Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ... Full Story
Zak

Columbus, OH

#2709 Apr 6, 2014
MikeyC78 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Joe, thanks for the Reply.
I took apart the dash and instrument panel to check the bulbs. All were good. while I had the dash out i tested the dimmer switch and turn signal switch. after plugging in the turn signal switch i heard the fuse blow. replaced the fuse then heard an arc from the dome light. wires in the dome light had melted shorting out on the roof. Completely removing the light and wires back to the harness remedied the dash problem. They were totally fried. gonna find a better dome light. The design of this one is very poor and seemingly dangerous with the small gauge wires.
so in other words you were a dumbsh!t and shorted it out 'cause you didn't first pull the fuse or disconnect the battery before reconnecting an electrical plug.

“Cats rule.”

Since: Dec 09

Chardon Ohio.

#2710 Apr 6, 2014
Get a Toyota wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what you get when you buy a GM product.
Tats what I have been telling these people all along. I have had nothing but good luck with Toyota Camry's.

“Cats rule.”

Since: Dec 09

Chardon Ohio.

#2711 Apr 6, 2014
Zak wrote:
<quoted text>
so in other words you were a dumbsh!t and shorted it out 'cause you didn't first pull the fuse or disconnect the battery before reconnecting an electrical plug.
That There was funny. Anybody with half a brain knows to disconnect the battery before working on the electrical nightmares that they build now. God I miss the 70's.
Zak

Columbus, OH

#2712 Apr 6, 2014
What is it with these Malibu owners and their stupid questions?

My Malibu doesn't start What's the problem?

I have a Malibu. How do I put gas in it?

I have a 1988 Malibu with 900,000 miles and I've never changed the oil. Is it due an oil change yet?

I have a Malibu that overheated and blew its guts out all over the interstate. Can I still drive it for another couple years until I have enough money to fix it?
Zak

Columbus, OH

#2713 Apr 6, 2014
And Joe the Mechanic needs to quit giving free advice.
JPM

Lufkin, TX

#2714 Apr 10, 2014
Same problem. Did you ever figure out what it was that caused it?
J IRVIN wrote:
When I turn my a/c on my engine cuts out and wants to stall out and if your in gear sitting at a stop light it will die the rmps drop out. I have checked for vacuum leaks, freeon pressure, and changed out oxygen sensor. Can any one help me or give any advice?
HAL

Columbus, OH

#2715 Apr 10, 2014
JPM wrote:
Same problem. Did you ever figure out what it was that caused it?
<quoted text>
Dirty or bad idle air controller.
kacijade

Tulsa, OK

#2716 Apr 22, 2014
I have a 98 chevy Malibu my brake lights WILL NOT work. Ive tried replacing the bulbs, brake switch, and checked fuses. Then my ABS light came on it threw a code C1295- brake lamp circuit open. Any suggestions????!!! Help this is my ONLY car!
kacijade

Tulsa, OK

#2717 Apr 23, 2014
Also i guess i should add that there isn't any corrosion where my light bulbs go. I know this is probably going to sound INSANE after reading all 2668 posts but ive only had one issue with this car and that was that the starter had gone out. If anyone can help me please do. I took it to a mechanic who swore it was my brake switch... obviously not! my dad who is mechanically inclined thinks its wiring. I've checked all my wires and honestly they look fine. So please if any of yall nice gentlemen could help this young lady out i would seriously appreciate it!
ajd

Wahpeton, ND

#2718 Apr 23, 2014
My 2000 Malibu is always making the dinging sound when I put it in drive or reverse or even when I come to a stop any ideas
martin

Modesto, CA

#2719 May 9, 2014
I have a 2008 malibu lt 3.6L my push start stoped working and my check engine like turn on will repair be costly or can I fix myself
wolf232

Suitland, MD

#2721 May 13, 2014
Parking lights won't turn off
Raven

Terre Haute, IN

#2722 May 14, 2014
TJ Noblesville_ IN wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a 2004 Malibu Maxx and am having the same issues. My alarm goes off for no reason. Sometimes its less than a couple of seconds before it goes off, or the car can be sitting for hours.

I'm having this same problem,What's the solution?
GM is a joke

Columbus, OH

#2723 May 15, 2014
Raven wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm having this same problem,What's the solution?
Trade it in on a Toyota.
Jay

Columbus, OH

#2724 May 15, 2014
martin wrote:
I have a 2008 malibu lt 3.6L my push start stoped working and my check engine like turn on will repair be costly or can I fix myself
It's a dealer fix.$2700-plus.
John

Redding, CA

#2725 May 17, 2014
murban wrote:
2005 Malibu - my factory keyless entry is not working. Both key fobs have new batteries. the trunk will open along with the emergency alarm. I cannot open and closed the doors. is there a switch in the trunk? Where is the receiver in the car. it looks like the key fob is transmitting but the car is not responding/
Having the same problem, is there a fuse somewhere that might be blown??
Marcus

Fayetteville, NC

#2726 May 20, 2014
We have an 06 Malibu Maxx-less than $75000 miles. Been to dealer twice for car shutting off while driving a VERY busy interstate. First time was told the charcoal fuel thing was flooded- so they replaced the pump. It has happened 5 times since then. EVERY time my fills up(which she won't now) it does this. NOTE:: my wife doesn't try to top off the tank... Is this a multiple faulty fuel pump problem or is there something else. They cannot figure out what is wrong and as of right now the car has no recalls
Alexis

Houston, TX

#2727 May 23, 2014
I have a 2005 chevy malibu classic. I just changed the spark plugs and a coil regulator the beginning problem I had is gone but as soon as I turn my AC on the engine dies. What is this?
Ugh

Charlotte, NC

#2728 May 23, 2014
Alexis wrote:
I have a 2005 chevy malibu classic. I just changed the spark plugs and a coil regulator the beginning problem I had is gone but as soon as I turn my AC on the engine dies. What is this?
Standard GM.
john

Lake View, NY

#2729 May 24, 2014
I have a 1999 malibu, my blinkers and the door alarms are going off at the same time while i"m driving. what could be the problem'

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Eric Garner died over cigarette tax enforcement. 18 min Go Blue Forever 87
Joe Cocker is dead. 1 hr Duke for Mayor 54
COPS lives MATTER 1 hr Duke for Mayor 160
What will central Ohio look like in 40 years? 2 hr fae31 12
Black on black and scarcely a peep. 2 hr Catman Dave 2
End of Life on Earth 2 hr Duke for Mayor 23
Who do you side with in New York and why? 5 hr Big Johnson 12
Merry Christmas everybody 6 hr Duke for Mayor 31
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 6 hr Pale Rider 4,922
2 magical days until Christmas 6 hr Jack N Hoff 68
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:46 pm PST

NBC Sports 1:46PM
Mike Pettine: Our first-round picks aren't busts
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?
NBC Sports 6:16 AM
A.J. Green's injured arm "feeling a little better"
NFL 7:11 AM
Mike Pettine: Browns won't write off Manziel, Gilbert
Bleacher Report10:17 AM
Complete Week 17 Preview for Baltimore