separate savings account each month. Instead of loaning it interest-free to Uncle Sam all year long, I earn interest on it all year long. When tax time rolls around, I write a check using some of the money I've set aside and I keep the remainder for myself.

I'm amazed that there are still people in this day and age who have large sums withheld from their pay all year long only to think they're coming out ahead when they get a big tax refund which is nothing more than the money they loaned Uncle Sam. Of course, they usually blow the money on a vacation or a big screen tv and then repeat the cycle for the next year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are you a STAR WARS FAN? 13 min BizzyBee 37
Dear delirious lady 25 min BizzyBee II 5
2 criminals shot dead in the act by Utah citizens 32 min BizzyBee II 4
News Former worker stole from VA after falling for C... 39 min BizzyBee II 2
Interesting that Baltimore happened on Obama's ... 6 hr REAL American 28
Freddie Gray riots in Baltimore 6 hr REAL American 267
When It's OK To Shoot People Who've Offended You 9 hr Creature of Jekyl... 15
Mohammie ……THE CARTOON! 11 hr Duke for Mayor 40
More from around the web

Columbus People Search