|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
An increase in prices is "usually" to cover operating expenses, in this case employee benefits . If employees opted to carry insurance, they could share the cost, as do most of us these days. First dollar plans are totally unaffordable and we all know it. What caliber of employee would you expect to hire if you only gave them 20 or fewer hours per week?
The smart money would be fewer employees for longer hours. This will minimize the number of penalties or policies.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
The smart money would be fewer employees for longer hours. This will minimize the number of penalties or policies.
For once, an intelligent solution. More hours translating into more pay would make a lot of these folks happy. Unless you're a school kid, there isn't anything wrong with working 8 hours a day.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
For once, an intelligent solution. More hours translating into more pay would make a lot of these folks happy. Unless you're a school kid, there isn't anything wrong with working 8 hours a day.
Under Obamacare, it will be cheaper to work them a little more than 8 hours than it will be to hire additional people. Of course, it will then be a little tougher to bring the unemployment numbers down.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Under Obamacare, it will be cheaper to work them a little more than 8 hours than it will be to hire additional people. Of course, it will then be a little tougher to bring the unemployment numbers down.
Maybe not. When folks inch up above a hand to mouth existence they start buying stuff. Good for the economy. More products sold, more jobs.

The forecast has also always been a drop in per capita health care costs owing to better access to primary care. This coupled with the caps on administrative cost of insurance should result in some levelling off of individual premium costs.

I am not an economist, but I do have a healthy respect for the number of factors that go into making the economy grow and thrive or otherwise. Human behavior is likewise very complex. Difficult to predict whether business will choose ratioinally or otherwise.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Albakoikee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. I've been told by more than one company administrator that its cheaper to work people overtime than it is to pay benefits for more people.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. I've been told by more than one company administrator that its cheaper to work people overtime than it is to pay benefits for more people.
Up to a point.

About once a year, or under every new administration someone makes a lot of noise about the number of overtime hours being worked by cops, prison guards or a variety of other folks. If a certain percentage of your budgetted hours are on an as needed basis, even at overtime rates, it's easier to match hours exactly to need and save on bennies. If it goes too high, however, the overtime starts to eat up the savings, or you start to lose workers.
Blue Cab Thieves

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Stop having your pizzas delivered! Stop being lazy & pick them up yourself. That way no drivers will get robbed or killed for your pizza money. And less pizza delivery drivers means less cars on the road. Less gas being wasted on lazy people who sit on their couch's & order pizzas.

Since: Sep 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Blue Cab Thieves wrote:
Stop having your pizzas delivered! Stop being lazy & pick them up yourself. That way no drivers will get robbed or killed for your pizza money. And less pizza delivery drivers means less cars on the road. Less gas being wasted on lazy people who sit on their couch's & order pizzas.
And fewer jobs. That's brilliant, Barry.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe not. When folks inch up above a hand to mouth existence they start buying stuff. Good for the economy. More products sold, more jobs.
And you guys say trickle down doesn't work... It's OK. Just call it something else :)
The forecast has also always been a drop in per capita health care costs owing to better access to primary care. This coupled with the caps on administrative cost of insurance should result in some levelling off of individual premium costs.
Peoples' expectations will ultimately drive costs. I have a little trouble with one of my hips (I blame it on my own choice to climb towers to paint them or change lights in my younger days)... I could demand a hip replacement and probably get the insurance company to approve it... but if a couple aspirin takes care of it most days, why bother? It's not like I'm disabled... I wan walk basically forever, and just have to occasionally lift my left leg over the door sill of the car. My choice is to live with the minor inconvenience. Someone else's may be different. Who should pay for either choice?
I am not an economist, but I do have a healthy respect for the number of factors that go into making the economy grow and thrive or otherwise. Human behavior is likewise very complex. Difficult to predict whether business will choose ratioinally or otherwise.
One factor is capital, and it just seems to me to be counter-productive to deliberately antagonize those who have shown a propensity to be able to provide that particular factor. I think that while they may guess wrong, it would be safe to assume that the intent of business decisions is to maximize the profitability of that business.
VADoc

Aiken, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep and the government rapes those overtime checks. I remember many jobs if I went over 45 hours then the government was just taking the rest and I was working for free.
Blue Cab Thieves

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Cleavon Little wrote:
<quoted text>And fewer jobs. That's brilliant, Barry.
Who is Barry?
Blue Cab Thieves

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

VADoc wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep and the government rapes those overtime checks. I remember many jobs if I went over 45 hours then the government was just taking the rest and I was working for free.
Then you file your Income Tax & get it all back in 1 large lump sum.

Since: Sep 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Blue Cab Thieves wrote:
<quoted text>
Who is Barry?
Barry Soetoro, job killer extraordinaire.
Blue Cab Thieves

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Cleavon Little wrote:
<quoted text>Barry Soetoro, job killer extraordinaire.
Ah, ok

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Albakoikee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

VADoc wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, I've been there many times. I've worked hundreds of 10- 12 hour days in my time, all because the company wouldn't hire enough people to cover the hours. They cited the "economics" I referred to above.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Albakoikee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

Blue Cab Thieves wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you file your Income Tax & get it all back in 1 large lump sum.
Sorry, if you don't have a house full of dependants, you aren't going to get back squat. Try getting back a fat check when your wife works and makes about the same as you do and no kids to put on those lines.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
But is that what society needs? Fewer people working longer to support more people who won't? Seems like you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, if you don't have a house full of dependants, you aren't going to get back squat. Try getting back a fat check when your wife works and makes about the same as you do and no kids to put on those lines.
We should be allowed to claim assistance recipients as dependents...
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Like in Germany?

Germany passes unpopular healthcare reform (2010)

"The German parliament passed healthcare reform on Friday to overhaul the country's cash-strapped insurance system and plug a threatened 11-billion-euro shortfall in the public health system next year.

Chancellor Angela Merkel's center-right coalition has called the healthcare reform bill one of its most important laws this year, even though her Christian Democrats have clashed for months over details with their Free Democrat coalition partners.

Along with savings, healthcare insurance levies will be raised for employers and for the country's 72 million insured. Anger over the rising health insurance costs has contributed to a prolonged slump in polls for Merkel's coalition.

The mandatory health insurance charge now split evenly between employers and workers will rise from January to 15.5 percent of gross wages in January from 14.9 percent. Any future increases will be paid for only by employers."

http://health.yahoo.net/news/s/nm/us_germany_...
Wait what

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 21, 2012

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
WW, I can get pretty resentful when it comes to being charged with a lack of compassion. But, I suppose you really have no idea with regard to the kind of time and effort I have put into this particular (health care) issue. What E. Bob recently referred to as my "alternative lifestyle" (which accounts for my not being a millionaire) is an adult working lifetime in which I probably could have been paid better for doing other things than contributing to a movement towards better access to health care (among other things). Some people here laugh at that kind of work--calling me a leech because I don't make or sell widgets.
What I get from you is a lot of whining--understandable perhaps because you are ill--about why the current step forward is not perfect.
Frankly I don't know how much time is left in my life, any more than you do about yours. But I do know how much time elapsed between Hillary's failed attempt at health care reform and this one, as well as the bits and pieces that could be accomplished in between--and how hard even they were to come by.
I have asked you before, as has Kosmic recently. What do you advocate? All I hear from you are predictions of doom and gloom about Obamacare. What kind of health care reform do you support? Were you well-served under the unreformed system? Is that where you would prefer that we were?
Personally, I do believe that half a loaf is better than none--even if I would prefer a whole loaf, or the other half.
I hope one of your family members doesn't get your half loaf, then. It might be difficult to watch.

"Administration officials originally suggested that insurers would have to cover at least one drug in each therapeutic class. The new rules will, in many states, require insurers to cover two or more drugs in each class.

Stephen Finan, a health economist at the lobbying arm of the American Cancer Society, said, "The proposed rule is an improvement over the bulletin issued last year but still does not guarantee that cancer patients will have access to all the major cancer drugs they need."

http://seattletimes.com/html/nationworld/2019 ...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

15 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 3 min Logan 828
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr Old Guy 29,340
Colorado unveils Obamacare tax to boost struggl... 2 hr They cannot kill a Spook 2
Michael Moore, movie-making critic of capitalis... 2 hr They cannot kill a Spook 2
Obama seen as threat to Constitution 3 hr Male 46
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 4 hr Male 2,904
palin: americans will support impeachment if...... 4 hr Duke for Mayor 8
•••
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••