Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & S...

Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions

There are 2876 comments on the Edmunds.com story from Feb 20, 2006, titled Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions. In it, Edmunds.com reports that:

Created by KarenS in the Maintenance & Repair Message Board. Your Host is mr_shiftright What is this discussion about? Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu Maxx, Sedan, Electric, Engine # 2962 of 2971 Visor and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Edmunds.com.

zane

Columbus, OH

#2404 Aug 30, 2012
My 2006 Malibu gave me fits until I sold it.
hmmmmm

Columbus, OH

#2405 Aug 30, 2012
yep
jorge

United States

#2406 Aug 31, 2012
car stop working on drive
Eegor

United States

#2407 Sep 3, 2012
I have 2 malibu issues. First is my '99 malibu has an issue with the blinkers/hazards, the fuse has been replaced (annoyingly located behind the hazard button) but the bonkers and hazards still won't work.... Any ideas?

The second is with an automatic '97 malibu that makes a dash light 'ding' sound when ever its shifted from Park to Drive or any gear into drive. No idea what it could be from. Please help me
zak

Columbus, OH

#2408 Sep 3, 2012
Eegor wrote:
I have 2 malibu issues. First is my '99 malibu has an issue with the blinkers/hazards, the fuse has been replaced (annoyingly located behind the hazard button) but the bonkers and hazards still won't work.... Any ideas?
The second is with an automatic '97 malibu that makes a dash light 'ding' sound when ever its shifted from Park to Drive or any gear into drive. No idea what it could be from. Please help me
That 'ding' sound is an audio chip that GM installed in every Malibu to simulate the sound of an old fashioned cash register as you keep spending money to fix it.
zak

Columbus, OH

#2409 Sep 3, 2012
jorge wrote:
car stop working on drive
That's a normal condition for a Malibu.
jumpimgjack

Canton, GA

#2410 Sep 6, 2012
2002 malibu running hot fans wont come on
jumpimgjack

Canton, GA

#2411 Sep 6, 2012
2002 malibu runs hot fans wont come on
zak

Columbus, OH

#2412 Sep 6, 2012
jumpimgjack wrote:
2002 malibu running hot fans wont come on
Perform the following steps in sequence:

(1) Start the engine and run it until it gets hot to confirm fans do not operate.(2) Turn the engine off.(3) Exit the vehicle and walk approximately 10 feet.(4) Turn to face the vehicle.(5) Ask yourself why in hell you purchased such a piece of shit.
Conservative

Greenville, OH

#2413 Sep 6, 2012
The best car I ever owned was a Chevy Malibu. New in 71 and drove it for 17 years.
boopie

Columbus, OH

#2414 Sep 6, 2012
Conservative wrote:
The best car I ever owned was a Chevy Malibu. New in 71 and drove it for 17 years.
If the best car you ever owned was a Chevy Malibu, the rest of your cars were definitely pure crap.

You drove it for 17 years? Wow that's an awfully long road trip. Where did you go?
Lashun

United States

#2415 Sep 15, 2012
I have the same problem and I took it to the shop n they said the codes popped up abs.. Which the cost.is $740 to fix.. Good luck
Dre

Belzoni, MS

#2416 Sep 18, 2012
kmoss wrote:
I have a 06 malibu and it has this awful rotten egg smell? There is no check engine light on so i am confused on what it could be? Also the trunk leaks and noticed that the floor bord behind the passanger seat is soaked as well???? anyone else have this problem?
the smell is from my o2 censor
Tom Nickerson

Halifax, Canada

#2417 Sep 24, 2012
all Malibu owner should protest gm to fix the rust problem by the gas cap. .they would prob be out of business .
Tom Nickerson

Halifax, Canada

#2418 Sep 24, 2012
all a
Malibu owners should protest gm for the rust issue around the filler cap as well as the falty gaskets they put in the motor as they started to leak after 90000 kms.
zak

Columbus, OH

#2419 Sep 24, 2012
Tom Nickerson wrote:
all Malibu owner should protest gm to fix the rust problem by the gas cap..they would prob be out of business .
The gas filler cap rust problem can be easily corrected with paint remover as follows:

(1) Roll down driver's window.

(2) While standing outside your driver's door, pour a gallon of paint remover all over the interior of the car.

(3) Light a match and toss it inside the car.
zak

Columbus, OH

#2420 Sep 24, 2012
Tom Nickerson wrote:
all a
Malibu owners should protest gm for the rust issue around the filler cap as well as the falty gaskets they put in the motor as they started to leak after 90000 kms.
The gaskets are intentionally designed to leak. This ensures the engine oil remains fresh as it must be continuously topped off with new oil. Leakage of at least one litre per week is considered optimum.
Cookie

Charlotte, NC

#2421 Oct 4, 2012
I have a 99 Chevy Malibu, I been having a problem sense the transmission pan was replaced. Where when I put her in drive it takes a minute for the car to begin moving in her own power, but then runs just fine. A few times it was hard for me to get her out of park and my husband had to do it.(On level ground). Two days ago I was at the atm and moved forward cut my car off and counted my money. I turned the car back on (normal) struggled to put her in any gear and when she finally went there was apsolutely no power to Reverse and Drive - I ended up putting 5 quarts of transmission fluid in her and got power to 3 and then took her home. I can not drive her now and she has no leaks from what I seen. But its always possible I missed it. But are these related? How do I fix it? What do you think it is?
greg

United States

#2422 Oct 4, 2012
Have a 2004 Chevy Malibu classic headlights will not shut off when ignition off or light switch off. have to pull fuses or unhook battery.
dre

Dublin, NH

#2423 Oct 5, 2012
stoyne wrote:
I have an 06 Malibu. It does have its quirks. The steering is an issue in the cold, if I get on the gas peddle too much the instrument panel lights come on, bells ring and the steering locks up. Also there is an irritating noise the comes from the passenger side windshield area when I am driving. Does anyone have the answers to any of these issues?
its the platic molding on the out side of the wind sheild on the lower half behind the wiper blades. it rattles against the w s .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
This Forum Does No Such Thing! 1 min Posting as myself 3
No Life, But Topix. 22 min Pam 24
Trump the Liar 35 min Pale Rider 929
Is Drumpf Campaign Chief A Voter Fraud Felon? 3 hr Pale Rider 4
News Hillary Clinton tops Donald Trump in battlegrou... 3 hr d pants 258
Should the GOP cut its loses? 6 hr Male 902
Please help me find the love of my life 8 hr Trenton 7

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance