FDA sheds light on sunscreens | The C...

FDA sheds light on sunscreens | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 27 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jun 15, 2011, titled FDA sheds light on sunscreens | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Jennifer Travis of Newark applies sunscreen liberally to her daughter Falon Johns, 2, for a day at the beach at Alum Creek State Park.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

#1 Jun 15, 2011
Wait, isn't this big government intruding into our lives?? I mean won't the free market decide and sort out the lies?? Now a business must have truth behind their advertising-what's the world coming to??

Good for the FDA-long over due.
Geebus

Columbus, OH

#2 Jun 15, 2011
Columbus resident Maryse Dawson and friend Lisa Halley of Pickaway County were at Columbus Commons yesterday with their children. All were wearing sunscreen.

Dawson said she was happy to learn the FDA was making changes.

"It's important that people know what they're getting," she said.
----------

Thanks for tacking that on to the story. I wouldn't have understood any of the article without knowing what 2 random people had to say.
SuLee

Marengo, OH

#3 Jun 15, 2011
DrC Ohio wrote:
Wait, isn't this big government intruding into our lives?? I mean won't the free market decide and sort out the lies?? Now a business must have truth behind their advertising-what's the world coming to??
Good for the FDA-long over due.
Geez, I wonder where all the Republican "Nanny-Staters" are this fine, sunshiny morning?(Applying their sunscreen no doubt.)
moet

Delhi, India

#4 Jun 15, 2011
Why does the gOVT THINK THE PEOPLE ARE STUPID?
Wowza

Lancaster, OH

#5 Jun 15, 2011
moet wrote:
Because here in the US, they lack common sense and can be stupid.
Reality Check

Columbus, OH

#6 Jun 15, 2011
Of course the mother and daughter's last names are different.
Liz

Marysville, OH

#7 Jun 15, 2011
moet wrote:
People are not stupid. The manufacturers purposely mislead consumers.
Liz

Marysville, OH

#8 Jun 15, 2011
For safe options see:http://breakingnews.ewg.or g/2011sunscreen/best-sunscreen s/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/
moet

Delhi, India

#9 Jun 15, 2011
moet wrote:
Not to mention that there is probably a Czar and a whole bunch of team looking in to this. Nice tax payers money going to tell the people that they should trust the all knowing govt.
Scott

Columbus, OH

#11 Jun 15, 2011
moet wrote:
Because they were dumb enough to elect Obama!
Liz

Marysville, OH

#12 Jun 15, 2011
Ones to avoid according to the Environmental Working Group:

Aveeno Active Naturals Hydrosport Sunblock Spray, SPF 85

Banana Boat Kids UltraMist Sunscreen, SPF 110

Banana Boat Sport Performance Active Max Protect Continuous Spray Sunscreen, SPF 110

CVSExtreme Sport Clear Mist Sunscreen, SPF 70+

Neutrogena Fresh Cooling Sunblock Lotion, Body Mist, SPF 70

For the full list, visit the EWG’s website.http://www.huffingtonp ost.com/2011/06/13/environment al-working-group-sunscreen-rep ort_n_873117.html
Liz

Marysville, OH

#13 Jun 15, 2011
Mel

Columbus, OH

#14 Jun 15, 2011
Reality Check wrote:
Of course the mother and daughter's last names are different.
And now for an an off topic response: I am happily married but did not change my name. We have our first child on the way, and the baby will have my husband's last name. Care to be a little more judgmental?
Plunderbund

Columbus, OH

#15 Jun 15, 2011
moet wrote:
Why do you think everyone has chemistry labs at home - and the chemistry background - necessary to evaluate the claims of advertisers?
what_huh

Columbus, OH

#16 Jun 15, 2011
thank god for the nanny state! what ever would we do without them to protect us from the SUN!? What did humans ever do without sunscreen regulation millenia ago?!
Shannon

Hilliard, OH

#17 Jun 15, 2011
what_huh wrote:
thank god for the nanny state! what ever would we do without them to protect us from the SUN!? What did humans ever do without sunscreen regulation millenia ago?!
We got sun cancer and died.
Whatever

Columbus, OH

#18 Jun 15, 2011
what_huh wrote:
The sun is not the same today as it was 1000 years ago or even 30 years ago. As a kid I could run around all day and never get burnt. Today, I get burnt in no less than 30 minutes of direct sun exposure. We also know a lot more about the damaging effects of the sun today than we knew back then. Perhaps you might want to get an education about such effects before casting judgement on the contents of the article...
Reality Check

Columbus, OH

#19 Jun 15, 2011
Mel wrote:
<quoted text>
And now for an an off topic response: I am happily married but did not change my name. We have our first child on the way, and the baby will have my husband's last name. Care to be a little more judgmental?
Sure, the fact they are from Newark makes it even less surprising. Different last names AND from Newark? Yeah, we all know where this is heading...
Plunderbund

Columbus, OH

#20 Jun 15, 2011
what_huh wrote:
What? The "nanny state" isn't dictating the purchase of sunscreen; they are only requiring that manufacturers truthfully advertise what their product does, so that individuals who choose to consume said product can make an informed decision on where to spend their money.

You people are crazy.

For the record, I never wear sunscreen. I avoid overexposure the caveman way - get in the shade.
Mark

Newark, OH

#21 Jun 15, 2011
The FDA in action - a documentary:

http://www.vimeo.com/24821365

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
douglas baisden 16 min dogman 1
California rejects John Wayne Day due to commen... 1 hr UTrashy 87
News Free lunches in Columbus schools unwittingly se... 1 hr Pam 34
News Man found dead at Salt Fork State Park | The Co... (Jun '11) 2 hr Laughing Out Loud 18
News Residents on alert with mass shooting suspect a... 3 hr Mary 166
News Eddie Rickenbacker's home sits idle despite flu... 3 hr CONTRARIAN 1
935000 signatures to boycott Target 6 hr Sapphic1 104
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages