Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

Full story: Edmunds.com

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Comments (Page 129)

Showing posts 2,561 - 2,580 of2,695
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Rbutler

Palm Coast, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Can anyone tell me the name of the tee underneath the bracket of #4 in this pic thanks in advanced.

http://just.razzi.me/photos/846416/cd3df3a.jp...
Ron

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

Dimitri wrote:
I have a 2005 malibu max.
While driving "check gas cap" displays on the
screen. What could be the trouble?
It just means to physically check your gas cap to (1) ensure that it is in place and (2) confirm that it is fully tightened by turning it clockwise until you hear at least 3 clicks. The underside of your gas cap has a rubber seal/gasket that prevents fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere. If your onboard emissions monitoring system senses a fuel tank vapor leak, it triggers a "check gas cap" or "check engine" notification on your instrument panel.

Once you retighten the gas cap, the display notification may disappear immediately. If not, it could take several engine start cycles or driving several miles/kilometers before the emissions monitoring system verifies the problem no longer exists at which time the notification should disappear.

If the notification persists for a couple days after you retighten the gas cap, the gas cap seal/gasket is likely worn out which will require obtaining a replacement gas cap. You can obtain an original replacement from a GM dealership or an aftermarket replacement from an auto parts store. Be sure you get one for your specific vehicle including the year and engine displacement as gas cap design varies from vehicle to vehicle.
Chevy Owner

Spokane, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 10, 2013

I only know that on some GM cars, the check engine light will come on if you forget to put the gas tank gas cap on and drive a little until you put it back on. Some parts stores, have a computer diagnostic device that will verify if that is the problem or car mechanics have one if it is a good sized business.

I got mine read free at a parts store that said free
diagnostic check.

It said it was the cap, and also if you put an aftermarket gas cap on, like a locking one, it might give you this error according to the clerk.
mike

Greene, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

my 2003 Malibu brake lite is lit while driving and dinging but stops at stop signs and red lights also the abs light is on can anyone tell me what might be the problem the brakes work good
Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2013

mike wrote:
my 2003 Malibu brake lite is lit while driving and dinging but stops at stop signs and red lights also the abs light is on can anyone tell me what might be the problem the brakes work good
First confirm that your parking brake pedal is fully released. Driving with the parking brake partially engaged will activate the warning light and a warning chime while in motion but it shouldn't cause the ABS light to illuminate. A defective parking brake switch would do the same thing even with the parking brake fully released but again it shouldn't activate the ABS warning light.

Second check your brake fluid reservoir because the fluid level decreases over time as the friction material on brake pads/shoes is worn down. The reservoir has internal sensors to measure fluid level and if the fluid level is low, it can slosh around inside the reservoir and trigger the brake warning light to turn on and off when the car is in motion and stopping. Low brake fluid can also trigger the ABS warning light if the ABS control module senses low or unequal brake fluid pressure. Consult your owners manual for fluid level inspection guidelines and brake fluid type.

The problem could also be a defective wheel sensor or defective ABS control module.
gary

Traverse City, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2013

power steering all of a sudden went out with no warning,pulled off the road and shut it down.re started it and then the power steering light came on and then it was fine.ive had a lot of issues with warning lights,even loose gas cap light any imput would be great its a 05 maxx ls thanks.
tarah

Greenfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2013

Judged:

I have a 08 Chevy Malibu. I got the front brake pads changed and ever since then there's a faint clicking noise when I brake softly. it vibrates when I brake hard or fast. what could it be??
Big Ed

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

I have a 2002 Malibu. Is the fuse box interchangable with other 2002 Malibus?
Jackie

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

I put a new starter on a 98 chevy malibu. When I test drove it all instrument panel lights went out.
brian

Towanda, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

I have a 1999 chevy malibu with the 3100 in it and it loses power after it gets warm. Really bad on hills. Cold it has all kinds of power but only a minute or so after going it loses it. Anyone have any ideas?
Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Judged:

brian wrote:
I have a 1999 chevy malibu with the 3100 in it and it loses power after it gets warm. Really bad on hills. Cold it has all kinds of power but only a minute or so after going it loses it. Anyone have any ideas?
Possible causes: dirty/defective mass airflow sensor or intake air temperature sensor; clogged air filter; defective engine temperature sensor; weak fuel pump; clogged fuel filter; dirty throttle body; defective throttle position sensor; dirty fuel injectors; bad fuel (sediment or water contamination inside tank).

Any loss of power should be triggering the check engine light and storing a malfunction code that identifies the problem.
Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

tarah wrote:
I have a 08 Chevy Malibu. I got the front brake pads changed and ever since then there's a faint clicking noise when I brake softly. it vibrates when I brake hard or fast. what could it be??
Have your brakes checked ASAP by a reliable mechanic. Each front wheel has a brake caliper that is held in place with two mounting bolts. What you describe sounds like one (or both) bolts on a caliper wasn't tightened and torqued to manufacturer specs resulting in the caliper assembly and brake pads not being fully seated against the brake rotor. When braking softly you will hear it as a metallic clicking noise and when braking hard it will be a noticeable vibration that you can feel. I've seen this twice before on vehicles after the pads were changed by a national brake repair chain.
Bob

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2013

Jackie wrote:
I put a new starter on a 98 chevy malibu. When I test drove it all instrument panel lights went out.
Turn your headlights on... do your instrument panel lights illuminate? If not, the first thing to check is your interior lighting dimmer knob to make sure it hasn't been inadvertently turned to a low or off setting. If the dimmer knob is turned up and you still have no lights, check the fuse for the instrument panel lights. Look in your owners manual for the fuse box diagram and listing of fuses. If I remember correctly, the late 90's Malibu instrument panel display lights are wired into a 2-amp fuse for the parking lights while the parking lights themselves are wired into a 10-amp fuse (it's wired this way so the instrument panel lights illuminate when the parking lights are turned on).

If you find the fuse is good, the problem may be your body control module (BCM) which is a computer that controls a lot of your car's systems including interior lighting. Assuming that you disconnected the battery to replace your starter, you also disconnected power to your BCM's memory which can develop a brain fart after suddenly losing power for extended periods (similar to disconnecting power to a computer without first shutting it down). In such a case, you can sometimes fix the problem by disconnecting the battery for at least 10 minutes and then reconnecting it. Once you reconnect the battery, start the car, let it idle for another 10 minutes and otherwise don't touch anything while the BCM recalibrates various systems. After 10 minutes, take your car for a drive where you can accelerate above 45mph to allow the BCM to recalibrate transmission shifting points and engine idle speed. After returning home, turn off the engine, exit your car, and check your remote door lock (key fob) for proper operation.

Just FYI- if your check engine light illuminates after reconnecting the battery, it's likely a false alarm which will disappear after a few cold engine starts. Also when power to a BCM is disconnected, the air bag warning system is frequently triggered due to loss of electrical signal between the BCM and air bag monitoring system... this is another false alarm that will disappear after a few cold engine starts.

When disconnecting/reconnecting a battery, always remember to first disconnect the negative terminal and then the positive terminal. When reconnecting, first connect the positive terminal and then the negative terminal.
Guillermo Melgar

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2013

No, no, no!

The turning signal socket is a defective design. It's been designed like that on purpose so that you buy the whole lead at around $300 per light =$1200 for the 4 lights.

Find the solution on the URL below, to replace the 4 sockets for less than $70. Thank me later!

http://store.the-electric-connection.com/4193...
Chico

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 19, 2013

Guillermo Melgar wrote:
No, no, no!
The turning signal socket is a defective design. It's been designed like that on purpose so that you buy the whole lead at around $300 per light =$1200 for the 4 lights.
Find the solution on the URL below, to replace the 4 sockets for less than $70. Thank me later!
http://store.the-electric-connection.com/4193...
?Which comment are you replying to?
2sea2__--

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

Does a 2007 Malibu even have a fuel guage fuse to check?
2sea2__--

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2013

does a 2007 Malibu evan have fuel guage fuse if so where
Help Me Malibu

Camp Hill, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2013

my turn signals seem to burn thru the amber light cover on headlight ....
how can I stop this?
replaced bulbs , headlights are pretty expensive.
laura

Hamilton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

no radio or clock or signal light sound checked all fusese except the trunk where is it located
Allen

Irwin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Ann Marie wrote:
I, too, have had many problems with my 2004 Malibu. Biggest current problem is the trunk. Trunk stopped letting me use the key about a year ago and now the trunk popper has stopped working. I tried to go through the back seat to get in the trunk and it is somehow bolted closed. I looked in the manual and it says that you need to release a latch in the trunk to get in through the seat. How stupid is that? I tried a locksmith and they said they can not do anything, local Chevy dealer actually said, "What do you expect us to do?" OPEN MY TRUNK! Anyone have any suggestions on how to get the trunk open or how to get the back seat open? I had my brother try using a crowbar and no dice. Thanks in advance.
I had the same problem, Took off the cover on the latch and attached a dog leach to the loop in the wire, extended it to the passenger side back door. Just pull the leach and the gate opens. Sometimes you need to push the finger back so the gate will lock when closed. This was my answer after three replacements from the Dealer. None of them worked for more than a few weeks.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 2,561 - 2,580 of2,695
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

44 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 3 min xxxrayted 29,052
Is Barak Obama responsible for the current bord... 32 min Reality Speaks 154
Lois Lerner linked to another erased hard drive 39 min Male 54
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 3 hr Logan 818
City Council to consider regulations for Uber, ... 4 hr JessieCups 1
Treating the vermin like vermin 5 hr yeah baby yeah 1
Columbus mayor to DNC: Pick us or lose Ohio 5 hr Reality Speaks 6
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••