Whitehall, workers at DSCC to suffer ...

Whitehall, workers at DSCC to suffer under sequester

There are 56 comments on the The Columbus Dispatch story from Feb 25, 2013, titled Whitehall, workers at DSCC to suffer under sequester. In it, The Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Employees at the Defense Supply Center Columbus make their living in part by counting - their base is one of three inventory points for the Department of Defense - but now they're doing a stomach-churning brand of math that they would prefer to avoid.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Taxpayer

Grove City, OH

#1 Feb 25, 2013
Good! Get rid of overpaid, over benefitted, lazy, overpensioned government workers - PERMANENTLY.
Private Sector Employee

Grove City, OH

#2 Feb 25, 2013
Glad to see that Whitehall is cutting spending. It should do so permanently, not just for a short while.
Frugal

Grove City, OH

#3 Feb 25, 2013
No sympathey for the government & union whiners. Stop buying things on credit, if you can't afford it. Stop eating out at restaurants; cook at home. Start saving; stop charging. Get real!
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

#4 Feb 25, 2013
Its time for over-paid, lazy government employees with massive benefits and retirement scams and union thugs to get what's they deserve. These government "workers" are whining over a tiny 2% reduction in spending when private workers are getting killed by higher taxes due to Obamacare.

Shut up government employees!
Spookhere F trolls

Detroit, MI

#5 Feb 25, 2013
I hope they suspend pay checks ro the pedophiles, perverts, thieves, peter puffers just noth of Whitehall at Port Columbus Airport. For you liberals I am referring to the TSA screeners.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#6 Feb 25, 2013
Frugal wrote:
No sympathey for the government & union whiners. Stop buying things on credit, if you can't afford it. Stop eating out at restaurants; cook at home. Start saving; stop charging. Get real!
Think that might have some impact on the economy?

What you are seeing here is trickle down in action. The DSCC folks get unpaid furlough 1 day per week. Income tax revenue for Whitehall drops (not to mention the state). Hence Whitehall's gov't has to cut some salaries/services.

Meanwhile the folks with more time and less money eat at home more often, fix things around the house more often, buy fewer or cheaper clothes, see fewer movies, upgrade less and on and on. Hence retail and service revenue stagnate or tank. More loss of tax revenue. And on and on.

Just happens that Whitehall is a good clear example because of the concentration of federal workers.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#7 Feb 25, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are seeing here is trickle down in action. The DSCC folks get unpaid furlough 1 day per week. Income tax revenue for Whitehall drops (not to mention the state).
But Reader, there are no "cuts".

If the information I have is correct, the defense budget is still actually higher than it was last year (let alone 2008) even with these phantom "cuts".

Keep cutting 5% every year until the budget is in balance. What's the purpose of having DCSC anymore anyway? They store little there ... it's mostly papers they shuffle anymore.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#8 Feb 25, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
What you are seeing here is trickle down in action. The DSCC folks get unpaid furlough 1 day per week. Income tax revenue for Whitehall drops (not to mention the state). Hence Whitehall's gov't has to cut some salaries/services.
Meanwhile the folks with more time and less money eat at home more often, fix things around the house more often, buy fewer or cheaper clothes, see fewer movies, upgrade less and on and on. Hence retail and service revenue stagnate or tank. More loss of tax revenue. And on and on.
Just happens that Whitehall is a good clear example because of the concentration of federal workers.
State workers here in Ohio did the furlough gig a few years ago. Our economic picture seems to be looking brighter by the day, and it has nothing to do with Chevy Volts.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#9 Feb 25, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Reader, if USS Abraham Lincoln can have its refueling program placed on hold, these drones in Whitehall can sure as hell afford some unpaid time off.
I'm sick of Obama's games. Let's see his supporters take the hit for once.

Location hidden

#10 Feb 25, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
But Reader, there are no "cuts".
If the information I have is correct, the defense budget is still actually higher than it was last year (let alone 2008) even with these phantom "cuts".
Keep cutting 5% every year until the budget is in balance. What's the purpose of having DCSC anymore anyway? They store little there ... it's mostly papers they shuffle anymore.
Somebody's gotta shuffle the papers, clean the buildings, guard the gate.

You saying that no costs went up that might exceed the amount of increase they are allotted?

Location hidden

#11 Feb 25, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Reader, if USS Abraham Lincoln can have its refueling program placed on hold, these drones in Whitehall can sure as hell afford some unpaid time off.
I'm sick of Obama's games. Let's see his supporters take the hit for once.
I'm not playing one against the other.

Location hidden

#12 Feb 25, 2013
<quoted text>State workers here in Ohio did the furlough gig a few years ago. Our economic picture seems to be looking brighter by the day, and it has nothing to do with Chevy Volts.
You forget the big state budget cuts that were handed down to local governments--because state revenues were down.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#13 Feb 25, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You forget the big state budget cuts that were handed down to local governments--because state revenues were down.
But we have a whole lot more influence in local issues. I prefer to take my chances with my levy vote and twisting the arms of the city council members I know personally.
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#14 Feb 25, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody's gotta shuffle the papers, clean the buildings, guard the gate.
You saying that no costs went up that might exceed the amount of increase they are allotted?
Have you ever heard of the "rule of 72's"? You divide any interest rate into 72 and that's how long and takes for money to double.

72 divided by 5 equals 12.

So you're saying the budget should just go up 5 % every year and we should have an $8 trillion dollar budget a decade from now?
Enzyte Bob

Blacklick, OH

#15 Feb 25, 2013
A little off on my math ... 14+ years would be the correct answer.
Zoe

Circleville, OH

#16 Feb 26, 2013
Let the cards fall where they may.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#17 Feb 26, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
unemployed and welfare recipients don't pay income tax.

that is why state revenues are down.

you forgot that if you don't have it, then you can't spend it.

good thing our Governor remembers that lesson, we know what happens when a moron like you runs a Government.

Reader were you Governor of California the past 50 years?

Location hidden

#18 Feb 26, 2013
<quoted text>State workers here in Ohio did the furlough gig a few years ago. Our economic picture seems to be looking brighter by the day, and it has nothing to do with Chevy Volts.
The state furlough gig was ten days over the course of a year.

It would appear that DSCC is looking at 20 days over the course of one quarter.
Spookhere F trolls

Detroit, MI

#19 Feb 26, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
The state furlough gig was ten days over the course of a year.
It would appear that DSCC is looking at 20 days over the course of one quarter.
Oh well.

How about the TSA perverts bet they will not have a minute cut from their molestation time.

Location hidden

#20 Feb 26, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever heard of the "rule of 72's"? You divide any interest rate into 72 and that's how long and takes for money to double.
72 divided by 5 equals 12.
So you're saying the budget should just go up 5 % every year and we should have an $8 trillion dollar budget a decade from now?
I'm saying that the sequester was designed to be such a horrendous mistake that it would motivate legislators to do the necessary work to formulate more sensible solutions.

I have not idea what the pertinence of your interest rate example is.

However, if inflation within a particular industry is 5% and they get a 2% budget increase, this will necessitate cuts of some kind.

In the private sector, though, they typically consider revenue enhancements (dropping the size of a one pound can of coffee for instance while holding the price constant, consideration of value added enhancements (selling sandwhiches on air flights instead of just handing out peanuts)--or just flat-out up the price of their product.

We seem to stuck however on expecting the same or improved delivery of service from the government at a cheaper price.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Remember snow? It's falling in Columbus 36 min runfrom50pig 3
News Person commits suicide just outside Statehouse 55 min They cannot kill ... 2
News More than 40 windows vandalized at Columbus sch... 1 hr They cannot kill ... 1
News Armed suspect shot by officers 1 hr They cannot kill ... 1
Lottery Addiction 2 hr They cannot kill ... 2
BB's Current Events Thread 2 hr Duke for Mayor 142
The Biggest Liar On Topix 2 hr Reality Speaks 19
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages