Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

There are 2765 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

day o71

Lakeside, CA

#2730 May 28, 2014
2005 malibu maxx just wont start. it ran last night, now the negative battery cable is hot. how do i fix this?
day o71

Lakeside, CA

#2731 May 28, 2014
hot negative battery cable? 2005 malibu maxx
Kim

Columbus, OH

#2732 May 30, 2014
My 2013 Chevy Malibu starts beeping at me for no apparent reason. There in:t a message or icon on my dashboard. And the doors and trunk are closed. Can anyone help me.
Brit

Marion, IN

#2734 Jun 4, 2014
Toni wrote:
My 1999 Malibu is having electrical problems. It seems to have something that is draining the battery. We original thought it was the ignition switch but it turned out not to be. Any thoughts?
I am having same problem I tested the altinator it passed got new battery ! Honestly do not understand wat is going on.... Have u ever found a silution ???
Mrs Jackson

Dayton, OH

#2735 Jun 5, 2014
I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu. The check engine light came on 1week ago and since the car has begun losing power while driving. The gas pedal has a1-2 second delay and just today the car began shaking and lost power on the highway...had to pump the gas and travel back and forth between 30-60 miles per hour.. the rpm keeps shooting up as a press on the gas the car jerks takes off a little then the gas pedal stops reacting and my speed is reduced dramatically... its at the point now where the car won't travels over 5mph... I've read about some terrible stories of this happening to others... the car is a lease and due back in 45days... of course this would happen now!
zak

Columbus, OH

#2736 Jun 6, 2014
ajd wrote:
My 2000 Malibu is always making the dinging sound when I put it in drive or reverse or even when I come to a stop any ideas
If you avoid putting it in drive or reverse, you will eliminate the need to come to a stop. This will eliminate the dinging sound all the way around.

Al Gore

Chicago, IL

#2737 Jun 7, 2014
It's simple by a Bentley Continental Flying Spur like me.
Erica

United States

#2739 Jun 16, 2014
I got a 2013 Chevy Malibu lt and my backlights on my radio buttons won't turn on when it's night time... But all my climate controls light up...could it be fuse????
tay

Toledo, OH

#2741 Jun 18, 2014
I have an 06 chevy malibu lt, and after running out of gas today I put two gallons in. My car will start, but quickly stalls out and the engine even started to turn by itself. What could be wrong?
JamBug

Newark, OH

#2742 Jun 20, 2014
I have a 03 Chevy Malibu,.. I was in a fender bender on Monday. nobody was injured thankfully but I think the only reason the accident happened was because of my ABS .. I was only going about 10-15 mph when it happened but my brakes have been weak before the incident so I am thinking that it is my ABS what is your opinion?
Derik Santiago

Brooklyn, NY

#2743 Jun 23, 2014
I have a 2002 Chevy Malibu, I have a problem also with the four way hazard switch it won't stop clicking there is a short in the wiring. I replace the switch itself but even with a brand new one it keeps on clicking so it's definitely the wiring to it. also my head gasket blew because of the Dex Cool coolant. the only thing I can do to fix it because I didn't have the money was to put stop leak in the radiator. today is June 23rd 2014 and I just 6 the blown head gasket would stop leak yesterday. seems to be helping right now but I don't know how long its gonna last. also! my car shut off plenty of times because of the faulty ignition switch which should be recalled on the 2002 Chevy Malibu ls. luckily I know how to drive very well and I threw the car in neutral everytime the car shut off while driving and just turn the key to start it and it started right back up everytime. ignition switch cost a lot to fix and I don't have the money, it isn't right that we have to deal with these problems because of GM. please recall these problems already for the 2002 Chevy Malibu, I could have lost my life along with my 8 year old daughter and 13 year old son because you didn't recall the problems. it's so obvious these vehicles need to be recalled and have these parts replaced before people lose more lives!
Lynn

Urbandale, IA

#2744 Jun 28, 2014
Im hoping someone can Help me. I have a 2000 Malibu. just recently it has died while driving down the road. When I turn the key the radio will come on but no dash lights at all and it will not start. It will crank but wont turn over. Then after several tries of turning the key the dash lights will come back on and the car will start. I didn't get to far, less than a mile and it died again while driving, and again when I turned the key no dash lights, head lights, yet if I opened the door the beeper would go off telling me my keys were still in ignition and again radio was on. Again several attempts at turning the key with no results of dash lights coming back on. Then all of a sudden they will come on and the car will start. Help...maybe someone can explain what the problem is...
James

Brantford, Canada

#2745 Jul 1, 2014
I got a 03 Malibu with about 189 on it, I got a bad squeal somewhere in my belt system and can't figure it out. I have already replace a idiling pully and the original belt to a new one.
Also started a grind on the front wheels

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#2746 Jul 14, 2014
James wrote:
I got a 03 Malibu with about 189 on it, I got a bad squeal somewhere in my belt system and can't figure it out. I have already replace a idiling pully and the original belt to a new one.
Also started a grind on the front wheels
For the squeal ~ a weak belt tensioner can cause even a new belt to slip and squeal especially when accelerating or revving the engine. If all idler pulleys are inspected and found to be ok, I'd first suspect the water pump impeller bearing (not to be confused with the water pump pulley bearing) which requires replacing the water pump. This usually sounds like a metallic squeal and is frequently intermittent during the early stages of bearing failure.
Some power steering pumps will squeal but they usually sound more like a buzzing noise when low on power steering fluid. Alternator and AC compressor bearings can also squeal as they begin failing. Due to the close proximity of spinning components, it is not uncommon to have to use a mechanic's stethoscope to isolate a squeal.

For the grinding noise from the front wheels ~ 99.9% likely that you have failing wheel hub bearings.
Bob

Columbus, OH

#2747 Jul 15, 2014
Postergeist wrote:
<quoted text>
For the squeal ~ a weak belt tensioner can cause even a new belt to slip and squeal especially when accelerating or revving the engine. If all idler pulleys are inspected and found to be ok, I'd first suspect the water pump impeller bearing (not to be confused with the water pump pulley bearing) which requires replacing the water pump. This usually sounds like a metallic squeal and is frequently intermittent during the early stages of bearing failure.
Some power steering pumps will squeal but they usually sound more like a buzzing noise when low on power steering fluid. Alternator and AC compressor bearings can also squeal as they begin failing. Due to the close proximity of spinning components, it is not uncommon to have to use a mechanic's stethoscope to isolate a squeal.
For the grinding noise from the front wheels ~ 99.9% likely that you have failing wheel hub bearings.
Water pumps don't have a separate pulley bearing. The pump's impeller bearing is the only moving part that can squeal and it's frequently caused by old or contaminated coolant since the coolant is what lubricates the bearing.
kip

Madison, WI

#2748 Jul 24, 2014
I see that this has been awhile, but i'm having the same issue with my malibu. how did you end up getting it open? frustrating! Thanks, kip
Ann Marie wrote:
I, too, have had many problems with my 2004 Malibu. Biggest current problem is the trunk. Trunk stopped letting me use the key about a year ago and now the trunk popper has stopped working. I tried to go through the back seat to get in the trunk and it is somehow bolted closed. I looked in the manual and it says that you need to release a latch in the trunk to get in through the seat. How stupid is that? I tried a locksmith and they said they can not do anything, local Chevy dealer actually said, "What do you expect us to do?" OPEN MY TRUNK! Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the trunk open or how to get the back seat open? I had my brother try using a crowbar and no dice. Thanks in advance.
datgirl

Cumberland, WI

#2749 Jul 30, 2014
98 Chevy Malibu chugs when started an won't stay running
Morgan

Ashley, MI

#2750 Jul 31, 2014
So I have a 99 Malibu that's got most every sensor changed and shes got all new plugs and all that shit. Its runs wonderful just acts a little funky when shes cold or its dark out and I have my lights on- let me explain..

The lights will dim and go back and forth between being bright and dim. I can't have my a/c or heat on or she starts acting up. But the battery seems to be working fine. It always starts up and my car charger works with no complications to how the car runs when it's plugged in. Now someone told me it was my a/c pump and I'd like some feedback on that if anyone knows or have had this happen to their Malibu I'd like to know what you did and what you had to buy. There's just so much shit involved I don't want to buy too many parts when in fact it may only be a small fix ya know. So if you know anything that could help me out id be appreciated!
Randy

Coventry, CT

#2751 Aug 8, 2014
Joe wrote:
<quoted text>Buy a Toyota.
Josh - I share in your problem on my Chevy malibu - to bad Joe is a douchebag
TIP

Columbus, OH

#2752 Aug 8, 2014
Morgan wrote:
So I have a 99 Malibu that's got most every sensor changed and shes got all new plugs and all that shit. Its runs wonderful just acts a little funky when shes cold or its dark out and I have my lights on- let me explain..
The lights will dim and go back and forth between being bright and dim. I can't have my a/c or heat on or she starts acting up. But the battery seems to be working fine. It always starts up and my car charger works with no complications to how the car runs when it's plugged in. Now someone told me it was my a/c pump and I'd like some feedback on that if anyone knows or have had this happen to their Malibu I'd like to know what you did and what you had to buy. There's just so much shit involved I don't want to buy too many parts when in fact it may only be a small fix ya know. So if you know anything that could help me out id be appreciated!
You're in luck! Car dealerships everywhere are offering end of model year incentives such as offering a minimum $4,000 trade-in allowance regardless of the condition of your car. Find such a dealership and cut your losses by getting rid of your Malibu while you still can.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Black Crime is out of control. 1 hr Versace 70
NAACP calls for calm in Cleveland 6 hr They cannot kill ... 7
Protesters 6 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 7
Al Sharpton coming to Cleveland...... 7 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 15
News Al-Maliki: U.S. forces wona t stay after 2011 |... (Nov '10) 8 hr swedenforever 5
Cleveland Cop Found NOT GUILTY In Deadly 2012 S... 8 hr cops win again 4
Brelo not guilty 12 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 37
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]