Olentangy school bus involved in cras...

Olentangy school bus involved in crash | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 24 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 18, 2011, titled Olentangy school bus involved in crash | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

An Olentangy school bus has crashed into a ditch, coming to rest on its side, near Shanahan Middle School on Shanahan Road east of Rt.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
student at shanahan

Blacklick, OH

#1 May 18, 2011
I heard the crash when i was leaving to go home. When i heard the news over my drivers speakers. She was freaking out and everyone on the bus turned and looked back at the road. I made it out 2 buses in front of the one that crashed. Imeditaly i started calling everyone on my phone to make sure they were ok. Once i got home i checked the news and found out there were no injuries yet reported. I was so relived to know none of my friends were hurt. Surley i will never forget this bus ride.
Proud to be an American

Westerville, OH

#2 May 18, 2011
I wondered why I heard all the sirens; I hope no one was seriously injured.
Olentagy Dad

Dublin, OH

#3 May 18, 2011
My wife called me and told me she heard that there was a bus accident in Lewis Center and she was in a panic because my son was not home yet. After sending me in a panic she called a short time later and told me he had walked home today. I can not express the relief I am feeling. I am also relieved to hear that none of the kids were seriously injured. Thank you God!!!
Student at shanahan

Columbus, OH

#4 May 18, 2011
I saw this happen and freaked out! I was scared that one of my friends were on the bus, but later realized none were and everyone was okay. And my old bus was 100! How crazy is that?!
settle down

Columbus, OH

#5 May 18, 2011
Lighten up people.
familyfirst

Marysville, OH

#6 May 18, 2011
Thank God the kids are alright. every parents worries about things like this happening. I'm not saying it's the bus drivers fault at all, but I have been told by my daughter before she was home schooled that her school bus was always rowdy and the bus driver did not have the kids under control, and these bus drivers also jam their music up loud. Not a very safe environment.
Hmmmm

Columbus, OH

#7 May 18, 2011
familyfirst wrote:
Thank God the kids are alright. every parents worries about things like this happening. I'm not saying it's the bus drivers fault at all, but I have been told by my daughter before she was home schooled that her school bus was always rowdy and the bus driver did not have the kids under control, and these bus drivers also jam their music up loud. Not a very safe environment.
Thank God you now home school your child. You can now protect her from all of those crazies on the bus. Sarcasm Level: HIGH
wEsSiE Res

United States

#8 May 18, 2011
Lets see, 60+ kids on a bus, 1 bus driver who has to drive the bus. Do you really think any bus driver has total control over all of the kids while trying to drive at the same time? Have you been on a school bus while your kid was on it? I bet she was the only one sitting quietly with her hands folded on her lap. Good thing you home school her now. She doesnt have to ride on a rowdy bus, sit in a crazy noisy cafeteria, sit in a classroom all day with kids talking and the best part is she doesnt have to interact with kids her own age! I bet she is just precious and the most well mannered child ever for being taken out of those situations! The kids are safe and that is what is important!
Just Saying

Columbus, OH

#9 May 18, 2011
Thankful everyone is alright. Things could have been a lot worse.

@Familyfirst You are one of the few that get to stay home with your children and home school them. Unfortunately a lot of families have to have both parents working in order to survive. Unlike you most of us have to sacrifice when both parents are working.

Just remember your comments the next time you take your children in the car with you. Accidents happen anywhere not just school buses.
Shanahan student

Pickerington, OH

#10 May 18, 2011
I was on the bus right in front of the crash. I freaked out just like everyone else on my bus. I think the cars swervered because my bus was in the middle of the road and i had a sub bus driver.
from Delaware

Delaware, OH

#11 May 18, 2011
Shanahan student wrote:
I was on the bus right in front of the crash. I freaked out just like everyone else on my bus. I think the cars swervered because my bus was in the middle of the road and i had a sub bus driver.
Please don't blame the poor substitute bus driver. Your bus was obviously not directly involved in the crash. A driver rear-ended another. Basic traffic law says that, in the absence of extreme circumstance, the one who fails to hit the brakes in time is the one who gets the ticket.
Terri

Lewis Center, OH

#12 May 18, 2011
The bus driver should be congratulated for keeping the kids safe and unharmed.
Crock of crap

Wellston, OH

#13 May 18, 2011
Glad no students were hurt. Good thing the bus DEFIED the law of gravity! It was close to overturning. This could have been worse..........
Just Listening

United States

#14 May 18, 2011
Must be a Union driver.
Just Listening

United States

#15 May 18, 2011
Must have been a Union driver.
bus driver

Grafton, OH

#18 May 19, 2011
i am driver of that bus n my kids on bus were great they did what they were taught. after bus stopped i advised them to move to.left side of bus n stay calm. They did just that. yes we talk on bus yes we listen to music n yes my kids are great. I love them all. I am thankfull that even the person that caused the accident is ok. a bus with 60 plus kids is gonna be noisy.
bus driver

Grafton, OH

#19 May 19, 2011
Terri wrote:
The bus driver should be congratulated for keeping the kids safe and unharmed.
i am the driver n thank you I love the kids i drive everyday and feel very blessed ALL is safe.
Just Saying

Columbus, OH

#20 May 20, 2011
bus driver wrote:
<quoted text>
i am the driver n thank you I love the kids i drive everyday and feel very blessed ALL is safe.
I want to thank you as well. Even though I had no kids on your bus that day ... I am just as happy to hear that everyone was safe.
God Bless!
dUH

Powell, OH

#21 May 20, 2011
How was the driver charged with ACDA (which means he hit the bus from behind) when the article says the driver crossed the yellow line? Makes no sense.
Proud SBD

Sunbury, OH

#22 May 20, 2011
You Know It!!!!...Proud 2b a Union Worker!!!...lets see you keep that many kids under control in a situation like that, and be able to tell them to go the the other side of the bus to keep it from tipping all the way over...jerk!...get a life!!!
Just Listening wrote:
Must be a Union driver.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama rated 5th best POTUS in history! 2 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 98
updated list of firsts for forty-fore 3 hr server wiper downer 3
Absolutely Worthless RINO Republicans 5 hr Disapointed Conse... 1
Arby's ground zero in war on cops 6 hr Spit on a cops bu... 14
Extra. Extra. Read all about it! 6 hr Spot for Guvnah 4
Robert Krutko's new nickname, TURDKO CRAPKO OR ... 8 hr Krutkoneighbor 39
Carolyn Bruck, channel 6 (Jan '12) 9 hr Russ N 374
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages