Honda expansion at Russells Point pla...

Honda expansion at Russells Point plant to mean 100 new jobs | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 77 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Oct 14, 2010, titled Honda expansion at Russells Point plant to mean 100 new jobs | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The Honda plant at Russells Point. Honda plans to expand its Russells Point transmission plant, adding 100 jobs and 200,000 square feet of factory space, the company said this afternoon.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
JWT

Columbus, OH

#1 Oct 14, 2010
This must be happening because Ted Strickland is a job killer. I'm sure the Kasich backers on here will scream "too little, too late"...as though Kasich is going to get in office and then announce the opening of a factory that will employ 390,000 people. Little by little is how we get Ohio back on the right track, and this is a positive step in the right direction. This, with news of the solar jobs that will be created near Zanesville, and the news that state income tax receipts are coming in above estimates, are signs that Ohio is digging itself out from the recession. This is not the time to throw caution to the wind and roll the dice on crazy John Kasich.
CommonSenseOH

Hilliard, OH

#3 Oct 14, 2010
I guess that brings Strickland's losses to 399,900 jobs. Way to go Teddy!
JustWondering

United States

#4 Oct 14, 2010
How could these jobs be added without the auto industry bailout money propping them up?! Oh, that's right, they make high quality cars without the unions sucking the life out of them.

Go Honda! You're the best American auto company out there.
brian

Bowling Green, OH

#5 Oct 14, 2010
Honda= non union and still growing and prospering.
dirkdiggler

Chillicothe, OH

#6 Oct 14, 2010
CommonSenseOH wrote:
I guess that brings Strickland's losses to 399,900 jobs. Way to go Teddy!
Sometimes I think people would die if they didn't something negative to say.
GeeWizzer

Westerville, OH

#7 Oct 14, 2010
Honda has been subsidized by the Japanese government ever since they started. They just got 5 billion in a GIFT, not a loan from the Japanese government to finance cars in the USA. They do build a great car and I even worked at the Marysville auto plant for a couple years. But it is not at all a level playing field. Plus the only jobs they provide are assembly. All the engineering and white collar jobs still ONLY go to the Japanese.
Milhouse

Columbus, OH

#8 Oct 14, 2010
Since Kasich is blaming Strickland for all the job losses, do you think he'll also give Strickland credit for adding these 100 jobs?
BlueDusky

United States

#9 Oct 14, 2010
JWT wrote:
This must be happening because Ted Strickland is a job killer. I'm sure the Kasich backers on here will scream "too little, too late"...as though Kasich is going to get in office and then announce the opening of a factory that will employ 390,000 people. Little by little is how we get Ohio back on the right track, and this is a positive step in the right direction. This, with news of the solar jobs that will be created near Zanesville, and the news that state income tax receipts are coming in above estimates, are signs that Ohio is digging itself out from the recession. This is not the time to throw caution to the wind and roll the dice on crazy John Kasich.
You forgot to mention the 1,000 jobs created when thhe windmills are built in Van wert county to supply renewably energy to AEP under The Bamsters new green technology guidelines for mandatory use of renewable energy supplies. Also, 1,000 jobs added to Younstown to suplly pipe to the new shale natural gas drilling in PA and Eastern OH. But that is offset by the 100,000 lost this year and the $8bb deficit. How can you be really saying he didn't screw this up badly. Where do all those other jobs go?
TNBuckeye

Murfreesboro, TN

#10 Oct 14, 2010
This expansion is a sign that the downturn has eased enough for at least one automaker to return to a growth mode.

If anyone thinks that The Dispatch is a left leaning paper, this quote says it all. Last I checked Ford and GM have been expanding for some time. That would make "at least three"
Tea Party

Columbus, OH

#11 Oct 14, 2010
GeeWizzer wrote:
Honda has been subsidized by the Japanese government ever since they started. They just got 5 billion in a GIFT, not a loan from the Japanese government to finance cars in the USA. They do build a great car and I even worked at the Marysville auto plant for a couple years. But it is not at all a level playing field. Plus the only jobs they provide are assembly. All the engineering and white collar jobs still ONLY go to the Japanese.
Plus they have a national healthcare plan, Honda's contribution to their employees' benefit: zero dollar.
Tea Party

Columbus, OH

#12 Oct 14, 2010
Milhouse wrote:
Since Kasich is blaming Strickland for all the job losses, do you think he'll also give Strickland credit for adding these 100 jobs?
Heck no, that Kasich SOB would have outsourced that 100 jobs to Mexico or China already.

Since: Oct 10

Columbus, OH

#13 Oct 14, 2010
GeeWizzer wrote:
All the engineering and white collar jobs still ONLY go to the Japanese.
That would come as big news to my neighbor directly across my street. He's white, American, late 30s, born and raised in Louisville, KY. He's an engineer at the Marysville plant.

Columbus, OH

#14 Oct 14, 2010
Tea Party wrote:
<quoted text>
Plus they have a national healthcare plan, Honda's contribution to their employees' benefit: zero dollar.
Don't you people realize that health care in Japan, Canada, the UK and all other "universal care" nations isn't free? They payer higher taxes to fund it. And it has serious repercussions on what tax dollars don't go to, but need to be spent (roads in most of rural Canada are approaching the US standards we had in 1970.)

Columbus, OH

#15 Oct 14, 2010
TNBuckeye wrote:
This expansion is a sign that the downturn has eased enough for at least one automaker to return to a growth mode.
If anyone thinks that The Dispatch is a left leaning paper, this quote says it all. Last I checked Ford and GM have been expanding for some time. That would make "at least three"
GM has been doing it with public money. I wish they and Chrysler would just fold.
Greg

Columbus, OH

#16 Oct 14, 2010
To those that ask, yes, Governor Strickland should get credit for the expansion at the Russells Point plant that is leading to 100 jobs. Just like he should also be held partially responsible for the job losses the state has experienced during his tenure as Governor.

Ohio unemployment rate Jan. 2007: 6.2%
Ohio unemployment rate Aug. 2010: 10.1%
TNBuckeye

Murfreesboro, TN

#17 Oct 14, 2010
dave chappelle wrote:
<quoted text>GM has been doing it with public money. I wish they and Chrysler would just fold.
They are operating at a profit. They are scheduled to pay back the money. There would have been millions of people out of work if both of those companies failed. Too much of the US economy is tied to automotive. Be careful for what you wish.
JWT

Columbus, OH

#18 Oct 14, 2010
BlueDusky wrote:
<quoted text>
You forgot to mention the 1,000 jobs created when thhe windmills are built in Van wert county to supply renewably energy to AEP under The Bamsters new green technology guidelines for mandatory use of renewable energy supplies. Also, 1,000 jobs added to Younstown to suplly pipe to the new shale natural gas drilling in PA and Eastern OH. But that is offset by the 100,000 lost this year and the $8bb deficit. How can you be really saying he didn't screw this up badly. Where do all those other jobs go?
Which of Strickland's policies caused jobs to leave Ohio? Was Ted Strickland governor for the past 4 years? Yes. Did Ohio lose over 350,000 jobs during that time? Yes. Did EVERY other state in the country lose jobs during that time? Yes. But, I fail to see the causal linkage here, unless you can point to something Ted did, or didn't do, that caused those job loses. Better yet, what would Kasich have done to keep jobs from leaving? I realize it's easy for Kasich to say that Ted was Governor, Ohio lost jobs, therefore it must be Ted's fault. But, Strickland didn't pass NAFTA. Strickland didn't make Ohio a state that had, for decades, relied upon manufacturing jobs, and therefore made it more susceptible than most states to massive job loses at a time when manufacturing jobs go where labor's cheap. Strickland didn't cause the national recession. If you want to vote for Kasich because you think he's a good guy, or because you think essential state services should be massively cut, then fine. But don't vote for him because you think he's going to bring all the jobs back to Ohio, or because you think Ted can't, because I think that ignores the reality of how the state's economy works and what influences it.
Thanks

Zanesville, OH

#19 Oct 14, 2010
Thanks Ted - You are getting the JOBS done. It is difficult to try to recover from the recession / depression created by the party of NO.

Ted - Getting the JOBS done - contrary to what the party of NO says.
JWT

Columbus, OH

#20 Oct 14, 2010
Greg wrote:
To those that ask, yes, Governor Strickland should get credit for the expansion at the Russells Point plant that is leading to 100 jobs. Just like he should also be held partially responsible for the job losses the state has experienced during his tenure as Governor.
Ohio unemployment rate Jan. 2007: 6.2%
Ohio unemployment rate Aug. 2010: 10.1%
Using your logic, since EVERY state in the country saw unemployment increse from 2007 to 2010, is it the Governor's fault in every single state? Should every state oust their governor this year, regardless of party? I have yet to hear anyone respond to this question.

If you want to talk statistics: Here is Ohio's rank, by state, for average annual unemployment from 2004 to 2009 (the most recent full year.)(Source, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.)

2004 - 42
2005 - 43
2006 - 45
2007 - 46
2008 - 42
2009 - 40

So, comparatively speaking, Ohio was getting worse in 2004, 2005 and 2006 and since 2007 Ohio has seen it's unemployment, relative to other states, improve. Does Strickland get credit for that?
What

Bellville, OH

#21 Oct 14, 2010
GeeWizzer wrote:
You worked there for a few years??????? Where did you work? There are a few Japanese in white collar positions, but the majority are U.S. people. Also go to the R&D center on SR 739 and count the number of non-Japanese engineers. I think you should check your facts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
who knows david marcum (Feb '09) 21 min not your business 18
Poll Who Do You Support For President 32 min d pants 302
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr d pants 6,424
Muslims beat woman for wearing bikini French ou... 1 hr d pants 71
FREE Schmidts, Flat Screens, and Event Tickets 1 hr FLOOR AND DECOR 1
FREE Industry Networking Event in Hilliard 1 hr Columbus Strong 4
Trump builds his political machine 1 hr Disclaimer 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages