Fatal crash shows point of texting ba...

Fatal crash shows point of texting bans | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 18 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Nov 4, 2010, titled Fatal crash shows point of texting bans | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

As communities across Ohio debate crackdowns on in-car cell-phone use, Knox County authorities say they have a prime example.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Hubris

Columbus, OH

#1 Nov 4, 2010
Unbelievable that any sane person would think it's okay to text and drive.
Griefer

Columbus, OH

#2 Nov 4, 2010
The "it won't happen to me" syndrome strikes again. May the victim RIP.
Brilliant

Columbus, OH

#3 Nov 4, 2010
She'll be treated like a 17-YO in court. Slap on the wrist coming, for sure...
Monster Commuter

Mason, MI

#4 Nov 4, 2010
It's not just texting. It's AMAZING what I see people doing while driving on I-71 between Columbus and Cleveland. Reading, eating, texting, putting on makeup, working on a laptop. It's scary.
watcher

Columbus, OH

#5 Nov 4, 2010
Well, now she will have all the time she wants for texting. Oh crap, she cant have a cell phone in prison. Oh well.
Lolita Shih Tzu

Fredericktown, OH

#6 Nov 4, 2010
Watcher, I bet that will be the worst for her! These kids cannot live without their cell phones.
Unplug her!
Idiocracy

United States

#7 Nov 4, 2010
...and we all know that banned texting has put an end to ALL traffic accidents. Right? An uninforceable, pointless law on the books due to knee jerk reaction, that hasn't amounted to a hill of beans. People do a lot of crap behind the wheel. She was also speeding, which has killed more drivers and continue to than texting ever will.But we all do that, huh?

Since: Jun 10

Columbus, OH

#8 Nov 4, 2010
She's only gonna get like a weekend in jail. I say make an example out of her and throw the book at her
Rolling my eyes

New Albany, OH

#9 Nov 4, 2010
Idiocracy wrote:
...and we all know that banned texting has put an end to ALL traffic accidents. Right? An uninforceable, pointless law on the books due to knee jerk reaction, that hasn't amounted to a hill of beans. People do a lot of crap behind the wheel. She was also speeding, which has killed more drivers and continue to than texting ever will.But we all do that, huh?
I agree, and I'm not saying texting while driving is ok, there are a lot of other things that are just as bad. What about people eating while driving? Messing around with gps systems/radios & cds & mp3 players? Talking on the phone? There are million other things that are just as bad.
Perhaps

Columbus, OH

#10 Nov 4, 2010
Since kids already know where the gas tank, ignition, and accelerator are, what is being taught in driver's education these days? It appears offensive driving isn't even mentioned anymore. With all the computer simulations, you'd think one could be designed (like they did in a test to show how just one drink impairs driving skills & judgment) to safely "experience" the dangers of texting while driving.
I learned early that safe driving requires watching everything going on ahead, around, and behind you (constantly checking mirrors) to anticipate the unexpected from other drivers, animals, and pedestrians. The smart driver keeps a safe distance from the vehicle ahead and a way "out" should evasive action become necessary. Expressway entrances by drivers who rocket into traffic horrify me. They come like there are no other vehicles in sight, totally unaware of or ignoring the fact that all lanes are occupied, with nowhere for moving traffic to go to let them in, and act offended if they have to slow the least bit.
SomeoneWhoKnowsB etter

Canal Winchester, OH

#11 Nov 4, 2010
Rolling my eyes wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, and I'm not saying texting while driving is ok, there are a lot of other things that are just as bad. What about people eating while driving? Messing around with gps systems/radios & cds & mp3 players? Talking on the phone? There are million other things that are just as bad.
Exactly. Rather than our government officials wasting our time passing useless or unenforceable laws so that they can pretend to be doing something, we should just be enforcing the current reckless driving laws we have. At most we should modify those laws to include any sort of distracted driving like texting, reading, eating, applying makeup, etc.
BuckeyeRon

Hilliard, OH

#12 Nov 4, 2010
Idiocracy wrote:
Same old Libertarian illogical crap. "Since people do stupid, bad things, we shouldn't have any rules." Makes no sense at all.
Southern Ohio

Columbus, OH

#13 Nov 4, 2010
Brilliant wrote:
She'll be treated like a 17-YO in court. Slap on the wrist coming, for sure...
Hope not. The message has got to get across to people that texting / driving kills and injuries.
Southern Ohio

Columbus, OH

#14 Nov 4, 2010
Lolita Shih Tzu wrote:
Watcher, I bet that will be the worst for her! These kids cannot live without their cell phones.
Unplug her!
"Cruel and Unusual Punishment"
Mary

Columbus, OH

#15 Nov 4, 2010
It's too bad that cities have to put this into law. It's pretty clear that people should not be doing anything else while driving. Commom sense, which most don't have. :(

Since: Jul 09

Marion

#16 Nov 4, 2010
The only reason the whole "texting ban" is more important to those in power is it is something their generation does not use.

If someone pushed banning talking on cell phones while driving these same people would whine and cry a river since that is something they are more likely to do.

Not saying texting is acceptable but don't try to act all holy knowing that talking on the phone is worse than having a few drinks in your system.
moronh8r

Nashport, OH

#17 Nov 4, 2010
I wonder if she sent a text to her lawyer after she hit the car asking for representation. Youngsters just don't get responsibility these days. It is just a big word to them that is hard to spell in the spelling bee. Bet she wishes she would have waited for a red light to make that text. Sorry to the friends and family of the deceased.
Roger

Marysville, OH

#18 Nov 4, 2010
BuckeyeRon wrote:
<quoted text>
Same old Libertarian illogical crap. "Since people do stupid, bad things, we shouldn't have any rules." Makes no sense at all.
Seems like you enjoy your freedoms being taken away. What we need is laws that reflect common sense. Common sense tells you it is wrong to text while driving. Can we teach that class in high school or in drivers education? There are too many laws already that either go uninforced or are simply not practical.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
You can't say freshmen at Easthampton (Massachu... 4 min Enter Username 6
What Has Happened To America? 16 min Enter Username 176
What happened to the thread about AMICI"S MARK... 28 min Enter Username 5
Why Does Donald Trump Tell So Many Lies? 1 hr Duke for Mayor 126
Women Enjoy Donald Groping Them or Donald Enjoy... 1 hr Duke for Mayor 8
News Charter schools among the most segregated in Ohio 2 hr Sledgehammer Man 33
DC Scandal is about to blow wide open 2 hr Male 66

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance