Luna County sorts through 22 applican...

Luna County sorts through 22 applicants for manager's post

There are 15 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Aug 17, 2011, titled Luna County sorts through 22 applicants for manager's post. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

Twenty-two applicants from private and public sectors across the midwest and locally have responded to the Luna County advertisement for county manager.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

Missing Liz

Phoenix, AZ

#1 Aug 18, 2011
Too bad the late convicted druggie Liz Bernal of the SCGOG hasn't dried out yet...she has some expertise and can flash the leg.

She could have sat in the same Luna County chairs as one of her multiple ex's...how exciting would that have been?
Linda

Las Cruces, NM

#2 Aug 19, 2011
The commission is already posed to hire the chick.
something fishy

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Aug 19, 2011
The headline says there are 22 applicants by I only counted 21. Who is #22? Are the commissioners trying to pull a fast one on the citizens or what? Things like this is why there is so much distrust.
Maria

Huntsville, AL

#4 Aug 19, 2011
Linda wrote:
The commission is already posed to hire the chick.
Is the chic they are talking about Liz Bernal of the SCGOG that the Commission will be hiring?
dusty deming

Rio Rancho, NM

#5 Aug 21, 2011
Hmm ... This is the group from which we have to pick a new county manager? Quick, get John back before he leaves town!
Bar-F

United States

#6 Aug 22, 2011
Interesting that the County planner put in an application. I mean has he even had his job for a whole six months yet and he already wants out or wants more cash?
Sutherland made out like a bandit with his nifty severance package.
remotecontrol

Milford, OH

#7 Aug 22, 2011
That's quite an assortment of talent to respond to this job. Requirements are either vague or these people applying must feel they have the flexibility to do whatever is asked of them.
Grey Matter

United States

#8 Aug 22, 2011
It is indeed shocking to see the range of experience of those who applied. Do some believe they can do the job with no experience in management of city, county or state government? Perhaps they believe the current commissioners place no value on previous experience or training, and will choose the new manager on other criteria. If this is true, we are in for some very bad years from the commission and the manager. Another possible reason poorly qualified applicants submitted their names is that perhaps they believe no really good applicants will apply and with luck and contacts they will be selected. I also submit that some applicants know about these commissioners and rate their ability to choose wisely very low, thereby increasing their chances of selection even without strong qualifications.

We will learn much about our future by who is offered the job and perhaps as much by who is willing to accept the offer.
Chico

Tempe, AZ

#9 Aug 22, 2011
Grey Matter (above: Good analysis!
remotecontrol

Milford, OH

#10 Aug 23, 2011
Grey Matter wrote:
It is indeed shocking to see the range of experience of those who applied. Do some believe they can do the job with no experience in management of city, county or state government? Perhaps they believe the current commissioners place no value on previous experience or training, and will choose the new manager on other criteria. If this is true, we are in for some very bad years from the commission and the manager. Another possible reason poorly qualified applicants submitted their names is that perhaps they believe no really good applicants will apply and with luck and contacts they will be selected. I also submit that some applicants know about these commissioners and rate their ability to choose wisely very low, thereby increasing their chances of selection even without strong qualifications.
We will learn much about our future by who is offered the job and perhaps as much by who is willing to accept the offer.
You do have a good analysis there. I just wonder why some of these people who do know the commissioners would want to work for a boss like that.
Grey Matter

United States

#11 Aug 23, 2011
Well, the latest is that the three Commissioners will have a small outside group review the credentials of the applicants and make a recommendation for a smaller group of finalists. The Commissioners will make the final selection and are not bound by the recommendations of this group. What does this mean? Possibly the Commissioners do not want to spend the time reading the folders of each applicant and they are having others do that chore. Or, more likely, they are covering their a** and can indicate this out side group supported whoever they try to hire. Is the outside group going to examine the applicants for those who "are a good fit"? A good "fit" is fitting with the three Commissioners and Program Directors not the members of the outside group! If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen Commissioners.
Glory is Picking WHO

United States

#12 Aug 24, 2011
Glory Johnson says she knows enough people to pick a committee...REALLY?(I found and read a Deming paper)
Whose idea was that? Normally people apply for the Committee. Oops! She would pick them...OH, MY! What are HER credentials?
What about other qualified folks, especially living outside Deming, in the south County area. Does Glory know them?
This whole process should be done in a very Professional way and this program, as proposed, is not looking good, Mr. Commissioners.
Joe public

United States

#13 Aug 25, 2011
I read the add and find it interesting that the people picked to help screen are past and present employees of the City.(A few of them anyway) Hofacket is an educated pick and seems to generate success in what ever he does, good guy, how ever the county does employee his services. So is that a bit of a conflict of interest? Ms Johnson..... can't seem to have her paper work ready for the meetings and is always going to get the paper work finished at a later date.'' I will get that to you''.
Did the people on this list submit a letter of interest in helping with this project? Or was this not open to the public for their imput? I honestly think they have already made up their mind and this is another smoke and mirrors deal.
Chico

Goodyear, AZ

#14 Aug 25, 2011
Joe public wrote:
I read the add and find it interesting that the people picked to help screen are past and present employees of the City.(A few of them anyway) Hofacket is an educated pick and seems to generate success in what ever he does, good guy, how ever the county does employee his services. So is that a bit of a conflict of interest? Ms Johnson..... can't seem to have her paper work ready for the meetings and is always going to get the paper work finished at a later date.'' I will get that to you''.
Did the people on this list submit a letter of interest in helping with this project? Or was this not open to the public for their imput? I honestly think they have already made up their mind and this is another smoke and mirrors deal.
Mike and Tom Bates are very honorable and perceptive individuals. My guess is that this committee will turn out to be a good move. Of course, the key is the quality of applicants and the county's willingness to hire the best or if there really are no very well qualified applicants to resolicit.
Joe public

United States

#15 Aug 25, 2011
Chico wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike and Tom Bates are very honorable and perceptive individuals. My guess is that this committee will turn out to be a good move. Of course, the key is the quality of applicants and the county's willingness to hire the best or if there really are no very well qualified applicants to resolicit.
I agree that Mike and Tom are good guys to have on board to help with this.This shows a little promise for the County. You bring up a good point in that if the applicants are not what the County needs the County can resolicit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Western New Mexico University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News WNMU to continue recruiting DACA students despi... 1 hr Susanna 7
News Town council approves restoration of the Silco ... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Tony Betterton 2
News Getting into the spirit of Christmas, a look at... (Dec '14) Dec '14 billie 1
News Alamogordo's Alameda Zoo Director Steve Diehl r... (Dec '14) Dec '14 Martin 1
News Gila EDA Roundtable hears updates from meeting ... (Jun '14) Jun '14 just asking 1
News Grant County residents get a whiff of rotten eggs (Jun '14) Jun '14 Zeke the Geek 1
News Branch school honors Dia de los Muertos (Oct '13) Oct '13 I love the southwest 1
More from around the web