Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & S...

Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

There are 2917 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

Jesse

Toronto, Canada

#2651 Dec 7, 2013
My 1997 malibu signal clicker stays on when the signal isn't on and the vehicle started to ding if had to pull the fuse for it to stop? Any thoughts on why it would be doing this?
Cunny Lingus

Twinsburg, OH

#2652 Dec 7, 2013
Jesse wrote:
My 1997 malibu signal clicker stays on when the signal isn't on and the vehicle started to ding if had to pull the fuse for it to stop? Any thoughts on why it would be doing this?
Yes, it's a Chevy.
demetrius Dooley

United States

#2653 Dec 8, 2013
05 Malibu wrote:
I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu that won't start. Says "error" where milage is at and the anti theft lock light shows everytime I turn the key. Battery is new and no clicking noise. Any ideas what it might be??
I want to know how to fix my car
dean

Saskatoon, Canada

#2654 Dec 24, 2013
hi ,i have a 2005 malibu maxx and im having problems when it gets cold out .like over minus 20 out of the blue the tempurture gauge will quit working and the fan will keep running and wont shut off till i shut the car off .then when its nice out everything is fine its so baffiling i need help getting down to what is going on can anyone please help with this issue .thanks so much if anyone can help
duh

Columbus, OH

#2655 Dec 26, 2013
dean wrote:
hi ,i have a 2005 malibu maxx and im having problems when it gets cold out .like over minus 20 out of the blue the tempurture gauge will quit working and the fan will keep running and wont shut off till i shut the car off .then when its nice out everything is fine its so baffiling i need help getting down to what is going on can anyone please help with this issue .thanks so much if anyone can help
Move south where it's warmer. Problem solved.
KFF

Farmington, MI

#2656 Dec 27, 2013
Franko wrote:
My 2004 LT has the front headlamps that the turnsignals burnt holes in the amber lenses and has the h/ls smoked up. It still has the original bulbs. Two dealers told me the car is out of warrenty and it is my problem. One dealer told me he never saw this happen befor.
My 04 did the same thing. I thought that I had purchased the wrong bulb but now I think that there must be another problem. I am still looking for the solution...
Tony

Fargo, ND

#2657 Dec 30, 2013
That's harsh
koo

Naperville, IL

#2658 Dec 30, 2013
Chevy Malibu transmission issue. Put car in gear and it won't go. Sometimes at a stop light it stalls. Help me please.
billy

Baileyton, AL

#2659 Dec 30, 2013
I had the same problem with mine on the driver side. I had to replace the plug that goes to the tail light itself. I had to cut and splice one on. Undo the plug from the tail light and see if it is burned at all. Mine was junk
linda

Fayetteville, NC

#2660 Jan 6, 2014
MY 2003 CHEVY MALIBU HEAT,AIR ,RADIO ,OR POWER WINDOWS ARE WORKING THE CAR IS DRIVABLE BUT I CAN NOT ROLL THE WINDOWS DOWN TURN ON MY heat or air or the radio help please
Rene

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#2661 Jan 7, 2014
I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu... I hear a hissig noise with a slight knock and I keep getting a Low Coolant warning which I refill. No lose of power or no overheating. Any ideas out there? Thanks
Not Billy Bob

Riverside, CA

#2662 Jan 18, 2014
billy bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Q: How do you replace the gear shift indicator light bulb?
A: Remove the old bulb and install a new one.
Does anyone have a more useful answer? I can get close to the bulb but i can't locate the tabs I need to remove to actually release the bulb from it's seat.
Frank Fabeets

Twinsburg, OH

#2663 Jan 18, 2014
Rene wrote:
I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu... I hear a hissig noise with a slight knock and I keep getting a Low Coolant warning which I refill. No lose of power or no overheating. Any ideas out there? Thanks
The hiss is from the rattlesnake in your trunk being fed with your antifreeze. He's knocking because he wants out.
mark S

Waukesha, WI

#2664 Jan 25, 2014
I have a 2005 Malibu 4 cylinder. The car occasionally has a supper rough idle during very cold weather and stalling at traffic lights but NOT all the time. I noted clear water in my PCV tube and in the Air Duct into my throttle body during very cold weather (below zero). No water in the air filter. I clean out the water and it runs fine for a week or two until it stalls again in cold weather. The water is CLEAR, not milky or oily.

Maybe the water issue doesn't have anything to do with the rough idle? Help!
Bob

Columbus, OH

#2665 Jan 25, 2014
mark S wrote:
I have a 2005 Malibu 4 cylinder. The car occasionally has a supper rough idle during very cold weather and stalling at traffic lights but NOT all the time. I noted clear water in my PCV tube and in the Air Duct into my throttle body during very cold weather (below zero). No water in the air filter. I clean out the water and it runs fine for a week or two until it stalls again in cold weather. The water is CLEAR, not milky or oily.
If your are sucking in air around your air duct, it can result in condensation (warm engine + cold air) and the formation of ice inside the duct during cold temps. Excess moisture can create a rough idle and an air leak can also affect your idle if it occurs on the engine side of your mass air flow sensor which is normally located within the duct. Inspect your air duct to ensure all clamps are securely tightened (grasp them firmly and try to twist them and then snug them down with a screwdriver or suitable tool). Pay close attention to the ends of the duct that connect to the throttle body and air filter housing to ensure that they are fully seated. Also inspect the air duct on all sides with a flashlight and mirror to ensure that there are no cracks or holes.

Water inside the PCV tube could be nothing more than moisture from crankcase vapors especially if you make short trips that don't create enough engine heat to burn off the moisture. It could also could be a sign of an internal coolant leak creating excess moisture inside the crankcase but if that were the case you would likely be seeing evidence of coolant not just clear water plus you would have the other usual symptoms of coolant in your oil and/or oil in your coolant.
Bob

Columbus, OH

#2666 Jan 25, 2014
mark S wrote:
Taking the PCV water out of the equation, your rough idle could be due to water in your fuel. This can usually be remedied by adding a bottle of Heet or Chevron with Techron to a tank of gas.

Another common cause of rough idle is a dirty throttle body. Over time normal combustion deposits form around the edges of the throttle body's movable throttle plate (aka butterfly plate). When the throttle plate is closed at the idle position, a small gap around the edges allows just enough airflow to maintain idle speed such as when you're stopped at a traffic light. If deposits are blocking this airflow, your idle will be rough when stopped and it will frequently fluctuate up and down as the computer tries to compensate for the restricted airflow. The throttle body DOES NOT have to be removed for cleaning because you only need to clean around the throttle plate. With the engine cool and off, just remove the air duct and use aerosol throttle body cleaner and a shop rag or terry cloth to remove any deposits. If the deposits are difficult to remove, you can use an old toothbrush or similar type of brush to break them loose. After cleaning, reconnect the air duct and start the engine. If any excess cleaner made its way inside the throttle body during cleaning, the car may crank or run rough for a few seconds before smoothing out.

Another common cause of rough idle is the mass airflow sensor that's normally inside the air duct. If it's dirty, it can send incorrect airflow readings to the computer which in turn will incorrectly calibrate the throttle body's air/fuel mixture. If you can access the mass airflow sensor, you just remove it's mounting screws... on some vehicles you instead just remove the section of duct it's mounted into. In either case, you spray the sensor with an aerosol cleaner specifically made for mass airflow sensors (required due to the sensitivity of the sensor and its protective coatings). DO NOT touch the sensor itself to clean it... just spray it once or twice and allow it to air dry for a few minutes before reassembling. On some vehicles, disconnecting and reconnecting the mass airflow sensor's electrical plug will trigger the check engine light due to loss of electrical signal from the sensor. In such a case, the check engine light will go out once the computer senses that the problem no longer exists (sometimes takes an hour or more of driving or several cold starts).
crystal

Decatur, GA

#2667 Jan 27, 2014
I have a malibu 08 Ls v6 when i was driving it to today I notice that it was making a clicking noise eatch time i press on gas then when i released the gas , i was thinking do my car needs engine oil or what?
i really need help with this can anyone let me know the issue?
rob

Casa Grande, AZ

#2669 Feb 9, 2014
I have a 2000 Malibu the car turns over runs for a few seconds then shuts off , and the dash light are all on even when the key is out and the rpm gage is flickering can some one help what the cause is
trick1989

Sevierville, TN

#2670 Feb 9, 2014
I have a 2002 chevy mailbu and here lately its useing alot of gas does anyone know what it could be before I have to spend alot of money to find out whats going on with it?? Plz help!!
Kriss

Encino, CA

#2671 Feb 10, 2014
I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu Classic. I am having problems with the door locks. They used to automatically lock and unlock when putting car in to drive or park, well that stopped and started again and now stopped. When getting out of my car now I am trying to lock the doors with the switch and it doesnt want to lock, sometimes after a couple tries I can get it to work and sometimes only from the passenger side. During this time I have also had random beeping sounds, similar to programing radio channels or the clock and random honking. I no longer have the anti theft key fob to try locking and unlocking that way. I am at my wits end with this. As I am researching I have found that it may be the actuators or the BCM. None of those refer to the honking and beeping. Could this be an issue with the anti theft system? Please help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Comey Tapes + Memo = its Over 4 Trump 30 min Neutral Party 14
Duckfoot Donald Trump da Man in Orange 34 min The Great Alphonso 3
Anyone seen Sidekick or Tip 36 min Pale Rider 53
School's Out For Summer 41 min The Great Alphonso 3
America Held Hostage Day 123 47 min Pope Che Reagan C... 103
America Held Hostage Day 125 1 hr Trouser Cough 10
SORRY Now I voted for trump. 1 hr Reality Speaks 4
!!Add a word drop a word !! (Jun '12) 1 hr Reality Speaks 518

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web