Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ... Full Story
joe

Decatur, GA

#2567 Jul 16, 2013
turns over wont start replaced fuelpump
zak

Columbus, OH

#2568 Jul 16, 2013
Hmmm wrote:
I've got an 02 Malibu that I've had for over 6 years. When I first got the car it had 71K and it's got almost 160K. First, the hazard switch went out and had to pay $103 dollars to have it replaced because it was a dealer part only at the time. Second, I kept having trouble with the brake pads and rotors. I was having to change pads every year and they'd warp the rotors and I'd have to have them turned every year. So I ended up getting cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads and they work a lot better than stock. My manifold intake gasket blew and I couldn't drive my car home. My dad fixed it and it was $300. My brake caliper got stuck and it ate my pad but didn't do a thing to the rotors. My rear signal light quit working. I took it to a mechanic and it wasn't the circuit panel or the assembly under the dash, so back to the dealer it will go because the mechanic said it's most likely a computer problem.
All of the problems you listed were part of the standard equipment package included with every '02 Malibu.
Joe the Mechanic

Columbus, OH

#2569 Jul 16, 2013
joe wrote:
turns over wont start replaced fuelpump
The problem could be any number of things including a blown fuse/bad relay (cheap fix), bad crankshaft position sensor (cheap fix), bad injector (cheap fix), bad electronic control module (expensive fix), etc. Your onboard diagnostic system should be throwing a malfunction code which identifies the source of the problem. If you don't have a code reader or can't get someone to read the codes for you, have the car towed to a reliable repair shop instead of blindly replacing parts.
Hesper

Derby, KS

#2570 Jul 29, 2013
I have a chevy malibu 2010.It started doing the start and die thing about a month ago. The only difference is the anti theft light does not come on like in all the other posts. It seems to only do it when its hot. We have checked the fuel pressure and it seems good. What could this be?
Hmmm

Logan, WV

#2571 Jul 29, 2013
Hesper wrote:
I have a chevy malibu 2010.It started doing the start and die thing about a month ago. The only difference is the anti theft light does not come on like in all the other posts. It seems to only do it when its hot. We have checked the fuel pressure and it seems good. What could this be?
Thermostat might need to be replaced.
zak

Columbus, OH

#2572 Jul 29, 2013
Hmmm wrote:
<quoted text>Thermostat might need to be replaced.
Sounds like your muffler bearing is going bad.
Joe the Mechanic

Columbus, OH

#2573 Jul 29, 2013
Hesper wrote:
Before spending lots of money troubleshooting, first try cleaning your throttle body especially if it's never been done. The throttle body regulates the air needed for combustion and any dirt, oil residue, etc. can degrade the airflow needed for proper idling ESPECIALLY WHEN HOT. Cleaning is easy and can be done without removing the throttle body from the engine. All that is needed is a can of aerosol throttle body cleaner (around $5 at any auto parts store), a toothbrush, and a couple clean cotton shop rags.

See the following videos for a quick explanation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Black soot/oily residue within the throttle body is normal as it comes from combustion and fuel vapors. Good luck!
car guy

Columbus, OH

#2574 Jul 30, 2013
Hesper wrote:
"It seems to only do it when its hot"...

Do you mean when the engine is hot or when the outside ambient air temp is hot?
GM master mechanic

Columbus, OH

#2575 Jul 30, 2013
Hesper wrote:
You need new disc brake pads and new brake rotors.
PeTeR PiPeR

Columbus, OH

#2576 Jul 30, 2013
Hesper wrote:
That's what you get for buying discount gas at grocery stores.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2577 Jul 30, 2013
Hesper wrote:
It's simple: Your 3-year/36,000-mi warranty just expired.
Lui

United States

#2578 Jul 31, 2013
Bought use old style malibu and sometimes wont start cause of key not been original i believe or could it be the ignition switch. I have to by pass the theft system in order to turn vehicle on but this takes about 10-30 minutes. Any help would be appreciated.... Thanks!!
Faye

United States

#2579 Aug 2, 2013
2006 Chevy Malibu LS, and my back tail lights are constantly blinking on and off while I'm driving down the road.
lance

Elbridge, NY

#2580 Aug 5, 2013
e brake switch
lance

Elbridge, NY

#2581 Aug 5, 2013
kyodi wrote:
<quoted text>
My '03 Malibu has just started doing this as well. Fluid level is perfect, and the pedal is up as far as it can go. The car thinks the brake is still engaged because the "BRAKE" is on and the automatic headlights won't turn on. The brake is in NO WAY engaged. Any ideas???
try the ebrake switch it turns on wene ebrake is applied and should some how be conected to e brake pedal or lever
jtc

Chicago, IL

#2582 Aug 5, 2013
I have a 2000 malibu with 295000 miles had it for two years put 100000 miles on it in that time never have had a single problem I run it very hard but maintain it well
Joe the Mechanic

Columbus, OH

#2583 Aug 5, 2013
lance wrote:
<quoted text> try the ebrake switch it turns on wene ebrake is applied and should some how be conected to e brake pedal or lever
Faye indicated her TAIL LIGHTS were blinking off and on. Neither the parking brake nor the brake pedal will illuminate the tail lights. While the parking brake (aka ebrake) has a switch that illuminates an indicator light on the dash display, it does NOT illuminate the brake lights... the brake pedal does this. The 2006 Malibu brake pedal does not have a switch but instead uses a position sensor fitted with a potentiometer that varies the electrical resistance as the brake pedal is depressed or released.
Joe the Mechanic

Columbus, OH

#2584 Aug 5, 2013
Faye wrote:
2006 Chevy Malibu LS, and my back tail lights are constantly blinking on and off while I'm driving down the road.
Possible loose tail lamp fuse. Fuse should be located in the fuse box next to the battery. The owner's manual and the inside of the fuse box cover should have a diagram to help located the specific fuse. Push the fuse in to verify that it is fully seated.

Possible loose electrical connection at the fuse box or headlamp control switch (tail lights illuminate anytime headlamps are on).

Possible defective headlamp control switch. Troubleshooting requires removal from dashboard.

Possible electrical short within the wiring between fuse box and headlamp control switch or between the headlamp control switch and tail lamps. Can require extensive troubleshooting to locate the short.

Possible defective automatic headlamp control sensor (tiny plastic dome on top center of dash at bottom of windshield) but unlikely unless headlamps are also blinking on & off.

The worst case scenario is a problem with the BODY Control Module (BCM) which controls all of the electrical systems including the tail lamps. Such a problem could be fixed with reprogramming or it could require replacement.

Hopefully you can get it fixed easily as the tail lamps are a critical safety item not to mention they can get you a traffic fine.
zak

Columbus, OH

#2585 Aug 6, 2013
Faye wrote:
It's a warning for anyone following you to stay as far back as possible because you're driving a Malibu.

Since: Aug 13

Eugene, OR

#2586 Aug 19, 2013
I have a 2008 Chevy Malibu. The A/C works intermittedly. When it quits, the temp guage also goes to 0. I can disconnect the battery and the AC will work for awhile. I believe i have some type of sending unit problem. Can any1 tell what the sending unit is, what it is called, and if its something I could do myself. Thanks

John

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Autopsy, toxicology report on Michael Brown 36 min Rob 147
Where has Rowdy been 1 hr Old Neighbor 3
Barack Hussein Obama Hates Black People (Jan '14) 1 hr shane 26
President Ebola 1 hr Neutral Party 701
Any kinky ladies? 2 hr curious 1
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 3 hr tjm 982
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 3 hr tjm 3,974
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus Jobs