FDA sheds light on sunscreens | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 27 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 15, 2011, titled FDA sheds light on sunscreens | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Jennifer Travis of Newark applies sunscreen liberally to her daughter Falon Johns, 2, for a day at the beach at Alum Creek State Park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jesse _EngAmer

New York, NY

#22 Jun 15, 2011
All these articles seem to celebrate the FDA's new regulatory policies, however we should all be aware that the FDA has been trying to create new sunscreen regulations since 1978.
Even worse the new regulations are part of the rejected 2007 Sunscreen Saftey Regulations Draft that implicitly states that the “FDA is not aware of data demonstrating that sunscreen use alone helps prevent skin cancer”(FDA 2007).
http://breakingnews.ewg.org/2011sunscreen/sun...
So before we applaud the FDA for the good their regulations will bring, let’s not forget the FDA’s system is fundamentally flawed and its over-regulatatory stance leads to massive delays in critical solutions. This is just another example in a long list of long overdue polices in the FDA's history caused by over-regulation. It's your tax dollars that fund the FDA, don't you think it should be put to better use?
FDA insufficient

Columbus, OH

#23 Jun 15, 2011
I'm not really sure these new FDA regulations are going to be very helpful. The website www.EWG.org rates sunscreens so you can choose a safe one. You're more likely to get cancer from all of the toxic ingredients in most sunscreens than you are from the sun. Sun is good for you. You just have to make sure not to spend long stretches of time out there. Take a break every 1/2 hour or so inside or in the shade. You need Vitamin D, and most of us, especially in the North, don't get enough. Sunscreen blocks absorption of Vit D, so be selective about when and what kind you use.
eric

Mansfield, OH

#24 Jun 15, 2011
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
The sun is not the same today as it was 1000 years ago or even 30 years ago. As a kid I could run around all day and never get burnt. Today, I get burnt in no less than 30 minutes of direct sun exposure. We also know a lot more about the damaging effects of the sun today than we knew back then. Perhaps you might want to get an education about such effects before casting judgement on the contents of the article...
The sun has not changed in 30 years. The sun does more good than harm. It provides vitamin d for the body.
Neal
#25 Sep 23, 2013
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.
brits are pants

Reynoldsburg, OH

#26 Sep 23, 2013
Neal wrote:
I have ordered 2 times from this website PILLSMEDSHOP. COM . I called yesterday the customer care and asked for a discount as i was about to order twice the regular amount.
nobody cares, uk.

have you been to the dentist in the 21st century?

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#27 Sep 23, 2013
Shannon wrote:
<quoted text>
We got sun cancer and died.
Not quite millennia ago for me , but your tongue in cheek response is pretty accurate. When my brother and I were kids, we practically lived outdoors. I am paying for it now, having had several skin cancers removed in the last 4-5 years.
Kameron

Czech Republic

#28 Sep 23, 2013

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Heroin catches on in suburbia | The Columbus Di... (Jan '10) 15 min felinewarrior 23
Black Crime is out of control. 19 min BizzyBee 47
BIZZY'S TRIADE! ……..OH Boy! 31 min Pope Che Reagan C... 30
Pentagon hunts for Isis 37 min Pope Che Reagan C... 42
News One of three baby tigers at Columbus Zoo dies o... 51 min BizzyBee 6
Worst President in History 1 hr Duke for Mayor 137
Clinton's Benghazi emails!! 4 hr Concerned Citizen 5
Affordable Care Act 6 hr Ecossais 166
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]