Why Saudis Send Kids to Islamic Saudi Academy

Posted in the Columbus Forum

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#1 Jun 26, 2013
So...why isn't Obama demanding desegregation la Catholics/Protestants?

And, say...what about teaching kids that "it is permissible for a Muslim to kill an 'apostate,' an 'adulterer,' those practicing 'major polytheism,' and HOMOSEXUALS."

http://www.campus-watch.org/blog/2013/06/why-...

Why Saudis Send Their Kids to Islamic Saudi Academy

by Cinnamon Stillwell

For some time Campus Watch has followed the dubious goings-on of the Islamic Saudi Academy (ISA), a Saudi government-funded private pre-kindergarten through twelfth grade school in Fairfax County, Virginia geared towards the children of Saudi citizens. A June 3, 2013, Arab News op-ed is the latest addition to our archive.

Predictably, the author, retired Saudi Navy Commodore Abdulateef Al-Mulhim--who, to be fair, once wrote an excellent article on anti-Israelism in the Arab world--has nothing but praise for ISA, even though it is the subject of an ongoing U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) investigation into its Islamist curriculum. His glowing description provides an inadvertent glimpse into ISA's true purpose [emphasis added]:

In my opinion, this academy is ... much needed by the Saudi citizens living abroad who want ... their kids to receive a well-rounded education that includes parts of the curriculum they are used to back in Saudi Arabia.

What does such a curriculum include? According to a 2006 study cited by Nina Shea, director of the Hudson Institute's Center for Religious Freedom and a USCIRF Commissioner, Saudi government textbooks used at ISA:

[A]ssert that it is permissible for a Muslim to kill an 'apostate,' an 'adulterer,' those practicing 'major polytheism,' and homosexuals. They promote global jihad as an 'effort to wage war against the unbelievers,' including for the purpose of 'calling [infidels] to the faith.' They continue to teach that 'the hour [of judgment] will not come until the Muslims fight the Jews and kill them,' that Shiite practices amount to 'polytheism'(see above), that the Christian Crusades never ended, and that the Protocols of the Elders of Zion are historical fact.

Despite claims to the contrary from the Saudi Ministry of Education, a 2008 update to the study reveals that little has changed. ISA itself asserts that the USCIRF reports relied upon "mistranslated and misinterpreted texts," but due to stonewalling and disputes over the method of delivery, the few textbooks that have been examined contained hasty, incomplete, or nonexistent revisions.

This is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to ISA's troublesome track record. Among its graduates are a valedictorian, Ahmed Omar Abu Ali, who was convicted in 2003 for joining al-Qaeda and plotting to assassinate President George W. Bush, and former students Mohammed Osman Idris and Mohammed el-Yacoubi, who were denied entry to Israel in December, 2001 under suspicion of planning to carry out a suicide bombing; Idris was eventually charged in the U.S. with lying to a federal grand jury investigating terrorism.

All of which sounds exactly like what students "are used to back in Saudi Arabia."

Location hidden

#2 Jun 26, 2013
Oh, leftists...where are you?

<crickets>

Why aren't you screaming about this murderous Muslim teaching against homosexuals taking place right here in these United States of America?

Location hidden

#3 Jun 26, 2013
Paula Deen admits to using the "N" word at some point in time...and you set her world on fire.

Muslims support the murder of gays...and you look away.

Your commitment to your "principles" is noted.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#4 Jun 26, 2013
Yeah, there was a similar call to arms about public funds being used in GA to buy vouchers for religious schools that promoted anti gay and often violent curriculum points.

I don't think they managed to resolve the issue there, even with public funds being involved.

Really, America should look to the UK's faith school model for the context on which to build inclusive curriculum administered by various faiths.

But I don't think it's likely.

Or even entirely a religious issue. You've still got nihinjinron being taught in Japanese expat schools.

I'm not really sure how to solve this, short of instituting a more rigid system of oversight that includes faith and private schools as well as homeschooling.

I don't think you'll ever be able to keep people fro teaching their kids to hate. Though we could make a lot of progess in making sure that it's not being taught as a core subject!

Location hidden

#5 Jun 26, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
Yeah, there was a similar call to arms about public funds being used in GA to buy vouchers for religious schools that promoted anti gay and often violent curriculum points.
I don't think they managed to resolve the issue there, even with public funds being involved.
Really, America should look to the UK's faith school model for the context on which to build inclusive curriculum administered by various faiths.
Or even entirely a religious issue. You've still got nihinjinron being taught in Japanese expat schools.
I'm not really sure how to solve this, short of instituting a more rigid system of oversight that includes faith and private schools as well as homeschooling.
I don't think you'll ever be able to keep people fro teaching their kids to hate. Though we could make a lot of progess in making sure that it's not being taught as a core subject!
Your ever-present relativism is noted.

There is a massive distinction between teaching that same-sex behaviors are immoral...versus...teaching that participants should be murdered.

Location hidden

#6 Jun 26, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
By the way, the UK is a model for dhimmitude -- one that should not be emulated by freedom-loving Americans.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#7 Jun 26, 2013
I agree, any of these folks teaching religiously inspired messages that it's appropriate to react to someone's orientation violently is inappropriate.

While we can (and should) yank the public funding from schools taking vouchers fairly easily.

I still think that a larger structure of oversight is the only way you could get around hate teachings, especially ones that include violence. The question becomes how legally viable that would be.

Location hidden

#8 Jun 26, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
I agree, any of these folks teaching religiously inspired messages that it's appropriate to react to someone's orientation violently is inappropriate.
While we can (and should) yank the public funding from schools taking vouchers fairly easily.
I still think that a larger structure of oversight is the only way you could get around hate teachings, especially ones that include violence. The question becomes how legally viable that would be.
Again...

Morality is not "hate teaching."
Murder is.
They cannot kill a spook

Detroit, MI

#9 Jun 27, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Again...
Morality is not "hate teaching."
Murder is.
It is only murder if the killing is not sanctioned. Too bad there wasn't a muslim with a pressure cooker at the stonewall freak show

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Timeline of Patricia Adkins' murder | The Colum... (Dec '10) 19 min Concerned 91
EBOLA: American Outbreak 24 min d pantz 39
T r a m a d o l & X A N A X and much more 30 min d pantz 9
The Incompetence Virus 2 hr See theUSA in a C... 2
men who wear nighties (Sep '13) 2 hr lovenighties 29
Breaking: Second Nurse w/ Ebola flies with 99.5... 4 hr Black Rhino 105
Dewine putting campaign cash in own account! 4 hr Duke for Mayor 10
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 6 hr Anonymous of Indy 3,954
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus Jobs

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]