Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ... Full Story
need to know

United States

#2487 Dec 31, 2012
Cigarette lighter in 2005 Chevy halibut came out of socket. The wires are still connected. How do you tighten it up?
need to know

United States

#2488 Dec 31, 2012
I meant 2005 Chevy Malibu.
Frank T

Harlingen, TX

#2489 Jan 3, 2013
I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu and all of the rear light are not working except for the Turn signals. Could it be a breaker, also the indicator lights are not working either. Could this also be associated with a breaker.

Since: Jan 13

Clovis, CA

#2490 Jan 3, 2013
Horn Alarm Issue wrote:
My Malibu Maxx horn alarm goes off for no apparent reason. It happened to me sporadically in the past but would always clear up, but now...I can't lock the door and walk away for 10 mins without the alarm sounding. Any ideas? Is there a way to shut off the horn alarm so I can still lock my doors without having my neighbors take up arms against me?
* I had the same issue, and replaced the fuse for the horn. Although the noise stopped, the horn decides if it wants to work or not, when its needed. I have so many other issues with this car also. There should be a class action law suit for all the costs for repairs, and hazards on this make/model.

Clovis, CA

#2491 Jan 3, 2013
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
It' not a matter of should you give it back to them.... it's a matter of you can't. When you buy a used car, you roll the dice.
True! I learned the hard way. I was suckered into thinking my 04 Malibu Maxx was a great family car, and well worth the money. HA! As soon as I got the papers in the mail, my car started acting possessed. I first replaced the fuel pump assembly, due to the fumes almost killing my newborn, then the brakes, struts, lights, fuses, I have electrical problems (locks go up and down on their own, horn honks on its own, radio ate my discs and is playing peek a boo, etc.) I found out that a lot is on recall list, but not for the 04.
Joop

Columbus, OH

#2492 Jan 3, 2013
Flaca1977 wrote:
<quoted text>
True! I learned the hard way. I was suckered into thinking my 04 Malibu Maxx was a great family car, and well worth the money. HA! As soon as I got the papers in the mail, my car started acting possessed. I first replaced the fuel pump assembly, due to the fumes almost killing my newborn, then the brakes, struts, lights, fuses, I have electrical problems (locks go up and down on their own, horn honks on its own, radio ate my discs and is playing peek a boo, etc.) I found out that a lot is on recall list, but not for the 04.
Since your problems started when you got the papers in the mail, I'd send the papers back.

Clovis, CA

#2493 Jan 3, 2013
Joop wrote:
<quoted text>
Since your problems started when you got the papers in the mail, I'd send the papers back.
Trust me, I tried. The lot I purchased the car from closed up shop almost immediately. The only car there was my old Ford Taurus, which had a bad motor. The owner supposedly ran off to his home country. I tried to plead with the finance company, but no luck there. The car is now officially mine, and I don't want it lol. I've been doing some research, and it seems that most people who have/had a Malibu Maxx, has had the same issues I have. Something tells me there is a lawsuit in the works....

“Cats rule.”

Since: Dec 09

Chardon Ohio.

#2494 Jan 3, 2013
Flaca1977 wrote:
<quoted text>
Trust me, I tried. The lot I purchased the car from closed up shop almost immediately. The only car there was my old Ford Taurus, which had a bad motor. The owner supposedly ran off to his home country. I tried to plead with the finance company, but no luck there. The car is now officially mine, and I don't want it lol. I've been doing some research, and it seems that most people who have/had a Malibu Maxx, has had the same issues I have. Something tells me there is a lawsuit in the works....
Thats why you should have bought a Toyota Camry.You wont have problems at all with that car.
wtf

Hendersonville, NC

#2495 Jan 3, 2013
wtf
Kristi

Denver, CO

#2496 Jan 3, 2013
Severino Ruiz wrote:
My 2002 Chevy Malibu started beeping on me. The beepin sounds like its comin from my drivers side front door. I tried takein out the fuses but nothin happened. I think it has somethin to do with my doors. Can someone please help me out.
I have the same problem with my 2001 Malibu, and I have narrowed it down to having to do with my automatic locking system. When I turn on my car and put it in R or D, usually the doors automatically lock, now it just beeps at me and occasionally locks. Also, when you put your car in park and turn off the engine, all the doors are supposed to unlock, but that has not been happening consistently either. I think it's an electrical problem somewhere, not just a fuse problem. It's a 12 year old car, so I can't say I'm surprised, but not sure if it's worth fixing... The automatic locks have been finicky for awhile now, so that is also an issue, but I remember that if I ever pressed the auto-lock button twice instead of just once it would beep at me and now it's the same beep but more of them.

“Cats rule.”

Since: Dec 09

Chardon Ohio.

#2497 Jan 3, 2013
Kristi wrote:
<quoted text>
I have the same problem with my 2001 Malibu, and I have narrowed it down to having to do with my automatic locking system. When I turn on my car and put it in R or D, usually the doors automatically lock, now it just beeps at me and occasionally locks. Also, when you put your car in park and turn off the engine, all the doors are supposed to unlock, but that has not been happening consistently either. I think it's an electrical problem somewhere, not just a fuse problem. It's a 12 year old car, so I can't say I'm surprised, but not sure if it's worth fixing... The automatic locks have been finicky for awhile now, so that is also an issue, but I remember that if I ever pressed the auto-lock button twice instead of just once it would beep at me and now it's the same beep but more of them.
Then try putting it in x y or z.Then go buy a toyota.
FedUp

United States

#2498 Jan 23, 2013
2002 Malibu - gas gauge, temperature gauge and automatic locks do not work.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2499 Jan 23, 2013
FedUp wrote:
Consider yourself lucky.
They've lasted longer than expected.
Rick

Fenton, MI

#2500 Jan 23, 2013
Have a 2002 malibu bought for my daughter.First the radio power does not shut off,which drains the battery.unplugged ignition still power to the radio, also hold foot on brake with the car running after it warms up the security light comes on and the gas gauge and temp gauge stop working let foot off the break gauges come back on.restart car security light off and gauges work fine till i step on the brake again.just replaced the bcm and no help same problem.PLEASE HELP if you know anything about this problem e mail me at rvacardo@aol.com
Jake

Columbus, OH

#2501 Jan 23, 2013
FedUp wrote:
You have to take it to a GM dealer to have the Body Control Module reprogrammed. If that doesn't fix it, the module will have to be replaced. Replacement cost is $150 to $300 plus labor.

The Body Control Module controls the antitheft system, the HVAC system, and all instrument cluster gauges. It also regulates the power windows, locks, power seats, and interior lights.
Jake

Columbus, OH

#2502 Jan 24, 2013
Kristi wrote:
<quoted text>
Your automatic door locks are controlled by your car's Body Control Module. You have to take your car to a GM dealer to have the Body Control Module reprogrammed. If that doesn't fix it, the module will have to be replaced. Replacement cost is $150 to $300 plus labor.
Joe the mechanic

Columbus, OH

#2503 Jan 24, 2013
Rick wrote:
Have a 2002 malibu bought for my daughter.First the radio power does not shut off,which drains the battery.unplugged ignition still power to the radio, also hold foot on brake with the car running after it warms up the security light comes on and the gas gauge and temp gauge stop working let foot off the break gauges come back on.restart car security light off and gauges work fine till i step on the brake again.just replaced the bcm and no help same problem.PLEASE HELP if you know anything about this problem e mail me at rvacardo@aol.com
Did you replace the BCM yourself or did you have it done by a certified GM tech? The BCM has to be programmed after installation and normally this must be accomplished by a GM dealership using the latest updates for your specific vehicle.
I hate GM

Columbus, OH

#2504 Jan 27, 2013
I offered a car thief a thousand bucks to steal my Malibu but he said that wasn't enough money.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2505 Jan 27, 2013
I hate GM wrote:
I offered a car thief a thousand bucks to steal my Malibu but he said that wasn't enough money.
LOL...there's a reason GM is not self-sustaining.
Scott

Mount Holly, NC

#2506 Jan 28, 2013
The problem lies withen the hazard button. pop the cover button off and then use two flat head screwdrivers and insert in the top and bottom slots of the module... press the tabs in and pull out.. the module will slide out.. disconnect and replace with new one.. costs about 20 bucks..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama thinks race relations are better? 7 min Neutral Party 2
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 20 min Neutral Party 4,976
African American Male Initiative seeks to help ... 22 min Duke for Mayor 17
COPS lives MATTER 25 min Duke for Mayor 224
Critics ignore benefits of cameras 5 hr -The-Artist- 5
How to treat diblasio trash 8 hr They cannot kill ... 2
Where has Rowdy been? 8 hr They cannot kill ... 5
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus