Bowling Green City Commission Votes To Move Parking Structure

Oct 7, 2009 Full story: WBKO-TV Bowling Green 10

The planned parking structure won't be built downtown, but rather near Western Kentucky University's campus.

Full Story
WKUAlum

Canton, OH

#1 Oct 8, 2009
I really have nothing against WKU but when it the university going to stop taking advantage of the taxpayers of Bowling Green. Surely President Ransdell had the budget to build a parking garage without using money targeted for downtown development.

BG elected officials once again bow and kiss the ring of Dr Gary. Thanks, thanks alot!
WKUAlum

Canton, OH

#2 Oct 8, 2009
excuse the typo. should have been "when is" and a "?" and the sentences end.
classic rocker

Elberfeld, IN

#3 Oct 8, 2009
It's about time the city did something for Western. As much as Western employees fork over in occupational tax, even though WKU is NOT on city property, the city SHOULD be kissing the ring of President Ransdell.
mindwarping

Bowling Green, KY

#4 Oct 8, 2009
classic rocker wrote:
It's about time the city did something for Western. As much as Western employees fork over in occupational tax, even though WKU is NOT on city property, the city SHOULD be kissing the ring of President Ransdell.
I disagree totally. As many tax dollars that already get pumped into WKU they don't need more. The WKU fatcats already receive handsome salary packages for their three or four days of work per week. WKU has raised tuition rates drastically over the past 10 years. They got a sweetheart deal over the first SKYPAC property fiasco and made a million bucks.

Here's one for ya, if WKU doesn't like the deal they're getting in BG, move the freakin' thing somewhere else. There is absolutely zero logic in this parking garage move as it relates to the citizens of BG. You really have to be completely ignorant to not see all the inside dealing that occurred on this deal.

By the way, anyone that works in BG pays occupational tax. This is how they enjoy the many benefits of working in BG and the citizens enjoy low property tax rates. It is a valid point to a small degree but WKU benefits more than the citizens by being here.
classic rocker

Elberfeld, IN

#5 Oct 8, 2009
Of course there was inside dealing. Everyone scratches each others back around here. And Western employees do not work in the city; they work on a state university campus which is on land that is not part of the city even though it is surrounded by the city. So that is another deal made a long time ago before Gary Ransdell came along: WKU employees will go on paying occupational tax so that Western and Bowling Green can enjoy a nice cordial symbiotic relationship. The city understands the deal they are getting and cooperates with Western as much as possible.
mindwarping

Bowling Green, KY

#6 Oct 8, 2009
classic rocker wrote:
Of course there was inside dealing. Everyone scratches each others back around here. And Western employees do not work in the city; they work on a state university campus which is on land that is not part of the city even though it is surrounded by the city. So that is another deal made a long time ago before Gary Ransdell came along: WKU employees will go on paying occupational tax so that Western and Bowling Green can enjoy a nice cordial symbiotic relationship. The city understands the deal they are getting and cooperates with Western as much as possible.
OK, so what is the great deal that the citizens of BG get from WKU? Is King Gary gonna up and move the university if he didn't get the parking garage moved? Is King Gary gonna hire all staff from outside BG to make our unemployment rate in crease? C'mon, surely you're not that ignorant.
classic rocker

Elberfeld, IN

#7 Oct 8, 2009
I don't know what Gary would have done had they not moved the garage, but he had already offered $250,000 a year for 20 years to rent spaces downtown even before there were plans to move it. At that time, no one at Western understood what the hell good that would do them. And his offer still stands with $300,000 a year for the next 10 years after that.

Obviously not everyone in BG benefits from having a state university in its backyard, but the city as a whole benefits greatly. If Western suddenly disappeared, then there would be about 12000 less 20-22 year-olds renting apartments and buying all manner of junk, there would be no Diddle Arena to host state-wide basketball tournaments, families would have no choice but to send their kids away to college, etc.

Basically, whether good or bad, Bowling Green never would have grown as much as it has without a university helping to drive its economy. Of course its only speculation, but we would probably just be a nice small town like Glasgow. And then we probably never would have gotten the Hot Rods or even have need of a stupid parking garage in the first place.

But there is no doubt that a garage next to Western doesn't help the city at all right now, and I understand why people are pissed and believe that Western is getting the best end of this deal.
itisachupacabra

Canton, OH

#8 Oct 8, 2009
classic rocker wrote:
I don't know what Gary would have done had they not moved the garage, but he had already offered $250,000 a year for 20 years to rent spaces downtown even before there were plans to move it. At that time, no one at Western understood what the hell good that would do them. And his offer still stands with $300,000 a year for the next 10 years after that.
Obviously not everyone in BG benefits from having a state university in its backyard, but the city as a whole benefits greatly. If Western suddenly disappeared, then there would be about 12000 less 20-22 year-olds renting apartments and buying all manner of junk, there would be no Diddle Arena to host state-wide basketball tournaments, families would have no choice but to send their kids away to college, etc.
Basically, whether good or bad, Bowling Green never would have grown as much as it has without a university helping to drive its economy. Of course its only speculation, but we would probably just be a nice small town like Glasgow. And then we probably never would have gotten the Hot Rods or even have need of a stupid parking garage in the first place.
But there is no doubt that a garage next to Western doesn't help the city at all right now, and I understand why people are pissed and believe that Western is getting the best end of this deal.
WKU renting the spaces downtown made more sense, for the citizens, than moving the garage. Just add the "downtown" garage to the BR shuttle route and let the little darlings park at the garage and ride the shuttle. Then the downtown businesses could have benefited from a garage. Not too likely that business people will travel to BG to stay in the hotel at 14th and Kentucky unless they're visiting King Gary. Also not likely that people who shop or conduct business downtown, with limited parking, are gonna park at 14th and Kentucky or wherever thise garage will end up.

Yes, some are pissed. Now that BB&T has bought up the corner parking area there is literally a few parking places downtown.
toobad

Bowling Green, KY

#9 Oct 9, 2009
itisachupacabra wrote:
<quoted text>
WKU renting the spaces downtown made more sense, for the citizens, than moving the garage. Just add the "downtown" garage to the BR shuttle route and let the little darlings park at the garage and ride the shuttle. Then the downtown businesses could have benefited from a garage. Not too likely that business people will travel to BG to stay in the hotel at 14th and Kentucky unless they're visiting King Gary. Also not likely that people who shop or conduct business downtown, with limited parking, are gonna park at 14th and Kentucky or wherever thise garage will end up.
Yes, some are pissed. Now that BB&T has bought up the corner parking area there is literally a few parking places downtown.
That method would have worked better than moving the garage. Even though the ballpark didn't need the garage it would have been nice for those of us that own businesses or work downtown and battle the parking issue daily. Thanks alot Gary.
heisgay

United States

#10 Oct 9, 2009
Its all about WKU. Remember this the next city commission election.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Western Kentucky University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jackson opens chiropractic office in Morgantown Dec 12 Taylor 11
Nappy Roots (Oct '11) Nov 23 Luck 17
Republican Rand Paul, son of Ron Paul, joins Ky... (Aug '09) Oct '14 Tyler 4
Brawner, Turner Oct '14 BG newbie 1
Food trucks unlikely in Bowling Green Jul '14 Bobby 3
Lawson Spann Kicks Off Campaign Tour in Frankfort (Jun '14) Jun '14 NewsmanOPN 8
Amos, Chestnut to wed (Apr '14) May '14 Lactose 2
More from around the web