Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & S...

Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

There are 2786 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

Mark

Brunswick, OH

#2467 Dec 9, 2012
My 98 Chevy Malibu cranks but will not start.

“Cats rule.”

Since: Dec 09

Chardon Ohio.

#2468 Dec 9, 2012
When are you people going to get smart and buy a Toyota?

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#2469 Dec 9, 2012
There's a reason GM needed a taxpayer bailout...and is still failing.

“Cats rule.”

Chardon Ohio.

#2470 Dec 9, 2012
-tip- wrote:
There's a reason GM needed a taxpayer bailout...and is still failing.
I had 2 Toyota camry's with over 250,000 miles on them with no problems at all.
hahahahahaha

Columbus, OH

#2471 Dec 9, 2012
Catman Dave wrote:
<quoted text>I had 2 Toyota camry's with over 250,000 miles on them with no problems at all.
That's a good thing because it's hard for convicts to finance new cars.

“Cats rule.”

Chardon Ohio.

#2472 Dec 9, 2012
hahahahahaha wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a good thing because it's hard for convicts to finance new cars.
I'm not a convict you f n child mollester.
hahahahahaha

Columbus, OH

#2473 Dec 9, 2012
Catman Dave wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not a convict you f n child mollester.
Meow.
hahahahahaha

Columbus, OH

#2474 Dec 9, 2012
Catman Dave wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not a convict you f n child mollester.
You're not now but you WERE by your own words.
Malibu zimmie

United States

#2475 Dec 15, 2012
I have a 01 malibu that I replaced the head gaskets on, due to antifreeze in the oil. Also replaced intake manifold gaskets. Once I was finished, started car and now has a very bad valve ticking problem. And also surges at 4000 rpm. Can anyone help.
zak

Columbus, OH

#2476 Dec 16, 2012
Mark wrote:
My 98 Chevy Malibu cranks but will not start.
Don't be concerned. That's perfectly normal for a Malibu.
Mike

Freeport, ME

#2477 Dec 19, 2012
Sue wrote:
Just bought a 2004 Malibu and the door lock and the trunk release don't work. I found a fuse box under the hood, but have no manual. How can I find the fuses? I can't open the trunk w/the key. It won't go in all the way, feels like something might be stuck in the lock.
the seats should fold down from the back seat and the fuse box for that is in the trunk on the drivers side it's a box that unclips there u will find the trunk release fuse its like # 38 I think
Mike

Freeport, ME

#2478 Dec 19, 2012
It's relay #36 in the trunk sorry
Josh

Columbus, OH

#2479 Dec 19, 2012
Malibu zimmie wrote:
I have a 01 malibu that I replaced the head gaskets on, due to antifreeze in the oil. Also replaced intake manifold gaskets. Once I was finished, started car and now has a very bad valve ticking problem. And also surges at 4000 rpm. Can anyone help.
TICKING:

Is the oil level correct and is the oil viscosity correct?

Were the valve lifters re-installed in their ORIGINAL location?

Were the valves properly adjusted and tightened during re-installation?

SURGE:

Are all vacuum lines properly re-connected and not cracked? Even slight looseness or a hairline crack can become problematic as the vacuum level increases in conjunction with increased RPM.

Is the throttle body assembly securely tightened to prevent air leaks at its mounting point?

During engine re-assembly, were all bolts properly torqued to factory specs with a torque wrench or did someone use their "calibrated wrist" instead?

Were all manifold and head bolts tightened in the proper sequence (criss-cross pattern, etc.) or just randomly tightened?

Were bolt holes cleaned out with compressed air to remove debris prior to re-assembly in order to prevent interference when tightening bolts?

Were the intake/exhaust gaskets also replaced and properly torqued?

Was gasket sealant improperly used on a dry gasket that doesn't require sealant? If so, this can cause the new gasket to leak.
jeff

Cropseyville, NY

#2480 Dec 23, 2012
Webb wrote:
Does anyone know what would cause the turn signals on a 2005 Chevy Malibu with 80,000 miles to blow out every 2-3 months after replacement? I have made sure to get the correct replacement bulbs. And the connections look good. Any ideas will help.
Thanks.
I had that problem as well. Turns out I could fix the problem by just popping the bulb out and sticking back in after turning it 180 degrees. Essentially I just reversed the electrical contact points, this probably isn't te best fix, but is a fix. I have an 05 malibu.
Richard

Toledo, OH

#2481 Dec 25, 2012
I was backed into by a guy with a jeep Cherokee accidently while I was getting gas. The light crash broke my L side headlight bezel but not the headlight. I drive a 99 Chevy malibu where as soon as the car starts the headlights turn on well now they don't but after putting it in any gear they come on but the rear tail lamps are off completely. Is this a block fuse? Also the side that got tapped is brighter than the right
Joe the mechanic

Columbus, OH

#2482 Dec 25, 2012
Richard wrote:
I was backed into by a guy with a jeep Cherokee accidently while I was getting gas. The light crash broke my L side headlight bezel but not the headlight. I drive a 99 Chevy malibu where as soon as the car starts the headlights turn on well now they don't but after putting it in any gear they come on but the rear tail lamps are off completely. Is this a block fuse? Also the side that got tapped is brighter than the right
Your daytime running lamp system should illuminate the headlights anytime the vehicle is placed into gear. This uses a lower voltage than normal in order to prolong bulb life which means the headlights don't shine as brightly as normal. The daytime running lamp system does NOT illuminate the tail lamps or side markers. There is a fuse for the daytime running lamp system but you'll need to check your owner's manual or search online for the specific location.

Your automatic headlamp system (if equipped) turns on the headlights, tail lights, and side markers when ambient light falls below a preset threshold. On some vehicles there is a built-in minimal time delay to compensate for driving thru tunnels, etc. If your vehicle is equipped with this system, you should see a small clear plastic half-bubble on your center upper dashboard near the windshield.

Double-check your parking brake to verify that it is fully released as the brake includes a microswitch designed to deactivate the headlamps whenever it is applied.

The headlamp appearing brighter after being struck sounds like nothing more than a result of it being knocked out of alignment.
sojo88

United States

#2483 Dec 26, 2012
linguini1ny wrote:
I just bought an 03 Malibu in May and discovered neither of the two cigarette lighter ports work. I checked the fuse and it looks good. What else could I check?q
Did you ever get a straight answer on the CIG lighter issue. I have the same problem. Everything's connected and the fuse is good, but no power at the socket.
Joe the mechanic

Columbus, OH

#2484 Dec 27, 2012
sojo88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you ever get a straight answer on the CIG lighter issue. I have the same problem. Everything's connected and the fuse is good, but no power at the socket.
Make sure you're checking the lighter socket with the ignition turned to ACCY or RUN as power to the socket is automatically turned off approx 15 minutes after the ignition is turned off in order to prevent battery drain.

Otherwise troubleshooting is simple. Disconnect the wiring from the socket and test with a multimeter. If power checks good, simply replace the socket. If no power or a bad ground is indicated, chase the wiring to find the problem.
Cathy

Winnipeg, Canada

#2485 Dec 28, 2012
I have a 2002 Malibu and the light went out under the gear shift where you see p for park, R for reverse etc. How do you replace the light bulb so once again we can see P R D etc in the dark?
billy bob

Columbus, OH

#2486 Dec 28, 2012
Cathy wrote:
I have a 2002 Malibu and the light went out under the gear shift where you see p for park, R for reverse etc. How do you replace the light bulb so once again we can see P R D etc in the dark?
Q: How do you replace the gear shift indicator light bulb?

A: Remove the old bulb and install a new one.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Serial batterers: Repeat domestic-violence offe... (Nov '09) 35 min Jay 85
Arby's ground zero in war on cops 38 min d pants 7
Obama rated 5th best POTUS in history! 1 hr d pants 78
News Community 3 hr El Chapo 3
Poll Who Do You Support For President 3 hr El Chapo 410
They're Shooting News Reporters On Live TV 3 hr El Chapo 93
Poll ISSUE 3 - Marijuana Reform In Ohio - How will y... 5 hr dpx55 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages