Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

Full story: Edmunds.com

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...
Comments
2,641 - 2,660 of 2,696 Comments Last updated Thursday Jul 24
dwg

Bridgeport, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2014

Judged:

2000 chevy Malibu start find runs for 12 minutes and stop running
Linda

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2014

Judged:

I have a 2002 malibu and I popped the trunk last night to get something out and then it would not latch and hold shut ..... anyone have any idead on how to get the trunk to close .......PLEASE HELP ME......
Joe

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2014

Judged:

Linda wrote:
I have a 2002 malibu and I popped the trunk last night to get something out and then it would not latch and hold shut ..... anyone have any idead on how to get the trunk to close .......PLEASE HELP ME......
Lubricate the trunk latching mechanism with WD-40 or something similar... have a rag or paper towel handy to catch excess drips. Also look around the latch area on the trunk lid and the point where it contacts when closed to verify that no carpet, plastic molding or rubber weather-stripping is interfering with the lid fully closing and latching.

Zak

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2014

Judged:

dwg wrote:
2000 chevy Malibu start find runs for 12 minutes and stop running
Something is definitely wrong because most Malibu's only run for a couple minutes after you start them.
Nicole

Warren, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2014

Judged:

My engine light keeps coming on and they say it's My throttle position sensor but I replace it already. But every other week the light comes on and it's slow to pick up speed. Do anybody know what's going on. They also reset it then it runs fine. I have a 2005 malibu
Jrs 02 malibu ls

Gaylord, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2014

Judged:

I purchased the car about 2 months ago and still owe money on it and went to put a trailer hitch on it and the frame was to rotted out and it fell back off any solutions or ideas about what I can do is it safe to drive
Robert

Dickson, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2014

Judged:

I have an '02 chevy Malibu. The fans on the radiator weren't turning on, and a friend rigged them to turn on when I start the engine to make sure it doesn't overheat, though it hasn't been overheating yet. Immediately afterwards when it's put in drive there's a thump in the engine, same when it's put back in park, also the tachometer is acting up. My wife swears the fan rigging can't be related. When I say immediately I mean when she got home from our friends house she told me the engine was having problems since she left his house. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I imagine something must have been crossed when the fan was rigged up.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2014

Judged:

rdjr wrote:
my radio in my 2005 Malibu quit working but the cd player still works
Check for a disconnected or broken antenna (I assume you tried pushing the "Band" button above the volume control).
Joe

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 21, 2014

Judged:

Robert wrote:
I have an '02 chevy Malibu. The fans on the radiator weren't turning on, and a friend rigged them to turn on when I start the engine to make sure it doesn't overheat, though it hasn't been overheating yet. Immediately afterwards when it's put in drive there's a thump in the engine, same when it's put back in park, also the tachometer is acting up. My wife swears the fan rigging can't be related. When I say immediately I mean when she got home from our friends house she told me the engine was having problems since she left his house. I'm not much of a mechanic, but I imagine something must have been crossed when the fan was rigged up.
The twin electric fans mounted on the rear side of the radiator do not run all the time. They are designed to turn on only when the coolant temperature reaches approximately 230 degrees and they turn back off when the coolant temp drops back down to approximately 210 degrees. They are also supposed to turn on anytime the air conditioner is turned on. By hotwiring the fans to make them run constantly while the ignition is on, your friend bypassed the fan relays which is likely placing a high electrical demand on your charging system and confusing your body control module which manages various functions including transmission shifting points and engine idle/RPM, Take the car back to your friend and have him return the cooling fan wiring to its original configuration.
lady j

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2014

Judged:

I have a 04 malibu maxx I went to park when I put it on reverse it got stuck didn't wanna change my boyfriend turned it off now it won't turn on or take any other gear but reverse how can I fix this problem
Bobo

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2014

Judged:

lady j wrote:
I have a 04 malibu maxx I went to park when I put it on reverse it got stuck didn't wanna change my boyfriend turned it off now it won't turn on or take any other gear but reverse how can I fix this problem
Charcoal lighter fluid and a match.

“Cats rule.”

Since: Dec 09

Chardon Ohio.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 22, 2014

Judged:

Bobo wrote:
<quoted text>
Charcoal lighter fluid and a match.
You have just made the best informational post on this thread so far. If these people would just buy a Toyota, they wouldn't have any of these problems. That is my opinion coming from pure experience.
adrianna

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

My 2004 chevy malibu will work for a few days and then randomly engine power reduce or engine disable works fine in cool weather but if it's above 40 it does it before I even leave my driveway
Peter

Edmonton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

I have a 1999 Chevy Malibu, when you turn the key you hear a clunking noise and it will not turn over. I have replaced the starter, battery and ignition switch, and the problem is still there.
rebecca

La Mirada, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 30, 2014

Judged:

i have a 2000 malibu and everything works fine except for the radio...when i turn on my car the radio screen stays off and nothing will appear..tried switching the radio fuse but that wasn't the problem..what could be causing this and do i have to get a new one?
joe cleveland ohio

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 2, 2014

Judged:

horn goes off all by itself intermittently in my 2002 malibu LS 6 cylinder.
any suggestions for a cure?

Since: Apr 14

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2014

Judged:

we have an 05 Chevy Malibu. during the day When the light switch is in the Auto Position the odometer lights up and so does the radio back-lighting. but both odometer and radio lights go out in the other two positions of the light switch. also at night in any position the radio doesnt show up and there is no back-lighting for the dash. All the dummie lights come on at startup though. Joe The Mechanic, I would love your input if you are still on here.
Thanks,
Mikey
Joe the Mechanic

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2014

Judged:

MikeyC78 wrote:
we have an 05 Chevy Malibu. during the day When the light switch is in the Auto Position the odometer lights up and so does the radio back-lighting. but both odometer and radio lights go out in the other two positions of the light switch. also at night in any position the radio doesnt show up and there is no back-lighting for the dash. All the dummie lights come on at startup though. Joe The Mechanic, I would love your input if you are still on here.
Thanks,
Mikey
Sounds like nothing more than your instrument panel brightness control knob. Sitting in the driver's seat, look at the instrument panel to the left side of the steering wheel. Being an 05 Malibu, there should be a small black knob and on the end of the knob you should see a white outline of a light bulb with light rays coming off of it combined with a similar white outline of a dial indicator that looks like a tachometer or speedometer. When looking at this knob, you should also see a curved white line on the right side of the panel the knob protrudes from... the curved line is narrower at the top and wider at the bottom. If this knob is turned counterclockwise until it stops, it will fully dim your odometer, radio display, and backlighting... if it's turned clockwise until it stops, all of the lighting will be fully brightened.
Because this knob can be turned sideways and upside down, the symbols frequently don't make any sense to a lot of drivers and many don't even know what the knob is for unless they happen to read their owner's manual. This has fixed 99.99% of similar complaints I've encountered over the years. The brightness control & location of course varies between makes & models... some use a small knob, some use a small wheel, some are on the dash, some are on the turn signal stalk, etc.. Hopefully this fixes your problem!

Since: Apr 14

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2014

Judged:

Joe the Mechanic wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like nothing more than your instrument panel brightness control knob. Sitting in the driver's seat, look at the instrument panel to the left side of the steering wheel. Being an 05 Malibu, there should be a small black knob and on the end of the knob you should see a white outline of a light bulb with light rays coming off of it combined with a similar white outline of a dial indicator that looks like a tachometer or speedometer. When looking at this knob, you should also see a curved white line on the right side of the panel the knob protrudes from... the curved line is narrower at the top and wider at the bottom. If this knob is turned counterclockwise until it stops, it will fully dim your odometer, radio display, and backlighting... if it's turned clockwise until it stops, all of the lighting will be fully brightened.
Because this knob can be turned sideways and upside down, the symbols frequently don't make any sense to a lot of drivers and many don't even know what the knob is for unless they happen to read their owner's manual. This has fixed 99.99% of similar complaints I've encountered over the years. The brightness control & location of course varies between makes & models... some use a small knob, some use a small wheel, some are on the dash, some are on the turn signal stalk, etc.. Hopefully this fixes your problem!
Hi Joe, thanks for the Reply.
I took apart the dash and instrument panel to check the bulbs. All were good. while I had the dash out i tested the dimmer switch and turn signal switch. after plugging in the turn signal switch i heard the fuse blow. replaced the fuse then heard an arc from the dome light. wires in the dome light had melted shorting out on the roof. Completely removing the light and wires back to the harness remedied the dash problem. They were totally fried. gonna find a better dome light. The design of this one is very poor and seemingly dangerous with the small gauge wires.
Get a Toyota

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2014

Judged:

MikeyC78 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Joe, thanks for the Reply.
I took apart the dash and instrument panel to check the bulbs. All were good. while I had the dash out i tested the dimmer switch and turn signal switch. after plugging in the turn signal switch i heard the fuse blow. replaced the fuse then heard an arc from the dome light. wires in the dome light had melted shorting out on the roof. Completely removing the light and wires back to the harness remedied the dash problem. They were totally fried. gonna find a better dome light. The design of this one is very poor and seemingly dangerous with the small gauge wires.
That's what you get when you buy a GM product.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

26 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
palin: americans will support impeachment if...... 15 min Free Pizza 4 U 9
Please Help!! 23 min Crusader 1
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr Go Blue Forever 2,906
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Pope Che Reagan Christ I 29,344
Obama seen as threat to Constitution 1 hr Pope Che Reagan Christ I 47
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 5 hr Logan 829
Colorado unveils Obamacare tax to boost struggl... 8 hr They cannot kill a Spook 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••