Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & S...

Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

There are 2915 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

Joe

Columbus, OH

#2631 Nov 9, 2013
Lorrie wrote:
My 2004 Chev Malibu LS no longer has back up lights, the locks don't work & the transfer case with the 3 speed in low does not work. Also the resume button doesn't work. I'm not sure if they are related but seem to have seem to have started at the same time. Does any one have any fixes, especially for the back up lights?
All of the items you mention are controlled by your car's Body Control Module (BCM) and such malfunctions frequently occur when the settings are disrupted especially after a dead battery or a battery replacement. You can reset the BCM by disconnecting the car battery's negative (ground) cable for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, reconnect the battery cable, start the car normally and allow it to idle for 10 minutes without touching any controls (lights, radio, temperature/fan controls, etc.). NOTE: you may experience a rough idle until the BCM calibrates the throttle body idle air/fuel mixture. After idling for 10 minutes, take your car for a drive where you can accelerate to a speed above 40 mph for at least 30 seconds. Then slow down to a speed below 35mph for a few seconds and then once again accelerate above 40 mph. Repeat this cycle at least three times total which will enable the BCM to recalibrate your throttle body's operating parameters and your transmission's shifting points. Once you return home, allow your car to continue idling while testing your windows, lights, etc. and hopefully everything will work properly. NOTE: do not be alarmed if your "check engine" warning light illuminates as this is normal when the BCM loses data input from the battery being disconnected. It's also common for the "air bag" warning light to illuminate as well. Both warning lights should go out once the BCM senses all is well which can take anywhere from a minute to a week.

If this doesn't fix your problems, your BCM likely needs to be reprogrammed or replaced. Both procedures normally have to be performed by a GM dealer unless you can find a repair shop that has the necessary equipment to reprogram your existing BCM or to program a new one.
Joe

Columbus, OH

#2632 Nov 9, 2013
gkg wrote:
hi I have a Malibu 2006 its fuel gauge always shows full fuel even if it has a little fuel what should I do.
Most likely a bad fuel gauge or fuel sender unit. If it's the fuel gauge, you'll have to replace the entire instrument cluster (speedometer, temp, fuel, etc.) because it's an all-in-one assembly. If you're mechanically inclined, you can replace it yourself as it requires little more than removing some dash trim and a couple screws/bolts and then disconnecting an electrical plug. If it's a fuel sender unit, the fuel tank will likely have to be lowered in order to access it for replacement.

A third culprit could of course be the electrical wiring between the tank and fuel gauge. Any reliable mechanic should be able to quickly isolate the problem one way or the other.

Fuel sender units are prone to accumulation of sulfur deposits from gasoline which can cause them to send erratic signals to fuel gauges. GM vehicles have had a big problem with this over the years and an easy fix is to add a bottle of "Chevron with Techron" fuel additive to a tank once a month to remove the sulfur deposits from the sender unit. You may want to try this first and you can find it at most any auto parts store for around $7 per bottle. It's important to make sure you use the version containing Techron and not just plain Chevron fuel injector cleaner.
Joe

Columbus, OH

#2633 Nov 9, 2013
Jerry wrote:
I have a 98 Malibu and the headlights go out when I tilt the steering wheel. It is worse in cold weather. Sometimes they go out completely and I have to play with the tilt to get them to go on. Any suggestions with this??
Definitely sounds like an electrical short within the wiring. Troubleshooting will most likely require disassembly of the steering column housing for access. Extreme caution needs to be observed due to the air bag located inside the steering wheel.
Essence

United States

#2634 Nov 11, 2013
My 2011 Chevy malubu want start antitheft light on tried the on position for 10 minutes didn't work help pls
Katie

Fenton, MI

#2635 Nov 12, 2013
I have a 1998 Chevy Malibu and my shifter is broken. I can get a new one but I don't know how to change it. Can someone please help me!
Paco

Columbus, OH

#2636 Nov 16, 2013
Katie wrote:
I have a 1998 Chevy Malibu and my shifter is broken. I can get a new one but I don't know how to change it. Can someone please help me!
STEP 1 - Remove broken shifter.

STEP 2 - Install new shifter.
Paco

Columbus, OH

#2637 Nov 16, 2013
Jerry wrote:
I have a 98 Malibu and the headlights go out when I tilt the steering wheel. It is worse in cold weather. Sometimes they go out completely and I have to play with the tilt to get them to go on. Any suggestions with this??
Don't tilt your steering wheel at night when it's cold.
Lee

United States

#2638 Nov 18, 2013
I have a 2005 Chevy Malibu maxx. When I go to stop the car, the brake pedal goes all the way to the floor and the brakes barely stop the car. I've had all new brakes put on, a new rear brake line. and it still does it. someone told me to have the master cylinder checked, so I did and the mechanic said the master cylinder is fine, he says it's the ABS. but a different mechanic said its not the ABS. What could the problem be??
Angie88

United States

#2639 Nov 20, 2013
Hey so I gave a 2004 classic Chevy Malibu, I have put two qts oil in my car and its not starting, it wants to crank but isn't starting, what could be wrong with it, my battery is good and hooked up properly but just not starting/cranking over
paul

Lafayette, IN

#2640 Nov 20, 2013
I have a 05 malibu max . It will start and run for 20 sec and shut off. can someone please help
Zoey

Columbus, OH

#2641 Nov 20, 2013
paul wrote:
I have a 05 malibu max . It will start and run for 20 sec and shut off. can someone please help
Plan all of your trips in 20 second increments.
cecelia Barber

Huntsville, AL

#2642 Nov 21, 2013
I am having what I am sure to be electrical issues in my 1993 chevie lumina.I have had it to my macanic 2 times.He has had it on the diagnostic machine and it won't act up for him he has replaced everthing but the computer.The car runs great except every once in awhile it will when I slow just turns itself off.I was told it could ne a ground problem but we just don't know.I never know when its going to do it.It doesn't have to have a totally warmed up engine to act.if you have a answer or if you know of any one that spealizes in this type of problem if In the Huntsville al area please let me know!Thanks so much!
Derrick

Springfield, NJ

#2643 Nov 22, 2013
I got anew Chevy Malibu and the heater and lights won't work I checked fuses can someone help me out
Garr

Seattle, WA

#2644 Nov 22, 2013
MAXX Owner wrote:
<quoted text>
For what its worth the MAXX is a heavy car. More friction is required to stop it....basic physics. Install ceramic pads and good rotors.
I had a 2006 Malibu Max that wore out the left rear brake pads at a very early mileage (about 20,000). I could also feel the wear on the rotor with my finger. Problem seemed to be caused by the auto adjust of the parking brake advance. Diagnosed by an independent mechanic. The Chevy service advisor didn't have why the brake wear would be so early. That's why I went to the independent and paid him to fix it. As a after thought this was clearly a warranty issue which I believe the Chevy dealer should have been ready to handle. After that I didn't have to do any work on the brakes until after 70,000 miles on the car. The brakes and rotors were fine.
SB post

Sacramento, CA

#2645 Nov 23, 2013
I have a 2006 malibu and it want start.the car want say noting all the lights come on when i turn the key but at want make a sound can you help me please.
jay

United States

#2646 Nov 24, 2013
I got a 2000 Malibu Ls an one morning I started my car to warm it up and the steering was hard and started making noise so I got a new pump and put it on but naw it makes low noise and it steers eazyer but has that noise win I steer
Gia

United States

#2647 Dec 1, 2013
I have a 2007 Malibu that the windows stopped working. I replaced the fuse multiple time and it kept blowing. Took it to a dealer and they replace the battery and the driver door switch. Didn't work. Now the key-less entry and door locks don't work and I'm getting check airbag and door ajar messages periodically. Any suggestions?
Doug

Columbus, OH

#2648 Dec 1, 2013
Gia wrote:
I have a 2007 Malibu that the windows stopped working. I replaced the fuse multiple time and it kept blowing. Took it to a dealer and they replace the battery and the driver door switch. Didn't work. Now the key-less entry and door locks don't work and I'm getting check airbag and door ajar messages periodically. Any suggestions?
Get rid of it.
Manuel

San Joaquin, CA

#2649 Dec 5, 2013
Sup everybody i just purchased a 2010 chevy malibu and it worked perfect for about two weeks and three days ago it didnt want to start i checked the battery and it was fine all the lights worked and the anti theft light was on so i unpluged the battery and let it sit for about 10 minutes the car turned on and everything was working fine sp the next day i was driving it and it completly turned off on me on a stop the reason i noticed was because the low fuel letters appeared on the dashboard so i pulled over and did the same thing with the battery and turned on but this time the anti theft light didnt appear so im kinda stuck i dont know what it could be or if i made a bad purchase if anyone knows why it does that i will appreciate any help sorry for the long paragraph
Anonymous

Portland, OR

#2650 Dec 6, 2013
I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx has rpm issues particularly when going up hill.. did tune up..replaced cats...very frustrating. Transmission tech sad nothing wrong with transmission. No codes. please help.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Two faced Trump lies again 🤥 2 min free pizza 4U 23
News Athens to consider single-use grocery bag fee (May '16) 37 min Ole Salty Dog 4
America Held Hostage Day 91 2 hr Northerner 11
Spencer to talk at college, alt-right white sup... 3 hr Big Johnson 18
Vacation Over: Obama Returns to Pubic Life Next... 3 hr You are losing it 2
News Proposed sanctuary city ban plugged on pro-whit... 4 hr Bad Boy 8
News History well-told at 6 sites in Ohio | The Colu... (Dec '10) 4 hr Whatnow 4
Trump Meet pos Nugent and Palin ay MaraLago not WH 5 hr Big Johnson 37
Trump Compared to Last Five Presidents 😝 17 hr America Destroyer 20

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages