South Side Settlement House to close doors on Friday | The Columbus Dispatch

The South Side Settlement House is out of money and will suspend operations on Friday, officials said today. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
JimR

Columbus, OH

#1 Jun 23, 2011
That is sad. Has anyone seen the numbers as to how much they would need to continue?
columbus

Columbus, OH

#2 Jun 23, 2011
But the CITY can afford to place granite crubs and brick streets downtown?
What about the people that need help?
the hilt

Dublin, OH

#3 Jun 23, 2011
what a shame
Middle Wing

Columbus, OH

#4 Jun 23, 2011
but hey, Ohio's wealthy will get huge tax breaks.
FarmerTed

Piketon, OH

#5 Jun 23, 2011
According to the Republicans it is charities like these that will pick up the clients when public dollars are cut to social services ... how's that working out good decent people?
SAD DAY IN OHIO

Columbus, OH

#6 Jun 23, 2011
Middle Wing wrote:
but hey, Ohio's wealthy will get huge tax breaks.
You are an idiot! Perhaps if you would get off your lazy rear and make something of yourself then you would have less time to play class warfare!

Since: Jun 11

Hilliard, OH

#7 Jun 23, 2011
This really is sad. I do not believe in handing out money to lazy people, but I think it is important to have programs in place for people who simply need help to get back on their feet. It is rather heartbreaking when good services can't go on.....
Nancy

Columbus, OH

#8 Jun 23, 2011
I only wish that some other organization could fold the Settlement House into its operation. Would it be a candidate for a YM/YWCA affiliation?
Chazdc1

Columbus, OH

#9 Jun 23, 2011
columbus wrote:
But the CITY can afford to place granite crubs and brick streets downtown?
What about the people that need help?
They don't donate to anyones campaign fund. Therefore, they don't matter.
brenda h

Reynoldsburg, OH

#10 Jun 23, 2011
maybe, united way can help. or maybe the mayor will step in. or, just maybe they can ask for donations from the people of columbus and surrounding areas for help.
reality speaks

Columbus, OH

#11 Jun 23, 2011
FarmerTed wrote:
According to the Republicans it is charities like these that will pick up the clients when public dollars are cut to social services ... how's that working out good decent people?
has not started yet

where is the current funding

we spend more money on 1 missle in Lybia, than the worth of anything in the country above ground

shelter money....we have none?

Since: Mar 11

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 23, 2011
http://southsidesettlementhouse.org/donate

If anyone would like to help...
Wicked Wanda

Westerville, OH

#13 Jun 23, 2011
SAD DAY IN OHIO wrote:
<quoted text>
You are an idiot! Perhaps if you would get off your lazy rear and make something of yourself then you would have less time to play class warfare!
The legislation that the Republican Party unilaterally passed to give enormous tax breaks to the wealthy is class warfare, not someone that is observant enough to take notice of what is really going on.

Since: Mar 11

Columbus, OH

#14 Jun 23, 2011
Not to make light of the situation, but I see on their website they offer free showers to the homeless... I think we can ALL agree that this is a vital service.

Since: Jun 11

Hilliard, OH

#15 Jun 23, 2011
Nancy wrote:
I only wish that some other organization could fold the Settlement House into its operation. Would it be a candidate for a YM/YWCA affiliation?
Not a bad idea - but unfortunately, I think donations are down across the board because of the recession.
Hayduke

Columbus, OH

#16 Jun 23, 2011
Move it out out on E. Long St and the City will find money to keep it open. They could use some of the condo money
columbus reader

Columbus, OH

#17 Jun 23, 2011
Sad, sad, sad, sad reflection of what's going on these days.
Martin

Franklin Lakes, NJ

#18 Jun 23, 2011
This is truly sad...112 years of service and they have to close...this is such a critical time for the South Side. As a South Sider, it is sad to see us continue to lose vital services and be the dumping ground for the rest of the city's "trash". By the way, the funding to put in beautification projects does not come from the same funds used for services like this. Do some research before you make such stupid and uninformed comments.
reality speaks

Columbus, OH

#19 Jun 23, 2011
Martin wrote:
This is truly sad...112 years of service and they have to close...this is such a critical time for the South Side. As a South Sider, it is sad to see us continue to lose vital services and be the dumping ground for the rest of the city's "trash". By the way, the funding to put in beautification projects does not come from the same funds used for services like this. Do some research before you make such stupid and uninformed comments.
was not a stupid comment.

the treasury takes in X a year; and makes choices on expenditures.

granite sidewalks, or cement

our govt buildings are the nicest in the city

why not take care of society first, then fix sidewalks with cement
dkinohio

Columbus, OH

#20 Jun 23, 2011
well, where is the big corporate money when it's needed (most)? Come on big businesses, provide some funding for this south-side facility so its legacy and determination and its benefits to needy people can continue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
COPS lives MATTER 3 min Neutral Party 202
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 7 min d pantz 4,941
Cincinnati White Castle closes amid purge of Oh... 10 min They cannot kill ... 1
Eric Garner died over cigarette tax enforcement. 14 min Neutral Party 93
Where has Rowdy been? 1 hr They cannot kill ... 4
Spears from South Side 2 hr Latrina Waters 9
Michelle on Barack: Hes in the bathroom all t... (Nov '13) 3 hr Morning Joe 13
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:07 pm PST

NFL12:07PM
Browns' Gilbert on ugly rookie season: 'I messed up'
ESPN12:37 PM
Shaw gets start for Browns; Hoyer ruled out
ESPN 1:15 PM
Browns' Gilbert: 'I brought it upon myself'
NBC Sports 4:00 PM
Justin Gilbert vows to be great after work ethic is questioned
Bleacher Report11:44 PM
Denver Broncos: Why the Run Defense Isn't a Concern