Whitehall, workers at DSCC to suffer under sequester

Feb 25, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Columbus Dispatch

Employees at the Defense Supply Center Columbus make their living in part by counting - their base is one of three inventory points for the Department of Defense - but now they're doing a stomach-churning brand of math that they would prefer to avoid.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 40 of56
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Feb 26, 2013
 
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
unemployed and welfare recipients don't pay income tax.
that is why state revenues are down.
you forgot that if you don't have it, then you can't spend it.
good thing our Governor remembers that lesson, we know what happens when a moron like you runs a Government.
Reader were you Governor of California the past 50 years?
Unemployment income is taxable.

The things that are typically attributed with driving state coffers up or down, though are the purchases of "big ticket items," like cars--or that boat you thought you shouldn't have to pay sales tax on.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Feb 26, 2013
 
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm saying that the sequester was designed to be such a horrendous mistake that it would motivate legislators to do the necessary work to formulate more sensible solutions.
I have not idea what the pertinence of your interest rate example is.
However, if inflation within a particular industry is 5% and they get a 2% budget increase, this will necessitate cuts of some kind.
In the private sector, though, they typically consider revenue enhancements (dropping the size of a one pound can of coffee for instance while holding the price constant, consideration of value added enhancements (selling sandwhiches on air flights instead of just handing out peanuts)--or just flat-out up the price of their product.
We seem to stuck however on expecting the same or improved delivery of service from the government at a cheaper price.
Perhaps that is because it has been estimated that one-third of every taxpayer dollar spent by the federal government is lost due to fraud and incompetency/waste.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Feb 26, 2013
 
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm saying that the sequester was designed to be such a horrendous mistake that it would motivate legislators to do the necessary work to formulate more sensible solutions.
I have not idea what the pertinence of your interest rate example is.
However, if inflation within a particular industry is 5% and they get a 2% budget increase, this will necessitate cuts of some kind.
In the private sector, though, they typically consider revenue enhancements (dropping the size of a one pound can of coffee for instance while holding the price constant, consideration of value added enhancements (selling sandwhiches on air flights instead of just handing out peanuts)--or just flat-out up the price of their product.
We seem to stuck however on expecting the same or improved delivery of service from the government at a cheaper price.
horrendous mistake is 2.5%

2.5%?

what is horrendous is that a budget has not been in place for 5 years; and that the cuts were not 25%.

if 2.5% is horrendous by liberal speak language, then what are you going to call the cuts next month?

those cuts were to equal the tax increases passed upon the rich, so 600 billion of cuts is necessary to fulfill agreement; and sequester is over 10% of that.

so I look forward to your terminology for 500 billion dollars of additional cuts; and no more revenue talks as those ended weeks ago.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Feb 26, 2013
 
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps that is because it has been estimated that one-third of every taxpayer dollar spent by the federal government is lost due to fraud and incompetency/waste.
Estimated by whom, and using what methodology?

And recall, just as a comparison, that the administrative costs associated with the Medicare program are a fraction of those in similar insurance programs in the private sector.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Feb 26, 2013
 
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Estimated by whom, and using what methodology?
And recall, just as a comparison, that the administrative costs associated with the Medicare program are a fraction of those in similar insurance programs in the private sector.
Senator Tom Coburn's annual "Wastebook."
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Feb 26, 2013
 
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I have not idea what the pertinence of your interest rate example is.
However, if inflation within a particular industry is 5% and they get a 2% budget increase, this will necessitate cuts of some kind.
The point is that government is growing at an 8% clip. The 5% example was for ease of running the numbers, but upon further reflection it actually is the right number.

The government says inflation is about 3%. If government spending is growing 8% every year, that means there is roughly a 5% growth in real spending.

The rule of 72 still works and has nothing to do with inflation. It's just a handy way to run numbers. 5% real growth every year results in an $8 trillion budget.

Is this what you advocate?

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Feb 26, 2013
 
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Senator Tom Coburn's annual "Wastebook."
We need Senator Proxmire back. His only flaw in targeting waste was his obsessive hatred of NASA. Other than that, he was right on with most of it.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Feb 26, 2013
 
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
horrendous mistake is 2.5%
2.5%?
what is horrendous is that a budget has not been in place for 5 years; and that the cuts were not 25%.
if 2.5% is horrendous by liberal speak language, then what are you going to call the cuts next month?
those cuts were to equal the tax increases passed upon the rich, so 600 billion of cuts is necessary to fulfill agreement; and sequester is over 10% of that.
so I look forward to your terminology for 500 billion dollars of additional cuts; and no more revenue talks as those ended weeks ago.
Oh for the love of Pete, please don't start throwing percentages around again.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Feb 26, 2013
 
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
horrendous mistake is 2.5%
2.5%?
what is horrendous is that a budget has not been in place for 5 years; and that the cuts were not 25%.
if 2.5% is horrendous by liberal speak language, then what are you going to call the cuts next month?
those cuts were to equal the tax increases passed upon the rich, so 600 billion of cuts is necessary to fulfill agreement; and sequester is over 10% of that.
so I look forward to your terminology for 500 billion dollars of additional cuts; and no more revenue talks as those ended weeks ago.
The sequester implements cuts across the board, rather than applying any sensible rationale.

Get it?

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Feb 26, 2013
 
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Senator Tom Coburn's annual "Wastebook."
Methodology?

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Feb 26, 2013
 
BTW--an excerpt from an editorial terming Tom Coburn the worst possible choice for Oklahoma:

Example #1:

Dr. Coburn proudly proclaims he is 'pro-life' and that 'all life is sacred'.
He also advocates the death penalty for abortionists.

As a family practice and Gyn physician Dr. Coburn admits he has performed abortions.
Evidently Dr. Coburn has no problem with claiming 'all life is sacred' even while advocating the death penalty for those that perform abortions.
----------

Example #2:

While representing Oklahoma's 2nd District in Congress in Coburn protested NBC's airing of the historically significant movie "Schindler's List". Coburn said in airing the movie NBC had taken television "to an all-time low, with full-frontal nudity, violence and profanity". He also said the broadcast should outrage parents and decent-minded individuals everywhere.

Conservative super-stars William Bennett and Jack Kemp took Coburn to task for those remarks, with Kemp calling Coburn's remarks "a huge mistake" and Bennett calling them "very unfortunate and foolish".

Sen. Alfonse D'Amato, Republican Senator from New York said of Coburn:

"To equate the nudity of Holocaust victims in the concentration camps with any sexual connotation is outrageous and offensive. I'm particularly embarrassed they were made by a member of my own party."

----------

Example #3:

During a debate with opponent Brad Carson on KRMG radio in Tulsa Coburn played the "God card", labeling the race as simply a matter of "a battle between good and evil" with himself portrayed as the "good" and evidently by default casting Carson in the role of "evil".

As a firestorm of controversy developed over Coburn's "good against evil" gambit his opponent Brad Carson was quoted as saying:

"The battle with al-Qaida is a battle of good versus evil. Osama bin Laden is evil, not your political opponents. This isn't a political jihad; this is an election."

Carson also went on to state:

"As a Christian and a family man, I'm deeply offended by being referred to as evil. I have been called a lot of things in my political life. No one has ever referred to me as evil.".
----------

Example #4:

During a town meeting in Altus, Oklahoma Coburn was tape recorded saying:

"You have a bunch of crapheads in Oklahoma City that have killed the vision of anybody wanting to invest in Oklahoma."

A spokesman for Coburn says the candidate was referring to the state legislature not to the residents of Oklahoma City. If that is the case one can only wonder why Dr. Coburn didn't use the term "Oklahoma legislators" rather than painting an entire city's residents as "crapheads".
http://www.bubbaworld.com/coburn.html

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Feb 26, 2013
 
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
The point is that government is growing at an 8% clip. The 5% example was for ease of running the numbers, but upon further reflection it actually is the right number.
The government says inflation is about 3%. If government spending is growing 8% every year, that means there is roughly a 5% growth in real spending.
The rule of 72 still works and has nothing to do with inflation. It's just a handy way to run numbers. 5% real growth every year results in an $8 trillion budget.
Is this what you advocate?
I advocate our legislators doing what we elected them to do, which is, in part, to deal with the realities of what it costs to run our government, what is needed and what is not and the impact of the whole on our country including the economy.

The sequester was designed as a motivator for those legislators who have a hard time bringing themselves to the same table with people they disagree with and making difficult choices. If you wanna play the blame game John Boehner was talking about it before Obama. But in any case it puts in place across the board cuts that don't particularly make any sense--but they were simple to write up at the last minute during the last manufactured crisis.

One real difficulty when it comes to big cuts in the third or fourth fiscal quarter is that you cannot go back and unspend anything that has already happened. So the impact of a percentage annual cut is multiplied.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Feb 26, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Methodology?
You were provided the reference.
Look it up.

Progressives...always looking for a handout.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Feb 26, 2013
 
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Methodology?
The answer is that there is no particular methodology. And certainly nothing economically sound by which to make a claim of one-third of government expenditures being waste.

It is a bunch of cherry-picked and overblown bits and pieces lifted from context to make things look stupid--like claims of outrageous amounts being expended on studies of cow burps and the like.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Feb 26, 2013
 
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
The answer is that there is no particular methodology. And certainly nothing economically sound by which to make a claim of one-third of government expenditures being waste.
It is a bunch of cherry-picked and overblown bits and pieces lifted from context to make things look stupid--like claims of outrageous amounts being expended on studies of cow burps and the like.
You mean you're going to blindly follow your ideology without regard to factual information?

Shocking.

/s
LorenEberly

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Feb 26, 2013
 
Every American Citizen Knows or Should Know:

Every American citizen knows or should know that USA Labor Law, The Constitution, and demands of Natural Law: what Mother Nature, God, or Whatever Power decreed to be the reality of the real world, democracy, capitalism, the US Constitution, and free, fair, and affordable commerce and common sense demands.

Demands every Business Owner and Stockholder, corporation, farmer, business, outsourcer sweatshop, and nonprofit, tax-exempt, organization and Church; markets the cost in the wholesale and retail price of his or her product and service; of every worker, consumer, and taxpayer's wages (union contract), healthcare, pension, investment and independent business profit.

This enables every worker, consumer, and taxpayer to pay healthcare insurance premium or pay healthcare provider. Pay ALL taxes and pay for every product and service they use for life. With money derived from wages, investment profit, and independent business profit.

And enables every parent to educate, love, nurse, nurture, discipline, protect, and provide; for every child (job) they conceive. And fund schools, infrastructure, local and national security, government services, and etc.; with money derived from wages, investment profit, and independent business profit.

The majority of Us the Government of this Representative Republic that vote and the nonvoters that sit on their dead hands and whine; Successfully elect Obnoxious President, Vice President, and Governor, Representatives of US the Government, County Commissioners, Township Trustees, Mayors, City Council, School Administrators and Board Members.

That holds Union workers, consumers, taxpayers, and America’s grandchildren’s children, Government employees, Parents, Teachers, Veterans, Police, Firemen, and Fathers disqualified for affirmative action with white skin, Representatives deny Collective Bargaining Rights accountable.

To fund Illegal drug users and Immigrants, lottery, casino, and keno losers, unemployed Union workers replaced with nonunion workers, Human Traffickers, waitresses that pander for life for $2.00 per hour, slaves in tax abated enterprise zones, low-income child labor, consumers, and taxpayers, volunteers without wages, and nonunion workers willing to work for fewer wages than they can afford life. That pays with welfare checks, food stamps, housing vouchers, and Medicaid.

Pay for all stimulus packages, tax abatements, tax incentives, tax refunds, tax credit, and tax exemptions. Pay sales tax on the more stock dividends (money) OPEC Nations, Enron Stockholders, Wal-Mart Stockholders, Hillarys, Chinese, Foreign and Domestic Investors and Stockholders (money marketers) market quarterly. In the wholesale and retail price of every product and service Human Beings use for life. And School Boards and Government needs to build, maintain and operate schools, infrastructure, and provide local and national security, and Government services. That gets only product or service. With money derived from wages, investment and independent business profit.

Defying USA Labor Law, the Constitution, and Realities demands makes it IMPOSSIBLE for President and Congress to avoid fiscal cliff. Makes free, fair, and affordable commerce IMPOSSIBLE; Makes funding schools IMPOSSIBLE; Makes balancing every budget IMPOSSIBLE; Makes Union workers, consumers, taxpayers, and Americas grandchildren's children life UNAFFORDABLE; and created Ohio’s $1.35 trillion budget deficit, the $40 trillion social security and the $16 trillion national debt. America’s grandchildren’s children are responsible to pay Chinese, Foreign and Domestic Investors and Stockholders interest with this debt until they are 18 years old.

America’s grandchildren’s children cannot afford life and pay this debt with the $7.25 per hour Government mandated labor wage in a hundred million years.
ReTired

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#37
Feb 26, 2013
 
Before I retired I would make deliveries almost everyday to DSCC and would always see 2 or 3 sitting around doing nothing and usually the same people, but that's government employees for you.
ReTired

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Feb 26, 2013
 
LorenEberly wrote:
Every American Citizen Knows or Should Know:
Every American citizen knows or should know that USA Labor Law, The Constitution, and demands of Natural Law: what Mother Nature, God, or Whatever Power decreed to be the reality of the real world, democracy, capitalism, the US Constitution, and free, fair, and affordable commerce and common sense demands.
Demands every Business Owner and Stockholder, corporation, farmer, business, outsourcer sweatshop, and nonprofit, tax-exempt, organization and Church; markets the cost in the wholesale and retail price of his or her product and service; of every worker, consumer, and taxpayer's wages (union contract), healthcare, pension, investment and independent business profit.
This enables every worker, consumer, and taxpayer to pay healthcare insurance premium or pay healthcare provider. Pay ALL taxes and pay for every product and service they use for life. With money derived from wages, investment profit, and independent business profit.
And enables every parent to educate, love, nurse, nurture, discipline, protect, and provide; for every child (job) they conceive. And fund schools, infrastructure, local and national security, government services, and etc.; with money derived from wages, investment profit, and independent business profit.
The majority of Us the Government of this Representative Republic that vote and the nonvoters that sit on their dead hands and whine; Successfully elect Obnoxious President, Vice President, and Governor, Representatives of US the Government, County Commissioners, Township Trustees, Mayors, City Council, School Administrators and Board Members.
That holds Union workers, consumers, taxpayers, and America’s grandchildren’s children, Government employees, Parents, Teachers, Veterans, Police, Firemen, and Fathers disqualified for affirmative action with white skin, Representatives deny Collective Bargaining Rights accountable.
To fund Illegal drug users and Immigrants, lottery, casino, and keno losers, unemployed Union workers replaced with nonunion workers, Human Traffickers, waitresses that pander for life for $2.00 per hour, slaves in tax abated enterprise zones, low-income child labor, consumers, and taxpayers, volunteers without wages, and nonunion workers willing to work for fewer wages than they can afford life. That pays with welfare checks, food stamps, housing vouchers, and Medicaid.
Pay for all stimulus packages, tax abatements, tax incentives, tax refunds, tax credit, and tax exemptions. Pay sales tax on the more stock dividends (money) OPEC Nations, Enron Stockholders, Wal-Mart Stockholders, Hillarys, Chinese, Foreign and Domestic Investors and Stockholders (money marketers) market quarterly. In the wholesale and retail price of every product and service Human Beings use for life. And School Boards and Government needs to build, maintain and operate schools, infrastructure, and provide local and national security, and Government services. That gets only product or service. With money derived from wages, investment and independent business profit.
Defying USA Labor Law, the Constitution, and Realities demands makes it IMPOSSIBLE for President and Congress to avoid fiscal cliff. Makes free, fair, and affordable commerce IMPOSSIBLE; Makes funding schools IMPOSSIBLE; Makes balancing every budget IMPOSSIBLE; Makes Union workers, consumers, taxpayers, and Americas grandchildren's children life UNAFFORDABLE; and created Ohio’s $1.35 trillion budget deficit, the $40 trillion social security and the $16 trillion national debt. America’s grandchildren’s children are responsible to pay Chinese, Foreign and Domestic Investors and Stockholders interest with this debt until they are 18 years old.
America’s grandchildren’s children cannot afford life and pay this debt with the $7.25 per hour Government mandated labor wage in a hundred million years.
If you say so.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Feb 26, 2013
 
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean you're going to blindly follow your ideology without regard to factual information?
Shocking.
/s
No--I mean that your collection of factoids don't add up to meaningful data.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Feb 26, 2013
 
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
No--I mean that your collection of factoids don't add up to meaningful data.
Since you didn't check it out...you have no clue.
But, please...carry on with your usual baseless assertions.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 40 of56
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

31 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
muslim brotherhood authorizes 'anal jihad' 9 min Neutral Party 42
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 13 min Neutral Party 2,738
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 37 min lazy bones 28,638
Is Barak Obama responsible for the current bord... 1 hr Neutral Party 75
Music 1 hr PARIS COWBOY 1
COTA plans to relieve traffic congestion in Col... 1 hr Irrational Bus Routes 1
Michelle Obama f/k/a Michael LaVaughn Robinson 1 hr They cannot kill a Spook 6
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••