Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & S...

Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

There are 2870 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

Roger

AOL

#744 Jul 24, 2007
Has you steering wheel locked at high RPM's? I have a 2006, when I slightly turned the steering wheel at acceleration, my steering wheel locks. When I let off of the gas, it turns without problems.
Jim wrote:
My steering unit failed early on in my 2004 Malibu and now it clunks when you turn, the dealer said GM knows its an issue but has no solutions. Does anyone's have the same issue with their Malibu?
Lisa

United States

#745 Jul 25, 2007
Roger wrote:
Has you steering wheel locked at high RPM's? I have a 2006, when I slightly turned the steering wheel at acceleration, my steering wheel locks. When I let off of the gas, it turns without problems.
<quoted text>
I had the same issue and took mine back to the dealer adn they replaced the whole steering column and only charged me a deductable since I was barely out of warranty
Lisa

United States

#746 Jul 25, 2007
Jon I wrote:
<quoted text> Yes, I had the same problem with the 2005 Malibu sedan. It was the steering shaft. It took GM over a year to get the part out. Also, I had the steering rack replaced at about 45,000 miles.
Jim wrote:
My steering unit failed early on in my 2004 Malibu and now it clunks when you turn, the dealer said GM knows its an issue but has no solutions. Does anyone's have the same issue with their Malibu?

I took mine to the dealer when the display said "Power Steering" after two tries they replaced my steering column and even though I was out of warranty they still covered it.
Jae

Detroit, MI

#747 Jul 26, 2007
My 05 Malibu CD player has been replaced 3 times due to scratching and sticking problems. The original player deposited an oily-like substance on all my CDs and was replaced by the dealer. I'm on my 2nd replacement CD player, and each one puts deep scratches in all CDs played in it. I just lost a good portion of brand new Pink Floyd CDs, one of which was very hard to find. Has anyone had this problem and gotten it resolved?
Traci

Oklahoma City, OK

#748 Jul 26, 2007
I have all these issues that I just read about on this site.
1. Horn honks whenever it wants.
2. Turn signal. Calling the dealer in the morning
2. Beeping coming from drivers side door, and don't know where it is coming from.
3. Brakes...geez the brakes.
4. and loud when steering wheel is turned sharply. Damn
Peter

Trenton, MI

#749 Jul 27, 2007
That lousy trunk latch does not release with
the remote again,or the door button release.
I had the latch replaced a few months ago -that
lasted for a couple of months,then the latch would not release for One Day...then the following day after I pressed harder on the remote it worked again --only for a couple of weeks;then it went out again for this last seven weeks.
When I first went to get it fixed they felt that it was an electrical problem But the
power was getting to the latch and the back lights were flashing(even pushing the door button releaseone could hear the release trying
to work. From what I have observed,it seems to me that perhaps that 'plastic liner/waterproofer' around the look that the latch locks onto is interfering with the mechanism that opens the trunk latch.
Hey! I was given a new remote when I had the latch replaced (they had the car from about
8AM to about 5PM-it was a busy busy day at
Rodgers Chevrolet,Woodhaven Michigan.
My other comment: each time one gets service
at the car dealer,a rating service questionaire
is sent. Yes,I was sent a questionaire and,I
temporarily set aside;a coulpe of weeks later,
I received a letter almost demanding that I
fill out and return that questionaire.Of course
the letter coinsided with the trunh latch again
finally not working...I wrote how things turned out and helpful the service personell
were.After that I mentioned that the trunk latch again no longer worked (I am lucky that
the car lets me into the trunk with the key,most of the time. That GM survey company
did not send me a follow-up letter feigning
concern over my continuing disappointment.
That's it!
vera

Brooklyn, NY

#750 Jul 27, 2007
I'm on my third set of brakes at 40,000 miles, noise in steering, nothing but a big hole to sink money into.

Since: Jul 07

Farmington

#751 Jul 27, 2007
are they good cars cause my boyfriend has one and i refuse to ride in it until i find out if its a good car
Matt

United States

#752 Jul 29, 2007
i have a 99 LS gold edition. i need some feed back on this one. first off, my fuel gague doesn't work. once it gets to about 1/2 full, it just drops to empty (which causes me to run out of gas cus i don't know how much i have). 2nd with my AC, 1-4 on the fan doesn't work. only 5 does. if anyone has had these same problems, tell me how you fixed them. e-mail me at [email protected]
GMR

Phoenix, AZ

#753 Jul 29, 2007
Matt wrote:
i have a 99 LS gold edition. i need some feed back on this one. first off, my fuel gague doesn't work. once it gets to about 1/2 full, it just drops to empty (which causes me to run out of gas cus i don't know how much i have). 2nd with my AC, 1-4 on the fan doesn't work. only 5 does. if anyone has had these same problems, tell me how you fixed them. e-mail me at [email protected]
Sounds like the gas gauge sender unit in the tank is shorting out at the bottom half; Fix 1 is to replace it; Mucho Dinero for labour! Try Injector cleaner first over one or two tanks of gas; this cleaned mine and fully restored it.
The fan speed control is standard Malibu fault; i'm on my 4th. Only way to fix is to replace the Resistor Pack located just above front passengers feet in the heater air duct.
Mary Margaret

United States

#754 Jul 31, 2007
I have a 2003 auto Malibu and would like to tow it with my motorhome. The Manual say it can be towed. Is anyone towing one? And if so are there any problems?
Dan

Parlin, NJ

#755 Jul 31, 2007
WOW!! I just spent two evenings reading all 38 pages of this blog- what an insite. I guess by now you realize that I too own a Chevy Malibu, 2005 LT. It's really a nice car, but the problems you people write about are incredible!
Speaking of problems, her's what I have:
Had the steering problem the first day I picked up the car. Dealer felt it might need some break-in so asked me to drive it a while; I did 'till I read about some womans vehicle's steering locking -up and causing her to crash.
Car went to dealer, they replaced steering column, said fixed-wasn't. They got another column and it was worse than the first. finally they got it right. Then the right front seat back panel kept popping off. First ordered wrong panel retainer plastic clips, then a modified version, that worked. Next the trunk hindge bumpers keep popping out at me as I open the trunk lid, one to the arm and the other below the belt! OUCH. I've had the clunking noise on truns and they seem to have got that right the first time (One for me).I also have had the guages drop oput a couple of times but the more common is the turn signal that does not indicate on the dash panel display. I've had it look at to see if the lamps are working and thay are. So far no brake problems..........ALLELUIA

Since: May 07

AOL

#756 Aug 2, 2007
mike wrote:
2004 Malibu MAxx LT, 34,000 miles had to replace all rotors. Shop said it was if I parked in a lake. Said GM put poor quality materials into the original parts.
Yah I know the feeling on the rotors. I had my car in the shop for the same thing about every other month. I had them turned once already and is in need of them being turned or replaced and its only been about 2 months since I had them turned. GM needs to replace these parts for the people who are having this much trouble. They have the money to do so.. but refuse to help, if this is how they are going to be then im going to sell my MAXX and buy a FORD...

AOL

#757 Aug 2, 2007
cpknscw9288 wrote:
are they good cars cause my boyfriend has one and i refuse to ride in it until i find out if its a good car
CAR SUCKS... I have had nothing but problems with the car since I bought it about a year ago. I really dont feel safe with my kids it the car. Tire problems, break problems, stearing problems, loss of AC you name it it went wrong with the car. NEVER EVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A CHEVY

AOL

#758 Aug 2, 2007
This is something new with my Malibu Maxx. I put the car in drive shut it off then when I turn it back on after awhile and put it in reverse it makes a noise like my car door is open (a beeping noise) then all my dash lights come on (break light, ABS light, engine light and others) and stay on till I shut the car off. Anyone ever had this happen? It dont do it all the time but man is it annoying.
Ann Marie

Watertown, MA

#759 Aug 2, 2007
I, too, have had many problems with my 2004 Malibu. Biggest current problem is the trunk. Trunk stopped letting me use the key about a year ago and now the trunk popper has stopped working. I tried to go through the back seat to get in the trunk and it is somehow bolted closed. I looked in the manual and it says that you need to release a latch in the trunk to get in through the seat. How stupid is that? I tried a locksmith and they said they can not do anything, local Chevy dealer actually said, "What do you expect us to do?" OPEN MY TRUNK! Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the trunk open or how to get the back seat open? I had my brother try using a crowbar and no dice. Thanks in advance.
Barb

Woburn, MA

#760 Aug 2, 2007
I have a Chevy Malibu 2001 with 18,000 miles on it. Brand new battery put in it 3 months ago. My daughter went to start the car this morning - nothing - dead as a doornail! No blinking theft light on either. It was running fine until this morning. Tried the 10 minute thing but did not work. Any suggestions??
GMR

Phoenix, AZ

#761 Aug 2, 2007
Ann Marie wrote:
I, too, have had many problems with my 2004 Malibu. Biggest current problem is the trunk. Trunk stopped letting me use the key about a year ago and now the trunk popper has stopped working. I tried to go through the back seat to get in the trunk and it is somehow bolted closed. I looked in the manual and it says that you need to release a latch in the trunk to get in through the seat. How stupid is that? I tried a locksmith and they said they can not do anything, local Chevy dealer actually said, "What do you expect us to do?" OPEN MY TRUNK! Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the trunk open or how to get the back seat open? I had my brother try using a crowbar and no dice. Thanks in advance.
Take out the back seat bottom cushion; lift the front edge, it's held by two spring clips, and pull forward. The two small outer side back cushions are held by one bolt each at their lower edges; take out the drivers side then reach in and pull release straps to release the central parts of the back cushions. After that your on your own . Personally I would unbolt the lock mechanism and take it to any locksmith not dealing with GM or their Dealers.!
John

Folsom, CA

#762 Aug 3, 2007
Does any one know how to program a RKE for a 2005 Malibu?
james anderson

Homosassa, FL

#763 Aug 4, 2007
has any one have problems with there ognition on there 2000 chev malibu

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
people concerned about immigration are not racist 54 min They cannot kill ... 22
Trump the Liar 1 hr They cannot kill ... 257
Open season on Cops 3 hr Male 121
Hillary and Bill, Professional Liars 4 hr a depraved heart ... 5
cops 6, freddie gray 0 4 hr a depraved heart ... 13
Hillary for POTUS 7 hr Greg 21
Gasp! Emails.....created crisis 9 hr d pants 30
why is chelsea clinton so ugly? (Apr '14) 10 hr BizzyBee 85

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages