Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & S...

Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

There are 2786 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

GMR

Phoenix, AZ

#884 Oct 7, 2007
bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be one of several problems, namely No fuel, Ignition coil, ignition control module, crankshaft position sensor, PCM unit or other sensors. You have checked for fuel so that probably points to an elect problem. Disconnect a spark plug wire and hold it close to a ground for a spark when cranking the engine. If no spark then it may be one of the units mentioned above. Its a complicated process checking with a meter for signal voltages so you may have to take it to the dealer. My understanding there is a (secret) warranty on the Ignition coil (Engine cutting out) Ask about it.
The ignition power can be lethal ! Suggest you clamp a spare plug to a good ground and transfer the ignition lead to it with the ignition off; then crank the engine while watching the plug's spark gap.
George

Carol Stream, IL

#885 Oct 7, 2007
Barb wrote:
I have a Chevy Malibu 2001 with 18,000 miles on it. Brand new battery put in it 3 months ago. My daughter went to start the car this morning - nothing - dead as a doornail! No blinking theft light on either. It was running fine until this morning. Tried the 10 minute thing but did not work. Any suggestions??
Had this problem as well. The door switches are faulty so the interior light stays on all the time. I keep the interior light turned to OFF and that way it does not come on at all.
Mike

Glen Ellyn, IL

#886 Oct 8, 2007
Has anyone else seen issues with a bad intake manifold gasket? My 2000 3.1L V6 was leaking so bad I would have to top off the coolant all the time. It cost me $500 to have it replaced. The mechanic said he sees it all the time. Also have the same problem with my hazard switch where the turn signals work intermittently and the fan speed selector doesn't work on speeds 1 and 2. It's a real shame to see a $20k car be worth less than $5k 7 years later. I don't think I'll be buying another GM anytime soon.
ryan

United States

#887 Oct 11, 2007
hey there. my 2003 malibu wont start when its cold outside. my check engine light is on and the code for that reads that its the catalytic converter. is there a connection between the cat. converter and it not starting in the winter?
good will

Bronx, NY

#888 Oct 11, 2007
Barbara wrote:
My 2002 Malibu has a turn signal oddity--I'm not sure the turn signal really is working (perhaps intermittantly it works) judging from the honking horns! Can anyone comment on this
call chevy 1800 #,there is a recall on that problem.look it up.alot of people has the the same problem
bill

Canada

#889 Oct 11, 2007
ryan wrote:
hey there. my 2003 malibu wont start when its cold outside. my check engine light is on and the code for that reads that its the catalytic converter. is there a connection between the cat. converter and it not starting in the winter?
Yes there is although it should happen all the time. Chances are you need a new sensor installed or at the worst a new catalytic converter
ben

Coraopolis, PA

#890 Oct 11, 2007
i had picked up sum 6.5speaker for another car but ended up getting rid of it is a 6.5 speaker usable for the 6x9 that my 2000 chevy malibu ls has
dennis

South Burlington, VT

#891 Oct 12, 2007
I have a 2003 chevy malibu, I purchased it used with 69,000 miles on it. I keep it well maintained and had no problems with it. You might cop out and decide to get a foreign car. But just stop to think. Is it cheap on parts, can i find a garage to work on it and does it have any horse power or bells and whistles. It pisses me off when people complain and then they say I am getting a foreign car. Well I tell you Mazda sucks because I always had trouble stopping, and it was new. I bought a new nissan sentra in Florida, left the windows down and the entire interior warped so stop whining and deal with it.
Martha

Watervliet, NY

#892 Oct 13, 2007
There is web site that shows all service bulletins at www.nhtsa.gov . Everyone should checkk it out and do some research.
dee

Round Rock, TX

#893 Oct 13, 2007
DAMN BEEPING wrote:
Hey Guys,
My car is goin nutzzzz. It started makein this beeping noise. It`s comin from my driver side front door speaker. I pulled every damn fuse out and it still beeps. I noticed my passenger side front door lock appears to be jammed. The only way i can get out my car is manually unlocking it from the inside or by pressing the keyless entry . Can someone please help me with this problem.
DID you get around BEEP noise problem ??
My 02 malibu is beeeping since last 2 hours...what to do
dee

Round Rock, TX

#894 Oct 13, 2007
dale

AOL

#895 Oct 14, 2007
Ihave a 2006 Malibu, and have to change rear shoes. Can anyone tell me how to change these
LISA

Atlanta, GA

#896 Oct 16, 2007
Jim wrote:
I have the same issue with my 2004 Malibu, the rear disc's are rusted and worn out. The fronts are in great shape.<quoted text>
2004 LT MALIBU WITH 30,000 MILES. I HAVE HAD THE ROTATERS FILLED DOWN AT 21,000 MILES AND KNOW I NEED BRAKE PADS. ALSO, I HAVE HAD MY CAR IN THE SHOP FOR THE STEERING POPPING FOUR TIMES KNOW...... DOES ANYONE HAVE THESE PROBLEMS??? LISA
marc

Strongsville, OH

#897 Oct 17, 2007
I had the beeping too (from the fuse box area?).
I found that my driver side door lock switch was stuck in the down position. Apparently I used it too many times and it decided to break. I pushed it back up to a neutral position and the beeping stopped. I need to get the switch replaced. Mechanic quoted me $45 part&labor.

Take a look at all of your door lock switches and try flipping them up and down a few times. I hope this helps.
dee wrote:
TRUTH07

Madisonville, KY

#898 Oct 18, 2007
i have a 98 malibuthat you have to keep having to add antifrezze to have had it to the garage 2times and had it pressure checked cannot find the problem they said there is no leaksthen why do i have to keep doing this has anyone ever had this problem
Erich

United States

#899 Oct 18, 2007
Hi,

I just had the intake manifold gasket on my 1998 malibu v6 replaced and now when the engine idles it has an uneven pulse to it. The engine is fine when the car is moving, but the idle feels unhealthy. Does anyone have a clue what this could be? Is there an engine check code that could correspond to this (because the check light is on)?

Thanks!~

Erich
Erich

United States

#900 Oct 18, 2007
Have you asked them to check the intake manifold gasket? THis is a common problem on this car ( I just had mine replaced last night in fact). I have a 98 v6, so that could be the issue, especially if they can't find the leak.
TRUTH07 wrote:
i have a 98 malibuthat you have to keep having to add antifrezze to have had it to the garage 2times and had it pressure checked cannot find the problem they said there is no leaksthen why do i have to keep doing this has anyone ever had this problem
Erich

United States

#901 Oct 18, 2007
Mike wrote:
Has anyone else seen issues with a bad intake manifold gasket? My 2000 3.1L V6 was leaking so bad I would have to top off the coolant all the time. It cost me $500 to have it replaced. The mechanic said he sees it all the time. Also have the same problem with my hazard switch where the turn signals work intermittently and the fan speed selector doesn't work on speeds 1 and 2. It's a real shame to see a $20k car be worth less than $5k 7 years later. I don't think I'll be buying another GM anytime soon.
Yes, the intake manifold gaskets on malibu's are known to go often. I believe there was an attempt at a class action lawsuit at one point because of them.

I have also had the problem with the fan on the low levels. It is most likely due to bad connectors in your control unit's circuitry. I haven't tried to fix it yet, but at one point i found an article online that gave instructions on how to perform a fix without having to replace the entire unit. UNfortunately I don't have that link anymore...but you might be able to find it if you do a google search.

Erich
Janiffer

Sunnyvale, CA

#902 Oct 18, 2007
my horn is not working and my cigarrette lighter niether i try checking the fuses but i cant find the one for the lighter and horn could anyone tell me where they are located it. i have a 2004 malibu
thanks
bill

Canada

#903 Oct 18, 2007
Erich wrote:
Hi,
I just had the intake manifold gasket on my 1998 malibu v6 replaced and now when the engine idles it has an uneven pulse to it. The engine is fine when the car is moving, but the idle feels unhealthy. Does anyone have a clue what this could be? Is there an engine check code that could correspond to this (because the check light is on)?
Thanks!~
Erich
Had a similar problem ---found a bad spark plug wire. Also check that all the hose clamps on the air intake are tight---- if they are loose air gets drawn in and throws the computer off.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Hillary Clinton coming to Columbus 4 hr dpx55 2
All our law makers have to concern them? 5 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 9
Cops are people too 5 hr They cannot kill ... 15
News Sherrod Brown wants federal funding for Columbu... 6 hr ICE 2
News Columbus schools to pay more for police officers 7 hr barry o baby 1
News Dead man 'wasn't no robber,' family says 7 hr community organizer 2
They're Shooting News Reporters On Live TV 7 hr Seriouslady 86
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages