sidekick

Columbus, OH

#21 Nov 25, 2013
Trayvonius Martinez wrote:
<quoted text>Not in their present incarnations. But what kid growing up in the '60s and '70s didn't love Sears? The Christmas Wish Book and the weekly trips to Sears at the mall on Saturdays? Back when they had a candy shop, a cafeteria, a toy department and a music department? That was pure Americana.
Sears started sh!tting the bed in the '90s.
My grandpa only bought his appliances, tools and batteries from Sears. As a kid, it always felt like a big deal to go get a new fridge or washer & drier. Somewhat of a challenge in getting it home and unloaded. I remember tackling the task of taking the doors off their hinges for many things to fit in the house.
Another story I recall, which I think was Die-Hard battery related, was that my grandpa said them batteries didn't blow up on you if you hooked them up wrong or opened them. I don't know if it was true or not, but he showed me an old scar or rash type mark across the side of his neck where he said a battery done that to him back in the day. I might've been 8-9 years old at the time, so I always believed they sold nicer stuff from there out.

Later in the 90s as you'll likely know, I wound up working for Sears Distribution.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#22 Nov 25, 2013
Chilli Gal wrote:
<quoted text> I think it is sad. Sears has been around thru several generations and provided a large variety of items for the whole family and home, 99% made in America when I was raising my family. Now We have Walmart and all the cheap chinese crap to make multi billionaires out of Sam's kids and the workers are glad to get the low wages that you can't live on. I never shop Walmart and I will miss Sears, like the fact that they serviced their appliances, mowers,and furnaces. I think Americans buying Chinese crap is SAD, especially American flags.
Sears sold out to import crap, too.
Only they forgot to lower their prices.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/front-pa...
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#23 Nov 25, 2013
-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Sears sold out to import crap, too.
Only they forgot to lower their prices.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/front-pa...
Stanley done it also, years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if they were the same Asian factories.

“Seven Days In May”

Since: Oct 13

Hilliard, OH

#24 Nov 25, 2013
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
Stanley done it also, years ago. It wouldn't surprise me if they were the same Asian factories.
Stanley seems more interested in being a security systems company these days...they contract for NASA and they bought Sonitrol a few years ago.
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

#25 Nov 25, 2013
<quoted text>Stanley seems more interested in being a security systems company these days...they contract for NASA and they bought Sonitrol a few years ago.
Stanely now owns Black & decker ( dewalt etc ) Mac Tools, Facom, Stanely Bostitch, porter cable, and many others and all are being pushed to chinese or mexico manufacture. Mac tools used to be almost all Ohio made but for a few relable specialty tools from lisle and some German made pliers. Now it is a crap shoot.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#26 Nov 25, 2013
<quoted text>Stanley seems more interested in being a security systems company these days...they contract for NASA and they bought Sonitrol a few years ago.
I didn't notice any about that. I did see they teamed up with Black & Decker in 2010 on their tool side, but after looking a little into it, they're expanding in all sorts of fields under the name Stanley.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#27 Nov 25, 2013
And Stanley runs Sonitrol as a LLC company.

“Seven Days In May”

Since: Oct 13

Hilliard, OH

#28 Nov 25, 2013
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't notice any about that. I did see they teamed up with Black & Decker in 2010 on their tool side, but after looking a little into it, they're expanding in all sorts of fields under the name Stanley.
Yep. Definitely not the company they used to be. They're getting into health care supplies, too.
I remember when they were about to move their HQ to Bermuda about ten years ago...the government really put the screws to them to abandon that idea.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#29 Nov 25, 2013
They cannot kill a Spook wrote:
<quoted text>
Stanely now owns Black & decker ( dewalt etc ) Mac Tools, Facom, Stanely Bostitch, porter cable, and many others and all are being pushed to chinese or mexico manufacture. Mac tools used to be almost all Ohio made but for a few relable specialty tools from lisle and some German made pliers. Now it is a crap shoot.
One other fine tool maker I liked moved further away from the US. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingersoll_Rand
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#30 Nov 25, 2013
<quoted text>Yep. Definitely not the company they used to be. They're getting into health care supplies, too.
I remember when they were about to move their HQ to Bermuda about ten years ago...the government really put the screws to them to abandon that idea.
They've been located in New Britain, CT since 1843.
I remember reading about the point you brought up years ago, but kinda shunned away from them since Dewalt and Hitachi seems to make a better tool nowadays.
I'm going to keep an eye out for what odd items I see with their name on them.
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

#31 Nov 25, 2013
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
One other fine tool maker I liked moved further away from the US. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingersoll_Rand
Plus much of their construction equipment lines like Bobcat and thier rollers paver compactors ( rubber tire with single.steel drum up front) light towers and diesel powered air compressors went to Dooson in Korea, a formerly bankrupt.com pany known as Daewoo.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#32 Nov 25, 2013
<quoted text>
When someone like Stanley buys out companies such as Mac, Dewalt, etc. I might not hold the quality of the tool to decrease as long as they keep it where its at. Not outsource them overseas to unknown quality controlled factories like Tip's prior link showed.
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

#33 Nov 25, 2013
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
They've been located in New Britain, CT since 1843.
I remember reading about the point you brought up years ago, but kinda shunned away from them since Dewalt and Hitachi seems to make a better tool nowadays.
I'm going to keep an eye out for what odd items I see with their name on them.
Dewalt is owned by Stanely group now. Milwaukee is owned by the Ryobi group now. Hitachi has very little made.in Japan most now china.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#34 Nov 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Dewalt is owned by Stanely group now. Milwaukee is owned by the Ryobi group now. Hitachi has very little made.in Japan most now china.
It sucks to not know where the hell the tools you work with come from. We can only go by hear say and self experience with which one to sink our money in. I've learned a few places to check on where they're made at, which most have codes and initials for their factories location. By the time we're dead, probably the few tools thats still made in America will also be foreign made. Who knows...It sucks.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#35 Nov 25, 2013
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
It sucks to not know where the hell the tools you work with come from. We can only go by hear say and self experience with which one to sink our money in. I've learned a few places to check on where they're made at, which most have codes and initials for their factories location. By the time we're dead, probably the few tools thats still made in America will also be foreign made. Who knows...It sucks.
Agree. It's hard to know what to buy anymore.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#36 Nov 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Heck, I just read that a lot of Kobalt hand tools are made in Taiwan & China, who were previously affiliated with Snap-on. Next time I need some more tools, I'm going to farm sales and swap meets. Maybe I can find some tools that are made to work for you and not against you.

“Bee Hive Jive”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#37 Nov 25, 2013
<quoted text>
What about "Snap On Tools?
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

#38 Nov 25, 2013
BizzyBee wrote:
<quoted text>
Some are usa but there is plenty made in china. About anything not off the truck but sold.at Cosco or Sam's club is chink shit with the snap on name. Kobalt a lowes name is supposedly relabled Williams tools but Williams is still us made and Kobalt wrenches screw.drivers etc are china. Banco used to be Sandvik which was Sweden and German made top grade files and cutting tools and a few pliers. Now that they are in with Snap on it is about.50 50 as to chinky crap or.quality.

I sonetimes buy harbor freight wrenches if I am leaving them at a well or cutting them and making them custom shaped. But I am not paying snap on, Mac, Matco tool truck prices either.

What pisses me off is when companies like.cresent and Irwin ( visegrip) have things made in china and don't reduce the price.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#39 Nov 25, 2013
BizzyBee wrote:
<quoted text>

Slant & Slope owned.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#40 Nov 25, 2013
Since 2003, Kobalt hand tools have largely been made by the Danaher Corporation.[3][4] Previously made in the USA, initially by Snap-on's JH Williams brand, Kobalt sockets and wrenches are now made in Taiwan, while pliers and other tools are made in China.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Jerry K 31,128
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr Pale Rider 3,345
Trees nut fruit shade and timber 2 hr They cannot kill ... 1
Hey pale rider 2 hr They cannot kill ... 34
Pet and animal reports 3 hr They cannot kill ... 37
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 4 hr JBS 2,435
The Michael Brown Case 4 hr They cannot kill ... 65
•••
•••
•••