Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ... Full Story
Tony

Hollywood, FL

#2547 Jun 9, 2013
V_A_D2008 wrote:
I bought a 2004 Malibu and one day my cd player stopped working and now says lock, although i did nothing to it... It has my fav. cd stuck in it but when i press eject is says no disc... HOw can I get this fixed without having to buy a new cd player or taking it to the dealer and spending 80 bucks? Someone please help me
Try disconnecting the battery for 10-15 min then connecting it back, turning key in position 3 and hit eject on the cd player. Should work.
Bub

Columbus, OH

#2548 Jun 9, 2013
Alex wrote:
Ive been recently having problems with most of the electric things in my panel(gas meter, temperature, weather temperature etc) anybody has the same problems??
No I've not been having any problems with the electric things in your panel.
Bub

Columbus, OH

#2549 Jun 9, 2013
Jman wrote:
I have an 06 Malibu, 4door and get water in the truck where the spare is held. The piece of wood covering the tire with carpet got ruined twice and I dnt see where the water comes from because it is only the very bottom in the trunk that fills up when it rains not the actual truck sides,
..! Any suggestion ??
Close your trunk lid when it's raining.
Bub

Columbus, OH

#2550 Jun 9, 2013
mdamian wrote:
What causes the brake light to stay on a 1999 Chevy Malibu 3.1
Keeping your foot on the brake pedal.
Bub

Columbus, OH

#2551 Jun 9, 2013
Logan wrote:
I have a 2010 Chevy malibu lt, and when i go to start it, it chuggs, and if started doing that right after i put gas in it, so i thought i got water in the tank, but i put a couple of bottles of gas-line antifreeze and clears moisture, and it seemed to be running fine, but this morning i went to start it and it chugged again, and i dont know if its the fuel sensor thats broken or not, i could get to the sensor, in my garage
Go to your local auto parts store and ask for a 12-oz bottle of Presto Chug Stop.
Bub

Columbus, OH

#2552 Jun 9, 2013
tipmarley wrote:
Is there anyone which might know of wats going on cuz I'm tryna get the car fixed without having to go to a dealership.
I'll take a wild ass guess: something's broken.
Bub

Columbus, OH

#2553 Jun 9, 2013
Tony wrote:
<quoted text>
Try disconnecting the battery for 10-15 min then connecting it back, turning key in position 3 and hit eject on the cd player. Should work.
If that doesn't work, remove your CD player and soak it in a bucket of used motor oil overnight.
Emily

Omaha, NE

#2554 Jun 20, 2013
1998 Chevy Malibu. Randomly beeps. Sound is like when the door is open; no doors are ever open. The sound comes when I'm driving. Sometimes it'll stop on its own, other times I have turned off the car and turned it back on and the sound goes away...Also, a clicking sound comes from the dash every so often. This sound is like the blinker noise, but the click is faster and happens when the blinker isn't on. This noises are so annoying! Any help would be great.
Art

Rio Rancho, NM

#2555 Jun 21, 2013
cdiphil wrote:
My 2005 malibu classic was in a small fender bumper accident...left headlight and support damaged. I replaced the headlight. However, the light is significantly dimmer than the right headlight. I have tried different bulbs - same issue. Where do I go from here in diagnosing problem.
Check your ground wires. It sounds like your light is not properly grounded.
Joe the Mechanic

Columbus, OH

#2556 Jun 21, 2013
Emily wrote:
1998 Chevy Malibu. Randomly beeps. Sound is like when the door is open; no doors are ever open. The sound comes when I'm driving. Sometimes it'll stop on its own, other times I have turned off the car and turned it back on and the sound goes away...Also, a clicking sound comes from the dash every so often. This sound is like the blinker noise, but the click is faster and happens when the blinker isn't on. This noises are so annoying! Any help would be great.
The clicking noise is likely a defective 4-way flasher switch. GM had a big problem with these in older Malibus. Since yours is long out of warranty, you should be able to get an aftermarket replacement at most any auto parts store for around $30. You can also get one at a GM dealer but it may cost more. Replacing the switch is pretty straightforward and takes maybe 15 mins at most.

The beep/chime you hear may be a bad parking brake switch. This switch makes the same sound as the door beep/chime if you try to drive with the parking brake engaged... if this switch is bad, it will sound the warning beep/chime even when the brake is disengaged. Another source could be nothing more than low brake fluid in the master cylinder reservoir. As your brake pads wear down over time, the brake fluid level goes down as well. When the fluid goes below a specified level, it will trigger a warning beep/chime. Yet another source may be your low fuel warning switch which could be malfunctioning as fuel moves in the tank. You could also have a bad door switch which is intermittently triggered by road vibration while driving. The most common problem for erratic warning beeps/chimes/buzzers is a malfunction body control module (BCM) which controls them and become more prone to failure as the car gets older. A GM dealership is normally the primary source for troubleshooting and reprogramming the BCM due to the cost of BCM scanning tools. If a brand new BCM is installed it still must be specifically programmed for your car. You could be looking at several hundred dollars to troubleshoot the electrical problem and another $500-plus for a new BCM if needed.
Mike

Lees Summit, MO

#2557 Jul 5, 2013
We have a 2004 Malibu Maxx LT. Left turn signal is the problem. What does the flashers look like and where are they located....? I think that is the problems but can not find to replace.
Taz

Columbus, OH

#2558 Jul 7, 2013
Mike wrote:
We have a 2004 Malibu Maxx LT. Left turn signal is the problem. What does the flashers look like and where are they located....? I think that is the problems but can not find to replace.
Your 4-way hazard relay also functions as your turn signal relay. The relay is located directly behind your 4-way hazard button. Remove the dash panel trim around the 4-way hazard button and the relay is held in place by a plastic clip. The wiring connector should also have a release clip. It's super easy to replace.
Ginko

Columbus, OH

#2559 Jul 7, 2013
Mike wrote:
Your Malibu doesn't have a turn signal flasher like the mechanical type that makes the clicking noise heard in older pre-2000 cars. The Malibu turn signal is controlled by the 4-way hazard relay and the clicking noise is electronically generated through the car's audio system with sound coming from the driver's side door speaker. As noted by Taz above, replacement is quite easy.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2560 Jul 7, 2013
Replacement of the entire piece of GM junk would be preferable.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#2561 Jul 7, 2013
-tip- wrote:
Replacement of the entire piece of GM junk would be preferable.
That's what your mother said about you.

woof

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

#2562 Jul 7, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
That's what your mother said about you.
woof
Damn, douche...you're so off the wall tonight that you're stalking Tip on an automotive thread.
You are losing it.
cheryl

Phoenix, AZ

#2563 Jul 11, 2013
I have 2003 Malibu and had a crazy experience with it. Hit my brakes within 2 minutes car overheats, light comes on and car shuts off. I try starting it 3 times and its a no go. So I tried turning heater on for bit, that brings temps down, but that didn't work at all..So just sat there for 10 minutes and waited. After 10 minutes turned key over and heat gage went down, so I started it and as I'm driving off the heat gage is going lower and lower. So drove it 25 miles and it was fine..Well I will see whats happens later in the day..Of course I live in AZ!!! HEAT no bueno! damn malibu's and their crazy acts.
Joe the Mechanic

Columbus, OH

#2564 Jul 11, 2013
cheryl wrote:
I have 2003 Malibu and had a crazy experience with it. Hit my brakes within 2 minutes car overheats, light comes on and car shuts off. I try starting it 3 times and its a no go. So I tried turning heater on for bit, that brings temps down, but that didn't work at all..So just sat there for 10 minutes and waited. After 10 minutes turned key over and heat gage went down, so I started it and as I'm driving off the heat gage is going lower and lower. So drove it 25 miles and it was fine..Well I will see whats happens later in the day..Of course I live in AZ!!! HEAT no bueno! damn malibu's and their crazy acts.
Take the brakes out of the equation as they have nothing to do with the engine overheating. The symptoms you describe sounds like nothing more than a failing cooling system thermostat. The thermostat is supposed to open at 195 degrees to allow coolant to pass from the engine to the radiator. As a thermostat ages after a few years, its spring can weaken and fail to open properly resulting in a quickly overheating engine. A replacement thermostat costs around $10 or less at any auto parts store and labor shouldn't take more than an hour depending on how accessible your thermostat housing is (access varies between engine types).
Hmmm

Logan, WV

#2565 Jul 15, 2013
I've got an 02 Malibu that I've had for over 6 years. When I first got the car it had 71K and it's got almost 160K. First, the hazard switch went out and had to pay $103 dollars to have it replaced because it was a dealer part only at the time. Second, I kept having trouble with the brake pads and rotors. I was having to change pads every year and they'd warp the rotors and I'd have to have them turned every year. So I ended up getting cross drilled and slotted rotors and ceramic brake pads and they work a lot better than stock. My manifold intake gasket blew and I couldn't drive my car home. My dad fixed it and it was $300. My brake caliper got stuck and it ate my pad but didn't do a thing to the rotors. My rear signal light quit working. I took it to a mechanic and it wasn't the circuit panel or the assembly under the dash, so back to the dealer it will go because the mechanic said it's most likely a computer problem.
raeraered

Newport, KY

#2566 Jul 15, 2013
Dave E wrote:
I have misplaced my 2004 Malibu manual a warning light on the dash came on with the shilotte of a car and a wrench in the middle of the car can someone tell what this means.
Thanks
it means check your engine...service repair.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Grove City: Sippy-cup shoplifting results in ro... 26 min yeah baby yeah 1
BREAKING: Ferguson GJ Ruling Reached 34 min WTH 18
Columbus Tutors Turn to Tech to Engage Students 1 hr heathw12 5
Wilson 's "injuries" 2 hr White cop 15
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr White Man 4,595
[OH] Columbus Police Officer Richard Evans arre... (Jan '10) 3 hr Dillon Evans 7
SeriousLady, BizzyBee, Catman Rowdy , everybody... 3 hr d pantz 27
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 9 hr prayers 2,518
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:01 am PST