|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

Judged:

My dad
To: the rank and file

just saying,

I’m from a union family. My dad is especially proud of his union, never missing a picket line or a chance to talk about the benefits of his membership. Unions are the reason my family counts ourselves in the middle class.

But it didn’t start out that way. My dad came to this country from Mexico as a bracero, or a temporary worker without papers. He started working in his teens, seven days a week, picking cotton, strawberries and grapes in 100-degree California heat. He told me stories of being sprayed with chemicals and pesticides in the fields without any protection. When he went to sleep at night, it was in a rundown shack that passed for “migrant housing.” All while living in fear that at any moment, he could be arrested and deported, simply for working for a living.

My father always spoke about one particular immigration officer who marched him and his friends up to the boss’s house before deporting them and told the farmer,“I’m taking these guys, but not until you pay them the wages they worked for.” My father said the farmer hemmed and hawed—but they got their wages that day. I want an immigration process in our country that doesn’t exploit workers like my father.

As Washington debates the immigration bill, I’m standing up to tell Congress I support a commonsense immigration process. Will you join me?

When my mom and dad became union members, it changed our family’s life. My brother and I had our first doctor’s appointments ever because of our union health insurance. My parents have a dignified but modest retirement through their union pensions. They bought their own house, paid their taxes, voted in every election, and sent my brother and me to college because of their union jobs.

We were raised with working family values, which included the strong support of unions—of which my dad was a stalwart member.

My father would sing the praises of his union to anyone who would listen. He told them their labor would be rewarded and, most importantly, they would have rights on the job and would not be afraid to speak up like he was as a new American worker. I saw how the labor movement gave my family a ticket into the middle class and I believe EVERY family deserves the same opportunity.

That opportunity starts with passing a commonsense immigration bill. But they’ll never pass the bill if they don’t hear from us.

Will you stand with me?

go.aflcio.org/lisa

In Solidarity,

Lisa
---
Lisa Maldonado
Executive Director, North Bay Labor Council, California Labor Federation
VADoc

Aiken, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 16, 2013

Judged:

All ill gotten gains from illegal behavior.

It would be like the child of meth cooker or drug dealer saying "but it put me through school".

No on any amnesty.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

39 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
When will Obama be Arrested???? 24 min Zombie Corpse Rental 31
Where is Catman Dave and BizzyBee 40 min d pantz 89
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 42 min xxxrayted 28,468
President Obama violated Constitution in 2012 54 min Male 98
Is Barak Obama responsible for the current bord... 54 min d pantz 65
Do you agree with Obama spending $260/day on il... 1 hr Oliver Canterberry 2
Michelle Obama f/k/a Michael LaVaughn Robinson 1 hr Enwordo 3
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••