Birth defects study: More inconvenient facts about the impact of mountaintop removal coal mining

Jul 1, 2011 Full story: blogs.wvgazette.com 39

June 30, 2011 by Ken Ward Jr. Researchers found "significantly higher" rates of birth defects in areas with mountaintop removal mines than in non-mining regions in central Appalachia, according to a study released Tuesday.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
emm

United States

#1 Jul 1, 2011
Although I have not read the entire study yet and by means am an expert at interpreting scientific studies, the growing evidence that the "fall out" from MTR significantly outweighs the small number of TEMPORARY jobs created. We as citizens deserve better. Our elected officials claim to be for West Virginia but if you look at their track records the only thing they are for is the coal company that keeps their pockets filled with dirty money. It is sad that ALL West Virginians don't stand up and demand they protect us instead of allowing this genocide to continue.
emm

United States

#2 Jul 1, 2011
I am reading the actual study now and find on page three..."Rates for any anomaly were approximately 235 per 10,000 live births in the mountaintop mining area versus 144 per 10,000 live births in the non-mining area." This is significant even if other factors were not accounted for and the study says they were. Do we really chance this? Do we really put our childrens lives on the line for a dollar?
daisy212

Beckley, WV

#3 Jul 1, 2011
So your blaming it on minng again. Read the studies on southern wv being the highest area of pill abuse and deaths from their abuse of pain pills in the USA . Dont you think this has something to do with it and also the fact that this area has the least with medical insurance in the country. Its not all coal. Many things in this area needs addressed before blame is placed on any one thing!!!!!!!!!

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

#4 Jul 1, 2011
daisy212 wrote:
So your blaming it on minng again. Read the studies on southern wv being the highest area of pill abuse and deaths from their abuse of pain pills in the USA . Dont you think this has something to do with it and also the fact that this area has the least with medical insurance in the country. Its not all coal. Many things in this area needs addressed before blame is placed on any one thing!!!!!!!!!
And MTR along with pill abuse are two of the best places to start. The mountains and streams can't wait. Besides, the study is not about what contributes the most, it is only about the scientific evidence found relating to MTR and the adverse effects those findings have on births of children, not the affects of parental drug abuse relating to birth defects. Two completely seperate studies that use different forms of evidence to arrive to conclusions and results. It's not always that hard for these scientists to be able to determine the exact causes of different types of birth defects.

Since: Apr 11

Beckley, WV

#5 Jul 1, 2011
Does it address lack of prenatal care at all or the incidence of teen pregnancy? How about smoking?Drinking? I'm certain these are contributing factors as well.
emm

Fayetteville, WV

#6 Jul 1, 2011
daisy212 wrote:
those factors were allowed for in the study. that is why it's called a scientific study and WVU participated in the study. our own university is saying once again that MTR is bad for not only our health but our environment. that the small number of jobs are not worth the overwhelming detrimental effects.
emm

Fayetteville, WV

#7 Jul 1, 2011
holdonaminit wrote:
Does it address lack of prenatal care at all or the incidence of teen pregnancy? How about smoking?Drinking? I'm certain these are contributing factors as well.
Yes it does...you should read the study.
emm

Fayetteville, WV

#8 Jul 1, 2011
"The disparity present in the mountaintop mining area is partly accounted for by socioeconomic disadvantage and associated risks. For example, pregnant mothers in the mountaintop mining area are more likely to smoke and to have lower level of education, reflecting the chronically disadvantaged nature of mining-dependent economies and the associated burden of poor health for Appalachian residents in coal mining areas. Research has shown that coal mining areas have the highest poverty rates, unemployment rates, and age adjusted death rates in the region." pg. 6
emm

Fayetteville, WV

#9 Jul 1, 2011
I just wonder what it will take for people to realize "they" think "we" are expendable. We are being systematically wiped out.

Definition Genocide - the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#10 Jul 1, 2011
Experts, my ass. X is an unknown factor and a spirt is a drip under pressure. Smoking and swallowing pills and alcohol and obsiesity have more to do with birth defects than MTR. Once you insert the name Ken Ward into a story there is no credability or believeability. Just one more tree hugger out to destroy the economy of WV with junk science. Figures dont lie, but all liars figure.

“Bored with insomnia”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#11 Jul 1, 2011
Low birth weight? I guess living a half a mile from an MTR site didn't hit me with that problem, my baby weighed 10 pounds. Sorry I know this is a serious issue, but wanted to lighten up with some humor. I am not going to say that this report is incorrect because I do not know, I do know however in the area I grew up in over the last ten years has become so overrun with drug abuse that I am surprised the bulk of the population can even reproduce. Much of the area is unemployed and uninsured. Also, some things you got to think about, alot of the problems with the water down my way was not mtr but our wells and springs actually running through a coal seam, at least that is the problem I had and a few others I know. I also have to mention the fact that several residents not only have their raw sewage running in the creek but their household sink draining as well (household chemicals, detergent, etc) And as I said I am not arguing this point I just wanted to put some other stuff out there too.
emm

Fayetteville, WV

#12 Jul 2, 2011
capitalist pig wrote:
Experts, my ass. X is an unknown factor and a spirt is a drip under pressure. Smoking and swallowing pills and alcohol and obsiesity have more to do with birth defects than MTR. Once you insert the name Ken Ward into a story there is no credability or believeability. Just one more tree hugger out to destroy the economy of WV with junk science. Figures dont lie, but all liars figure.
Pig, Mr Ward did not do the study or hire the study done he only published it because most other local news sources will not publish anything anti coal because they are paid by the coal companies not to. So once again where the bias lay?
emm

Fayetteville, WV

#13 Jul 2, 2011
Brandycwv wrote:
Low birth weight? I guess living a half a mile from an MTR site didn't hit me with that problem, my baby weighed 10 pounds. Sorry I know this is a serious issue, but wanted to lighten up with some humor. I am not going to say that this report is incorrect because I do not know, I do know however in the area I grew up in over the last ten years has become so overrun with drug abuse that I am surprised the bulk of the population can even reproduce. Much of the area is unemployed and uninsured. Also, some things you got to think about, alot of the problems with the water down my way was not mtr but our wells and springs actually running through a coal seam, at least that is the problem I had and a few others I know. I also have to mention the fact that several residents not only have their raw sewage running in the creek but their household sink draining as well (household chemicals, detergent, etc) And as I said I am not arguing this point I just wanted to put some other stuff out there too.
Your points are all true but those factors were allowed for in the study...well, the drug abuse, smoking, etc were. I think what I am getting from the study is that in the MTR areas there were higher respiratory and neurological defects than any other anomalies. So my question is...If we all know that drugs, smoking, lack of prenatal care is an issue but if it is proven that MTR is also a big issue do we allow MTR to continue? I mean do we allow this practice if it is proven it adds to the chance a baby will be born with a defect? I say not.

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Location hidden

#14 Jul 2, 2011
capitalist pig wrote:
Ken Ward didn't do the study, he just reported it. Geez!

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Location hidden

#15 Jul 2, 2011
emm wrote:
<quoted text>Your points are all true but those factors were allowed for in the study...well, the drug abuse, smoking, etc were. I think what I am getting from the study is that in the MTR areas there were higher respiratory and neurological defects than any other anomalies. So my question is...If we all know that drugs, smoking, lack of prenatal care is an issue but if it is proven that MTR is also a big issue do we allow MTR to continue? I mean do we allow this practice if it is proven it adds to the chance a baby will be born with a defect? I say not.
Exactly. If pills, smoking, obesity, alcohol, and MTR contribute in any way to birth defects, then YES, MTR along with all the other factors need to be addressed. Common sense.
capitalist pig

Beckley, WV

#16 Jul 2, 2011
EMM thanks for making my point, Mr Ward often prints stories that no one else will. Given the ongoing war against coal being waged by the Obama Administration I dont think you can say their is any shortage of people to do anti-coal stories. But I know where you are coming from as you are consistent in your views and opinions. The main issue for me is that as a state we are too unhealthy for a variety of reasons. Of course people in general are not as healthy in areas where heavy manufacturing and mineral extraction take place. That is just a fact of life in those areas. West Virginians as a whole need to lay of the tobacco,alcohol, pills, gravy and biscuits. Im good on the alcohol, pills and tobacco, but I am not giving up my gravy and biscuits
pops

Tarboro, NC

#17 Jul 2, 2011
capitalist pig wrote:
Marrying their cousins doesnt help either.hehehehe

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Location hidden

#18 Jul 2, 2011
capitalist pig wrote:
EMM thanks for making my point, Mr Ward often prints stories that no one else will. Given the ongoing war against coal being waged by the Obama Administration I dont think you can say their is any shortage of people to do anti-coal stories. But I know where you are coming from as you are consistent in your views and opinions. The main issue for me is that as a state we are too unhealthy for a variety of reasons. Of course people in general are not as healthy in areas where heavy manufacturing and mineral extraction take place. That is just a fact of life in those areas. West Virginians as a whole need to lay of the tobacco,alcohol, pills, gravy and biscuits. Im good on the alcohol, pills and tobacco, but I am not giving up my gravy and biscuits
But the report originates from our own college in this state and that's good enough for me. The only possible reasons for a report such as this to be a story that some may not want to print, is if those same people that don't want to print it are also pro-MTR. Which in turn usually makes up of the people who work at it, which also is a very minute fraction of our states total population.

“Don't Start Rumors!”

Location hidden

#19 Jul 2, 2011
Not really worth having around at all. We did fine before it came about and we can do fine without it now. Its benefits were for the coal company owners and them only. Its sure as hell no benefit to the people that are natives of these wonderful mountains. If we don't stop it soon, our WVU football team will soon be called "The Mountainlesseers. That wouldn't be cool.

“Bored with insomnia”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#20 Jul 2, 2011
pops wrote:
<quoted text>Marrying their cousins doesnt help either.hehehehe
lmao, only matters with the first cousin... JUST KIDDIN PEOPLE ;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

West Virginia University Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WVU Player Arrested, Extradited Thu Hate Thread - Ignore 12
Pickering hires four professionals Jul '14 Jam 1
Urgent care growth, popularity continue locally Jul '14 Franklin Aguas 1
WVU President Gordon Gee To Earn $775,000 Under... Jul '14 bbhills 1
Economist: 'It's going to take money' to mainta... May '14 Jorja Fox 2
Robert Cottrill Apr '14 who is he 2
Mushrooms help state student win scholarship Mar '14 hmmm 2
•••

West Virginia University People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE