WNMU sets enrollment record

Sep 17, 2010 Full story: Deming Headlight 6

Enrollment at Western New Mexico University has increased to a record high during the fall 2010 semester.

Full Story
K-Mart College

Silver City, NM

#1 Sep 17, 2010
That's in Deming, not T or C.

It's because Deming is located along I-10, and the City of Deming has never had any collegiate representation before WMNU getting established. Plus, the city and county added their financial contribution by converting the old K-Mart into a college campus (though the K-Mart Enter sign is still up at the parking lot).

T or C is a sad story. If enrollment is up, it means two people have registered per course instead of one - and in either case they'll cancel the course. WMNU tries to cut all corners. They'll try to broadcast using ITV from the Deming or Silver City location, or ask the Instructors to work for half the pay (which roughly comes to $7.00 per hr.). They've even hired "Instructors" who don't hold the required Master's Degree, plus 18 hrs. in the specialty to teach in T or C. That's the behavior accreditation councils penalize.

Now WMNU is in the headlines again: A Deming Instructor arrested for "inappropriately touching an underage adolescent".

What all that really tells you is to consider the quality of WMNU's education before sending your children or going there yourself. On-line programs can have better quality, and more in your control for attendance and completion of assignments. Otherwise, Las Cruces and El Paso still have the most educational opportunities.
Deming-ite

United States

#2 Sep 17, 2010
I'm sure this old K-Mart U has it's good points, but that wasn't the case for me some time ago when I wanted to take a class there.

On their spring schedule I saw an art class I thought I'd like to enroll in, I believe it was for 12 or 16 wks. at a cost of $125.00, and if 5 or more people signed up the class would start. Before signing up and paying, I asked the lady at K-Mart U if the instructor had submitted a supply list for the students. She quickly took a look around her office and told me he didn't submit one, so I signed up and wrote a check. I learned later I was the only one in Deming to sign up for this class, guess it didn't appeal to many people. I went back to K-Mart U to get a refund, but found they'd processed my check already and I'd have to wait, and wait I did. Don't think they should have cashed it without knowing if 5 people signed up, but maybe that's the way they do things. A little while later I get a phone call from the instructor asking me if I was still interested in this class, offering to teach it from his home (yeah, right), which I declined. I did ask him if he'd submitted a supply sheet, which he had, yet the lady said he didn't. I might have reconsidered taking this course for $125.00 plus a long supply list, so the lady misinformed me about that. Then had a long wait for my refund, plus an instructor that wanted to teach from his home, not an experience I'd like to repeat, and never signed up again for any other class.
ridgewoman

Silver City, NM

#3 Sep 17, 2010
My problems with WNMSU are multitude! Students (at Silver Campus) get stuck because 'advisors' don't seem to know what classes actually transfer from other institutions (out of state); so it takes 6 years to graduate instead of four due to the ineptness. There is one professor who is a racist and everyone knows this; but, she has tenure. If you are a caucasian ~ be careful when enrolling in art classes and Hispanic studies. I don't know what she is smoking; but she is a kook with tenure.
I taught at a Jr. College in California for 15 years; and, I must say this community college offered a higher quality of education at that level; and, with a few exceptions WNMSU falls short. There are exceptions; but the Arts Department needs a complete overhaul! We finally did get a student through the university; but, it was punitive because the student came in with good grades, degree; and, transferable classes that were not counted until the SIXTH year. The whole thing is just ridiculous. Now, another student friend is going through the same thing; he should have gotten out last June, but they wouldn't count some of the classes he took AT WNMSU with their advisors! This is insanity; no wonder the town doesn't work 'with' the school. It's really 3d world country stuff….
Speaker

Silver City, NM

#4 Sep 17, 2010
I concur, ridgewoman. Having taught at WMNU myself, I understand what you're talking about. And also being Caucasian, I ran into immediate problems when taking an A/V issue to the Director and hearing him suggest I had a "personality problem" with the Tech (and Dean's son) because my A/V problem wasn't addressed by the Tech professionally! In the Midwest where I've mostly taught, performance management is focused on behaviors, not personalities (which is how I've seen Hispanic managers "manage").

That Director was also the same idiot who replied, "Just get them through", when asked what to do when students enrolled in Public Speaking couldn''t speak English.

And when he poorly planned courses for the next semester, adding extra sections, then finding only 2-3 students enrolled in each class, he asked, "Would you teach two sections for half the pay"? No thanks, and goodbye, was my response.

I once saw an English Composition FINAL EXAM at the Deming Campus stating spelling would not be graded as long as the student could get the "meaning" across in the sentence or paragraph written! Oh, and by the way, these graduates are working in our medical services, financial institutions, and other places where "meaning" better be EXACT, or big mistakes happen.

Like we'd said, "K-Mart Kollege".
Deming-ite

United States

#5 Sep 17, 2010
Speaker wrote:
I concur, ridgewoman. Having taught at WMNU myself, I understand what you're talking about. And also being Caucasian, I ran into immediate problems when taking an A/V issue to the Director and hearing him suggest I had a "personality problem" with the Tech (and Dean's son) because my A/V problem wasn't addressed by the Tech professionally! In the Midwest where I've mostly taught, performance management is focused on behaviors, not personalities (which is how I've seen Hispanic managers "manage").
That Director was also the same idiot who replied, "Just get them through", when asked what to do when students enrolled in Public Speaking couldn''t speak English.
And when he poorly planned courses for the next semester, adding extra sections, then finding only 2-3 students enrolled in each class, he asked, "Would you teach two sections for half the pay"? No thanks, and goodbye, was my response.
I once saw an English Composition FINAL EXAM at the Deming Campus stating spelling would not be graded as long as the student could get the "meaning" across in the sentence or paragraph written! Oh, and by the way, these graduates are working in our medical services, financial institutions, and other places where "meaning" better be EXACT, or big mistakes happen.
Like we'd said, "K-Mart Kollege".
How weird with you stating the same thing I complained about over 30 yrs. ago when my daughters were in grade school. A teacher told me she didn't care how my daughters spelled when I mentioned this fact, it was the content of a story they wrote that she was more interested in. So, you see this "I don't care what the spelling's like" started many, many years ago. Luckily my daughters later on did care about the correct way and made themselves better by reading, of all things, Reader's Digest Word Power, getting not only the meaning of certain words, but concentrating on how things were spelled, no thanks to that one teacher.

The worst thing anyone came up with is Phonetics, think that's the correct term and spelling, but that's how they started kids learning to spell, just spell the word how it sounds, instead of making them memorize it, that's how I was taught in school many years ago.
Speaker

Silver City, NM

#6 Sep 18, 2010
Yes, Deming-ite, and now you can understand how "Spanglish" has resulted.

As soon as I moved acros the state line into New Mexico, it was if the apostrophe, especially used in possessive, was completely misunderstood.

To the point of spelling not important is wholly wrong, especially at the college level - and a final exam, at that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Western New Mexico University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gila EDA Roundtable hears updates from meeting ... Jun '14 just asking 1
Grant County residents get a whiff of rotten eggs Jun '14 Zeke the Geek 1
Branch school honors Dia de los Muertos (Oct '13) Oct '13 I love the southwest 1
Gila EDA Roundtable 101813, part 3, community u... (Oct '13) Oct '13 What 1
Gila EDA Roundtable hears from Furniture Galler... (Jun '13) Aug '13 Paul Christianson 6
'Together for a Better Grant County' Ballot off... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Exodus 2
Social work program earns accreditation (Jun '13) Jun '13 North Central Ass... 2
•••

Western New Mexico University People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••